Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Diver Looking for dives!

Options
  • 09-10-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys n dolls, im new to the scene and have my PADI open water certification.

I recently got my hands on a few bits and pieces for diving (wet suits snorkles, goggles, boots and gloves) and since they have arrived in the post i have be dieing to go out diving!

So im currently trying to suss out the clubs and facilities around galway. I have been on an open day trial with Galway Dive Club and had a fantastic time.

Any advice or details you can give to me at all would be much appreciated!

Also if there is anyone out there goin on a dive in Galway and have no problem with a tag along coming along please send me a Private Message :)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

pyroger101 wrote: »
    Hey guys n dolls, im new to the scene and have my PADI open water certification.

I recently got my hands on a few bits and pieces for diving (wet suits snorkles, goggles, boots and gloves) and since they have arrived in the post i have be dieing to go out diving!

So im currently trying to suss out the clubs and facilities around galway. I have been on an open day trial with Galway Dive Club and had a fantastic time.

Any advice or details you can give to me at all would be much appreciated!

Also if there is anyone out there goin on a dive in Galway and have no problem with a tag along coming along please send me a Private Message :)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Ger

Best advice I can give you is get up to ScubaDiveWest. Boats dives running twice a day, shore diving as good as almost any shore dive in the country as often as you want, and they'll help fix you up with a buddy, particularly at the weekend when there's more chance of another buddyless diver being there, or maybe a group with an odd number.

Where did you do the OW?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pyroger101

Best advice I can give you is get up to ScubaDiveWest. Boats dives running twice a day, shore diving as good as almost any shore dive in the country as often as you want, and they'll help fix you up with a buddy, particularly at the weekend when there's more chance of another buddyless diver being there, or maybe a group with an odd number.

Where did you do the OW?

Hey cheers for that! I did the open water in majorica however i have dived with the galway scuba club since so i have my cold water experience...buurrr!!

Any idea on prices? are you staff or a customer of scuba dive west.

Need to rent : fins, bcd, regs n weights

Cheers

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

My advice would be, if your going to get into doing it regularly, start picking up bits of gear all the time.. Once you have it and take care of it, you have it for a long time..

Hey cheers for that! I did the open water in majorica however i have dived with the galway scuba club since so i have my cold water experience...buurrr!!

Cheers

Ger

Not staff.
    I dive as a customer of theirs 3-4 times a year.

Cheers

Ger

As for prices, it depends what you're doing; shore dives are the cheapest, weekend-long safari trips are the dearest. To be honest, more often than not I'm there on a package organised through Adventure Diving in Co. Meath, it always includes accomodation, sometimes includes meals, and whether it's a 2 or 3 day package depends on whether or not it's a Bank Holiday weekend. So, price varies between about €200-€350 for the weekend.
    I suggest you ring them. 095 43922. The bosses are brothers Cillian and Breffni Gray. Both good guys. Alot of the bookings etc seem to be handled by Deirdre. She's great craic, not to mention easy on the eye!

I've never hired any gear there, so can't help you on that.

Addendum: At the end of the day, though, the monetary cost of diving is always going to be greater through a PADI centre than through a club. A PADI centre is a business. It provides a service, puts a price upon it, and if you want to use that service you pay the price. However, it's pure economics; if the price is too high, nobody will be willing to pay it!
    A club organises dive for its members, who pay a membership fee. My understanding is that once you're a trained diver, though, you'll be expected to help the club out by donating some of your time to assisting in the training of newer divers (I'm a PADI diver, not a club diver so I'm leaving myself open to correction on this). Also, PADI divers who join clubs may (or so I've heard!) find a certain degree of difficulty in getting the club to recognise the qualifications they've already obtained through PADI.

Whatever route you decide to go down, please remember that the PADI OW dive qualification is only the beginning of your diving education. It continues on from there, and overall is a very rewarding process. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pyroger101

As for prices, it depends what you're doing; shore dives are the cheapest, weekend-long safari trips are the dearest. To be honest, more often than not I'm there on a package organised through Adventure Diving in Co. Meath, it always includes accomodation, sometimes includes meals, and whether it's a 2 or 3 day package depends on whether or not it's a Bank Holiday weekend. So, price varies between about €200-€350 for the weekend.
    I suggest you ring them. 095 43922. The bosses are brothers Cillian and Breffni Gray. Both good guys. Alot of the bookings etc seem to be handled by Deirdre. She's great craic, not to mention easy on the eye!

I've never hired any gear there, so can't help you on that.

Addendum: At the end of the day, though, the monetary cost of diving is always going to be greater through a PADI centre than through a club. A PADI centre is a business. It provides a service, puts a price upon it, and if you want to use that service you pay the price. However, it's pure economics; if the price is too high, nobody will be willing to pay it!
    A club organises dive for its members, who pay a membership fee. My understanding is that once you're a trained diver, though, you'll be expected to help the club out by donating some of your time to assisting in the training of newer divers (I'm a PADI diver, not a club diver so I'm leaving myself open to correction on this). Also, PADI divers who join clubs may (or so I've heard!) find a certain degree of difficulty in getting the club to recognise the qualifications they've already obtained through PADI.

Whatever route you decide to go down, please remember that the PADI OW dive qualification is only the beginning of your diving education. It continues on from there, and overall is a very rewarding process. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

ok well as you can tell from the time of this response its stupid o clock and i may be en peu tipsy! ha, but i do seriously appreciate the response and i will get onto the guys in scubadivewest, ill have to get my advanced done asap if i want any respect id imagine.

Thanks again for your response, much appreciated,

anything in the meantime by all means send me a pm,

Ger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Ger respect is not down to the qualifacations but your overall experiance which will get better the more dives you do. I have seen great divers with little or no quaifactions and poor divers with high qualifactions. it really depends on how you react to a proble should one occur do you panick or keep the head. training and experiance builds this up so if a problem does occur you instinctively do whats required instead of blind panick.

Advertisement