Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC students and Email

Options
  • 09-10-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I presume all you boardsies are very tech-savvy, but what of the gen. pop. of the current leaving cert cohort?
    How many people of your friends would have and use an email address?

Thanks

How many in your year have email addresses? 44 votes

less than 25%
    0% 0 votes
    25-49%
    4% 2 votes
    50-75%
    9% 4 votes
    Nearly everyone (bar a few luddites)
    20% 9 votes
    Absolutely everyone
    65% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

HAVE an email address, I'd say 40%, if not more. USE an email address, I'd hazard a guess around 25%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Everyone has one.
    I don't think more than 10% use the Internet for more than bebo,and now,Facebook,so IDK how much use they get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd say most have one just because of Bebo etc.. Don't think many of them actually check it though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Yeah same in my year. Most have one but I'd say about 20% actually use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Alot of people i know have e-mail, they just dont use it.. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'd say everyone because we needed one for TY. The 10 or so who didn't do TY probably have. I don't know how many use it regularly. I know a few that do because we email each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What on earth is this doing here? I'll move it on to Clearasil and Hormones.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's something suspicious about this thread. I'll leave it open for the time being, but I'm hoping the OP will clarify the point of the poll soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

An File wrote: »
    There's something suspicious about this thread. I'll leave it open for the time being, but I'm hoping the OP will clarify the point of the poll soon.

Clearly a survey someone's conducting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Piste wrote: »
    What on earth is this doing here? I'll move it on to Clearasil and Hormones.
    sorry.
    An File wrote: »
    really? why? oops.

For one class, I make them write down the most concise version of my notes possible, but offered to email the full version afterwards.They're a very motivated, driven class, and I was surprised at the lack of take-up of the offer. I was wondering if, for all the media attention social networking sites get, typical LC students don't actually use email at all.

Point: I was wondering about the validity of emailing notes to students, rather than slaving over a hot photocopier or making them write everything down.

• Advertisement

Point: I was wondering about the validity of emailing notes to students, rather than slaving over a hot photocopier or making them write everything down.

I doubt it would work tbh.

In theory, lovely, but relying on your students to print off their own notes probably wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Oh I wouldn't want them to print it out and waste the trees. They have the most concise version in their own hand writing to learn off. If they have any questions then when revising, they know exactly where they have a fuller explanation.

Oh I wouldn't want them to print it out and waste the trees. They have the most concise version in their own hand writing to learn off. If they have any questions then when revising, they know exactly where they have a fuller explanation.

I and a lot of people I know have trouble learning from reading notes off a computer screen. I dunno, maybe I'm in a total minority.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think it's a nice idea! Everyone has email, you need it to sign up to sites like facebook and boards, but no everyone would use email on a regular basis. I get lots of email every day, mainly from Facebook, but I rarely send emails myself.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I think that's a great idea, and a great innovation. I'd almost try it as a compulsory activity on a trial basis, and see how it works out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

People just use it to reg for facebook and msn and stuff. Other than that I don't they actually check their mail.

Advertisement