Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Raam wrote: »
    Ride faster
    True, plus from looking at it, I've an extra ~25km trip each way to get to/from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Ah feck i was in a meeting will never have a low number now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

God damn it... cycling back from Greystones afterwards is going to suck, especially if the weather is bad :( UCD and the Wicklow 250 last year wasn't too bad, but an extra 40k on top of that will be a killer.

e: Ah hell and I've just realised that it means getting up at 4am to cycle down... bring back UCD :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Ive no idea regarding reasoning behind the change of start/finish and would have thought the route almost identical to last year apart from the initial 15 km and final 30 or 40.

I would reckon that the start and more specifically the finish in Greystones will be safer than trundling down through stepaside and in/around dundrum. Traffic on the newcastle/kilcoole road to Greystones should be non-existent as opposed to Enniskerry village on a sunday afternoon in June.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Start/finish in Greystones mean it will be more like the Wicklow 250 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Missed that, start in Greystones is a pain in the neck to be honest.

blorg wrote: »
    Missed that, start in Greystones is a pain in the neck to be honest.
    Maybe the burgers and chips will be nicer ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Blowfish wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there nowhere near as much climbing as last year? Maybe I'm missing something, but even as a newbie I'm kind of wishing it was a bit tougher.
    Total ascent per Mapmyride was 1,815m in 2009 and will be 1,678m in 2010, an overall reduction of 7.5%
    An extra 1.52km distance to make up for it though:)

Last time I was down in Greystones, there was an Asian place that did an all you can eat buffet on Sunday afternoons for €10. Wonder what they'd think of several hundred people in Lycra descending on them.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Total ascent per Mapmyride was 1,815m in 2009 and will be 1,678m in 2010, an overall reduction of 7.5%
    An extra 1.52km distance to make up for it though:)
    Ah ok, must have misremembered. I thought it was about 2,300m last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Garmin meters, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It probably was, but Mapmyride significantly understates it (that's why I compared both of their figures)

Hopefully 665 participants will not have registered before me this time:)

Depends on how you measure it; Garmins would put it substantially higher as they count every little undulation while MMR averages it out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Greystones start. A little inconvenient, I really don't fancy the Wicklow 300 (including cycle from C'knock)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Thank God for my THULE 591 Pro Ride Roof Carrier that's all I'm saying :)

fletch wrote: »
    Thank God for my THULE 591 Pro Ride Roof Carrier that's all I'm saying :)
    Thank God for my big boot that's all I'm saying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Disappointed that main part of route is unchanged.
    Would like to see Long Hill, Lugalla, Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, SM & SE then Sally gap from Laragh down to Kippure Holiday camp and up the back of Kippure.
    Btw my fantasy WW200 would start at bottom of stocking lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I won't be doing it this time, heading off on holidays on Fri 11th.

So if anybody wants to borrow a couple of Thule Outride bike carriers for the trek to Greystones you are more than welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Any-one got link to blogs on the day, do ya stop at shops along the way for munch

Training plans

General time plan for someone who is sub 85 min half marathon fit - and will be first big bike event

Anything else I should need to know

When will it sell out

dario28 wrote: »
    Any-one got link to blogs on the day, do ya stop at shops along the way for munch

Training plans

General time plan for someone who is sub 85 min half marathon fit - and will be first big bike event

Anything else I should need to know

When will it sell out
    Last years thread. Lot's of stuff in there, most of it wont have changed.

• Advertisement

dario28 wrote: »

Get a few 100km spins in beforehand, you'll be fine. Sub-8 hours no problem with that level of fitness.

I can run that fast too. For about a minute.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Disappointed that main part of route is unchanged.
    Would like to see Long Hill, Lugalla, Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, SM & SE then Sally gap from Laragh down to Kippure Holiday camp and up the back of Kippure.
    That is vaguely similar to the Boards 200 we did last year. The Wicklow 200 is a mass participation event you must remember, they can't make it too insanely difficult.

The main issue I would have if they are starting it in Greystones (which I consider to be nuts) is that starting 20km south of UCD they could at least extend the route further south around climbs we are not so familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Not having done this event before I was all set for this starting at UCD this year. Back to the drawing board with travel & accomodation arrangements now! Might an advance Boardsie meet somewhere in Dublin be on the cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

I have just signed up dont care where it starts or finishes i just want to do it and have started my training plan looking forward to it now

Mmmm another thread gave me an idea.... Canine powered WW200 ...
    Bikejoring.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I didn't see anywhere on the site - where are the food stops this time? I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the Donard stop last year and if it's there again, I'll have to seriously consider if I'm going to go in for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Donard and Rathdrum it says, Food in Donard isn't up to much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Maybe they moved it to Greystones as a way to control numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

briano wrote: »

Not the quality that was really the issue last year, just the huge queues. A 45 minute wait for a sambo and cuppa is a chore. It certainly takes any sense of momentum out of the ride and it can take a long time to get the blood flowing again.

I'd be tempted to do this guerilla style this year. Do the route, but not register and simply provide for ourselves with food. Hopefully by the time June comes around I'll be in the kind of shape where I can give it a good effort for the whole course, and will be comfortable enough with only stopping to refill bidons and pockets.

Lumen wrote: »
    See, 3 into 1 does go :)

threads merged

Bah.

Signed up as soon as I saw the e-mail (funnily enough, was on the website earlier today). Didn't see the Greystones start at first. That'll suck.

Dónal wrote: »

Anyone else? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

ROK ON wrote: »

Here....here...........lets start a petition.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

tomc wrote: »
    Here.Hear...here..Hear.........lets start a petition.:)

Fixed that for you.

I used to make the same mistake

Sorry to question this, but I still can't see that on the page - either in text or on the maps. Was it definitely not an old edition of the WW200 that you're referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Signed up!

This could be a good first run for Tiny's proposed cargo bike/mobile cake&caffeine stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Well this is going to be a massive pain in the ass. For me the greystones start adds 30km each way so its really a wicklow 260 or maybe i could just do the 100 and convert that to 160km but its just not the same. I hope the organizers can get in touch with the dart service and come to a once of agreement allowing bikes on, just 1 day or between certain hours.

I know on the weekends there used to be a special dart, no doubt due to demand that ran from connolly station to Dun Laoghaire. Cant the same be done for this one day. Or there was one occasion, well two when i was allowed bring my bike on the dart. One was when i had a flat tyre, they told me to remove both wheels in essence making the bike "luggage". The second was something similar, they wouldn't allow me bring the bike on the dart but there was a train that runs on Sundays from Wexford to connolly that stops of at Dun Laoghaire which they allowed me bring the bike on. I hope something could be arranged

These are just ideas at the moment nothing to start panicking about now. Who knows i may have learned to drive by then (disgusting as that sounds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Sorry to question this, but I still can't see that on the page - either in text or on the maps. Was it definitely not an old edition of the WW200 that you're referring to?

No worries, it's on the entry page

The 2010 Wicklow 200 - Sunday June 13th 2010
    On-line Entry page

Use this page to enter the 2010 Wicklow 200 Classic (200km) or the shorter
    Wicklow Challenge, and to pay the entry fee online.
    Both will take place on Sunday 13th June 2010, starting and ending at the
    Shoreline Leisure Centre, Greystones, County Wicklow.

The entry fee is 42.00 Euro. The entry fee includes your certificate, medal, refreshments at Donard (Wicklow 200 only) and Rathdrum, Water stations on the route,and refreshments at Shoreline Leisure Centre when you finish, use of changing and shower facilities at the start/finish, and various support services during the event.

40km from my house to Greystones.

At this stage, with 193 days to go, the "Wicklow 280" sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

0 km from my house to Greystones. Yeeeeow, might have to sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Will ye all relax with the "Feckin Greystones" start point :)
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of boardsies driving to the start line who'll offer lifts to lads nearby them. Plus you've got 193 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, 43 seconds to learn how to drive/arrange to get there ;)

Cheer up guys - at least it's starting in Wicklow next year. Another 8km or so and it would even be 200km long:)

EDIT - maybe we should ask them to start the Ring Of Kerry in Dublin next year to make up for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

well it is called the wicklow 200

why should it start in the dublin city ,is there not a dart going to greystones.

no dart or public transport for us country boys, its a hour and twenty mins drive from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

So now I have to not go to Greystones instead of not going to UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Is it just me or is there nowhere near as much climbing as last year? Maybe I'm missing something, but even as a newbie I'm kind of wishing it was a bit tougher.

Just like the TDF over the past 20 years, shorter and easier. This young generation are just not tough enough :rolleyes:

Esroh wrote: »
    Is the real problem with W200 not that its been run by the Vet Assoc.
    These are hardened Knights of the Road who would ride 200km on a 500ml Water bottle and a Banana. This is what they always did
    You can see them thinking the rest of us should HTFU and do it on a few mars bars and a sambo.
    That's called audax and it costs a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

c0rk3r wrote: »
    I know on the weekends there used to be a special dart, no doubt due to demand that ran from connolly station to Dun Laoghaire. Cant the same be done for this one day.

There will be no trains operating at 6am on a Sunday morning.

penexpers wrote: »
    There will be no trains operating at 6am on a Sunday morning.

All aboard the El Tonto Train!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Lumen. I presume I can get a lift from you again next year. This time I will be on time and promise ti actually serve up a tasty nutritious breakfast.

No worries, it's on the entry page
    Oky doky - thanks for that. I reckon I went as far as the page before that but didn't want to sign up without the full information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

tempted. I actually want to do this.

Rules would be no food stops (newsagents for fresh drinks and doughnuts would be allowed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well the route looks boring, might aswell have a decent hammer fest down the N11 for warm up

Signed up regardless, but less than enthusiastic i must admit...still marmotte warm up it is

quite OT, but have most planning on doing that booked stuff for it yet?

Advertisement