Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDR2 voltages

Options
  • 09-10-2009 4:35pm

I'm working on a PC for someone, it appears to be one he built himself. It's randomly crashing and the Minidump folder shows 200 dump files - but it has also crashed while attempting to boot from a Vista DVD so I know it's not solely a software problem. I'm trying to analyse the problem but one thing hit me, which is why I'm mentioning this in this particular forum.

His RAM is a 4GB 4-4-4-12 kit of Patriot DDR2-800 at but its label states it's rated for 2.1V. I can see in Everest that the motherboard, an Asus P5QC, is running the RAM at 1.8V with the timings at 5-5-5-18 (everything is set to Auto in the BIOS).

Now I know the standard voltage for DDR2 is 1.8V. So my question is, could the instability be a result of the RAM being undervolted? Or would this just stop the RAM from operating at 4-4-4-12? I'm really only interested in getting the machine stable, I'm not too concerned about the timings. The CPU is an E8400 if anyone needs that info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah this is quite a common problem for ddr2. Go into the bios and manually set the timings and voltages to what is rated on the sticker on the dimms, save and reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm working on a PC for someone, it appears to be one he built himself. It's randomly crashing and the Minidump folder shows 200 dump files - but it has also crashed while attempting to boot from a Vista DVD so I know it's not solely a software problem. I'm trying to analyse the problem but one thing hit me, which is why I'm mentioning this in this particular forum.

His RAM is a 4GB 4-4-4-12 kit of Patriot DDR2-800 at but its label states it's rated for 2.1V. I can see in Everest that the motherboard, an Asus P5QC, is running the RAM at 1.8V with the timings at 5-5-5-18 (everything is set to Auto in the BIOS).

Now I know the standard voltage for DDR2 is 1.8V. So my question is, could the instability be a result of the RAM being undervolted? Or would this just stop the RAM from operating at 4-4-4-12? I'm really only interested in getting the machine stable, I'm not too concerned about the timings. The CPU is an E8400 if anyone needs that info.

Check the BIOS for an option to change the voltage on the ram,change it to 2.1 and see what happens

Advertisement