Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting another cat?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    This is a bit long winded but I’d like to get the view of other cat owners out there.

We adopted two kittens last October when they were about 6 weeks old. They are brother and sister and now nearly a year later they boss the house. We have brought them up as indoor cats and are considering letting them out in the evenings in the next month after all the Halloween bangers are used up. The reason for starting to let them out is because any time we have allowed them out into the garden for a short while, they absolutely love it and now whenever we go near the back door, they trot over and start whining to be let out. I just figure it’s a bit cruel to keep them cooped up all day. We’re not going to let them stay out 24/7 but just for an hour or two in the evening to allow them stretch their legs.

It has to be said that they are absolutely adorable and are very affectionate both to us and each other. Occasionally they tear lumps off each other but within half an hour they’re cuddled up together asleep on the sofa. I don’t think they’ve been separated for more than half and hour since they’ve been born and as a result, they get quite upset if they can’t find each other after a few minutes. Currently they seem remarkably happy.

This morning I was asked a question by Mrs H. A friend of hers was given a male kitten a few months ago as a present but now he has to give him away. The reason being that another member of the house doesn’t like cats. It’s a terrible shame because he is very attached to him. Mrs H suggested we adopt the kitten. Part of me thinks this is a fantastic idea and I wouldn’t mind a third cat.
    However, another part of me is worried as to how this would affect the “dynamic” in the house. The other two cats have never had any contact with other cats in the last year and they have really established their own boundaries.
    To put this in context, they share the same water bowl and fountain and eat their food out of the one plate. They never fight over food unless we give them the occasional “treat”. I’m worried how this would change if a third younger cat was introduced. I’d need a second plate/bowl and this could cause a bit of tension among the three cats. Also, the male cat is very jealous of attention. Whenever his sister is getting petted, he’ll jump up and squeeze in between you and her to ensure he’s getting more attention. He’s also a bit rougher than her and occasionally bullies her.

How would they react with a third smaller cat in the house?
    Essentially, what could/should I do? Is it a good idea to introduce a third younger cat? Will the balance be badly affected in the house? Will the other cats reject him? If/When we start letting them out next month, is there a greater chance they might sulk and leave?
    Any advice would be very gratefully received.
    Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Not sure its much help but we've two brothers who straued into us when they were only about 2 months old.

They're now nearly a year and we fostered a kitten (we say foster but he's staying with us for good the little dote :-) )

Anyways. same as you the other two cats eat ut of same bowl , have their own boundaries etc. So when kitten arrived they were VERY upset , unsure what was going on and generally unhappy at the kitten arrival. So much so that they disapeared for 2 days straight.

Fast forward just a week & a half later and they are already bonding and starting to "tolderate" the kitten but the two cats have been getting loads of extra affection and been made clear that they are still allowed do what they've always done and go where they've always gone.

Sure the above is pretty much no help to you but I'll keep you updated if you like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fryer99

I was the opposite, had 1 cat, then adopted 2 kittens! The cat that was there was a bit put out but got over it. They adapt, they will be jealous but will get over it.

On another note, don't panic too much if after you let your cats out to run around the yard that they are gone when you go to let them in! Happened with all mine, they go exploring! They are basically night animals and will disappear to go hunting! Just to give you a bit of a pre warning! They always come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thanks for the advice folks.
    It looks like we won't be adopting him after all - the owner found someone else who was more than willing to take him in. Problem solved and a happy ending! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Going through a similar situation to this right at the moment. 5 days ago a new kitten was introduced into our house, which already has a 1 year old cat, Gulliver.

Initially it was tense, with Gulliver making groaning noises at the kitten, and trying to go for her with his paws. Within 48 hours they were "cordial." The kitten is curious and makes attempts to approach Gulliver who is more skeptical. Sometimes they attack with paws, but I think thats their idea of fun. Today though when I brought Gulliver in he started biting the back of her neck so unfortunately I had to kick him away. So things havent settled yet, and probably wont for weeks.

Atm I think the situation is mostly dictated by their personalities. The new kitten is a bully, believe it or not, and if Gulliver is lying on either of the two cat beds she will go over and move him off, even if she was on the other one. Last night when Gulliver was on my lap I lifted the kitten onto the arm rest of my couch. She then started hitting Gulliver on the head moving him off.

Moral of the story being that personality can play a role.

Advertisement