Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2yr old birthday gift?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been going out with a girl for the last 10 months, she has a child going on two at the end of the month. Now since i'm so close with my girlfriend even in the short period we've been going out and also how much i get on with her child i want to get her a gift for her birthday!

Thing is before i met her child i had absolutely no experience with children so naturally i'm finding it hard to decide what present to get.

What is a good present to get a two year old and me being the boyfriend i dont want to show up the real dads or my girlfriends presents! My girlfriend is getting her an easal and paints as she took to painting 2 weeks ago!

Oh i'm my girlfriend and myself are 23 and her child is a girl, very hyper lots of energy, loves interacting with other people and animals and learning!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If there's room for it: Our two year old _loves_ her sand pit.

What's your budget? (even a range would be helpful)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Price range would be under 80euro, as i said i'd feel bad if i showed up the fathers present so maybe a sand pit is a bit too much!?

Also I'm not sure if she'd take to it as she's distracted easily so if a dog walked by she'd run after it and forget about it!

How about a word learning thing where she presses the buttons of shapes of animals or something and it says the word! She's just learning to talk (sort of) so would this be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

what is the child into? you could get her some toy/doll/teddy in Smyths relating to whatever she likes, my 2 yr old niece loves Micky Mouse so anyting to do with that she loves, mayb a dvd or something, my bf's 2 year old niece loves Dora - you can get sets in Argos, its a plate, bowl and knife and fork of different characters - such as disney, princess, and so on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got my cousins child baby born (the 1+ one) and some books for her 2nd birthday,she loved them.

Play doh is great too.

And my favourite is -

http://www.crayola.com/products/list.cfm?categories=BEGINNINGS,FIRST%20MARKS

They rock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Present?? wrote: »
    How about a word learning thing where she presses the buttons of shapes of animals or something and it says the word! She's just learning to talk (sort of) so would this be good?

Yeah, we have something like that on the fridge. It's a bunch of magnets, each of which has a letter and an object on it (e.g. E and it's an egg). Then there's a central thing (also magnetic and on the fridge) which talks to the child and says things like "this is a yellow fruit" and she has to find the lemon and put it in the central thing so on. She loves it. Language skills are developing fairly quickly from 2 onwards, so something like that would be cool and useful IMO and unlikely to show up her dad.

edit: Yeah, paints are a great idea too. And cheap. Get a ream of paper (6 euro), 3-6 big assed bottles of paint (like in school) a few cheapo paintbrushes and an apron (essential). Our little one loves painting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies, i'll try smyths they usually have good stuff (maybe not the smyths the father works in though!! :D:D ) I was thinking paints originally but the girlfriend stole that idea! :) She has every toy under the sun!

I think something that she can learn from is good and if it has something to do with her interests as well!

Or i could just ask my girlfriend as obviously she knows her better!

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Books, a good pop up book and one with stories which enough pictures so that the toddler can follow along with.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

books, books and more books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

A book is always a great idea, particularly one which you can read together. Focus on fairy tales that have repeating themes - e.g. The Three Little Pigs etc. It makes for great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

how about a mr potato head? they are about 20quid and good for kids aged two and up...

i just got one for my boyfriends niece and it comes in a great little carry case and everything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

This is so my boyfriends god child, especially since her mother said today that shes getting her paints and an easel....anways we got her this http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/light-sound-funky-footprints even though after him taking her for a trip to mahon today its clearly obvious that shes a lot more stable on her feet then when I last saw her, but still see it as being beneficial to her gross motor development, got her some clothes as well...not like she needs them though!

The mothercare in Mahon Point has opened up an Early Learning Centre section and have some fab toys could have bought everything for her, was spouting off all the theory Ive learned in college saying this this and this would be great for her development!

If all else fails a large cardboard box painted pink should do her! Dont worry about her father shes not old enough to tell him what you got her!

Advertisement