Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does everyone hate kevin myers?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in politics ( so feel free to move it).

While I dont agree with some of what he says he does raise some valid points in his opinion pieces. but everytime i go to the politics forum and his name comes up a good majority of people say they would not piss on him if he was on fire(figuratively speaking).

Why Is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't

He often says the things that people are afraid to say because of the PC brigade

Having said that, he does speak rubbish often
    He is controversial and people talk about him. And that's why he earns the big money from a national newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

People in the Politics forum are very angry and are just jealous of Myers who is probably the most successful angry man in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Earthhorse wrote: »
    ....Myers who is probably the most successful angry man in Ireland.

I'll see you Kevin Myers and raise you Eamonn Dunphy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

he's crap on the radio...sounds like a blabbering fool...good writer though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Maybe its because he's a c@nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've no idea - I quite like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

orourkeda wrote: »
    Maybe its because he's a c@nt

yeah but why is he a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

I guess people dislike him because he seems in his writing to be a bit of a smug git and writes as if his opinions are nearly facts. I can understand why he rubs people up the wrong way but all considered i think he is a positive for journalism and society in Ireland. Nine of his articles might be dross but one brings an issue to the forefront that might not otherwise be tackled.

I read his column and most of the time i wanna give him a slap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

He's the Jeremy Clarkson of Irish politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Arrogant, conceited, over-opinionated... all words once used by Kevin Myers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I heard him on Newstalk this week complaining about pubs not offering sandwiches anymore, just paninis. And lattes not coffee. On the basis of one pub in Grafton St. I didn't know it's him at first and I couldn't understand why on earth George Hook is entertaining this whiny Brit teenager.

It took him ages and at some point mid-whine George good-naturedly quipped that it might be because people serving them are not Irish so it might be easier for them and the guest immediately switched to whining how the immigration in Ireland is out of control and how himself he was the only person in Ireland ready to talk about it on the telly.

This moment the penny dropped and indeed a minute later George thanked Kevin Myers for his contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Coming from a similar background to Kevin Myers (East Midlands of England with Irish parents), he seems to me to have been strongly influenced by the intellectual right in the UK (small wonder that he has written for the Sunday Telegraph down the years) who are naturally unionist and not known for their love of the Irish.

He seems to me to identify myriad ways in which he sees Ireland as being wrong but offers little in the way of a vision for how it could be better. Whether that's down to a limited intellect or a lack of belief in the place I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

He seems to be mad at ireland for not being a lord or something pompous like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Hes entertaining, but I didn't know he was supposed to be taken seriously.........well, all the time.

Some occasional gems, definitely thought provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

He seems to me to identify myriad ways in which he sees Ireland as being wrong but offers little in the way of a vision for how it could be better. Whether that's down to a limited intellect or a lack of belief in the place I don't know.

That, and also there is no direction/coherence in his rants. He just lashes out on whatever is talked about that week and he chooses the most controversial angle even if it doesn't make sense, just to stir. By pure chance he can make an isolated decent point sometimes but it's woefully random and not supported by any coherent thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

herya wrote: »
    That, and also there is no direction/coherence in his rants. He just lashes out on whatever is talked about that week and he chooses the most controversial angle even if it doesn't make sense, just to stir. By pure chance he can make an isolated decent point sometimes but it's woefully random and not supported by any coherent thinking.

Yep, if Ireland had a station like Fox that's where he'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The Indo is a rag.

The Sunday indo is a bigger rag.

I buy neither so Kevin Myers is long forgotten in my world.

Where the hell did he get that accent? Was it inserted up his hole in Trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Mothers of baxtards comment was one

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82069

Maybe because of his views on africa

He also described Africa as “almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world
    http://www.ethiopianreview.com/content/2954

Maybe its because of his views on Ronan o gara because he had his hands in his pocket, you know "the ronan o'gara is a louth"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/kevin-myers-ronan-ogaras-a-real-lout-for-not-giving-the-queen-some-respect-1685515.html

It seems that every time Kevin Myers comments he creates contraversy. He is kinda like the scoolboy down the back of the class that when the teacher explains the world is round he comes out with a comment like "Well know it is actually sphereical"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mothers of baxtards comment was one

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82069

Maybe because of his views on africa

He also described Africa as “almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world
    http://www.ethiopianreview.com/content/2954

Maybe its because of his views on Ronan o gara because he had his hands in his pocket, you know "the ronan o'gara is a louth"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/kevin-myers-ronan-ogaras-a-real-lout-for-not-giving-the-queen-some-respect-1685515.html

It seems that every time Kevin Myers comments he creates contraversy. He is kinda like the scoolboy down the back of the class that when the teacher explains the world is round he comes out with a comment like "Well know it is actually sphereical"

An attention seeker basically.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

he's someone who I'd like to have a drink with, but before said drink was consumed I'd probably want to kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

He's a real-life troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Indo is a rag.

The Sunday indo is a bigger rag.

I buy neither so Kevin Myers is long forgotten in my world.

Where the hell did he get that accent? Was it inserted up his hole in Trinity?

He went to UCD and was somewhat left leaning while there. Myarse is just simply a git.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Why Is this?

People hate journalists. Kevin Myers is a journalist.

People hate journalists who have opinions even more than they hate other journalists. Kevin Myers' job is to express minority opinions.

People hate journalists who have an opinion different to theirs. Kevin Myers' job is to publish minority opinions which, of necessity, are different to most peoples.

While I disagree with most of what he says, he performs an important function by disagreeing with what he perceives as the majority opinion, or at least the majority opinion of the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Name sounds vaguely familiar, no idea who is.

I think he is against immigration, good luck with that.

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the other day on newstalk he went from not being able to get a good pub sandwich(his column that day apparently?!), to lowered standards in general, to lowered standards in the dail...

case closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think he's disliked by people because the truth hurts.

Sure, he's hyperbolic, and absolutely some of his rants seem pointless (I guess it's hard to do a quality rant every day, if it's a slow news week), but how many times has a Myers article been quoted on these same self august Boards with people saying "He may have been a little overstating the issue, but fundamentally he's correct."

There is usually a kernel of truth in what he says, and he sparks discussion. Often with a sense of humour.

As one guy put it, the Irish Jeremy Clarkson. I like both.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sure, he's hyperbolic, and absolutely some of his rants seem pointless (I guess it's hard to do a quality rant every day, if it's a slow news week), but how many times has a Myers article been quoted on these same self august Boards with people saying "He may have been a little overstating the issue, but fundamentally he's correct."

There is usually a kernel of truth in what he says, and he sparks discussion. Often with a sense of humour.

As one guy put it, the Irish Jeremy Clarkson. I like both.

NTM

Nahh Eammonn Dunphry is disliked because the truth hurts. Kevin Myers is disliked because when he tells you something you get the feeling that his comments come with a " Well if you dont like that you can shove it...." line!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

There’s only so much hyperbole and hearsay that can be added to ‘the truth’ before it begins to resemble something very different indeed. I dislike Myers not because of his opinion, but because of the manner in which it is conveyed. But then, I dislike tabloid journalism in general.

I wouldn’t be a huge fan of Clarkson either (although I must admit, he’s a damn sight more humorous than our Kevin), possibly because I can’t tell the difference between an S-class and a C-class, but, like Myers, I don’t believe for one second that Clarkson considers everything he says himself to be true - he just likes to annoy people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in politics ( so feel free to move it).

While I dont agree with some of what he says he does raise some valid points in his opinion pieces. but everytime i go to the politics forum and his name comes up a good majority of people say they would not piss on him if he was on fire(figuratively speaking).

Why Is this?

the media in ireland is overwhelmingly liberal so kevin myers sticks out like a sore thumb , he isnt afraid to bring up sacred cows like immigration or feminism etc , the man is a national treasure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement