Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does everyone hate kevin myers?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

FTA69 wrote: »
    Why does everyone hate Kevin Myers? Because he's a pompous blimp who can't engage a topic without blustering, ballooning sh*te-talk. Case closed.

As an aside, while I can tolerate your Harris' and your Myers' (they're madness is actually a bit of craic sometimes) I just can't abide that bloody John Waters. I plonked myself on the couch yesterday and had to be subjected to his bloody warblings on Nationwide with his arsish, sacharinely descriptive bullsh*t. I wish someone would just hit him a few good digs and tell him stop bloody whinging for once in his life. And will he ever cut his hair. The clown.

He needs it for dancing at the cross roaads with the fair maidens. Myers, Waters and David Quinn the trinity of holier than thou, self righteous piety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

Ah, no. Back to logic class for you. He actually is deliberately distinguishing between the two by acknowledging "and when there was, of course, that was no guarantee that it was British." This very much shows that he's aware that there are both British non-caucasians and non-British non-caucasians.

And it's not as if he's not saying that which many people are thinking. How many times on Boards have people complained that the Irish vote in the Eurovision keeps going to Eastern European countries due to the large numbers of foreigners living here? How often have people on Boards complained about the fact that it seems very rare that an Irish native is found behind the bar at the pub or the till of a shop (and the fact that American tourists are very confused)

I don't think it's a citizenship thing as much of a cultural thing. Ireland has a fairly unique, homogenous and identifiable culture and history behind it subject to influence from the fairly culturally similar UK. Unlike other countries such as the US was are identified by their immigrants, Ireland is not, and indeed, large-scale immigration probably dilutes Irish culture. Whether this is a good thing or not is an entirely separate issue, but that's not to say that it's not a change which is going to happen.

To that end, Mr Myers is quite correct.

NTM

Man Utd jerseys? It's not immigrants who have the language dying out (Myers loves that bit of culture) or mowing through the hill of tara. The only people who will dilute Irish culture is the Irish themselves, during the Celtic Pyramid we showed we would sell our granny for a status above the next door neighbour, culture my ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Its because of his d4 accent and his forthright views. A lot of what he says is not totally off the mark but as a rule people dont like d4 know-it-alls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah here now Bayviewclose (North Strand ?)....You are doing the Dublin 4 folks a disservice by ascribing Kevo`s accent to that tiny enclave of linguistic abstraction.

Having sat close to some VERY Grand Dames returning from the "Hoss of the Year Show" last week,I can confirm that the Ancien Regieme Establishment are still very much in control of their destinies.

I learned for example,that the Dressage people positively abhor the Eventer`s and that good riding posture simply MUST be maintained at all times.....

All of this from a very formidable Blue Rinsed lady who may just have been the very same Mr Myers in a frock.......:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Saw him on train once in one of those awful rugby coats those D4 heads like to wear. You know the long canvas trench coats they like to wear with the straw hats.
    Like I said he clearly believes in what he says but sometimes I think he could take a minute or two to think things out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Nodin wrote: »
    As pointed out earlier, what he says and the "truth" are often seen to be at variance.

But this is where FB obviously takes his political cues from - that opinion = 'truth' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

irish_bob wrote: »
    i can think of worse people we could behave like tbh

I am sure you could you treasonous swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It would be nice if the tone of this thread had risen above the level of pub rantings - but it hasn't, and it has no real place in Politics.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement