Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Central Heating?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this? From all the reading I have done, it does not look too complicated to complete.

I want to use a wood stove with back boiler and run around 5 rads off it.

The house is an old house, rebuilt aprox 10 years ago. The floors are just concrete painted, I intend to baton them, insulate inbetween and install the flow and return pipe work to the stove. Then solid wood floor boards on top, tiles in kitchen.

Any advice would be welcome.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You will need to get a lot of things right. Like pipe size,rad sizes,expansion,safety, etc.
    Before you go underfloor with the pipework you will need to rise into the attic for the expansion as hot water rises. You can then drop down to feed rads or cylinder. Regardless of pipesize used to feed rads a minimum of 1 inch should be used from the stove into the attic. Once you prepare well you should be ok. Think safery first.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Could you not use a sealed system with expansion vessel and pressure release valve? Will the circualting pump have to be turned on manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

kodak wrote: »
    Could you not use a sealed system with expansion vessel and pressure release valve? Will the circualting pump have to be turned on manually?

Cheers for the input guys.

Yes, I was thinking I would need to have a expansion vessel and valve in the system, the tank can go in the attic above where the burner/boiler would be.

As for turning on the pump, I think doing it manually would be the only way, which I would not mind doing.

I have been told I would not need a pump at all, I am pretty sure the regs say a pump is required though...........

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

You cannot make it a sealed system, It must be left open with an expansion tank in the attic.

You can use a pipe stat to turn on the pump automatically at a specified temprature.

Advertisement