Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE salaries - licence payers pay:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Why?

I mean what the **** are they going to do if they get a pay cut, move to TV3?

I'm glad I don't pay for a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So Gerry is getting €807.69 per hour for his radio show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

RTE should be made depend on their own revenues. At least then they might put something good on when ratings actually count.

Shocking amount to be paying those low lifes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

They've since had their wages cut. By 10% and now, another wage cut is apparently being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They've since had their wages cut. By 10% and now, another wage cut is apparently being discussed.

That's true, but those wages need a serious haircut
    Marian Finucane only does 4 hrs a week, am I right? amazing..
    to think the argument put forward for these salaries was that the competition might pay them more, what competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cut their wages by 50%, they don't like it, they go somewhere else.

Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

snubbleste wrote: »
    to think the argument put forward for these salaries was that the competition might pay them more, what competition?
    4 hours sounds far too little... to be fair a lot of the RTE people do a lot of preparation for shows they're presenting and stuff.

I just think it's ironic how Ryan Tubridy got Brian Cowen on the late late and questioned him about Government spending when Tubridy is on a huge salary thanks to the same Government spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So your TV licence goes towards paying some presenters ridiculous money. A newsdump on a friday evening
    In 2008 you the licence payer paid:

Pat Kenny €950k
    Gerry Ryan €630k
    Marian Finucane €570k
    Ryan Tubridy €533k
    Joe Duffy €409k
    Eamonn Dunphy €328k
    Miriam O'Callaghan €302k
    Derek Mooney €287k
    George Hamilton €220k
    Sean O'Rourke €219k

http://www.irishelection.com/2009/10/rte-salary-newsdump-pat-kenny-on-e950000-in-2008/

While I do think that they should each cut their pay and pretty much anyone in any sector earning over 200,000 down to 200,000 pa.

I think this is totally tabloid and wasteful discussion point there are more pressing issues surrounding broadcasting that rates of pay will not change. It is oUr obsession with pay that has got us were we are today IMO.

I wonder if these people actually work on the days that they aren't on air. Quite possibly.

Competition = TV3 at 62million year organisation and Communicorp owners of Today FM, Newstalk and several other local radio stations. I wonder how much money Vincent Browne and Ray D'arcy earn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Cut their wages by 50%, they don't like it, they go somewhere else.

Simple.

Way to go buddy, that would soften their cough.

It's downright robbery of the taxpayer for those kind of salaries to be paid,unfortunately as the top ie Govt. is not interested there is little we can do.

Daylight robbery especially Finucane, gone for the whole Summer and most Bank holidays.

Not suggesting they are not good at what they do, but that kind of shekels.. nooo way.

Way to go buddy, that would soften their cough.

To soft to be honest they should be brought down to 200,000 as should anyone on over 200,000.

Anyway they each know now that they should have gone into FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Marian Finucane only does 4 hrs a week, am I right? amazing...

Rusty voiced cow! Well for her. She sounds like a tractor.

She's gettin a tonne of money for doin piss all.

While I agree that it's ridiculous, I'm bettin you lot would do the same if given the chance.

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Rusty voiced cow! Well for her. She sounds like a tractor.

She's gettin a tonne of money for doin piss all.

While I agree that it's ridiculous, I'm bettin you lot would do the same if given the chance.

I am guessing that everyone on boards believes that radio presenters come in when their show starts and leaves the building when the show ends.

Again I think they are paid far too much, but I also believe that their are more pressing things in the Broadcasting sector than how much anyone person gets paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I wonder what they pay the actors on the TV licence comercials? The TV licence guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Jesus those are shocking amounts.

I'm off to send in a few cvs to RTÉ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

F**K em, let the market decide.Drop them by 50%, If they can get more money elsewhere,the BBC for example, let them go. I'll bet not one of them would leave their cushy number even after a 50% cut. If they did leave I wouldn't miss them.

spadder wrote: »
    F**K em, let the market decide.Drop them by 50%, If they can get more money elsewhere,the BBC for example, let them go. I'll bet not one of them would leave their cushy number even after a 50% cut. If they did leave I wouldn't miss them.

If your going cut why not slash down to 200,000? or even 300,000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So your TV licence goes towards paying some presenters ridiculous money. A newsdump on a friday evening

Pat Kenny €950k
    Gerry Ryan €630k
    Marian Finucane €570k
    Ryan Tubridy €533k
    Joe Duffy €409k
    Eamonn Dunphy €328k
    Miriam O'Callaghan €302k
    Derek Mooney €287k
    George Hamilton €220k
    Sean O'Rourke €219k

http://www.irishelection.com/2009/10/rte-salary-newsdump-pat-kenny-on-e950000-in-2008/

Time for replacements:

Pat Kenny €950k Degsy
    Gerry Ryan €630k AlmightyCushion
    Marian Finucane €570k Dudess
    Ryan Tubridy €533k BrummyTom
    Joe Duffy €409k My name is URL/Turd Ferguson - Perhaps a fight to the death to decide, or rockparper/scissors

Eamonn Dunphy €328k Des
    Miriam O'Callaghan €302k ?
    Derek Mooney €287k ?
    George Hamilton €220k ?
    Sean O'Rourke €219k Facekicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Lets not forget 40% of RTE's overall budget comes from the licence fee, so we are paying a large part of those salaries. Pat Kenny was door stopped last week and tried to justify his 950k by pointing to how much revenue "he" made for the station. No Pat - The Late Late Show made the money for RTE and Tubridy has already shown that if someone else was hosting the show even more revenue could have been made. And there are any number of presenters who could do your radio show without affecting the listenership figures.

Eamon Dunphy is forever going on about how disgraceful it is that X politician earns more than Obama - well so the f**k do you. And then there is G. Ryan who respose to a paycut was - "bull****".

The RTE stars are suffering from the same deluded sense of entitlement as John O'Donoghue & Co.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    If your going cut why not slash down to 200,000? or even 300,000?

I wouldn't even pay Ryan and Turbridy lunch money if I had my way. Kenny is good on Radio, not €900,000 good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Pat Kenny €950k
    Gerry Ryan €630k
    Marian Finucane €570k
    Ryan Tubridy €533k
    Joe Duffy €409k
    Eamonn Dunphy €328k
    Miriam O'Callaghan €302k
    Derek Mooney €287k
    George Hamilton €220k
    Sean O'Rourke €219k

John O'Donoghue should apply for a job as an RTE presenter

orourkeda wrote: »
    John O'Donoghue should apply for a job as an RTE presenter

Don't give him ideas look at what has happened to Bertie Ahearn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 samilou

I agree they do get paid too much...but saying someone only works 4 hours a week, or only does a radio show (Gerry Ryan) is stupid. The preparation that goes into these shows is much much more than we ever think. They also do other work, including research, interviews, and sometimes television shows (Ryan Confidential) which is all under one salary. They also have to go to functions etc outside working hours.

I still hate paying the TV licence because i hardly ever watch rte, and because most people pay for SKY or the like aswell its not fair.

samilou wrote: »
    I agree they do get paid too much...but saying someone only works 4 hours a week, or only does a radio show (Gerry Ryan) is stupid. The preparation that goes into these shows is much much more than we ever think. They also do other work, including research, interviews, and sometimes television shows (Ryan Confidential) which is all under one salary. They also have to go to functions etc outside working hours.

I still hate paying the TV licence because i hardly ever watch rte, and because most people pay for SKY or the like aswell its not fair.

Is that you Gerry? Is it not dinner time?

You don't have to pay for Sky or pay TV neither of which actually provide the other aspects of RTÉ that people forget about as they are blinded by the salaries of the 5 top earns of RTÉ. (Which I think we are all in agreement, they are far too high).

But what about the role out of DTT, the expansion of cable networks around the country, the production of quality TV and Radio services, the advertising market, broadband and all of the other things that we just seem to take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

With the recession deepening and a lot more people loosing their jobs, the 160 euro rip off tax is going to hurt even more. These wages are offensive. Why do we put up with it?

With the recession deepening and a lot more people loosing their jobs, the 160 euro rip off tax is going to hurt even more. These wages are offensive. Why do we put up with it?

And you will find that RTÉ will be letting go of people in the coming year so they will want to cut pay packages. RTÉ staff agreed a pay cut of 10% - 15% this year with Management and "personalities" also taking pay cuts. But like in any company it is always the lower paid who get kicked far more than they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elmo wrote: »

But what about the role out of DTT, the expansion of cable networks around the country, the production of quality TV and Radio services, the advertising market, broadband and all of the other things that we just seem to take for granted.

Are you telling me RTE are responsible for all of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

mikom wrote: »

If it wasn't for Sky I couldn't even get a proper RTE signal were I'm living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

So Gerry is getting €807.69 per hour for his radio show
    HAHA wish I was earnin that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't know why people care so much..
    I mean you have to pay this regardless so why annoy yourself with where the money goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Its funny...we want CEOs of banks to have their salaries capped to €300K yet they have responsibility for billions of euro worth of savings, investments etc...yet we are quite happy to pay Tubs, Keeny, et al this crazy amount...go figure..typical Irish

mikom wrote: »

Not all of those things, they sold their cable operations in 1999 to NTL.

But they are certainly a major factor for many of those things but then I am also talking about other companies and the government.

If it wasn't for Sky I couldn't even get a proper RTE signal were I'm living.

See that is far more of an issue than RTÉ Salaries. I hope you can receive RTÉ Radio clearly and Today FM and Newstalk all of which use the RTÉ Network.

You can complain all ye like about Salaries in whatever company but that isn't helping the discussion of all other issues surrounding RTÉ or TV/Radio in Ireland.

RTÉ is a major part of our Telecommunications Infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Jaysus...Eamo only works Saturdays and gets paid that?????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

George Hamilton €220k

Worth every ****ing cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Elmo you sound like Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The thing that bugs me about RTE pay is the "we have to pay them this to prevent poaching". WAT?! These people are all nobodies outside Ireland. The BBC/ITV/C4 are not going to hire them for main programming. TV3 and commercial radio are the only real competition and they pay a fraction of RTEs rates. I'd go so far as to say technical staff at RTE (cameramen, producers, lighting etc) should be paid much more than the "faces" because they actually have transferable skills to the UK or other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Voltex wrote: »
    Jaysus...Eamo only works Saturdays and gets paid that?????
    I suspect most of his wages are for his TV work. Champions League, Ireland matches and International tournaments. For putting everyone off Terry Venebles his deserves a big chunk of pay :D In fact Bill, Eamo & Gilesy should be paid €1m each at the cost of the rest of the RTE flab.

KerranJast wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me about RTE pay is the "we have to pay them this to prevent poaching". WAT?! These people are all nobodies outside Ireland. The BBC/ITV/C4 are not going to hire them for main programming. TV3 and commercial radio are the only real competition and they pay a fraction of RTEs rates. I'd go so far as to say technical staff at RTE (cameramen, producers, lighting etc) should be paid much more than the "faces" because they actually have transferable skills to the UK or other markets.

TV3 could pay if they wanted the inflated rates and the so called independent radio services are both owned by Communicorp which is owned by Denis O'Brien. I am sure Eamon Dunphy wasn't on much less in Today FM or Newstalk and he had his RTÉ sports job.

• Advertisement

Elmo you sound like Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf

I am being the devils advocate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Close RTE down and we can just sponge off the UK channels.
    Or get satellite dishes.

Magnus wrote: »
    Close RTE down and we can just sponge off the UK channels.
    Or get satellite dishes.

Yeah good thinking make 1600 people unemployed and forget about any type of audio/visual industry in this country. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Time for replacements:
    Joe Duffy €409k My name is URL/Turd Ferguson - Perhaps a fight to the death to decide, or rockparper/scissors

Is Rock/Parper/Scissors where one of the contestants farts, forcing the other to vomit/choke/run away & default on the contest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    HAHA wish I was earnin that
    I'd be more than happy to earn that in a week.

I don't really blame the presenters. They're out to earn as much as they can and no matter who you are if some company offers you close to a million to talk ****e you'll jump at it. RTE are completely at fault here their the idiots paying people who couldn't get a job in broadcasting outside this country to save their lifes.

I don't give the bastards a penny, I'd rather stare at a blank wall than pay for this shambles of a national broadcaster.

EDIT: Oh ya and sky is muck, anyone who thinks it's better than terrestrials needs their head examined. I only see it at friends house and the fact you've to pay a subscription fee to watch adds every five minutes is just laughable. I rate sky two steps below RTE TBH.

RTÉ is the most obvious as it gets the licence fee, and of course there is some of that going to Independent Producers for programmes not shown on RTÉ. TG4 receive Exchequer funding. Both run advertising and even that money is the Tax payers money since both companies are owned directly by the people.

But TV3 and commercial TV is public funded, don't be stupid they are commercial they get no public money bar some of the Independent Productions that they produce with some of the licence fee. Well everyone buys products and those products are advertised on commercial television, where do you think that the products get the money to spend on advertising on Television but via their price, so TV3, RTÉ, TG4, Sky One etc all get some public funding because we buy products and their advertising budget is just hidden in there price.

The price paid to the "stars" of RTÉ is too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Quoting this because it's true. It's both shocking and hilarious to think that people genuinely believe presenters only work the hours they're on air. Get a clue.

Even so though, they are all far overpaid. The editor of the Irish Times earns around 400k a year (iirc), a job far tougher and more stressful than anything the likes of Gerry Ryan or Ryan Tubridy have to produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It's the salaries for the likes of Joe Duffy and Marian Finucane that really disgust me.

They're two oul ones (one literally, the other metaphorically).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its abit disgusting to think M Finucane gets that much for 4 hours a week but then again, these people would say, and they are right, that they dont work in a factory and arent paid by the hour. Apparently she has the highest listenership of any radio show on RTE, so she can command that money.
    The fault is obviously with RTE. The neck of the DG of RTE saying on the news the other night, that these presenters big contracts were agreed in different times in order to make sure "the talent wasnt poached!" I mean, what planet is he livin on? TV3 dont pay anyone this kind of money, neither would TodayFM or Newstalk. All these people are unknowns in the UK market, so who would poach the talent?

The worst of all is Pat Kenny though. How that man is worth 1m a year is beyond me.

Agricola wrote: »
    TV3 dont pay anyone this kind of money, neither would TodayFM or Newstalk. All these people are unknowns in the UK market, so who would poach the talent?

Both TodayFM and Newstalk paid for Eamonn Dunphy, George Hook, Ray D'Arcy, Ian Dempsey etc.

Prob in the 200,000 region.

• Advertisement
Advertisement