Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

tunney wrote: »
    With 7 months to prepare no one should even be thinking of doing the W200.

If you started to prepare I'd expected everyone to have done a similar ride to the W200 4-5 times By March.
    You forgot to mention that those "4-5 times" should all be in the 53 ring ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If you started to prepare I'd expected everyone to have done a similar ride to the W200 4-5 times By March.

Honestly, how many people spit out a 200km cycle when it isn't on a sportive day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ryaner wrote: »
    Honestly, how many people spit out a 200km cycle when it isn't on a sportive day?

An interesting poll perhaps? (A good few I'd reckon)

My point was merely that if you are preparing for 7 months for a 200km cycle then you'll most likely do quite a few W200 style rides before hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My point was merely that if you are preparing for 7 months for a 200km cycle then you'll most likely do quite a few W200 style rides before hand.

There's the Mick Byrne 200 before it in April I think run by Sorrento. I did the 100km and loved it. It'd be really good preperation for the WW200

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I started back cycling last December, W200 was the longest day I had of cycling up till that point by over 60km. In fact I think I've only once done a 200km+ cycle in a day that wasn't someway related to a sportive.

Def do a poll. I'd be very interested to see the results. Would expect lots of people do lots of 100-140km cycles with Wicklow and all, but 200km+ is a bigger event in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

havent done that many sportifs but never was a food stop more welcomed then on the Mt. Leinster this year. more cake/sambos/tea then any Boardsie's could eat (though they did give it their best shot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I know that a fair few regular posters here think nothing of a 200, and do 100s at least once a week. A larger contingent could certainly manage a 200 right now if they wanted to (I could, but it would be slow, and there would be complaining). This is not normal behaviour. To the average bar-stool-jockey 200km through the "mountains" is about as plausible a short term goal as eating a car.

It's those people I'm talking to when I say forget the 100, do the 200. A lot of those first timers are there because they've read about it on boards, they've read about the camaraderie, or the suffering or the sense of achievement (remember your first long spin tunney? your first mental milestone? C'mon, even you had to start somewhere) and said, usually over a pub table, fukit, I'll give it a lash.

I really like that this forum is responsible for getting otherwise sensible but sedentary people out there on the bike for the first time.

7 months is enough for them to get it together, given inevitable procrastination and backsliding, for those who only need enough time to check their tyre pressures and fill their bidons, well, forget about it till June I suppose.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I know that a fair few regular posters here think nothing of a 200, and do 100s at least once a week. A larger contingent could certainly manage a 200 right now if they wanted to (I could, but it would be slow, and there would be complaining). This is not normal behaviour. To the average bar-stool-jockey 200km through the "mountains" is about as plausible a short term goal as eating a car.

It's those people I'm talking to when I say forget the 100, do the 200. A lot of those first timers are there because they've read about it on boards, they've read about the camaraderie, or the suffering or the sense of achievement (remember your first long spin tunney? your first mental milestone? C'mon, even you had to start somewhere) and said, usually over a pub table, fukit, I'll give it a lash.

I really like that this forum is responsible for getting otherwise sensible but sedentary people out there on the bike for the first time.

7 months is enough for them to get it together, given inevitable procrastination and backsliding, for those who only need enough time to check their tyre pressures and fill their bidons, well, forget about it till June I suppose.

Thinking back to my first W200, perspective definitely lost, or at least screwed up.

If W200 is your goal and 7 months is a little long to try and focus on one event, I'd throw a series of lesser goals in for the short to medium term to help maintain motivation and focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The challenge with the WW200 is that it's really quite hilly.

I live 25km ish from the Dublin mountains, and my normal (time restricted) training loop is about 95km to Sally Gap and back. Half of that is getting to and from the mountains, so I'm only doing ~45km of hills, and half of that is downhill.

To train properly for the WW200 (by which I mean train such that I could complete it enjoyably at decent pace) I'd need to be doing at 200km training rides (50km flat + 150km in the hills), and that'd take all day - time that not everybody has available.

Training to finish is obviously much easier. I did a handful of 100km+ rides last year and crawled round the 200 in 9 hours with much whining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

niceonetom wrote: »

Well i am a perfect example of that. I had knee issues all the winter and a very few long rides. I haven't signed for it because i though i couldn't do it. Then i decided that i have to at least try the 100. I posted it here and everyone pushed me to the 200, and i am glad i i did it. I suffered much and i whined double as much (and thanks god Lastgasp was there to share the pain), but i completed it, and i felt like the king of the world with the medal on the chest. And i did it because i had guys like Tiny, blorg, Tom, emty (and a bunch more) saying that i could do it and i should go for it. Cheers again guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

If W200 is your goal and 7 months is a little long to try and focus on one event, I'd throw a series of lesser goals in for the short to medium term to help maintain motivation and focus.

Deffo. The Orwell randonné was my first proper organised event - I think that was in the spring some time and was ~120km (I think). I only had the roadbike a month at that stage, but it was an ideal introduction to the whole thing - basically the first and last 60km of the WW200.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

First time I did the W200 the longest spin I'd ever done was no more than 70kms and I'd say I'd barely done 500kms in the preceding 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending that as a good approach. I was in a shocking state at the end. Shivering even though it was a pleasantly warm evening. Had to be driven home, put to bed and slept for 14 hours. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm liking this thread, as with many here I need something to aim for, whats the first big cycle of 2010? surly there's one before the w200?

My ones for 2010 include:

W200
    West cork 200
    ROK 200
    Kilkenny 200 (it rocked last year)
    Conor Pass

Any other recommendations?

Without any question the most fun I had this year was on the Tour of Louth sportive.

100km hammerfest beats 200km snorefest any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Esroh wrote: »
    Is the real problem with W200 not that its been run by the Vet Assoc.
    These are hardened Knights of the Road who would ride 200km on a 500ml Water bottle and a Banana. This is what they always did
    You can see them thinking the rest of us should HTFU and do it on a few mars bars and a sambo.
    The SK and all the other Newbie Sportives are only pandering to the spoilt Celtic Kittens who want their hands held after riding a few Charity rides where they were fed cake.;)
    Love it!
    Seriously though, I know shocking queues build up at Donard and I hope the organisers do their utmost to address the issues but if you're bothered by it that much then start early and beat the rush. I was at the Clonmel stop on the SK Tour this year and within a short space of time there was a long queue for food stretching well out into the car park. It seems to be a growing problem with the increasing popularity of these events, particularly at the first stops- on the W200 there never seems to be the same pressure at Rathdrum because the field is that much more spread out.
    I think the popularity of the W200 has a lot to do with the fact that it's by far the longest running event of its kind in this country (and probably the UK too). It is to cyclists what the Dublin Marathon is to runners and to continue the comparison, the marathon costs more and you don't get any food stops along the way.

• Advertisement

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Seriously though, I know shocking queues build up at Donard and I hope the organisers do their utmost to address the issues but if you're bothered by it that much then start early and beat the rush.

Boardsies don't do early starts. ;)

There is a grouchy school of thought that sportives are a completely pointless activity, since you may as well just grab a bunch of mates and cycle 200km or whatever on your chosen route, eat at nice relaxed places (e.g. the cafe at Laragh) and avoid the risk of death-by-Fred.

In fact the WW200 route is marked out on the road, so you don't even need a plan or a map.

The organisation of the WW200 doesn't do much to counter this argument. If the food stops are overcrowded and the sangwiches are crap, then what is the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    The organisation of the WW200 doesn't do much to counter this argument. If the food stops are overcrowded and the sangwiches are crap, then what is the point?

Clearly it's the blue wristband.

I enjoyed the W200 cycle, don't get me wrong. Shay Elliot and Slieve Maan were fantastic climbs and nervous descents and after not completing it the year before, there was a certain amount of demon banishment that was done when I got the certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I sort of agree with Tunney on this one in that seven months for one event is excessive.

This time last year I weighed a hell of a lot and couldn't get up hills. I started training of WW200 in Dec. Now I needed to drop weight. By april I was bored to tears with wicklow.
    I had 3 weeks of the bike in early may due to a crash and it was exactly what I needed.

Intermediate goals are pretty important.

Next year I plan on doing
    Mick Byrne
    MT Leinster
    WW200

All as preparation for The Raid Pyreneean in early july.

(thanks to blorg/barrabus) for inspiring on this one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't have a problem with the W200. Have done it two years running now and always enjoyed it. Sure there were big queues this year at the first food stop, but I ended up queuing at the Sean Kelly this year as well.

Anyway, I pick events for the route, not for the cake.

Thinking back to my first W200, perspective definitely lost, or at least screwed up.

God Tunney, stop being reasonable. It's frightening me.

el tonto wrote: »
    Anyway, I pick events for the route, not for the cake
    Quote of the day!

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    All as preparation for The Raid Pyreneean in early july.
    Any details on this ROK ON?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Boardsies don't do early starts. ;)

There is a grouchy school of thought that sportives are a completely pointless activity, since you may as well just grab a bunch of mates and cycle 200km or whatever on your chosen route, eat at nice relaxed places (e.g. the cafe at Laragh) and avoid the risk of death-by-Fred.

In fact the WW200 route is marked out on the road, so you don't even need a plan or a map.

The point is that you can say that you did the W200 and not merely that you rode the W200 route on some other day of your choosing. After all, it's really just a huge celebration of cycling - several thousand people out riding the same pre-determined route on the same day. Who cares about the food, just carry or organise your own.

And I agree, this is getting like Christmas with the hype and discussion starting earlier each year - lets forget it for a few months (but is it really only seven months away?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Anyway, I pick events for the route, not for the cake.

Well, this is part of the problem, is it not? Without wanting to be too Dublin-centric about it, I think a lot of us are very familiar with the roads the Wicklow 200 follows - the routes I've seen (2007 and 2009 only) have been quite obvious. Whereas the Mick Byrne took me over a lot of roads I hadn't travelled before (and had better weather, which is probably a bigger factor than I'd like to admit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I don't have a problem with the W200. Have done it two years running now and always enjoyed it. Sure there were big queues this year at the first food stop, but I ended up queuing at the Sean Kelly this year as well.
    They ran out of sandwiches on the last stop of the Ring of Kerry too.

I'm not a fan of the 2 big sportives I did this year, ROK and WW200. Too much time doding other cyclists and they were too bloody long. 100kms with 100 participants is much nicer. I'll do the Sean Kelly next year, but only to say that I've done it. Probably won't bother with the other 2.

The point of sportives, as far as I'm concerned, is the same for any event be it a marathon, a car rally, a music festival its for the enjoyment, the people you meet, the challenge etc. You can race others, beat your pb or just do it to do it:) its like entering astro leagues or what not....

That's the main difference I see with these events and tri's for example is its all competition in tri's (that and the swim and run:D) everyone is out to compete, not so in the W200 and def not in the ROK!

If you don't like the Q's for food why not cycle faster and get there before the crowd? to do that you'll have to be bike fit, ie start training now:p

The point of sportives, as far as I'm concerned, is the same for any event be it a marathon, a car rally, a music festival its for the enjoyment, the people you meet, the challenge etc. You can race others, beat your pb or just do it to do it:) its like entering astro leagues or what not....

That's the main difference I see with these events and tri's for example is its all competition in tri's (that and the swim and run:D) everyone is out to compete, not so in the W200 and def not in the ROK!

If you don't like the Q's for food why not cycle faster and get there before the crowd? to do that you'll have to be bike fit, ie start training now:p

Maybe if you tried bike RACING it may also be about competition?

That's my point, racing is great, if your into racing but if you want to be involved in cycling events without the race element that's where these events fit in.

That's my point, racing is great, if your into racing but if you want to be involved in cycling events without the race element that's where these events fit in.

But then you talk about "racing others", "beating pbs"???? ***Confused***

But then you talk about "racing others", "beating pbs"???? ***Confused***

It's about beating people who aren't competing with you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rottenhat wrote: »
    Well, this is part of the problem, is it not? Without wanting to be too Dublin-centric about it, I think a lot of us are very familiar with the roads the Wicklow 200 follows - the routes I've seen (2007 and 2009 only) have been quite obvious. Whereas the Mick Byrne took me over a lot of roads I hadn't travelled before (and had better weather, which is probably a bigger factor than I'd like to admit).

Good point, but at least they do change it up every year or two unlike the Sean Kelly and ROK. Didn't the Mick Byrne spend a lot of time on back roads and could there be an issue in throwing a few thousand cyclists over such narrow roads?
    They ran out of sandwiches on the last stop of the Ring of Kerry too.

I'm not a fan of the 2 big sportives I did this year, ROK and WW200. Too much time doding other cyclists and they were too bloody long. 100kms with 100 participants is much nicer. I'll do the Sean Kelly next year, but only to say that I've done it. Probably won't bother with the other 2.

I'm a big believer in the early start as it means less queuing at the stops and not being caught up in slow moving cyclists. ROK isn't that long though, at least in terms of ride time. Less climbs and good roads mean you fly around it.

• Advertisement

It's about beating people who aren't competing with you.

The most widely practiced form of racing on this forum.

sy wrote: »
    Any details on this ROK ON?

Yes. Plan is to to so it supported maybe with velopeleton.
    I am aiming for last week in june or first week in july.
    You would be very welcome to tag along. I would welcome doing it with a few people. Was going to do etape but don't want to do something with 7k other cyclists.
    When gradient approaches 10% I climb at avg od 10kmph. On that basis I need to improve this to 12-13kmph in order to have 4.5days at 8hrs om saddle as opposed to 10hrs.

You are a better climber than I so it should be no bother.

All I meant was that a sportive is what you want it to be. One can hammer all the way if one wishes or can stop at each food stop and go as slow as a summer afternoon.
    There is no official race but one can still ride it for ones own reasons, these include pb's, racing comrades etc.
    In racing, you race, therefore they would be traditionally seen as attracting those who are cycling the event to specifically win or compete, thus excluding people who cycle for a past time or any non competitive reason. For example in a tri I was involved in last year the leader in the cycle blew a tyre, instead of fixing and continuing he dropped out as it cost him too much time. There is a big difference between the ethos of such events.

My initial point was just highlighting the attractiveness of such events as the ROK or the W200 for non competitive cyclists......

Just noticed there are GPX files for the W200 on their site, class I can ride the 2009 W200 on my Computrainer in my shed now. I suppose if I was extra nice I could ask the wife to bring cake out to me every few hours.

Just noticed there are GPX files for the W200 on their site, class I can ride the 2009 W200 on my Computrainer in my shed now. I suppose if I was extra nice I could ask the wife to bring cake out to me every few hours.

Stick this on in the corner for the full effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

you`ll have to cue for it to make it uber realistic though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Didn't the Mick Byrne spend a lot of time on back roads and could there be an issue in throwing a few thousand cyclists over such narrow roads?

That's certainly a fair point - if you were doing the Mick Byrne on a larger scale it would be very crowded and it would also have to be extensively marshalled which is obviously a considerable expense and administrative hassle. One of the organisers of the Mount Leinster said to me afterwards that he thought if it got any bigger than 200 riders they'd have to start limiting it so they could keep the quality up which is pretty small beans compared with the Wicklow. For my part, I prefer something smaller and I doubt I will do many sportives next year at all because of this - I'm happy to accept that, like gigs in stadiums, the likes of the Wicklow 200 are just not for me. Given the familiarity of the route, and the inferior organisation, and the high price...you're more like to see me at the start line in Dungarvan than UCD in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Greyspoke wrote: »
    I was at the Clonmel stop on the SK Tour this year and within a short space of time there was a long queue for food stretching well out into the car park.

The queue this year in Clonmel was at least as bad as anything I've seen on the W200. Also, the shower facilities in Dungarvan were woeful and far inferior to those in UCD. Just thought that was worth pointing out.
    Best bang per buck sportive I've done (not that I've done loads) was the Mick Byrne this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I wonder will we see anyone doing the WW200 on the Dublin Bikes Scheme bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'm liking this thread, as with many here I need something to aim for, whats the first big cycle of 2010? surly there's one before the w200?

My ones for 2010 include:

W200
    West cork 200
    ROK 200
    Kilkenny 200 (it rocked last year)
    Conor Pass

An Post Tour of Sligo was May 9th in 09. Good early one

Ill plug our own.
    Western Lakes CC Polka Dot Fada (180km) July 18th 2010

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Vélo wrote: »
    I wonder will we see anyone doing the WW200 on the Dublin Bikes Scheme bikes?

I think you should propose this to blorg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

....entry is now open.

I've "thrown my hat over the wall" - signed up for the 200!

Start in Gteystones.

Then onto Enniskerry for similar route to Shay Elliott. Then back to gteystones via Rathdrum, Avocaand Ashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

W200 entry is now open!

Have paid, so am now committed to training. Bring on June 13th:D

See, 3 into 1 does go :)

threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Behold the power of the mod overlord!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Is it just me or is there nowhere near as much climbing as last year? Maybe I'm missing something, but even as a newbie I'm kind of wishing it was a bit tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

no UCD.. end of an era, kinda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Blowfish wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there nowhere near as much climbing as last year? Maybe I'm missing something, but even as a newbie I'm kind of wishing it was a bit tougher.

Ride faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Blowfish wrote: »
    Raam wrote: »
    Ride faster

Do it on a fixie ;)

I've entered too, need something to encourage me to get out during the miserable Irish winter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement