Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ozzy Osbourne book signing tomorrow at Easons

• 09-10-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eason.ie/events

Dunno if anyone else has heard of this, but the man himself, Ozzy Osbourne is appearing in Easons on O'Connell Street between 11am and 3pm tomorrow, Saturday to sign copies of his book "I am Ozzy".

I, for one, will be there!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yeah, theres a few signs up around Easons. I wont be in dublin at the weekend ubfortunately, but the OH will be going - I may co-erce her to get me a signed book :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

He's on Late Late tonight aswell:)...with Sharon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

yip yep cant wait!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nice one ! Didn't know about this, will definately drop in !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Ozzy on the late late show????ahahaha this I have to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

drawnacrol wrote: »
    Ozzy on the late late show????ahahaha this I have to see

Oooooooh, best pop down to Eurospar for a box of eggs and put me Maiden shirt on. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

UP THE IRONS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Drove up, bought the book got in the queue to have it signed, waited for 90 minutes then some Easons guy comes out and says we're not going to be able to see him as there won't be enough time as he has to go... disappointed obviously but went inside to see how he was looking... surprisingly well actually and well it's a shame as I'm a big fan would of like to of said hello...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My Ma just met him/got a book signed in Hughs and hughs.

I on the other hand am sitting on the couch with a broken leg.

:mad:

I'll never hear the end of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Just back from Hughes & Hughes in Stephen's Green myself. Got my book signed and a handshake and brief chat from the legend himself. They wouldnt allow people to take pictures though. I was really disappointed with that.

The staff behind the counter werent the best. You got a ticket with every book you bought, without it you couldnt get your book signed. They kept forgetting to give people tickets. The girl behind me in the queue bought three books but they only gave her two tickets?? The guy scanning the queue told her she could only get two books signed. The queue was very long . .went form the store to outside so some people had to go back in and get tickets, including myself. Farce. I wont go to a book signing there again. Easons are much more professional and organised.

But it was worth it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Noffles wrote: »
    Drove up, bought the book got in the queue to have it signed, waited for 90 minutes then some Easons guy comes out and says we're not going to be able to see him as there won't be enough time as he has to go... disappointed obviously but went inside to see how he was looking... surprisingly well actually and well it's a shame as I'm a big fan would of like to of said hello...!

Don't worry about it mate - you didn't miss much. I've been an Ozzy / Sabbath fan since around '84 and been to all the gigs (McGonagles, Top Hat, Point etc) so it was a big deal for me.

I joined the Que for Hughes & Hughes at 11am and entered H&H at 3.40pm only for my book to be snatched from my hand by staff and passed through three other members of staff to Ozzy - I was then only let through to collect it. As I picked up my book I said "Thanks Ozzy" and he never even looked up :(

I bought a coffee and watched the next half hour from the balcony in the St Stephens Green shopping center and it was pretty much the same experience for everyone. Seen a lot of people try to get a handshake etc to just get ignored. A few did manage handshakes but it looked hard got each time.

I know he has to get through a lot of folks but its just as quick to say 'cheers' or 'your welcome' than to blank people. I would rather he just ink stamped the book and I got a 'thanks for buying the book' or 'hope you like it' than the conveyor belt that was today's nonsense.

Hughes & Hughes staff roaring at people to stop talking photos was also idiotic. The way they spoke to people carrying picture discs or posters was a disgrace. "Put that away, HE WILL NOT BE SIGNING THAT!!" was what people were being told as they got to the door.

Seen one guy turned away as he bought his book at a different shop.

Any other book signing that I have been to over the years was at Easons and I never seen anything like that happen before so maybe not all Ozzy's people's fault.

Well, they do say never meet your heroes I suppose ..

• Advertisement

Nico22 wrote: »
    I joined the Que for Hughes & Hughes at 11am and entered H&H at 3.40pm only for my book to be snatched from my hand by staff and passed through three other members of staff to Ozzy - I was then only let through to collect it. As I picked up my book I said "Thanks Ozzy" and he never even looked up :(

Hughes & Hughes staff roaring at people to stop talking photos was also idiotic. The way they spoke to people carrying picture discs or posters was a disgrace. "Put that away, HE WILL NOT BE SIGNING THAT!!" was what people were being told as they got to the door.

Seen one guy turned away as he bought his book at a different shop.

Any other book signing that I have been to over the years was at Easons and I never seen anything like that happen before so maybe not all Ozzy's people's fault.

Well, they do say never meet your heroes I suppose ..

I was near the middle/end of the queue. I couldnt get into town until 2pm unfortunately. As it got toward the end of the queue they were more relaxed about people meeting him as they managed to get most people through in the first hour, which was very unfair on the people like yourself that queued earlier. I got a handshake no problem, I said thanks and he looked up smiled and mumbled something. I was very disappointed at not getting a pic though:(.

As I said I wouldnt go to another book signing at this place. The whole ticket thing was a joke. Scabby b*stards.

Easons do it the right way. The same woman is always there and shes lovely. She even takes the pic for you if no one is with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You mean he actually showed up to something for once?
    That's a turn for the books.

You mean he actually showed up to something for once?
    That's a turn for the books.

Well thank Christ it wasnt Axel Rose, wed still be waiting.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

aw sounds like some peeps had bad experiences there anyway! Easons was great though tbh! :D still all buzzed up lol
    got my pic with him and told him I thought he RAWKED! and he smiled and said thanks! oh and got a piccy! tbh i think hes just tyred and the bodyguard next to him kept telling him stuff, so he was probably told whether he should say anything or whatever! was a savage day anyway, meeting THE ORIGINAL rock star himself! :D

840941585a11711132354l.jpg
    Type their name

arrow_forward_big.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Aww wish i'd live in dublin. Something like this almost never happens in Cork branch:( buaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Went in around 10 ish to Easons, got the book and went outside to que. Was there for a while when a guy came out and said if we're this far back we won't get to see him and to try Hughes and Hughes. Problem was I was meant to be in work at 3.

So had lunch with my mate then we strolled up to Stephen's Green only to find that 1) You had to have bought the book there
    2) He wouldn't be signing any other merchandise.

Wasn't going to buy the book again or go back to Easons and return the other one. I really wanted to get an album or two signed too. Was gonna call in late for work and all. Just a big disappointment overall :(

Sounds like it was shít in Hughes and Hughes anyway so I'm not as annoyed now.

On the plus side I was coming out of the toilets in tower records upstairs and just as I was stepping onto the escalator I looked back and saw Ozzy and a security guard walking by to the lift :D He was right behind me!
    Read some of the book and it's pretty good. So I suppose thats something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Got me book signed. Got a handshake, and a "How are ya, mate"? in his Brummie accent from the Ozzmeister! Hughes n Hughes either didn't think the crowd was gonna be that big, or their preparations were just plain s***e!? The signing would've been better off being held in a bigger area, and not at the front of the shop!?

Did the queue eventually all get through in Easons then... Don't tell me they all did and I left too early....???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Noffles wrote: »
    Did the queue eventually all get through in Easons then... Don't tell me they all did and I left too early....???

Dunno? I was turned away from Easons, which is why I headed for Hughes n Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I'd love to have gone but since I left Dublin a few years ago to return to the Sunny South East I'm missing all of these things. Doesn't sound like the Hughes & Hughes one was very well organised though. If anyone's read it they might let us know if it's worth the read.

• Advertisement

Manic087 wrote: »
    I'd love to have gone but since I left Dublin a few years ago to return to the Sunny South East I'm missing all of these things. Doesn't sound like the Hughes & Hughes one was very well organised though. If anyone's read it they might let us know if it's worth the read.

I left Dublin too and ended up in the Stupid South East... sorry I meant Sunny... You just have to drive EVERYWHERE!!

Starting the book later on, flicked through, looks an interesting read.

Good to see I wasn't the only one to get turned away anyway!

Seen that the Audio version is now available and was hoping (foolishly) that Ozzy would be reading it but not to be :)

Fellow brummie Frank Skinner does the honours ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-am-Ozzy-Osbourne/dp/1405502525

Good audio interview ..

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/player/7355/interview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Glad to hear some Boardies ended up at the signing, I'm just sorry that some of you had a negative experience due to the staff policies. It really is a joke how these things are handled, all semblence of a personal meet and greet is removed.

I joined the O'Connell St. queue at about 7am. I had brought along my treasured Gibson Les Paul Special in a hope that I could ask Ozzy to sign it. I know, "a vocalist sign a guitar? wut", but I have so much respect for what the man has done for the music industry, I felt it would be a blessing just to have it in his presence.

So after several hours the time comes, and people are visibly excited. Then I get to witness that look of excitement fade on each face, one by one, as Eason security informs everyone just as they get to the signing area that "Absolutely NO memerobilia would be signed". Black Sabbath LP's and the likes were put back into bags in the utmost misery. Seeing as it was a very tightly bound queue, I didn't return my Les Paul to its case. I just held it down by my side as I approached Ozzy, not intending to mention it.

After signing my book, he notices the head of the guitar and asks "What's that man?". I nearly sh*t myself. They said NO memerobilia was to be signed. But I decided to take my chances. "Uhm... I... This is my guitar Ozzy, I was going to ask you to sign it, bu-"

"Yeah, sure thing man!"

I cannot put into words how I felt at that moment. To see such an iconic vision of musical accomplishment, sitting before me with my guitar in his hands, with an expression that just made me know he liked it... I don't think I'll ever have that feeling again. When handing it back to me, I shook his hand and said "Ozzy, you just made my f*cking day mate", and I left the table as he smiled that ever-infectious grin at me.

I never, ever get starstruck when meeting celebrities. It just doesn't happen. But that day Ozzy proved to me that a man can be deeply humbled by the simplest of gestures. I walked away from that table, guitar in my arms, wide-eyed at its latest addition.

I could almost swear it sounds better now too. :D

You can't tell us that and not include photos :D

Happy for you .. just goes to show it was a staff issue really due to the amount that turned up. Hope you got a pic of him signing it - would be nice framed.

Happy for you .. just goes to show it was a staff issue really due to the amount that turned up. Hope you got a pic of him signing it - would be nice framed.

Luckily, I had a friend on-hand to capture the moment. Just waiting for the lazy ****e to upload the photo and I'll gladly show you guys! Will upload a snap of the signed baby itself when I get home from work. :)

Pardon the image quality mate, taken with literally the world's worst camera phone. :pac:

Image119.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Glad to hear some Boardies ended up at the signing, I'm just sorry that some of you had a negative experience due to the staff policies. It really is a joke how these things are handled, all semblence of a personal meet and greet is removed.

I joined the O'Connell St. queue at about 7am. I had brought along my treasured Gibson Les Paul Special in a hope that I could ask Ozzy to sign it. I know, "a vocalist sign a guitar? wut", but I have so much respect for what the man has done for the music industry, I felt it would be a blessing just to have it in his presence.

So after several hours the time comes, and people are visibly excited. Then I get to witness that look of excitement fade on each face, one by one, as Eason security informs everyone just as they get to the signing area that "Absolutely NO memerobilia would be signed". Black Sabbath LP's and the likes were put back into bags in the utmost misery. Seeing as it was a very tightly bound queue, I didn't return my Les Paul to its case. I just held it down by my side as I approached Ozzy, not intending to mention it.

After signing my book, he notices the head of the guitar and asks "What's that man?". I nearly sh*t myself. They said NO memerobilia was to be signed. But I decided to take my chances. "Uhm... I... This is my guitar Ozzy, I was going to ask you to sign it, bu-"

"Yeah, sure thing man!"

I cannot put into words how I felt at that moment. To see such an iconic vision of musical accomplishment, sitting before me with my guitar in his hands, with an expression that just made me know he liked it... I don't think I'll ever have that feeling again. When handing it back to me, I shook his hand and said "Ozzy, you just made my f*cking day mate", and I left the table as he smiled that ever-infectious grin at me.

I never, ever get starstruck when meeting celebrities. It just doesn't happen. But that day Ozzy proved to me that a man can be deeply humbled by the simplest of gestures. I walked away from that table, guitar in my arms, wide-eyed at its latest addition.

Brilliant story. Delighted that someone has a good story from the signings. Nice pic too mate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

"Yeah, sure thing man!"

Brilliant story, great to read it!

Great story about the guitar... made me smile!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, was a lot of fun to tell! :D

Advertisement