Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do you enable elevation correction? It can make quite a big difference. MMR says around 1700m for the Wicklow 200. I would be surprised if it was anywhere near 2800m as the Mick Byrne was just over 3000m.

in general the MB isn't an amazing amount of elevation, its the relentless nature of it that destroyed us... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't forget though the solar flare activity that is messing up GPS signals at the moment :)

This is from mapmyride. Might be worth checking BRT and other sites too. I think 2800m is a bit optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Don't forget though the solar flare activity that is messing up GPS signals at the moment :)

This is from mapmyride. Might be worth checking BRT and other sites too. I think 2800m is a bit optimistic.
    I would have said it would be the other way around. The route planning sites are fairly innacurate as they rely on GPS elevation, in fact it says it here about OSM:
    For the US, there's elevation data available with 30m horizontal accuracy, the rest of the world only gets 90m (or 3 arcseconds).
    If it's only measuring elevation data every 90m or so, it'll miss out a lot of the smaller ascents/descents.

The 705 on the other hand relies on Barometric pressure, which is far more accurate.

Blowfish wrote: »
    about OSM:The 705 on the other hand relies on Barometric pressure, which is far more accurate.

I remember the MB200, there was about 700 metres difference between my elevation (Edge 500) and Nietzschean/Caroline (Edge 705). I went home at Kilternan, so about 6-8km from the end and that doesn't include their route into town. If there was about 700m of climbing there I would be very surprised.

I know that MMR is not the most accurate, they don't record that many elevation points, but BRT always seems pretty close to any of my Garmin readings and it says ~ 2200m for the W200. Which is still a good amount of elevation gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

BRT always seems to be close to my 705 too, I've heard before MMR is miles out.

The 100k didn't really have any climbs apart from the Rocky Valley near the start and out of Avoca, the rest was rolling. I was asking because I thought the 200 would be much stiffer in terms of elevation...There was only about 70k on the same roads so I would expect the 200 to be much more of a challenge in comparision?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

There was an older couple doing the 100k on an orange tandem, I got chatting to them and incredibly the lady on the back was 90% blind. Lovely jovial couple having fun on the day. Saw them again on the way home from the car driving out the n11 out toward bray, cycling in the torrential rain, LEGENDS as far as I'm concerned. And the old man on the hybrid doing the 100 in shoes and cords with a shirt and jumper on, taking it handy and strolling up the tougher climbs. Whatever about the speed demons on their 2kg carbon bikes finishing in 6 hours, these three were my heroes of the day :)

I passed them at one point and i didn't realise that the lady was vision-impaired! Wow, now they truly are legends, well done to them and it puts all the aches and pains into perspective. That's a brilliant story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

And the old man on the hybrid doing the 100 in shoes and cords with a shirt and jumper on, taking it handy and strolling up the tougher climbs. Whatever about the speed demons on their 2kg carbon bikes finishing in 6 hours, these three were my heroes of the day :)

I believe you mean my boss - I'll pass along the compliment, though perhaps it'd be best if I leave out the "old man" part. :p

We should probably have another thread on GPS and barometric accuracy.

It all depends on sampling and sensitivity. Are the Edge 500/705 that accurate? Reading around it seems that a 30 meter change in elevation produce about a 0.05 PSI change in atmospheric pressure.

No measurement is absolute anyway, I suppose all you can do is measure on relative terms. Is the Wicklow 200 tough, yes, compared to a lot of sportives most definitely. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the numbers (aside from the times which have been phenomenal!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Well done & Congulations to everyone who did the 100 or 200. It is a huge sense of achivement once you've completed something like this and it's not for the faint hearted.

Many thanks to all involved in making the possible. Without you it would not have happened.

One thing that bothered me throughout the day the amount of "non-registered" cyclists that joined in or were doing the route. The vast majority of them didn't wear a helmet. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. I mean what does it take for people to start wearing a helmet.

I remember the MB200, there was about 700 metres difference between my elevation (Edge 500) and Nietzschean/Caroline (Edge 705). I went home at Kilternan, so about 6-8km from the end and that doesn't include their route into town. If there was about 700m of climbing there I would be very surprised.

I know that MMR is not the most accurate, they don't record that many elevation points, but BRT always seems pretty close to any of my Garmin readings and it says ~ 2200m for the W200. Which is still a good amount of elevation gain.

with elevation correction the MB was 3323 for me , 3490 disabling it..not a whole lot in the difference really

• Advertisement

shapez wrote: »
    One thing that bothered me throughout the day the amount of "non-registered" cyclists that joined in or were doing the route. The vast majority of them didn't wear a helmet. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. I mean what does it take for people to start wearing a helmet.

Well, public roads. A helmet isn't going to make them more likely to crash or cause you to crash, they will just come off worse if they do fall. Which isn't really fair to the organizers, the marshals or the paramedics supporting the event as the negative publicity that would follow would be completely undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

what does it take for people to start wearing a helmet.

Don't know why it bothers you. There are lots of arguments for and against - none of which I want to debate here - but there is no law about wearing a helmet on public roads.

I'd be more concerned about the possible dangers of letting randomers mix it with the race...

with elevation correction the MB was 3323 for me , 3490 disabling it..not a whole lot in the difference really

Not sure where the 100-200 metres between Dalkey and town comes from then, I seem to remember you said 3700m in total.

I really think calorie information and elevation data need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are a good indicator, not an absolute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

How were you sure they hadn't registered....I didn't get a chance to pin my number on to me but I did pay the registration fee. (I did wear a helmet though)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

I mean what does it take for people to start wearing a helmet.

There's got to be Godwin's Lawesque title for the moment when the helmet debate enters any discussion even vaguely related to bicycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I did the 100k yesterday on my Trek town bike. The longest I have ever cycled previously was 20k (with a break in between). I did the 100k in 6hrs 20min. I had hoped to do a few long cycles beforehand but didn't get around to it so I did it with no training at all. It was tough but I really enjoyed it. Next year I am definitely going to train a few months before and do it with a group or partner. I didn't mind doing it on my own though. It was a bit intimidating at first as most people were on pro-bikes and had pro-gear, but I met a lot of nice cyclists and it was a great day out. Legs are in bits now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Moojuice wrote: »
    It was a bit intimidating at first as most people were on pro-bikes and had pro-gear....!

I saw loads of people on hybrids who were lashing along, mostly passing me :)

Not sure where the 100-200 metres between Dalkey and town comes from then, I seem to remember you said 3700m in total.

I really think calorie information and elevation data need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are a good indicator, not an absolute.

i do remember quoting that at some point... the routes 2/from town appear to total 130m or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Does anyone have a GPS trace of the 200km route? Mine is reporting that it was 193k long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Does anyone have a GPS trace of the 200km route? Mine is reporting that it was 193k long.

My Catseye said 195km.

It was about 8km short.

It's well reported that consumer GPS devices with barometric altimeters are not super accurate. On a day with fluctuating weather like yesterday I would hazard a guess that these readings would vary more than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Congrats to everyone who finished. Hopefully not too many of you got caught with the tacks at glencree and SG. Spoke to a few people early on with double punctures because of it.

6:52 on the clock for me. Big thanks has to go to boardsie number 22 and the guy he was cycling with. Last 20odd km would have been hell otherwise.

Anyone know who the guy in the yellow jersey with the team car following him was? Made the stupid stupid mistake on trying to hold his wheel on Slieve Mann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just saw Pics going up on the site now

http://www.wicklow200.ie/gallery/2010wicklow200-100?page=1

IMG_4054.jpg

I waved to this lad near the start - hello again! :cool:

Ryaner wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone who finished. Hopefully not too many of you got caught with the tacks at glencree and SG. Spoke to a few people early on with double punctures because of it.

6:52 on the clock for me. Big thanks has to go to boardsie number 22 and the guy he was cycling with. Last 20odd km would have been hell otherwise.

Anyone know who the guy in the yellow jersey with the team car following him was? Made the stupid stupid mistake on trying to hold his wheel on Slieve Mann.

WTF, someone put loads of tacks at glencree/sally gap on purpose? Heard of that before in the UK, first here though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I mean what does it take for people to start wearing a helmet.

I only had a helmet for a little over half of it. Ironically the ambulance took it.

I figured it made no difference if I crashed, as I would get it back when I crashed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

daragh_ wrote: »

Ah deadly, some heartwarming smiles in those pics! Sounds like it was good fun. Had planned on doing it this year but silly me decided to leave the country and live somewhere else.

Congrats to all and hopefully catch ya next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

daragh_ wrote: »
    Nice one - didn't take any snaps myself but I see I'm there on page 2 - great to have something to remember it by!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Dónal wrote: »
    WTF, someone put loads of tacks at glencree/sally gap on purpose? Heard of that before in the UK, first here though.

I was shocked at it too. Descent from SG is the last place you want a puncture. Throw in the bad vis yesterday and it made for a really bad time. Some very angry people at the food stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 teamireland

Ryaner wrote: »

I was one of those double punctures! got one 500 metres from the start would you believe. I could only laugh at the comments i got such as "at least you re gettting it out of the way early"

I was repairing the punture and a lady in one of the support vans gave me a track pump.

Got another puncture about 8km down the road in the same tyre. thanks to the guy who told me to patch inside of tyre as well. Got me around the 100km in 4hr 16mins

Great day:)

Got a second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

More pics are up, we definitely need more women cyclists on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bequick

LastGasp wrote: »
    . Passed a boardsie stopped with someone else just coming out of Avoca and gave a shout - not sure who it was.
    Thanks Lastgasp, that was me dragging a tired workmate who had never done more than 65k before. The hill at Avoca nearly killed him. You were going at some pace !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone else come across the old guy cycling from Rathdrum to Laragh on the wrong side of the road? (cycling towards us).
    Although everyone was shouting at him, he had a very determined look on his face. He definitly had "issues" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Anyone else come across the old guy cycling from Rathdrum to Laragh on the wrong side of the road? (cycling towards us).
    Although everyone was shouting at him, he had a very determined look on his face. He definitly had "issues" :rolleyes:

Hah, yes. Played chicken with us as we were coming down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

07Lapierre wrote: »

I was in a group of about 10 at the time, when he cycled across the road towards us, shouting at us "get off the ******* road". Apart from injuring us, he could have got himself killed by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Saw a tandem before the start in the car park, and another just after the start.QUOTE]

The blue one was "piloted" by Jim Tuohy who's responsible for getting me back cycling last year when he arranged a charity Cork to Dublin in the Sisk Group where I work. His "other half" is blind too. I passed them on the way up the Sugar Loaf where they had punctured, but I'm sure they made it home in one piece, and probably in a good time !

Forgot to mention I bumped into Montac heading into the Donard stop, but missed him after our respective visits to the loo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Dura Ace wrote: »
    I was in a group of about 10 at the time, when he cycled across the road towards us, shouting at us "get off the ******* road". Apart from injuring us, he could have got himself killed by a car.

+1, I was nestled nicely into a club group as both he and a truck careered towards us from the opposite direction. Woke everybody up alright. Almost felt wrong shouting out dog's abuse at an older gent, and one on a bike too. But he was clearly a nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The times are up now:
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/2010/2010times.shtml

Now to figure out how to do useful stuff with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

After a bit of mashing in excel (I found the best way to be to copy the entire web page (ctrl+a) and paste it into excel and then remove the graphics etc.) it looks like I did about the 11th fastest real time in the 100 - excluding the people who managed it in 1 and a half hours! I'm delighted - and thanks again to Planet X for hauling me around the course.

The times are up now:
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/2010/2010times.shtml

Now to figure out how to do useful stuff with them...

Barring the sub-minute times, and the freakish #70 (1h 30'), here are top 40 for the 200km:

1 532 04:13:30
    2 274 04:24:54
    3 2236 04:48:34
    4 323 05:15:35
    5 2310 05:21:15
    6 261 05:59:25
    7 2340 06:11:28
    8 2331 06:18:25
    9 2360 06:38:23
    10 1137 06:40:20
    11 1343 06:49:10
    12 598 07:02:51
    13 494 07:03:57
    14 1103 07:04:46
    15 1217 07:04:52
    16 1970 07:06:05
    17 1086 07:23:56
    18 1084 07:25:13
    19 2325 07:26:39
    20 1083 07:26:54
    21 1018 07:27:15
    22 1085 07:27:37
    23 1087 07:27:48
    24 922 07:33:19
    25 84 07:37:50
    26 1501 07:39:49
    27 334 07:40:46
    28 53 07:42:25
    29 1236 07:43:16
    30 2338 07:45:14
    31 1462 07:47:33
    32 113 07:47:44
    33 1815 07:48:14
    34 697 07:48:44
    35 408 07:48:53
    36 698 07:49:28
    37 1649 07:50:36
    38 1197 07:50:37
    39 1457 07:50:47
    40 26 07:51:52

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Great day out - big thanks to the organisers and other helpers (Civil Defence etc.) for a great job - pity couldn't organise the weather! Just read about thumb tacks - that's mad, I mean just why would you do that, it's not like we're a blood sport or something....? Well done to the Boardsies and everyone out there, persevering in the rain. Training diary entry and photos below.
    The Wicklow 200.
    Met up with Andreas and drove over to the venue in Greystones. Got the bikes ready, registered, last minute stuff and left at 07:25 off through to N11 and up Long Hill at Kilmacanogue through to turn for Enniskerry on way to Glencree. All good so far but on way up to Sally Gap, the picturesque sunlit mist became drizzle. I had been tempted to stop for a photo but glad I didn't stop until I got to the top at Kippure, where it was on with the rain gear as it was now pretty horrible. On the descent over the Liffey and towards Kilbride, the wind was a bit gusty so took it easy on the wet roads. It cleared off a bit so stripped rain gear off about Hollywood and really enjoyed the section leading toward Donard on the back road. Met Susan from Dublin Wheelers and Caroline from Boards on the way. It felt like we were flying past people though we weren't really going too fast. Decided we'd queue for the tea and sambos as it could be a long day. This lost us some time, about 40 mins or so in total. Saw Seán Kelly while we were in the queue. Back on the bikes and Andreas now fuelled up drove us like a train over the mostly flat sections that followed on the way to Slieve Maan. I was pleased with my climbing yesterday and went up this well enough, got some water and took a couple of snaps. The weather at this stage was pretty nice again and the roads dry. The desent was fantastic, though nearly ran into a car on one of the bends. Went up Glenmalure (Shay Elliott) the same as SM and felt great again on the descent heading into Laragh. On the way to Rathdrum,we joined up with a chap from Lucan CC and we shared the pace work which was a bit of fun. Another (thankfully quick) cuppa here. The turn towards Avoca brought in a couple of drags and a brief bit of bad weather. We met up again with the Lucan chap and another from Bray on our way home and fairly steamed along on the route home. It started to lash again, I reckoned we were too close to home to stop, but Andreas stopped so we finished separately but only a couple of minutes apart (I was there at 15:57). The weather was really foul at this stage, so it was great to get the cuppa, and in from the weather etc. Fair play to the Civil Defence who did a great job. Was glad we'd brought the car in the end as the weather just got worse and worse. Felt pretty sorry for those still out on the roads. A great day the only problem was the mixed weather. Really enjoyed the climbs, the descents and the cool pace-lines we got going. Was glad to get home and relax in the end. Saw a good few fellow Swords folks and I think 3 Boardsies (Caroline, Gimp101 and another whose name I didn't get).
    Stats: Distance: 194.84k, Cycle Time: 07:18:51, Elapsed: 07:25 - 15:57 (~8:30), Max: 68.9k/h, Ave: 26.6k/h, Climb: 2700m. Official Start/ end time - #1498 7:13:35 AM 4:01:05 PM (scanned before queuing for loo at start and after finding place to put bike at end! Roughly 190th out of 1112 doing the 200 using the official start/end times and removing blanks etc.).
    Went out for spin the next day to make sure legs able to take consecutive days. Did 134k in 4:47, brings total for spins/ races to over 6300k this year....

Em, I'm no Alberto Contador but what is a likely fastest time? Apart from the 'freakish' 1:30, did someone really do it in a little over 4 hours (50k/h)? I am in awe......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

buffalo wrote: »
    Barring the sub-minute times, and the freakish #70 (1h 30'), here are top 40 for the 200km:

1 532 04:13:30
    2 274 04:24:54
    3 2236 04:48:34
    4 323 05:15:35
    5 2310 05:21:15
    6 261 05:59:25
    7 2340 06:11:28
    8 2331 06:18:25
    9 2360 06:38:23
    10 1137 06:40:20
    11 1343 06:49:10
    12 598 07:02:51
    13 494 07:03:57
    14 1103 07:04:46
    15 1217 07:04:52
    16 1970 07:06:05
    17 1086 07:23:56
    18 1084 07:25:13
    19 2325 07:26:39
    20 1083 07:26:54
    21 1018 07:27:15
    22 1085 07:27:37
    23 1087 07:27:48
    24 922 07:33:19
    25 84 07:37:50
    26 1501 07:39:49
    27 334 07:40:46
    28 53 07:42:25
    29 1236 07:43:16
    30 2338 07:45:14
    31 1462 07:47:33
    32 113 07:47:44
    33 1815 07:48:14
    34 697 07:48:44
    35 408 07:48:53
    36 698 07:49:28
    37 1649 07:50:36
    38 1197 07:50:37
    39 1457 07:50:47
    40 26 07:51:52

Are you sure those times are all for 200 like.... 4 13 for 200 k I dont think so

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Are you sure those times are all for 200 like.... 4 13 for 200 k I dont think so

I don't know who completed the full course, or if any are the result of computer error. I took out the ones that were obviously unreal, but I'm not going to make a judgement call as to when they become "genuine".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

After a bit of mashing in excel (I found the best way to be to copy the entire web page (ctrl+a) and paste it into excel and then remove the graphics etc.) it looks like I did about the 11th fastest real time in the 100 - excluding the people who managed it in 1 and a half hours! I'm delighted - and thanks again to Planet X for hauling me around the course.

sure, didn't we sit down on the wall in Laragh for a good 10 minutes............and watched the guys whizz by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

Cadex wrote: »
    Em, I'm no Alberto Contador but what is a likely fastest time? Apart from the 'freakish' 1:30, did someone really do it in a little over 4 hours (50k/h)? I am in awe......

interesting. I went around in 6hrs 45mins. That was an average of 28.1km/h. To do it in a little over 4 hours must be clocking an average of high 30s at least.

not on that list though, cos of a 40 min wait at the start for a friend that didnt show.

Those times are scan times rather than cycle times. Hence pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

2015 checked in
    92 didn't finish or had times less than 1 hour

1116 finished the 200
    758 finished the 100

Wicklow 200
    Hours Number Finshed
    2 1
    3 1
    4 1
    5 4
    6 7
    7 12
    8 48
    9 243
    10 572
    11 900
    12 1061
    13 1111
    14 1116

Wicklow 100
    Hours Number Finshed
    2 3
    3 5
    4 14
    5 297
    6 601
    7 724
    8 748
    9 756
    10 757
    11 758

Full sort Wicklow 200 SCAN times (blanks removed, but all times over 2 hours listed, no idea of accuracy (200k in 4 hours?!))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 these times are pretty useless unless you didn't stop in Donard or Rathdrum (or anywhere for that matter).

I imagine most participants had there own cycle computer, which will give a much more accurate "cycle time" as opposed to a simple start/finish time.

• Advertisement

Wicklow 100 SCAN times (blanks removed, still some crazy fast - suspect - times).

Advertisement