Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Entropion Surgery?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi guys,

During the summer we noticed that our pup had runny eyes particularly the right one. So we brought him to the vet who dignosed it as entropion. The vet said it was the mildest case he ever saw but was best to correct it in the early stages. He had his operation when he was 16weeks on both eyes. Vet said the operation was successful and that he would not expect to see our pup back again with any problems.

He's now 6months old and earlier this week I noticed that his right eye was very runny again and seemed to be causing him some discomfort. Took him straight back to the vets but was seen by another vet as ours is on holidays. He diganosed it as entropion and recommended another surgery. But if this surgery proves to be unsuccessful, the next thing would be to remove the eye. We got some eye drops for him to prevent infection and his eye seems to have improved slightly.

Now I don't know what to do. Has anyone else been/is in this situation? We are waiting for our vet to come next week to see what he thinks. Any thoughts?
    All help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Hi,

What breed is he?
    Our lad had temporary tacks in when he was a puppy because he was always going to (hopefully) grow into his skin.
    He never needed it done permanently though.

Sounds strange the vet saying he'd remove the eye (based on what I know of entropian, admittedly breed specific)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

What breed is the dog? Our youngest - a jack russell cross - had very runny and bloodshot eyes when we first got her (she's a rescue dog) which the vet diagnosed as chronic conjunctivitis. He recommended bathing the eyes with cold tea which cured the problem.

Don't believe everything vets say. The eldest cut her leg slightly - although there was a lot of blood - as a pup. Being inexperienced owners at the time, we took her to the vet who said she needed stitches and charged us a fortune for the procedure. He took the bandage off two days later. Next day we were back at the vet's as she had chewed all the stitches out. We saw a different vet (the original was on holiday) who said not to worry - if it had been his dog he would have not have bothered stitching it at all and would have left the wound to heal itself. Said dog is now 10 and a half and we make a point of asking for anyone but the original vet when we need to take any of the dogs to the clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

He's an irish water spaniel. I was shocked at the vet suggesting to removed the eye if it doesn't work. It seems very extreme. Although he appears to have improved since using the eye drops. Not as much discharge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

He's an irish water spaniel. I was shocked at the vet suggesting to removed the eye if it doesn't work. It seems very extreme. Although he appears to have improved since using the eye drops. Not as much discharge.

Try bathing his eyes with cotton wool dipped in cold tea 3 or 4 times a day. Wipe the pad across the eyes, then squeeze a fresh, tea-soaked pad into the inner corner of the eye.

Hope this works. Wouldn't agree with removing the eye without a second and third opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with removing the eye without a second and third opinion.

OP you would do well to take this advice.

It seems crazy to have corrective surgery on a 16 week old pup with a very mild case of entropion, very often pups who get diagnosed with this at a very young age show no signs of it at 12 months.

• Advertisement

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Try bathing his eyes with cotton wool dipped in cold tea 3 or 4 times a day. Wipe the pad across the eyes, then squeeze a fresh, tea-soaked pad into the inner corner of the eye.

I was just wiping his eyes with some warm damp cotton wool. I will definitely try that ghost ie. Will do anything to help him which would hopefully prevent surgery.

Were going to get a few different opinions and see what the best option is.

Anyone have any experience with Irish Water Spaniels?

Forgot to ask you ghost_ie did you use regular tea or herbal tea?
    One website i found recommended using chamomile tea as an eye wash.

Advertisement