Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Note** Early on one of the computers was not set at the correct time so some times are a bit out,

Don't think it explains the 4 hours for the 200 though

Doesn't explain my horrendously slow time either :(

although I know I must have got scanned at the dodgy one as my starting time is almost 40 minutes off (or so the story will go to anyone who asks) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

4hrs for the 200 just sounds like someone who did the 100...makes the times mostly entirely useless as how do you know whats a fast 200 or a slow 100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

We weren't asked at scan time whether we were doing the 100 or the 200. They only record they have is what we said on the entry form. I'd say all the 4 and 5 hour times for the 200 are actually 100. And the 8 and 9s for the 100 are 200. My guess is it is unlikely anyone did it in an elapsed time of under 6:30. Even 6:30 requires, zero stops, no time wasting at the start or finish and an average speed of 30K. Doable but only if you are a class 1 or 2 and dedicated to getting a good scan time.

Scan times are pretty useless though. I had an elapsed time that was over 3.5 hours more than my clock time as I was with a friend who had had very little training and did very well to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Don't think it explains the 4 hours for the 200 though

Doesn't explain my horrendously slow time either :(

although I know I must have got scanned at the dodgy one as my starting time is almost 40 minutes off (or so the story will go to anyone who asks) :eek:

You said you were in Cofidis kit? Did you have a little satchel type pannier over the back of your bike? I passed a guy on the Liam Horner, thought it might be you.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You said you were in Cofidis kit? Did you have a little satchel type pannier over the back of your bike? I passed a guy on the Liam Horner, thought it might be you.

There were 2 of us (that I know of) in Cofidis kit, If it was an incredibly oversized Caradice bag on a really dodgy looking road bike, or if the guy you were looking at was just lounging on the side of the road eating chocolate, then yes it was me.

I was also the guy who had no rain gear and done 3/4 of it in the rain in S/S and shorts looking like a bit of a plank.

• Advertisement

Yes it was you so. I think I might have said "How's it going?" and I think you said something along the lines of "slowly" or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was also the guy who had no rain gear and done 3/4 of it in the rain in S/S and shorts looking like a bit of a plank.

I wore overshoes and leg warmers for most of it - and felt like complete plank. Didn't want to stow them in my Jersey with my half uneaten banana and flapjacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

garo wrote: »
    We weren't asked at scan time whether we were doing the 100 or the 200.
    I was asked at the end if it was 100 or 200 and she didn't believe me when I told her 200!

I was asked at the end if it was 100 or 200 and she didn't believe me when I told her 200!
    But you didn't, did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The times for an event like this are stupid, I didn't even swipe at any of the checkpoints or the end... whats the point? I have a computer on my bike so I know my time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

garo wrote: »
    But you didn't, did you?
    I didn't, but it was obvious that I was joking by my big dirty smile and it being 11am. I went down as a 100er
    mloc123 wrote: »
    The times for an event like this are stupid, I didn't even swipe at any of the checkpoints or the end... whats the point? I have a computer on my bike so I know my time.
    I know what you mean but, though it's not a race etc., I still like to know how I compared to others. I stopped for a sambo and I'd expect that most others would also so while not exactly scientific, I do think it gives you a good idea.

Any chance you could just throw that into an excel page Cadex? Makes it ridiculously hard to view the thread on a mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Yep - you're right, done now. One for the 100 and one for the 200 replacing the original posts. (sorry!)

Yes it was you so. I think I might have said "How's it going?" and I think you said something along the lines of "slowly" or some such.

I won't lie, that sounds like something I'd say alright. It was around the 120km mark (maybe?) I think we crossed paths. On the plus side I picked up speed in the last 40km.

I also chatted to Vélo for a few minutes in Donard (who laughed when he realised I was the sap who agreed to order the jerseys, I think my response was something along the lines of "I'll be ****** if I ever volunteer to do anything ever again).

I seen Caroline_ie as well, shouted nice jersey at her on the uphill in the rain but then I realise she was chatting as if uphills were no problem and I decided to say nowt more should my unhealthy vigour cause me to fall over.

I also seen number 2 and number 5, think I said nice jersey as well. Shouted at one of them that it was no time to be taking a break as a few lads had holed up in a layby around a corner. My chain would slip 10 minutes later to see them sail past me (me thinks, I'll shut my mouth in future).

There was another guy called John in a boards jersey as we were going up Slieve Mann I think, where I snuck into their group and everyone started making fun of the entire female constituents of one guy(beside John)s family.

Having only seen the boards jersey in photo form before I have to say it looks very good in real life.

My biggest plus from this event was my ability to walk upstairs immediately after it happened, normally I would struggle for 2/3 days to walk correctly up stairs but after wicklow200. It was grand. I thank the MB200 for this.

All in all I covered 251.8km, started at 06:15 and was back home by 20:10. I averaged about 17km/hr according to my Cateye but it was on during rest stops as well so it would be slightly higher.

I won't lie, that sounds like something I'd say alright. It was around the 120km mark (maybe?)

Earlier, passing the Liam Horner memorial on the way up to the Sally Gap, about 20km I think. I was wearing bright green liquigas kit (Fred!) and on a blue bike with white tyres (mega-Fred!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I seen Caroline_ie as well, shouted nice jersey at her on the uphill in the rain but then I realise she was chatting as if uphills were no problem and I decided to say nowt more should my unhealthy vigour cause me to fall over.

LoL Are you sure it was me? I am rather sh!te uphill ... actually no I am very lazy uphill, I hate pain and sweat.

LoL Are you sure it was me? I am rather sh!te uphill ... actually no I am very lazy uphill, I hate pain and sweat.

Ooh boy, that sounds just like me. My trick this W200 was to hang out with guys with less miles than me. I didn't feel so bad about going slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

That was a bloody tough day! I posted my experiences on my blog including one pic of the man himself that I'll be showing off for years! Great day out!

Esroh nice to meet you at the finish - felt so bad you'd lost your keys!

Sean Kelly was 2244 and he did not scan his card in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

That was a bloody tough day! I posted my experiences on my blog including one pic of the man himself that I'll be showing off for years! Great day out!

Completely OT - but sweetcorn on the pizza, sacrilege!!

Well done to yourself and all the other boardsies that took on the day BTW - the WW200 is one I've not yet ticked off my list of events completed and by all accounts ye had a serious day in the saddle between the smorgesbord of difficulty provided by the distance, the climbing and then the weather. Ye lot deserve a second medal for the effort of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Completely OT - but sweetcorn on the pizza, sacrilege!!

Haha I can only plead guilty through climb-induced insanity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

My 1st W200 and had the fear factor much reduced following successful completion of the Mick Byrne 200.

Excellent event, well marshalled and marked, with food stops well located.

Bonus was meeting Sean Kelly at the finish, and him taking the time to pose for a photo with me. A true gent!!

450th according to Cadex's Excel file
    2137 6:44:58 AM 4:15:47 PM 09:30 200

Actual Garmin time: 08:01:53, Dist 194.9km, Avg 24.26km/hr, Max 74.85km/hr. I was probably 20/30 mins less, as I took the Garmin off the bike in Donard, so it was still running during the food stop as I was walking around.
    LastGasp wrote: »
    Got together with a guy in all Italia gear for the last stretch from Ashford to the Finish, we were suffering a bit but kept up a decent pace. Got in at 14:50 thankfully missing out the heavy rain.

Could have been myself, I was in full blue Team Italia kit on Focus Cayo. Got back in around that time too.

Boardsies spotted: Rode for a bit with Gimmeaminute after Kilbride, said hello to Lescol at Donard and again at Rathdrum, and Nietzschean at Slieve Maan water stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Earlier, passing the Liam Horner memorial on the way up to the Sally Gap, about 20km I think. I was wearing bright green liquigas kit (Fred!) and on a blue bike with white tyres (mega-Fred!).

Was that you walking accross the road on the descent off the Shay Elliott !?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I posted my experiences on my blog

Good blog.

Zipp101 wrote: »

No, myself and Raam decided to head home before Brittas. If you didn't see me on the Sally Gap, it wasn't me anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

We left them at it and could see the Wicklow mountains come closer and closer until all of a sudden we hit the 1st mountain - Slieve Mann... only it wasn't Slieve Mann, it was some bastard of a climb right before the actual mountain, and you only realise half way up that it's not the real deal, while you're in pain, HR going mad, legs stinging, not fun!

This is always a ball buster and for most people who think they are climbing Slieve Mann a real kick in the teeth :)

Great read Tackleberry and well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Good to put a face to the Name,
    Re the Keys well we got to leave at 9pm. Felt so guilty about the Ambulance crew who would not hear of leaving me in the tent to wait once I came back to normal temperature. They got to leave just before we did which meant they had been on duty for 16 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Very good blog!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Zipp101 wrote: »

That was me. Was a bit dazed and was trying to recover my scattered waterbottles after a reasonably spectacular fall. No real damage other than some nasty bruising and a few scrapes

• Advertisement

Jimm??
    IMG_4254.jpg
    Some boardsis i am not sure who:
    IMG_4280.jpg
    oflahero:
    IMG_4332.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Some boardsis i am not sure who:
    IMG_4280.jpg
    oflahero:

No that's me:o, he said he was taking a picture of his reflection in my glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Does anybody know if there are any 'atmospheric' type photos of the climbs available ?

I'm thinking of the classic photo you see every year during the TDF with the string of riders battling up the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The smiling gent in boardsie gear is Lescol.
    Savage climber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Jimm??
    IMG_4254.jpg
    Yep! That's me, Thanks. (Must get some blue gloves)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

That could have been when you were talking to me going up Powerscourt Mountain. You were chatting and climbing with ease, and took off very comfortably when we reached the top. You certainly gave me the impression that you were taking it in your stride :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Surprised by the absence of a post or two from blorg on this thread since the event.
    Presumably he didn't take part in this event.
    Anyone know if he's okay?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Surprised by the absence of a post or two from blorg on this thread since the event.
    Presumably he didn't take part in this event.
    Anyone know if he's okay?
    He has been touring on his bike for the past couple of weeks in mainland Europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks Caroline.
    Thought it might be something like that.
    Glad he's well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

He has been touring on his bike for the past couple of weeks in mainland Europe.

We are having glorious weather while he is in Europe. Meanwhile they are having torrential rain and floods.
    We need to do what it takes to keep Blorg touring. How about a Blorg rainy day fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

ROK ON wrote: »
    Savage climber.

:eek:don't believe it:eek:

but thanks for the compliment:D

• Advertisement

Not a cycling blog strictly speaking, but this is my account of the experience on Sunday from my blog, which includes a bit of a preamble about me and cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

unionman wrote: »
    Not a cycling blog strictly speaking, but this is my account of the experience on Sunday from my blog, which includes a bit of a preamble about me and cycling.

Good read. Will you be making the trip to Kerry again?

penexpers wrote: »
    Good read. Will you be making the trip to Kerry again?

Hiya, many thanks.

I'm not doing it this year sad to say, something else going on that weekend. Hoping to do Kilkenny and Kildare again though.

How about you? Hope you're keeping well.

Hey, my 1,000th post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

For all you stat whores (which im one)

wickstat2.jpg
    wickstat1.jpg

Reasonably happy with that (100km in 3h56mins). I didn't do the offical route. Town - enniskerry - Joined up at the sugarloaf - rathdrum - cut across the R752 and joined up again to the route - greystones then home. Travelled a total of 140km which is the most ive ever done in one sitting

Roadtoad wrote: »
    The wonker in the car that wanted to get past 2 ambulances, a back board and a girl in the ditch got up my goat as well, as he 'was late for work'. I suggested he go south back over the mountain, his facial response was priceless!
    Where you the guy waving down traffic slightly uphill from the incident?
    Good comment to the guy, he was indeed a wonker.

I remember, I think I had the "Slowly" response programmed in early, completely missed the white tyres on the bike, bit too early in the day for proper focus for me.

You looked super calm and collected, I decided to push harder after my attempt at conversation was bound to fail and was one of those huffing and puffing past you.
    oflahero:
    IMG_4332.jpg

Met this guy in Donard for a chat over a sandwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hiya, many thanks.

I'm not doing it this year sad to say, something else going on that weekend. Hoping to do Kilkenny and Kildare again though.

How about you? Hope you're keeping well.

Hey, my 1,000th post!!

Pity about that! I'm heading down to Kerry again. Actually been getting out for cycles this time around so I hope to get around a bit quicker. Going to do the one in Louth next weekend too and will be back for Kildare. Hope to see you then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Couple of good reports.. Thanks lads .... Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Seen a lot of people wearing football socks on the 200, not the triathlon compression socks but propper footie socks was a bit weird, anyone else notice this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

levitronix wrote: »
    Seen a lot of people wearing football socks on the 200, not the triathlon compression socks but propper footie socks was a bit weird, anyone else notice this ?

I hope they were white or else there is no hope for the euro rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Here's my report / experience of the race. (Or here (last post on that page) on my training log on Boards.ie) In summary, it was quite tough but a lot of fun.

Conor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement