Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

take FE1 now or do LLB

Options
  • 09-10-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    looking for some advise and would be grateful for any help.
    I have a B comm degree and a postgrad - DSA and have been working in finance for the last number of years. However I now have decided that I want a carrer change and want to work in law, as a solicitor.
    Without a law degree under my belt I'm wondering should I go and do an FE1 preparatory course and sit the exams or is that too optimistic and should I sign up for an LLB, bearing in mind this will take two years to complete and then sit them ?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

from the point of view of being able to pass the FE-1s then the prepatory course themselves would be sufficent, However as regards getting a job as a solicitor then a law degree would certainly increase your chances of being hired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You'll fly through (relatively speaking) the FE-1s, do the work etc... and you should be grand, however getting an apprenticeship is harding than getting into Cheryl Cole! Unless you have the 'connections' built up or you're willing to pay for your apprenticeship, you wont get one because of the way things have gone. Personally I say do the LLB, it's an excellent qualification to have and you would give yourself more options, who knows you might even decide to do the BL in King's Inns!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

El Siglo wrote: »
    Unless you have the 'connections' built up

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this isn't true any more... it's actually more reflective of going to the Inns in reality.

You can apply for training contracts with all the big firms up until the end of this month so I would advise giving it a shot and seeing how you get on - that area of law mightn't be for you but interview experience is something which is very valuable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emmisol

thanks for all your help !!..:).sounds like i should give the llb a go, by the time that is finished hopefully the economy should have picked up and i should be able to get an apprenticeship

Advertisement