Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Desk/Top

Options
  • 09-10-2009 4:32pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

have made a few computer desks/tops -that fit into a corner with battons on the wall. Made one with mdf and another with pine-board.

Have to make another shortly for myself - have any of ye made one - but with what. needs a curved edge at thr front.
    I can use 188mm pine-board again, but was wondering what ye have used.

k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

have made a few computer desks/tops -that fit into a corner with battons on the wall. Made one with mdf and another with pine-board.

Have to make another shortly for myself - have any of ye made one - but with what. needs a curved edge at thr front.
    I can use 188mm pine-board again, but was wondering what ye have used.

k

Havent made one myself, but a few ideas popped to mind. A white melamide chipboard or MDF top, with the curve cut on it and the curve faced off with a strip of hardwood, walnut or oak, double or so the thickness of the top itself to give it a more substancial, chunkier look.

A piece of 18mm or so MDF with the curve cut on it, sprayed black and laquered and again faced off with a piece of hardwood, a bit of oak or something. Perhaps steam bend a heavier piece of oak rather than using a thin strip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I have a very narrow "computer room" (About 10ft by 5ft) so I got a cheap kitchen worktop and fitted it along the longest wall.

Because of all the cables from 4 - 5 computers, kvm, twin monitors, routers, wireless, 3 printers, traditional HiFi system etc etc I fitted the worktop with a 3 inch gap at the back along the wall. The worktop is support at each end on the walls and has a thicknesser underneath the back and a pair of legs in the middle and an extra leg at the back at each quarter way mark.

Anyway my kitchen worktop has a "curved edge at the front"

In my sons room which is slightly larger he has a bed down one wall leaving room for a narrow computer desk at one one, guess what, kitchen work top again, think it was a really good quality off cut (about 4ft long) of a very thick work top I pulled out of a skip.

My wife has a work area with a computer at one end and that again is a kitchen work top (10ft) :D

Advertisement