Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RoF and gearbox speed

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

This isn't so much of a practical question at the moment since I don't have the money to go fiddling with bits, it's a bit of a thought exercise though.

Say I wanted to make my gearbox operate faster.
    However, I also didn't want to increase my RoF, in fact the opposite, I'd like to reduce it so it's more in line with the real steel (for the sake of argument we'll take a G36 which has a RS RoF of 750rpm).

I'm guessing the answer is probably electronic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

What battery are you using? A 7.2V will take the rate of fire down, some clone motors will do the same thing. Other than that I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you can do a number of things to lower the rof of your aeg (there is an interesting school of thought on support weapons with lower rof but that is for another thread)

do you know what your rof is know and where you would like to be? what aeg are you using and is it stock or has it had upgrades?

if your using a 9.6 drop down to a 8.4v, if your using high speed gears drop down to normal gears, if your using a high speed motor drop it down to a motor with a lower rpm output, if all or a combination of these do not drop it to where you would like you could always go to high torque gears but i do not think you would need to go that route, and single on of the above or at the worst a couple should give you the desired result

What battery are you using? A 7.2V will take the rate of fire down, some clone motors will do the same thing. Other than that I'm not too sure.

if that is a nimh 7.4 on a normal gearbox it is going to struggle to turn over and liable to cause lock ups in most cases from experiance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Puding wrote: »
    if that is a nimh 7.4 on a normal gearbox it is going to struggle to turn over and liable to cause lock ups in most cases from experiance

Thanks for that Pud, woulda thought that it would have enough juice to power it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Viper Antidote

The lads are correct in saying that there are both battery and gear solutions to your problem/query. One prob you'll encounter is not only will you ROF change but also your FPS. One solution to reduce your FPS but maintain your ROF is to drill a small hole in your piston cyclinder or change your spring out to a M90 or lower! Hope that helps!? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Well changing the battery won't change the FPS of the gun. And I doubt changing the motor or gears will effect it either.

And if you put a lower powered spring in your gearbox it will increase the RoF.

The lads are correct in saying that there are both battery and gear solutions to your problem/query. One prob you'll encounter is not only will you ROF change but also your FPS. One solution to reduce your FPS but maintain your ROF is to drill a small hole in your piston cyclinder or change your spring out to a M90 or lower! Hope that helps!?

ok too magor things to say with this one,

as Dread-Lock said any of the changed mentioned should not increase the fps, i think you may be thinking about using a higher rated spring to lower the rof, this would of course work but it would also put more strain on your internal parts and to be honest there are a lot easier methods out there

on a separate note, drilling a hole in your cylinder to lower the fps is in my opinion a stupid idea, that simple, i've spent the couple of months every weekend fixing aegs downgraded this way due to there wildly fluctuating fps outputs, kids don't do it !

(also it would not maintain your rof, you would see the rog increase slightly as the air pressure inside the cylinder would not be maintained {e.g the hole just created an air leak} the piston would encounter less resistance and move faster, and you would gain an increase in rof)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

another thing would to be install solid bushing as opposed o bearings but id its a clone its more than likely going to have nylon, brass or steel bushings already.

also a higher resistance wire would help alright.

if shes a stock clone gun running on an 8.4 shes probably the lowest ROF youre goin to get unless you wire in resistors.

never ever drill a hole in any part of the gearbox as a method of downgrade, its totally inconsistant and indicative of a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Well if I ever did it I'd probably do it on a Star G36 (I need to pick up a donor one at some point anyway to replace my broken pistol grip). This gets about 900 rpm in stock config with an 8.4.

The primary idea behind this exercise isn't to reduce the RoF but rather to increase the speed of the gearbox (in other words, how fast the gearbox works) without increasing RoF.

A slight decrease in RoF to 750 or so would be nice is it were also possible. FPS should remain consistent (and I wouldn't expect it to change since it's entirely related to the air parts and their various seals which wouldn't be changed by messing with the mech elements).

The primary idea behind this exercise isn't to reduce the RoF but rather to increase the speed of the gearbox (in other words, how fast the gearbox works) without increasing RoF

unfortunately not really possible the two are mutually conflicting due to how the gearbox works, you can increase trigger response in semi but this would have the knock on effect of increasing rof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

:( have a CA sportline with a hole drilled into the cylinder
    its seems like a bit of an unprofessional job drilling the cylinder
    i guess i should get a new cylinder and spring then yeah?
    while im at it should i get anything else done? ( metal bushings ofc:pac:)

the least you should do is replace the cylinder and downgrade the spring, this will increase constancy and take some strain off the gearbox, additional upgrades would be the bushing a better piston stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

why dont you do what A&K have done with the MK43, wire in a variable resistor and you can play around with your rof,,,,,,,,

why dont you do what A&K have done with the MK43, wire in a variable resistor and you can play around with your rof,,,,,,,,

did not think about that one, indeed another way lower the rof if you want to, but again you would lose the fast trigger response stonewolf was also looking for

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that work by slowing the mechbox down thus reducing the cyclic rate?

I figured it wasn't something that could be solved mechanically, it'd probably require some kind of circuitry with a quartz timer to interrupt the circuit to the motor or some such.

your correct stonewolf

from what you have been saying is your looking ideally for something that would insert a small delay between shots, unfortunately to do this would be rather complicated, you would need to use something like the pts system where you can sense the position of the gears so the motor would cut out at the same right time, I'm shore it would be technically possible but the cost and complexity involved would be prohibitive

Be an interesting project though

it would be, but considering the only aim is create fast trigger response/gearbox turn over, with a low rof the answer would be rather complicated, effort v reward is rather low with this one, but as you said an interesting project :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

maybe some kind of capactor?

Advertisement