Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting a marble fireplace.

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:33pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭

We are in our home coming up on 6 years now, and the one feature that consistently puts us off is the ugly horrible white / grey marble fire surround.

in the times we are in we cannot afford a new surround, so i am wondering if it is possible to paint it. i would like to achieve a very simple black matt finish, with maybe a stove insert in the future.

is painting a marble fireplace possible??
    is there issues regarding how the paint adheres? or will teh heating cooling effect of the fire cause paint to flake and fall off??

i would really appreciate any help anyone can give?? real life stories and pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

My sister tried to do the exact same thing a number of years ago, it ended in disaster. The paint actually melted off when she lit the fire. Granted I think she used just normal black paint but it didn't end well.

Could you use a special metal paint? I know marble isn't metal but it would probably work better than just normal paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Regardless of what your told I would not paint it. It will not work and if it works it will not last.

However that being said.... If your looking to know how to make pain stick you can actually buy a product called "Makes paint stick"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

brother did this with black stove paint - worked a treat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,662 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ancee wrote: »
    brother did this with black stove paint - worked a treat

thats for all the responses...

ancee.. any idea of the product name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

asked my brother about paint and he thinks it was International Heat Resistant but not 100% sure, got it in a DIY store he thinks. Sorry can't be more specific it was a couple of years ago.

says he did a couple of coats with a radiator roller

• Advertisement
Advertisement