Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL Can't Find Address?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I recently ordered an item off Pixmania last Saturday and it was scheduled to be delivered 3-4 days of when I ordered. So that would be Wednesday or Thursday.

I checked their online tracking service on wednesday to see it had arrived in Dublin. Then on Thursday it said "In Transit". So I rang them up to provide them with a mobile phone number in case no one was home, or change address to a work address.

They told me that changing the address would delay it a couple days, so I didn't. And it hadn't left the depot anyways.

Then today I rang them up to see if it was actually in transit. They said it wasn't put on the truck because they didn't know where the address was. It's a perfectly valid postal address and I never received a phone call to even ask where it was. They just decided not to deliver it, even though I had discussed it with a representative the day before. They didnt even ring to ask me where it was.

Amazingly I was able to change the address today with no problems and they said it would be delivered on Monday. But I needed the item this weekend.

Do I have any comeback? I provided them with a correct address. They said 3-4 days delivery. They don't even attempt to deliver because they don't know where it is. I receive no query to where the address is.

Surely this is laziness on their part where they are not even bothered to find out where the address is. I would have thought all vans are fitted with GPS or they have access to the internet, or even a map!

Is it worth complaining?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

this happened me and my friend with dhl.. last year i sent my laptop off to be repaired and after three weeks i rang hp and they said they'd send it back the day after they got it so i should have it back they rang dhl for and dhl just said they couldn't find the address, they didn't even try ring me or anyhting it was just sitting up in dublin in their warehouse..
    my friend ordered something about two months ago it never arrived so she got the tracking number and it arrived in dublin and on the status it said address not found or something like that so it was returned to the sender.. it didn't even leave dublin so they didn't even try find the address which was in limerick they said they tried to ring her which they didn't..

thats only time me and here have had something delivered by dhl so i don't think they're very good at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've had a series of run-ins with DHL over this, and do my best to avoid them now. Again, I don't live anywhere peculiar, it's on all maps and sat-navs, and it's about 10km from a depot. I've had one of their drivers ask me if I'd come meet him somewhere about 3km from where I live. I've also had packages marked as "not at home" despite being there all day.

If I'm ordering from somewhere I don't know, I'll usually contact them first and ask if they use DHL, and I just won't buy anything if they do, and I explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Friend of mine use to work there when it was known as "Damaged Held or Lost " "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

They are very poor at finding addresss. I'm living closer to cork city than their depot but I'm "too rural" so they wont deliver. The have even returned packages to senders without attempting delivery on a number of occasions.

They shoudl be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

This has happened to me several times with DHL and I had to collect the item from their depot. One time a disc(from MS) was returned to MS saying they could not find the delivery address. Another time they said the address was not on the box and when I called out to the depot the address was on the side of the box, clear as day. One time they tried to say they called and there was no one home which was not true, there was no "dhl called" card in my post box either. With google maps, GPS systems and the like there is no excuse for this only a lack of care. After the last occassion I rang(again) and complained. They said what I should do is ring them after I place the order and give them detailed instructions as to where I live. What you need to do is when you get your tracking number keep checking it and as soon as you see it has arrived(or is on the way) to Dublin give them a ring. I would never use DHL if I had another option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

DHL did the same to me a few weeks ago. After the item hadnt arrived in 3 weeks i rang the company i ordered it off - Maplin.

They told me that DHL had marked it as could not find address. Pity that Maplin didnt let me know this before i had to ring them 3 weeks later.

A friend says he always puts his GPS coordinates on his address now.

eg

21 Castle Walk,
    Malahide,
    Co. Dublin.
    Ireland.
    GPS : 0.123E 23.234N (or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

we get these couriors coming into the post office asking for directions and addresses, they even try to leave parcels in the post office to be collected.

crazy set up asking your competitor for help in doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Perfect example of why An Post need to get out of the dark ages, and bring us in line with the rest of the civilised world and give us Post Codes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

calex71 wrote: »
    Perfect example of why An Post need to get out of the dark ages, and bring us in line with the rest of the civilised world and give us Post Codes

Sorry to go off topic but thats why An Post don't want post codes as it would make it easier for other companies to deliver stuff.

Anyway back to DHL, if the drivers can't be bothered to find you they just log it as tried to deliver but no one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ttm wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but thats why An Post don't want post codes as it would make it easier for other companies to deliver stuff.

I know /Shakes fist at an post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

gdael wrote: »

A friend says he always puts his GPS coordinates on his address now.

I've done that and the courier who was delivering (may not have been DHL, can't remember) didn't know what they were or how to use them :eek: At least he rang me, though it still took him a while to find me and I had to stand at my gate and wave because he passed a number of times without spotting my bright blue topped wall ;)

Advertisement