Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

• 10-10-2009 12:22am

Too soon? Just noticed on the website that the date has been put up for the 13th June 2010 (that's a Sunday). Registration isn't open 'til December though :)

http://www.wicklow200.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

What's the 100km route like? Tough?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nova_era wrote: »
    What's the 100km route like? Tough?
    Routes will not be confirmed until later, but (at least compared to the 200) the 100 is relatively easy.

The website still has links to both 2009 courses on mapmyride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

World Cup 2010

Three matches that day: 13:30; 16:00; 20:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Talk about planning ahead.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

kincsem wrote: »
    World Cup 2010

6.30am start and no prob to make the first game at 13.30;)

Don't think blorg is a big soccer fan!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Plenty of time to organise the support vehicles then.

After reading the Broomwagon thread, I fancy getting hot pizzas sent out by motorcycle courier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Given that most sportifs have fixed routes, I think this is one of the few in Ireland that has changed routes.
    On that basis I would love to see following.
    Out via Cruagh then down crone rd and up Long Hill before taking Lugalla to Sally Gap. Down to Laragh for cake from the hippy cafe before SM and SE from Laragh. Home via dunlavin and ballymore eustace.

Also, argree on doing this supported. My goal for these events in future is to avoid food stops (takes too long and get too cold for sh1te sambos).
    Have a car with a light snack and water.
    My cycling goal next year is to do the Raid in late June/early July - this would be good tapering!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sy wrote: »
    6.30am start and no prob to make the first game at 13.30;)

Don't think blorg is a big soccer fan!?
    SA is an hour ahead, so first game is at 12.30 our time. It's at Ellis Park, Johannesburg, which means it will probably be one of the better matches -I suspect Ireland will not be involved:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

im staying in luggala this week ,going to bring the bike and take a spin up the gap to laragh back into roundwood back to luggala .any one know how far that is.

@JW - 41km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LC7

whats the general length of time that would be considered good for the WW 200? Must be up on 6 or 7 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

My Goal this year is to get Reg tag number 2 again ... and come not to be late at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Did I say I was never doing this one again? Well, I meant it.

my marker is down now ,i going to do the 200k .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

World Cup 2010

OK so...looks like I'll have to slaughter my record from last year.

On the subject of the WW200, I'm tempted to allow the organisers grace from last year with the poor organisation of food stops. Am I being too generous - as in, have the organisers received this much negative feedback each year and have consistently done nothing, or should I give them another chance?

This said, would it be worth considering having a "boards 200" that day that happens to cover the same route, we contribute the same amount and get champagne and caviar at each (4) food stop? Of course, we'd need some road crew to have a food stop 1km past Donard etc...

OK so...looks like I'll have to slaughter my record from last year.

On the subject of the WW200, I'm tempted to allow the organisers grace from last year with the poor organisation of food stops. Am I being too generous - as in, have the organisers received this much negative feedback each year and have consistently done nothing, or should I give them another chance?

This said, would it be worth considering having a "boards 200" that day that happens to cover the same route, we contribute the same amount and get champagne and caviar at each (4) food stop? Of course, we'd need some road crew to have a food stop 1km past Donard etc...

we could always have a boards food stops ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

jwshooter wrote: »
    we could always have a boards food stops ,

For the last 2 years myself and 3 friends have ridden this with our own support. We have a car up from the west so we pay for the food and accomadtion of the 5th man and he drives the car. He stops on Luggala(just incase) just past Donard with a picnic:D,on top of SM. He then heads back to base as Rathdrum is not to bad and we have to get atleast a sambo for the money:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Having only really gotten into cycling the past few months and in the hopes of purchasing my first road bike soon with the aim of taking part in the likes of the WW200 next year I'm wondering just how badly supported is this sportive? It seems like a great tough route with loads of participants but what exactly do you get for your entry fee? How much is it also as the website only says it has to be prepaid as part of your registration but doesn't say the amount. From reading reviews and reports on here no one seems to be overly positive about the organisation of the event but still most seem to participate.
    Going out now for a 85km spin that the rain seems to have abated.

Having only really gotten into cycling the past few months and in the hopes of purchasing my first road bike soon with the aim of taking part in the likes of the WW200 next year I'm wondering just how badly supported is this sportive? It seems like a great tough route with loads of participants but what exactly do you get for your entry fee? How much is it also as the website only says it has to be prepaid as part of your registration but doesn't say the amount. From reading reviews and reports on here no one seems to be overly positive about the organisation of the event but still most seem to participate.
    Going out now for a 85km spin that the rain seems to have abated.

I was in a similar position to you last year and then did my first WW200.
    Firstly, it is a tough route, which is what makes it attractive for many folk.
    However it does cost a lot versus other sportives.
    I found the support in terms of water/food on route poor versus the other few sportives that I have done.
    I did see that on the WW200 website that the organisers did note this and apologise for it.
    Despite what i thought was poor organistaion, I would hope to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

the only fault i had with the W200 was that first food stop and the queue for sign on, marshalling at junctions was good, and there was a few scattered water stops. And if its your first one those things will be mostly minor with the suffering you'll be doing :)

• Advertisement

the only fault i had with the W200 was that first food stop and the queue for sign on,
    I set off early, and so was ahead of the crowds at the sign-on and 2 food stops. I guess it is always going to be difficult when there are so many to cater for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Thats somewhat true, but SK was bigger and did manage it a lot better....but that said wouldn't fault it too much

LC7 wrote: »
    whats the general length of time that would be considered good for the WW 200? Must be up on 6 or 7 hours?
    6 hours would be about pro standard!

sy wrote: »
    6 hours would be about pro standard!

on a good day , what was the best time recorded for it .

Not sure but I would guess if a racing group got together you could get close to 6 hours. My best time was 6.45 but that was 20 years ago.;) This year it was 7.55....(with the help and company of a few kind boardsies who pulled me over the last few drags) afraid those hills get a little longer and steeper as you age!

@Sy. What was the route like back then. Reason I ask is that I saw an old route map somewhere (maybe from 8 or 10 yrs ago) and it looked a much tougher route with more climbing than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seriously? A thread on the W200 in October????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Well you'd want to start queuing now if you wanna get a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't know if I would do it again. Great route and great company, but I might just pocket my 40 euro and cycle the route, stopping off in shops as I go.

I have been on cycles with far greater numbers, they were better organized and better marshalled. The emergency service response was excellent, can't fault those guys. Some dodgy motorists were out that day though, could they not put some of the money into letting the local community know that for one day of the year, wicklow might see a few more cyclists than usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Sy. What was the route like back then. Reason I ask is that I saw an old route map somewhere (maybe from 8 or 10 yrs ago) and it looked a much tougher route with more climbing than last year.

First time I did it was 2003 and it was a tougher route, I reckon, mostly because it left some of the toughest hills to the end. The last couple of years the route home after Rathdrum has been relatively straightforward. Back then it included Devil's Glen and Trooperstown Hill on the way to Rathdrum. Then Slieve Maan and Balinabarney Gap on the way to Donard for the second stop. Then home by the Blessington Lakes, Ballysmutton Bridge, Sally Gap and Luggala.
    The year before that, it started in Tallaght and went out by the Embankment, over Sally Gap from Kilbride. Can't quite remember where it went after that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I've done it in 6h50 cycling time, I know some guys sho have done 6h30

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

bbosco wrote: »
    First time I did it was 2003 and it was a tougher route, I reckon, mostly because it left some of the toughest hills to the end. The last couple of years the route home after Rathdrum has been relatively straightforward. Back then it included Devil's Glen and Trooperstown Hill on the way to Rathdrum. Then Slieve Maan and Balinabarney Gap on the way to Donard for the second stop. Then home by the Blessington Lakes, Ballysmutton Bridge, Sally Gap and Luggala.
    The year before that, it started in Tallaght and went out by the Embankment, over Sally Gap from Kilbride. Can't quite remember where it went after that though.

If I remember correctly in 2003 it was something like Sally Gap from Kilbride, then Luggala, Wicklow Gap, Slieve Maan, Rathdrum, Sally Gap again via Glenmcnass, Feather beds, Kilakee, back to Tallaght.

Muller_1 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly in 2003 it was something like Sally Gap from Kilbride, then Luggala, Wicklow Gap, Slieve Maan, Rathdrum, Sally Gap again via Glenmcnass, Feather beds, Kilakee, back to Tallaght.

Sorry, you're right. My first was in 2004 so I was out by a year on both counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

rottenhat wrote: »
    Did I say I was never doing this one again? Well, I meant it.

+1 Ireland's worst sportive by a long way .

Might go for a spin in Wicklow that day but wouldnt grease the organisers palms for such shabby service.
    I call on all here to do the same in the hope the organisers get the message and up their game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Get 10 us pay someone €100 to wait at certain points along the way with our food, everyone's happy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

World Cup 2010

I remember the W200 in 2002, when, you've guessed it, it conflicted with the Ireland-Spain game.

And it lashed rain all day....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

barrabus wrote: »
    +1 Ireland's worst sportive by a long way .

Might go for a spin in Wicklow that day but wouldnt grease the organisers palms for such shabby service.
    I call on all here to do the same in the hope the organisers get the message and up their game.

really? im looking to do my first sportifs next year and would have thought the WW200 to be the best, well, most known anyway

what would you reccommend then?

if its as bad as people say, i think ill steer clear

really? im looking to do my first sportifs next year and would have thought the WW200 to be the best, well, most known anyway

It's not that bad. If you do it as your first sportive you'll likely think it's grand. It's just that when you do other events which cost less, provide more in terms of food and amenities for your money and are better organised, you find yourself wondering why the W200 costs so much.

The pros are that it is one of the toughest one-day sportives and coupled with the fact that by now it's very well-known, the sense of achievement when completing it is fantastic. You get to cycle through some stunning scenery in the company of thousands of cyclists. Leaving aside the pain and suffering, or perhaps because of the pain and suffering (depending on how you see things :D) it's a great day out.

The cons are that it has grown in popularity so fast that the organisers are struggling to catch up, leading to long queues at check in and the foodstops for some fairly unsatisfactory food. Also, because there are so many people, there is often less of a sense of cameraderie on the road than you get on some smaller sportives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd like to do a sportif next year, too. I was thinking of doing the WW100 for starters, but now I'm not so sure.

Interesting thread. I'll keep my eye on it.

Moar infos and opinions, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

No one should be thinking of the Wicklow 100 with more than 7 months to prepare. HTFU. 200. Do it.

There are many better sportives than the WW200, but I intend to do them as well as, not instead of, the Wicklow. I'd feel no guilt about going guerilla though and having some boardsie only food stops laid on.

Edit: hey, 2000 posts, woo!

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    @ ROK ON I did the W200 on 3 occassions, first time around 89/90, can't exactly remember which year, and again in 2008/2009. To be honest I had no idea of the route at the time as was not familiar with the climbs. I was racing that season and met up with few guys and rode literally into the unknown. There were about 200/300 participants that day. I know we crossed Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and Slieve Maan but don't remember the rest except that short kick near the end which is kindly? referred to as "The Poggio" ! as all hell broke loose. Skip on to 2008/2009 and unfortunately the head still thought the body was 20 years younger:( however must say I enjoyed the company and still love the climbs. Have to say organisation was dreadful compared to the SK 2008 which is the only other sportive I have done. THe W200 should be the flagship for all other sportives in Ireland but unfortunately it is rapidly loosing its popularity and the competition has really highlighted how it is not able to cope with the number of entrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think sy got it spot on. When you show up at the first feed stop in good time and there are still people dismounting when you are ready to leave, it's not a good sign when they say they have run out of snack bars.

Maybe they should try and control the numbers better and close registration earlier to give them more time to setup the logistics. It was a bit like a night in coppers; get them in and pile 'em high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Is the real problem with W200 not that its been run by the Vet Assoc.
    These are hardened Knights of the Road who would ride 200km on a 500ml Water bottle and a Banana. This is what they always did
    You can see them thinking the rest of us should HTFU and do it on a few mars bars and a sambo.
    The SK and all the other Newbie Sportives are only pandering to the spoilt Celtic Kittens who want their hands held after riding a few Charity rides where they were fed cake.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If this years successes are followed upon there should be a series of 5 An Post sponsored sportives, each offering a choice of 3 circuits - typically a 50-60km, 100km and 150-160km. They've been the best organised cycles I've attended in a long time and would be the gold standard of how to run a sportive in Ireland (by and large).

Outside of that many/most clubs host at least one sportive in the year - watch the Cycling Ireland calendar when it comes out in the run up to January, and Irishcycling.com for full listings.

You might also consider getting a standard cycling licence from Cycling Ireland also - the first one is e10 and e35 subsequent years and they usually afford a discount (e10) at C.I. sanctioned events so you can save a tidy sum if you take part in a lot of events.

Esroh wrote: »
    Is the real problem with W200 not that its been run by the Vet Assoc.
    These are hardened Knights of the Road who would ride 200km on a 500ml Water bottle and a Banana. This is what they always did.......;)
    Actually a few jam sambos. Bananas are too euro;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

By all means do the WW200. Apart from the food stops it's a good and challenging day on the bike.

But when you take part in others during the year you'll understand what people mean. Just make sure you enter the Tour of Kilkenny. I did some excellent sportifs this year but the TOK was the clear winner.(Dying cow doesn't count due to numbers involved;)) Excellent organisation and as for the food laid on at the stops...OMG,more fresh sandwiches and cakes than you could shake a stick at. I think any of us that did it came away saying 'now that's how it should be done.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

It'll take an awful lot to top the orange squase and warm pasta in the SK tour though, what a lifesaver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Tour de Burren FTW!

and Conor Pass Challenge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

niceonetom wrote: »
    No one should be thinking of the Wicklow 100 with more than 7 months to prepare. HTFU. 200. Do it.

There are many better sportives than the WW200, but I intend to do them as well as, not instead of, the Wicklow. I'd feel no guilt about going guerilla though and having some boardsie only food stops laid on.

Edit: hey, 2000 posts, woo!

With 7 months to prepare no one should even be thinking of doing the W200.

If you started to prepare I'd expected everyone to have done a similar ride to the W200 4-5 times By March.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Tour de Burren FTW!

and Conor Pass Challenge!

Agree, I loved the Tour de Burren and the main food stop was properly laid out so everyone could easily access the food. I also thought the Tour de Burren had the best cake. ROK was fantastic as the entry fee is decided by yourself (I'll probably give more next year as I didn't realise how much food I was going to eat) and I bet they made a fortune. I know it's only a small event but the Tour of the Knockmealdowns had an unbelievable spread laid out for us afterwards also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
Advertisement