Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does everyone hate kevin myers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

You can read into it whatever you may...

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Without context it's easy to project what Myers means onto it.
    is it about immigration? Quite possibly, but I've heard Myers saying that we do need a proper open discussion on this issue, and as I said, an open discussion on this (and any issue) can surely not be a bad thing.

I'd like to see more open discussion on immigration certainly, as it is it's hard to get any decent facts without them being to one extreme or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jesuss

Myres makes good Paper and Radio. Stirs things up.

Bit of a gobsh1te though. He has the pulse of the people and then misses the mark. the people being his people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MikeC101 wrote: »

I'd like to see more open discussion on immigration certainly, as it is it's hard to get any decent facts without them being to one extreme or the other.

Very true - one thing I like about Myers is that he's not afraid to broach any subject & though he may have his own opinion on the subject, he is never afraid to admit that he does not have all the facts, that he may be wrong or that he is open to arguments to the contrary.

This is seen by many as him being controversial, and yes, he's gulity of leaning that way on occasions, but if the means justify the ends, I see no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I suppose he was remarking on the fact that he noticed that the majority of the shoppers were non white!!
    Right, ok.... so what? A snapshot of a London street, he notices a lot of non-white people, he feels compelled to put it in his column. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hes the Eamon Dunphy of politics.

Doesnt ahve an opinion as such, just creates one to generate a response.

On "teh internet" they are called trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

djpbarry wrote: »
    Right, ok.... so what? A snapshot of a London street, he notices a lot of non-white people, he feels compelled to put it in his column. Why?

:confused:

He is a social commentator, he is paid to make those observations.His job is to reflect in the paper what he sees and comment on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes the Eamon Dunphy of politics.

Doesnt ahve an opinion as such, just creates one to generate a response.

On "teh internet" they are called trolls.

Exactly. I enjoy reading commentators whose beliefs are different to mine just to have a glimpse in somebody else's world and point of view but Myers doesn't have anything like this. He has no intellectual world construct of his, he just prods where he thinks it will hurt and he'll get a scream back. He comes across as a terribly spiteful human being so he must find it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Indeed, and you have Fergus Finlay who seems to me anyway to be practically on the staff out in RTE, banging the poverty drum day in day out!!

Stand back and listen for a minute. The bould Fergus doesn't give a wet asswipe where his money comes from, as long as he gets it. He doesn't care if Joe and Annie can't pay their mortgage as long as his sector is catered for.
    He doesn't care if the Flutther is on his uppers, business gone to the wall, as long as his vested interest is supported.

Always look BEHIND the person folks, you could learn a lot, always see where they are coming from;)

fergus ( i dont believe any child should have to settle for 2nd hand books ) finlay is indeed a monotonous bore and the definition of a champagne socilist

Rebelheart wrote: »
    You have got to be ****ting me: Anthony O'Reilly is running left wing newspapers?

The "Irish" media is desperately at the service of capitalism, particularly of capitalism connected with that knight of the British crown, Anthony O Reilly.

The only intelligent, thought-provoking, newspaper in Ireland is The Irish Times, although that has declined since it took on Miriam Lord from the Independent rag. The Sunday Business Post was good last time I read it, about five years ago. The Sunday Tribune was also refreshing when JJ Lee and Joe O Connor were writing for it.

the vast majority of people in ireland wish to live in a capitalist state , a tiny minority have the same views as joe higgins or richard boyd barrett or ciaran allen

Ziggurat wrote: »
    He's a well known politician, what do you expect?

But they're well known to the public (at least I assume they are). People who are more well known are, obviously, going to be reported on much more. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", after all.

I wasn't aware that Vincent Browne constituted the entirety of Irish media.

boyd barrett is well known due to the fact that he has always had easy access to the media , thats how hes well known , robbie keanne is well known because he plays for ireland and a large section of the country have a keen interest in this , the majority do not have a keen interests in the politics of boyd barrett otherwise he would not have taken untill 2009 to get elected to town council level

• Advertisement

irish_bob wrote: »
    fergus ( i dont believe any child should have to settle for 2nd hand books ) finlay is indeed a monotonous bore and the definition of a champagne socilist

Of course you don't Fergus,as long as you get someone else to foot the bill.

herya wrote: »
    Exactly. I enjoy reading commentators whose beliefs are different to mine just to have a glimpse in somebody else's world and point of view but Myers doesn't have anything like this. He has no intellectual world construct of his, he just prods where he thinks it will hurt and he'll get a scream back. He comes across as a terribly spiteful human being so he must find it easy.

i believe ciaran allen comes across as a terribly spitefull human being , ditto jack o connor , doctors differ and patients die etc

i believe ciaran allen comes across as a terribly spitefull human being , ditto jack o connor , doctors differ and patients die etc

You have two right sackfuls of spiteful rhetoric there Bob, and thats the truth.
    Sling in Clare Daly and there is enough "anger" to power a small town;)

You have two right sackfuls of spiteful rhetoric there Bob, and thats the truth.
    Sling in Clare Daly and there is enough "anger" to power a small town;)

forgot about that shrill witch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

He is a social commentator, he is paid to make those observations.His job is to reflect in the paper what he sees and comment on it .
    You're deliberately dodging the question - we both know what the thrust of the article was (and why it spoke to the BNP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Everyone doesn't hate Kevin Myers. Just those who can't stand people who speak their minds.

From what I've read over the years Myers just speaks his mind, just puts it out there what he's seen or heard. His opinion is usually quite blunt and many people don't like that about him.

They'd prefer if he kept his mouth shut.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

RiverWilde wrote: »
    Everyone doesn't hate Kevin Myers. Just those who can't stand people who speak their minds.

From what I've read over the years Myers just speaks his mind, just puts it out there what he's seen or heard. His opinion is usually quite blunt and many people don't like that about him.

They'd prefer if he kept his mouth shut.

Riv

In fairness that doesn't appear to be what he does. He appears to see what the norm is and aim for the polar opposite in order to attract attention to himself.

He doesn't make his real opinions publically known IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ih8northsiders

because hes an idiot. he seems like one of those people who believes ireland would be better off rejoining the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

boyd barrett is well known due to the fact that he has always had easy access to the media , thats how hes well known , robbie keanne is well known because he plays for ireland and a large section of the country have a keen interest in this , the majority do not have a keen interests in the politics of boyd barrett otherwise he would not have taken untill 2009 to get elected to town council level

I still don't get what your problem is. What exactly are you trying to say here?

because hes an idiot. he seems like one of those people who believes ireland would be better off rejoining the UK.

So that makes him an idiot does it?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    You're deliberately dodging the question - we both know what the thrust of the article was (and why it spoke to the BNP).

Not at all sir.

A well written article provokes thought and discussion.

Intelligent people reading such articles can evaluate the subject matter promulgated and make up their own minds .

It may come as a surprise to a lot of people here that an opinion contrary to theirs is not necessarily wrong, or idiotic,it's another opinion.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

People are smarter than we normally give them credit for.

Myers is a wum making a very good income from it.

blinding wrote: »
    People are smarter than we normally give them credit for.

Myers is a wum making a very good income from it.

Eh? OK .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Eh ? I suppose he was remarking on the factthat he noticed that the majority of the shoppers were non white!!

If similar footage of similar scenes from Xmas shopping in Nairobi were shown and the majority of shoppers were Caucasian, it might engender a similar observation.

Considering that theres been non-white faces in Britain for a considerable period of time and a great number of them are in London, its like observing rain is wet.

He's also associating skin colour with nationality. Even the right in America would tear into him for that.
    He is a social commentator, he is paid to make those observations.

...if a wordy version of "O NOESSS!!11!! - DARKIES!!!!" constitutes social commentary.......

I honestly can't see anything wrong with this statement - it is merely an observation without any real intent as far as I can see, unless you read your own opinion into it..

See above.

Nodin wrote: »
    Considering that theres been non-white faces in Britain for a considerable period of time and a great number of them are in London, its like observing rain is wet.

He's also associating skin colour with nationality. Even the right in America would tear into him for that.

...if a wordy version of "O NOESSS!!11!! - DARKIES!!!!" constitutes social commentary.......

See above.

Stop putting your own meaning to his articles

Ziggurat wrote: »
    I still don't get what your problem is. What exactly are you trying to say here?

im pointing out the dispropotionate level of air time , far left minority political views recieve in the irish media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stop putting your own meaning to his articles

Acting the Myers are we? Allow me to quote the piece again....
    “What most struck me while watching BBC television news reports of the Christmas sales in the West End of London, was firstly obvious, and secondly, it was something that no one with the BBC would ever have remarked on. It was this. The shoppers — and there were thousands of them — were overwhelmingly of Asian or African origin. In the vast throngs of faces, there was barely a Caucasian face to be seen; and when there was, of course, that was no guarantee that it was British.”

He's clearly and blatantly associating race/skin colour with nationality. Thus by Kev-think a Gurkha or Sikh, who may have fought for Britain in any number of wars, and hold a British passport is not "British". Thats racism pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

thebman wrote: »
    In fairness that doesn't appear to be what he does. He appears to see what the norm is and aim for the polar opposite in order to attract attention to himself.

He doesn't make his real opinions publically known IMHO.

Pretty much bang on.

He's spent years attempting to portray himself as the last bastion in the defence of the unstoppable tides of PC.

I wouldn't be the most PC of people, but there's a time and a place for it. Myers on first glance comes across as someone offended by the evils of PC, but when you read his stuff regularly, you realise he just looks to piss people off. There's very little he writes for any reason other than shít-stirring.

Mar shampla, his bástard incident. Yes, it's a technical term for the word, but one which has been out of favour for half a century or so. But are Myers seems incapable of copping that in his quest to offend. Lots of words have a change in meaning, when writing on a sensitive issue seriously, you'd hope someone would be smart enough to avoid using them.

That'd be like writing an article on immigration to Ireland and complaining there are too many n*****s here. No decent person would do that, it's the kind of thing Myers has made a habit of.

Also, the fcuk doesn't have the balls to support his home town team or his adopted town team but supported Munster. Cnut. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So that makes him an idiot does it?

Yes, it does. The idea of Ireland rejoining the UK is an idiotic statement, and thus - the person who said it is by virtue of stating it - an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Eh ? I suppose he was remarking on the factthat he noticed that the majority of the shoppers were non white!!

So what!!! Please protect our children from all the non-whites!!! This is worthy of a newspaper column???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement