Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting preview from Tubridy

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

"We chat to a former Taoiseach"

No mention by name, and no mention of the book.

Was he afraid people would switch off, I wonder ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So, the prince of darkness is on tonight; and Ozzy Osbourne too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "We chat to a former Taoiseach"

No mention by name, and no mention of the book.

Was he afraid people would switch off, I wonder ?

Is it Charles Haughey? That'd be some scoop. The Late Late.. beyond the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Is Turgidy betraying his politicial affiliations FF, FF and more FF. What a waste of paper in Ahern's book and he calling it non fiction:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tubridy: I want to your comic. sorry - book Bertie! Is it in the fiction or non-fiction section Bertie? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ah bertie... where did it all go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Tubridy... "Well, Bertie, how come half the pages are blank?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

As I mentioned elsewhere, there are two reputations on the line here tonight, and one must fall. Either Tubridy asks the questions the nation is screaming to ask, or we get another Bertie whitewash.

Either Tubridy makes a name and a reputation for himself tonight, or he loses his credibility in his new prime time slot for good.

Does he rate Bertie's reputation more than his own?

Tubridy... "Well, Bertie, how come half the pages are blank?"
    Bertie: "I wanted to include pictures of the cheques that I got too - that was my horse winnings of course!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tubridy's an "entertainment" presenter, though.....

It's curious how neither Ahern nor Cowen was on TLLS while Kenny was presenting it.

Still, Tubridy could possibly do better then the Snots earlier; given his affiliations, I doubt it, but I could be pleasantly surprised....

Great start anyway! A VERY MUTED applause at the start as he came out!!!!

• Advertisement

"Brian Cowen doing a good job"

FFS:mad:

"Since Lehman's went down"

You'd swear they were an Irish bank!!!!

How about "Since Anglo-Irish went down", you asshole ?

Tubridy mentioned that he was warned about the economy, but forgot the infamous "commit suicide" quote!

I've just lost all respect for Tubridy.......

Jesus, he seems really rattled! He's like a guy not sure when the shoe is going to come flying across the studio...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

How will RTE pay Ahern? Brown envelope with Sterling and dollars or a bookies coupon, it certainly wont be a cheque.

This is balls. Tubridy spends a minute on the JOD story and moves onto the book. Why do I watch this cráp?

Tubs : "Did he ask you to do anything wrong (context: Haughey)"
    Ahern : "No"
    Tubs : "Well, you shouldn't have written the cheques"

Slight recovery from Tubs.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    This is balls. Tubridy spends a minute on the JOD story and moves onto the book. Why do I watch this cráp?

'Cos your still looking for where the value is for your TV licence!
    (Welcome to the club!)

Mahon Tribunal

Ahern : "If I'd known I'd end up at the Tribunal I'd have done things differently"

Paraphrase : If I'd known I'd get caught, I'd have done it differently; otherwise, no.

And having hit that high, Tubridy changes the subject to Ahern's high point : the GFA.

Absolutely dire! Recovery undermined. Switching off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

V.disappointed by Tubridy's performance there now tonight.
    He put in a far better performance against Cowen.

If only it had been Dunphy asking the questions

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

If only it had been Dunphy asking the questions

Ahern wouldn't have done the show...

• Advertisement

Tubridy was mentioned this evening on the Six One News among the highest paid 'stars' of RTE.

He had a chance this evening to mark himself out as something special, and move someway towards being worthy of being among the highest paid. He didn't take it. Perhaps he knows what side his bread is buttered, and wants to be a 'company man.'

Instead, he has marked himself out as a lightweight. He has his money, his job is safe. But he is a lightweight, and I will no longer take him seriously at all. BBC have Ross. We have dross.

Actually, I just thought of something...

If you or I broke our leg, would we have to still go to work on crutches, or could we "lie at home, leg up, writing a book" ?

Because that's how the little bollox said the book came about.

Nice to know that we were paying him while he was writing ? Does that mean that we can get some of the profits when it becomes the best-seller (fiction category) ?

Just weak, weak, weak drivel.
    At this rate the Late Late should be canceled. Rubbish.
    What ever happened to the days when serious questions was asked and it wasn't like an extention of the old boys FF club!
    Sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

It's curious how neither Ahern nor Cowen was on TLLS while Kenny was presenting it.

Cowen was on with Kenny at least once (at the beginning of the 2008 season) . . Bertie was on twice that I can remember, probably lots more . .

I'm sure all the anti-FFers and anti-Bertie crew would have loved to see Ryan attack Bertie but while that might be your views it clearly is not the mood of the nation and Tubridy would have done himself no favours attacking Aherne. . .

All in all I thought it was a very balanced interview . . He asked him about the property bubble and why he didn't see it coming . . he asked him about the Galway tent . . he asked him about the dig-outs, the cheques he wrote for Haughey . . He might not have gone for the jugular but he didn't shy away from anything.

Interesting to see the reaction Bertie got from the audience, lots of laughs, lots of cheers . . generally lots of support !

Actually, I just thought of something...

If you or I broke our leg, would we have to still go to work on crutches, or could we "lie at home, leg up, writing a book" ?

Because that's how the little bollox said the book came about.

Nice to know that we were paying him while he was writing ? Does that mean that we can get some of the profits when it becomes the best-seller (fiction category) ?

For good sake, the man broke his leg !!

One thing you cannot accuse Bertie Aherne of is not working hard. . Do you remember when the GFA was signed, Bertie Aherne was up all night negotiating with the unionists. The next morning, he drove back to Dublin to bury his mother . . Later that same evening he was back in Belfast sitting around the negotiation table. The man has an incredible work ethic, regardless of how you feel about him or his policies !

it clearly is not the mood of the nation

Are you actually typing from planet Bertie ?
    He asked him about the property bubble and why he didn't see it coming . . he asked him about the Galway tent . . he asked him about the dig-outs, the cheques he wrote for Haughey

Hang on a sec. Bertie bull****ted and joked his way through every answer.

Economics - mention Lehman; joke about economists changing their predictions every day.....DEFINITELY warranted a mention of the suicide remark

Haughey - cue joke about how Bertie didn't like the shirts - HA, ****ing, HA....hilarious - NOT!

Dig-outs - [paraphrased answer] If I could have gotten away with it and not ended up at a Tribunal, I would.
    He might not have gone for the jugular but he didn't shy away from anything.

Shy away : suicide comment
    Shy away : signing cheques - "It's no laughing matter, Taoiseach"
    Cop out : when Bertie said that O'D had no choice, Tubridy started to ask the Taoiseach's ACTUAL opinion as to whether he thought he SHOULD HAVE gone, and then chickened out
    Interesting to see the reaction Bertie got from the audience, lots of laughs, lots of cheers . . generally lots of support !

Planet Bertie again..... :rolleyes:

For good sake, the man broke his leg !!

No argument here. So your point is ?

I'll ask the question that I already asked AGAIN, just in case the connection to Planet Bertie is dodgy.
    If you or I broke our leg, would we have to still go to work on crutches ?

The answer is a definitive YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I guess Tubridy was affected by the criticism he got in the wake of the Cowen interview. He really should have nailed Ahern on that moaner comment when Ahern started saying he got no warnings on the economy. i love the way he uses humour and the self- deprecating routine to deflect criticism and when the going really gets tough he rabbits on awkwardly and pleads innocence and naivety. Haughey was right about him anyway.

Are you actually typing from planet Bertie ?

Hang on a sec. Bertie bull****ted and joked his way through every answer.

Economics - mention Lehman; joke about economists changing their predictions every day.....DEFINITELY warranted a mention of the suicide remark

Haughey - cue joke about how Bertie didn't like the shirts - HA, ****ing, HA....hilarious - NOT!

Dig-outs - [paraphrased answer] If I could have gotten away with it and not ended up at a Tribunal, I would.

Shy away : suicide comment
    Shy away : signing cheques - "It's no laughing matter, Taoiseach"
    Cop out : when Bertie said that O'D had no choice, Tubridy started to ask the Taoiseach's ACTUAL opinion as to whether he thought he SHOULD HAVE gone, and then chickened out

Planet Bertie again..... :rolleyes:

I'm sure if you were doing the interview you would have attacked him and blamed him for everything that is happening to the country. . The reality is that while this is a very populist view right now, it wasn't a couple of years ago at the last GE and it wasn't for the previous 12 years when FF was in government and we were all enjoying the tax breaks and the SSIA's.

By the way, Tubridy didn't shy away from the JO'D question . . he clearly pushed it as far as he could and even summarised how he got the impression that Bertie felt he shouldn't have resigned. .
    No argument here. So your point is ?

I'll ask the question that I already asked AGAIN, just in case the connection to Planet Bertie is dodgy.

Bertie Aherne was returned to Dail Eireann as Leader of FF and had previously spent 12 years working hard for the country and for his party. When he resigned, his role in DE was no more that having a vote when needed. Regardless of the broken leg, I believe he was entitled to take it easy (and I believe the majority of the constituents who voted for him would agree with me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how come someone with such a bad memory can write a book.

Advertisement