Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting preview from Tubridy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

I believe he was entitled to take it easy (and I believe the majority of the constituents who voted for him would agree with me)

With that attitude no wonder this country is going down the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I believe he was entitled to take it easy (and I believe the majority of the constituents who voted for him would agree with me)

So you've no objection to paying him €833 a day to do SFA, at a time where he would be capable of being in work ?

And no objection to letting him earn other money by writing a book while you're doing so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So you've no objection to paying him €833 a day to do SFA, at a time where he would be capable of being in work ?

And no objection to letting him earn other money by writing a book while you're doing so ?

I believe there are more important matters in politics to get worked up about than how many hours Bertie spends in Dail Eireann and i have no objection to him writing a book right now. I will enjoy reading it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I believe there are more important matters in politics to get worked up about than how many hours Bertie spends in Dail Eireann and i have no objection to him writing a book right now.

And how, exactly, do you propose that those matters get "dealt with" if the people that we're paying to deal with them don't bother turning up for work ? :rolleyes:

Mind you, I suppose phoning work and saying "I've broken my leg and so I'm going to doss" is a little better than phoning work and saying "I can't come in because a tribunal is investigating me for dodgy payments; I've made up 4 different stories and they don't believe me. Oh, and then I'm going to have to go to the tax office to get sort out my tax clearance" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Since when has the Late Late Show been a hardcore current affairs show ? I am not expecting Turbidy to turn the show into something its not meant to be, moreover I would guess Turbidy pushed the questions as far as he could last night within the parameters that had been set.

You would near think that audience was hand picked though, the reaction of the audience was anything but hostile..... curious....

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And how, exactly, do you propose that those matters get "dealt with" if the people that we're paying to deal with them don't bother turning up for work ? :rolleyes:

Mind you, I suppose phoning work and saying "I've broken my leg and so I'm going to doss" is a little better than phoning work and saying "I can't come in because a tribunal is investigating me for dodgy payments; I've made up 4 different stories and they don't believe me. Oh, and then I'm going to have to go to the tax office to get sort out my tax clearance" :rolleyes:

If you really believe that matters in Dail Eireann will not get 'dealt with' or will even move more slowly because of the absence of Bertie Aherne then I think you do not understand how Dail Eireann works. I'm pretty confident that if you compared Berties parliamentary presence to that of other ex-Taoisigh you would see a similar pattern regardless of the broken leg.

The fact is that the only people who might suffer from his absence are those who voted for him in Dublin central. I'm guessing your not one of those people. I'm pretty sure that when he answers to those people (as all politicians do) at the next election they will continue to give him the same vote of confidence that they have for the last 25-odd years.

bauderline wrote: »
    Since when has the Late Late Show been a hardcore current affairs show ? I am not expecting Turbidy to turn the show into something its not meant to be, moreover I would guess Turbidy pushed the questions as far as he could last night within the parameters that had been set.

You would near think that audience was hand picked though, the reaction of the audience was anything but hostile..... curious....

I agree . . I think the show hit exactly the tone that you would expect and I think Tubridy did an excellent job. I think there are a lot of people (especially on here) who overestimate the negativity of public feeling towards Bertie . .

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I agree . . I think the show hit exactly the tone that you would expect and I think Tubridy did an excellent job. I think there are a lot of people (especially on here) who overestimate the negativity of public feeling towards Bertie . .

Well, the more that articles like the one below are published, the more public feeling is going to turn against Ahern.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6851009.ece

Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern has defended Fianna Fail’s schmoozing of property developers at the party’s fundraising tent at the Galway Races and says he feels sorry for builders who have “lost their shirts” in the recession.

Ahern has described his developer friend Sean Dunne’s plans for a diamond-shaped skyscraper in Ballsbridge as “imaginative”. Ahern said: “He’s lost a lot of money on it. Sean’s just one of the guys. I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys.

“You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them. You know, they employed 270,000 people in the Irish economy.”

Well, the more that articles like the one below are published, the more public feeling is going to turn against Ahern.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6851009.ece

Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern has defended Fianna Fail’s schmoozing of property developers at the party’s fundraising tent at the Galway Races and says he feels sorry for builders who have “lost their shirts” in the recession.

Ahern has described his developer friend Sean Dunne’s plans for a diamond-shaped skyscraper in Ballsbridge as “imaginative”. Ahern said: “He’s lost a lot of money on it. Sean’s just one of the guys. I know a lot of them, like [Jimmy] Flynn, [Noel] O’Flaherty and the Baileys.

“You meet the Baileys at Croke Park every time you go there. You can’t avoid getting a slap on the back going in from them. Most of these guys lost their shirt. I feel sorry for them. You know, they employed 270,000 people in the Irish economy.”

I don't think such stories make a jot of difference to how Bertie is regarded by the public and I think that was evident during his performance on the late late show last night. Bertie is one of the most charismatic politicians this country has ever seen and I don't think his popularity will ever wane. For instance, during the 2007 General Election, he was up to his neck in the Mahon tribunal. He had huge media pressure on him, the stories of dig-outs etc were all in the papers at the time yet still he topped the poll in what is a working class constituency with almost 2 quota's. I liken his popularity to that of Bill Clinton. He has a way of bringing the public on side and that was on show during the Late Late last night.

Ultimately, we will probably get to judge this for ourselves in a couple of years time at the next presidential election . . . Paddy Powers have him as second favourite at 4/1

The fact is that the only people who might suffer from his absence are those who voted for him in Dublin central. I'm guessing your not one of those people. I'm pretty sure that when he answers to those people (as all politicians do) at the next election they will continue to give him the same vote of confidence that they have for the last 25-odd years.

Why doesn't he just quit, cause a by-election and give the people of Dublin Central a chance to vote for someone who will look after their needs rather than spend time doing the media rounds and doing a deservice to the people of Ireland by giving his sporting opinions for a rag of a newspaper.

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Why doesn't he just quit, cause a by-election and give the people of Dublin Central a chance to vote for someone who will look after their needs rather than spend time doing the media rounds and doing a deservice to the people of Ireland by giving his sporting opinions for a rag of a newspaper.

If you believe that the people of Dublin Central would rather have a by election to replace a man with Bertie's stature and influence with someone else, then you're codding yourself. If Bertie were to run again in the next election he would top the poll again, regardless of how much time he spends in DE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I think there are a lot of people (especially on here) who overestimate the negativity of public feeling towards Bertie . .

It's that lack of negativity among too much of the public that has this country deep in the mire in the first place.

If people were less interested in getting tax breaks and handouts and payrises and personal aggrandisement, and more interested in the good of the country as a whole, we would have a lovely country.

Alas, there will always be a big vote for snake oil, whoever offers it.

If you believe that the people of Dublin Central would rather have a by election to replace a man with Bertie's stature and influence with someone else, then you're codding yourself. If Bertie were to run again in the next election he would top the poll again, regardless of how much time he spends in DE.

He's elected to do a job for the people not himself and more fool the people who'd vote for a "man of his stature".

paddyland wrote: »
    It's that lack of negativity among too much of the public that has this country deep in the mire in the first place.

If people were less interested in getting tax breaks and handouts and payrises and personal aggrandisement, and more interested in the good of the country as a whole, we would have a lovely country.

Alas, there will always be a big vote for snake oil, whoever offers it.

I agree wholeheartedly and have said so in other threads here . . We are where we are because of the general greed of the nation throughout the boom years. . We all wanted (and voted for) a bigger piece of the pie and now we all have to pay for it.

He's elected to do a job for the people not himself and more fool the people who'd vote for a "man of his stature".

Irish politics is parochial and the Irish electorate will always vote for the more well known, politically powerful people who will make things happen for their area regardless of how much time they spend legislating in Dail Eireann . . .

Witness the reaction in Kerry to JO'D this week. IF he runs in the next GE he will almost certainly be returned to the Dail. Look at Michael Lowry for goodness sake !

My point is this . . those people who say (on here) that Bertie Aherne should resign or be vilified because he does not spend enough time sitting in the back benches debating legislation clearly have no understanding of Irish politics.

By the way . . I think its a little rich to call the electorate fools just because they dont agree with you !

By the way . . I think its a little rich to call the electorate fools just because they dont agree with you !

They be foolish to return a man who didn't represent them properly in DE, better off with someone who will fight their corner rather than a Mé Féiner.

Still that's all hypotectical as Berite might be in the Áras by the time the next election rolls around.

They be foolish to return a man who didn't represent them properly in DE, better off with someone who will fight their corner rather than a Mé Féiner.

Still that's all hypotectical as Berite might be in the Áras by the time the next election rolls around.

Is it not up to them (and not you) to decide whether or not he represents them properly and to reflect that decision in the ballot box ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

paddyland wrote: »
    Tubridy was mentioned this evening on the Six One News among the highest paid 'stars' of RTE.

He had a chance this evening to mark himself out as something special, and move someway towards being worthy of being among the highest paid. He didn't take it. Perhaps he knows what side his bread is buttered, and wants to be a 'company man.'

Instead, he has marked himself out as a lightweight. He has his money, his job is safe. But he is a lightweight, and I will no longer take him seriously at all. BBC have Ross. We have dross.

True enough, and Ahern got away with murder. eg he said there was only 30 to 40 thousand empty houses in the country. Why did Tubs let him get away with that when the real figure is much higher is it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

He was supposed to give Cowan a grilling and dosent then that idiot goes on last night and gets away with ruining the country?? He should **** off to England and support his favourite ''soccer'' team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Tubbers should have asked him the following questions....

"why if you had nothing to hide did you stand down due to mahon tribunal? surely if you were doing such a great job you should have stayed on instead of handing the reins to a man incapable of doing basic maths when minister for finance"

"Why did you allow the unions to dictate benchmarking"

"Why did you allow the countries finances to become dependant on an unsustainable property bubble and tell people who questioned this to commit suicide"

"why did you allow public spending to reach levels that were completely unsustainable"

Piss weak interview by tubbers pandering to this disgrace of a man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement