Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diceman's Corner, Temple Bar

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The Dice Man was a famous 1980s/90s Dublin street entertainer.

More info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceman_(Dublin_entertainer

---

I've only just found out that Dublin Corporation has renamed a corner in Meeting House Square, Temple Bar in his memory (about time too).

Does anyone know when this happened? I can't seem to find any info about an unveiling or anything else.

Also, does anyone know why they chose Meeting House Square. As far as I was aware, his old stomping ground was almost exclusively Grafton Street.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

1968 wrote: »
    The Dice Man was a famous 1980s/90s Dublin street entertainer.

More info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceman_(Dublin_entertainer)

---

I've only just found out that Dublin Corporation has renamed a corner in Meeting House Square, Temple Bar in his memory (about time too).

Does anyone know when this happened? I can't seem to find any info about an unveiling or anything else.

Also, does anyone know why they chose Meeting House Square. As far as I was aware, his old stomping ground was almost exclusively Grafton Street.

When they completed Temp Bar there were a few new streets and areas created that then needed to be named so the Diceman got one (not sure when though, guessing about 4 years ago, but it could have been aot longer. But I recall a conversation a the pride march around then and it was being talked about.), there's also Rory Gallagher corner too. So it wasn't his act's association with the area but just a new place in the city that required naming. Good choices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

According to Chapters of Dublin Website :
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin, cllr. Brendan Lynch PC, dedicated 'The Diceman's Corner', Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, on February 20 1997, to mark the memory of street performer Thom McGinty.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Thanks for the informative replies.

Advertisement