Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25 - Any suggested names for the new Waterford bridge?

• 09-10-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there is a name chosen for the new Waterford bridge? There isn't a word about it anywhere and it makes me suspicious that we're going to be foisted with some name such as the ones the local authorities are now putting on new housing estates and are almost unpronounceable.

I don't have any bright ideas as to what it should be called except that we have had a bridge called after John Redmond who was a Wexford man and the present bridge on the Quay is called after Edmund Rice who is a Kilkenny man. Maybe if we called it after a Waterford man this time, possibly after Thomas Francis Meagher whose statue on on the Mall near Reginald's Tower.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Val Doonican bridge, perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Gilbert O Sullivan Transverse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fitzeyboy

I think it should be named after Thomas Francis Meagher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anything is better than that awful "Cat Flap" tag that has been bandied around. Truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

mfitzy wrote: »
    Anything is better than that awful "Cat Flap" tag that has been bandied around. Truly awful.

I think it should be simply be called the 'River Suir Bridge'......I don't think its possible for a name to be picked without causing offence to the KK folk or visa versa.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wouldn't have any problem with simply Waterford Bridge (why not?) or anyhting Waterford related. Suir Bridge is my favourite one though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Choosing a name is never easy but because this bridge is likely to be the largest to be built in Ireland for the foreseeable future it needs to be given a meaningful name. It has the longest single bridge span in Ireland at 230 metres, stealing that title from the Boyne River Bridge and is the tallest bridge structure in Ireland also at 112 metres. In fact apart for power station chimneys it is the tallest structure in Ireland.

It certainly needs a better name than the Cat Flap. Just looking around the world at bridge names the consensus on the modern bridge seems to reflect the geographical area such as the Bosphorus Bridge, Istanbul; Millau Bridge, Tarn Valley, France; Fehmarn Belt Bridge, Baltic Sea; Rio-Antirio Bridge, Patra, Greece; Gateshead Millennium Bridge, England etc. Maybe something like the Suir Bridge, Waterford is nicely neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Suir bridge for me. Isnt the Foyle bridge in Derry bigger?

My views are my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Wasn't Robert Boyle a Waterford man? He is enormously important to modern chemistry so why not name it after him. Ireland has enough structures named after politicians, 1916 leaders and various artistes. Name a few more things after our few engineers and scientists I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Bards

murphaph wrote: »
    Wasn't Robert Boyle a Waterford man? He is enormously important to modern chemistry so why not name it after him. Ireland has enough structures named after politicians, 1916 leaders and various artistes. Name a few more things after our few engineers and scientists I say!

Indeed he was and a fitting name for the bridge

also another fitting name would be the "Nicky Fewer Bridge"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

also another fitting name would be the "Nicky Fewer Bridge"

+1 from me,
    No other Waterford citizen has done more in promoteing the city and its infrastructure over the past 20 years. Naming the bridge after Nicky would also have much more significance to most of the population in the South East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd prefer to call it THE FECKING TOLL BRIDGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to call it THE FECKING TOLL BRIDGE

Surprised it took 13 posts to get to this proper name for bridge how about Toll bridge 4

East Link
    West Link
    Boyne Bridge

Toll bridge 4 - are there any other specific tolls on bridges around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The toll isn't specifically for the Boyne Bridge, it's for that whole stretch of motorway including the bit that was built after it up to the point where the motorway 'reverts' to plain N1.

Otherwise the Fermoy Viaduct could be added to the list as that's the most significant water crossing structure on that toll scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Bards

westtip wrote: »
    Surprised it took 13 posts to get to this proper name for bridge how about Toll bridge 4

East Link
    West Link
    Boyne Bridge

Toll bridge 4 - are there any other specific tolls on bridges around the country.

Company that is set up to manage the Toll is called a very original name... Southlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

murphaph wrote: »
    The toll isn't specifically for the Boyne Bridge, it's for that whole stretch of motorway including the bit that was built after it up to the point where the motorway 'reverts' to plain N1.

...most of the M1 up to where it reverts to N1 isn't tolled, its just managed by Celtic Roads under the PPP contract. Its free from the junction just north of the bridge, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

John O’Connor in this week’s Munster Express has a piece about naming the bridge. He says that apparently the NRA don’t want it named. He believes that it should be named. Surely we don’t have to get the permission to name our new bridge.

I just heard also today that Waterford City Council are running free buses to the bridge on Monday next, from 13.30. The official opening is taking place at 1700 and after that we can drive over it apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The Cat Flap - LOL!!! :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

John Keane Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Two Provinces Bridge
    The Munster-Leinster Bridge
    The Suir Valley Bridge (although that makes it sound like a viaduct across a valley... but I like the sound of it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bam's Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

The Martin Cullen Bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the mullane span.

paint it blue and white, except on the very top bit. leave that go rusty

Advertisement