Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

uberwolf wrote: »
    tempted. I actually want to do this.

Rules would be no food stops (newsagents for fresh drinks and doughnuts would be allowed)

Planning on hammering it around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Uberwolf. I think many folks here plan on doing and avoiding foodstops.
    I will take a detour to the hippy cafe in Laragh for some good coffee and cake. That will wrong the 192km to the 200.

well the route looks boring, might aswell have a decent hammer fest down the N11 for warm up

Signed up regardless, but less than enthusiastic i must admit...still marmotte warm up it is

quite OT, but have most planning on doing that booked stuff for it yet?

Ah, you've set your sights on the Marmotte?

I'd be happy avoiding most stops except Laragh and probably another one. Definitely not stopping at the Maximuscle stops again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Dónal wrote: »
    Ah, you've set your sights on the Marmotte?
    It does seem to be the trendy thing around here ;)
    I'd be happy avoiding most stops except Laragh and probably another one. Definitely not stopping at the Maximuscle stops again!
    Yeah i'd be happy with a single stop in laragh if its placement was good, though its pretty far out to be planning stops to make :)

there was a maximuscle stop?

there was a maximuscle stop?

Yeah there was one on the right hand side of the road a good bit after Sally Gap well before Lacken. In that town, Kilbride I think? Loads of energy drinks and other stuff, some manky chocolate protein thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Planning on hammering it around?

no - one stop would be fine - just the queue for a crap sambo does nothing for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

UCD was so handy for a bed the night b4. Then just roll down to the start. Anyone got a reccomendation of somewhere too stay close by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well I haven't anyway. I'm hoping that some other marmoteer will do the research and find somewhere brilliant and I can just tag along. Volunteers? Anyone?

Those of us who are aiming for the marmotte should be in good shape for the ww200 so we should get together and really give it the beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hmmm, I actually think I have zero interest in doing the W200 next year. Shame.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... then there's the World Cup clash to consider.

Oops, sorry - I believe it's a bit of a sensitive subject for some of you guys:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hmmm, I actually think I have zero interest in doing the W200 next year. Shame.

With those new Mavics hanging from a new Colnago and the sun shining........ ..............

sy wrote: »
    With those new Mavics hanging from a new Colnago and the sun shining........ ..............

Sy the sun won't be shining. It will be wet and windy just like the last 3 Junes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »
    Sy the sun won't be shining. It will be wet and windy just like the last 3 Junes.

The 2007 and 2008 WW200s were glorious days! Just this years was a poxy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

An interesting "feature" of the W100 route on MapMyRide - when you get to Kilmacanogue you stop under the bridge, climb up onto the bridge, then continue to the left towards the Sugarloaf. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clandog

Hi folks,

Just wondering do the put a cap on the number that can enter the Wicklow 200 event and if so does it sell out.....just wondering how close to the event you can leave it before entering?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Clandog wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering do the put a cap on the number that can enter the Wicklow 200 event and if so does it sell out.....just wondering how close to the event you can leave it before entering?

Thanks

Yes, there's a cap. I can't remember how many. Edit: it was 2000 this year.
    I can remember signing up for it only 2 or 3 weeks beforehand on more than one occasion.
    Best thing to do is to subscribe to the mailing list on www.wicklow200.ie
    That way you'll get lots of warning from the organisers if the event is close to being fully subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clandog

Thanks bbosco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Given that this event is 6 months out, how long do you think this thread will get? I'm thinking it could get up to 30 pages or thereabouts... more if the current vogue for thread merging continues (but I bet the novelty of that superpower will have worn off by then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Given that this event is 6 months out, how long do you think this thread will get? I'm thinking it could get up to 30 pages or thereabouts

Last year's one ran to 63 pages, and I vaguely recall at least one follow-up thread and various other messy shards which wouldn't be tolerated under my new reign of terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Clandog wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thanks

Last time I signed with under 2/3 weeks to go ... got a number way past 2000 ... in the 2300s IIRC. I don' think it has a cap per say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    ...I vaguely recall at least one follow-up thread and various other messy shards which wouldn't be tolerated under my new reign of terror.

You could probably fit the entire forum into ten threads if you tried:

Wicklow 200
    What bike should I buy?
    Look at the bike I bought!
    Cyclist vs. Motorist
    The Marmotte
    Tour de France
    Doping
    Can someone give me a free frame for a fixie?
    Why do I keep getting punctures?
    Cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    You could probably fit the entire forum into ten threads if you tried:

Wicklow 200
    What bike should I buy?
    Look at the bike I bought!
    Cyclist vs. Motorist
    The Marmotte
    Tour de France
    Doping
    Can someone give me a free frame for a fixie?
    Why do I keep getting punctures?
    Cake!

You forgot "Euro Rules"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    You could probably fit the entire forum into ten threads if you tried

Yeah, that has occurred to me.

In all seriousness I'm just trying to be useful, not quash our natural desire to vent or enjoy endlessly repetitive conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Just make sure you enter the Tour of Kilkenny. I did some excellent sportifs this year but the TOK was the clear winner.(Dying cow doesn't count due to numbers involved;)) Excellent organisation and as for the food laid on at the stops...OMG,more fresh sandwiches and cakes than you could shake a stick at. I think any of us that did it came away saying 'now that's how it should be done.'
    mmmmmmm..... missed this one this year - must try and do it next time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yous need to reset your preferences to have more posts per page. I've got mine up to the MAX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

well the route looks boring, might aswell have a decent hammer fest down the N11 for warm up

Signed up regardless, but less than enthusiastic i must admit...still marmotte warm up it is

I'm booked with Tour d'Oisans who do an 8 day package including a 2 day supported practice ride around the route. Think someone else posted up about it too.
    The event sign-on hasn't begun yet but should this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Just want to add to the moaning about Greystones, but more so the route.

Starting in Greystones would have been a good opportunity to move the entire route further south and include new roads, while still keeping the obligatory Shay and/or Slieve Maan climbs in.

Instead we cycle back to Enniskerry and follow pretty much last years route.

If I do it this year (holiday plans permitting) I'll be avoiding the rubbish food stop unless there are tiny queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

lukester wrote: »
    If I do it this year (holiday plans permitting) I'll be avoiding the rubbish food stop unless there are tiny queues.

I think the key to avoiding the queues is to set off as early as possible. This year we rolled out just after 7am and did a reasonable pace to the Donard food stop. Had a 5min queue to get into the hall for the tea & sandwhiches. Spent about 20 mins in there and then came out to find a queue 5-6 times as long as the one I joined and cyclists still streaming in.

If I was doing it next year, I'd be planning to start well before 7am or just skip the food stations altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

For CT owners I created a 3dc file of the W200 so the course can be ridden in your shed :)

W200 CT file

• Advertisement

I wonder wil Funkyzeit man up and don the mankini next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

tunney wrote: »
    For CT owners I created a 3dc file of the W200 so the course can be ridden in your shed :)
    Tunney you seem to spend so much time on your CT that it might be worth connecting up to the national grid and selling your generated electricity. (I assume you have a generator connected to you bike) :) Thanks by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Last years KARE Tour of Kildare 100km from Naas, Ballyknocken etc. was a good teaser for people needing a group cycle before the W200.
    On in 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

What happened to all you guys? Last year's thread was hilarious and very supportive of people like me who were trying the 200k event for the first time.

Yeah - there were big organisational problems last year but Rathdrum seemed to work ok (probably because I was late enough getting there and everyone had already been there). If I had known it wasn't a formal checkpoint and not just a food stop, I would have kept going and rested/eaten at the side of the road earlier.

Going to give it another go this year anyway (entered on Tuesday). Hope to set out good and early and maybe get to the first food stop ahead of all those who'll be flying past me on Sliabh Mann.

Some more time in the hills mightn't do me any harm either. Anyone any suggestions as to some warm up events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

What happened to all you guys?
    I have nothing against the WW200, I just preferred the smaller (and shorter) events I did last year. I'd encourage anyone who is vaguely interested to do it and knock it off the list things to do on a bike before you die. Sure I'll probably relent at the last minute and do it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

What happened to all you guys? Last year's thread was hilarious and very supportive of people like me who were trying the 200k event for the first time.
    That was just to sucker youse all into doing it, and it worked ! I wouldn't worry about it - WW200 is the biggest and best known event, so most of the people moaning about it will probably do it anyway, just because it's there. I've my entry in. Initially people thought everyone had to queue up and check in with your number, but as it's turned out just to be a queue for grub, I would suggest just make yourself a sandwich and stick it in your pocket along with a few bars, make sure you drink enough, and you'll be grand. There are plenty of shops on the route if anyone needs them.

• Advertisement

The more I think about it, the worst thing about any sportif is the food stops. I find it very difficult to stop for just 5 mins, and consequently find the immediate hour after a foodstop very very tough.

Going to try doing every event next year with minimal stopping.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The more I think about it, the worst thing about any sportif is the food stops. I find it very difficult to stop for just 5 mins, and consequently find the immediate hour after a foodstop very very tough.

I keep my stops as short as possible, it's a right pain in the gary if you stop for too long and then have a climb or a head wind after it. The last sportive I did, An Post Rebel Tour, I went non-stop and I don't think my riding time was compromised too much, where as the SK, I think it's nice to get out of the saddle for 5. P.S. you're not the slowest climber on boards, that's my title.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I agree totally. If I could get a support car to hand bottles out the window to me I would probably never stop.

Don't get me wrong, I like stopping for the social aspect and getting to drool over the Kerry rose, but getting back on the bike is almost torture. I actually felt like crap for about an hour after the first food stop on the ring of kerry.

Once you get into a good rhythm, it's nice to keep it going. W200 did not help this at all as quick stops were pretty much impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Once you get into a good rhythm, it's nice to keep it going. W200 did not help this at all as quick stops were pretty much impossible.

Couldn't agree more. On the SK I arrived at the first food stop,took one look at the amount of people there, turned on my heels and kept going. Next stop wasn't busy so got some pasta into me,a quick chat and was back on the bike within 20 minutes. No tough miles trying to get back into it like I had on the WW200.

If I'm going to use any of the official food stops on the 200 this year I'd want to hit them early to minimise time off the bike,so no faffing around at the start and setting off late.Like the SK I wouldn't rule out bypassing the first stop completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

If I'm going to use any of the official food stops on the 200 this year I'd want to hit them early to minimise time off the bike,so no faffing around at the start and setting off late.

Last year we left really early, and as a result I got to the Donard stop just as it opened (was the third person there I think). Given what I heard about what it turned into was planning on doing the same again this year, until Greystones made an early start near impossible :) Thinking about skipping Donard and just very briefly stopping at Rathdrum for a water refill + sandwich this year, keep the rhythm going as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

im sure there would should be no problem to get a few support cars along the route.
    glenmalure lodge would make a ideal stop.

i done the SK 100k with out getting off the bike ,but that was more to do with the horrible day.

stopping for a half hour is grand if you have a warm sunny day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have just submitted my entry! Really looking forward to it, it will be great over the next few months training to have something to work towards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Lumen wrote: »
    It's about beating people who aren't competing with you.

hmmmm that sounds like commuter racing !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Last years KARE Tour of Kildare 100km from Naas, Ballyknocken etc. was a good teaser for people needing a group cycle before the W200.
    On in 2010?
    http://www.karetourdefoothills.com/#/the-event/4532562190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barrym91

That Kare cycle looks like a good practise for the WW200. Cycled Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot last weekend. I forgot how difficult they are after a few kilometres in the legs!

Are there many steep climbs on the KARE. Does anyone know what the total amount of climbing for it is?

barrym91 wrote: »
    That Kare cycle looks like a good practise for the WW200. Cycled Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot last weekend. I forgot how difficult they are after a few kilometres in the legs!

Are there many steep climbs on the KARE. Does anyone know what the total amount of climbing for it is?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/naas/544126860862592780

Only hills are around the Blessington Lakes and Hollywood, a few other drags on the way back to Naas, but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 barrym91

Thanks Haldir. I need to get used to riding in groups. I cycled the WW200 at the back all on my own last year. Was a long day :eek:

Barrym91, you should also consider a few other events in the lead up to the W200 eg Orwell Randonee Sun 25th April, Siabh Bloom Challenge (Carlow) Sun 2nd May, Mount Leinster Challenge Sun 15 May, Humpy Hundred (Carlow) Sun 16th May, Carlow 150 Sun 30th May and the Swords Leisure Tour on Sun 6th June. Did most of them last year before my first W200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

do you need a license for those events?

If you don't have a Cycling Ireland Licence you can pay for a one day licence on the day, usually €10. Far cheaper to get the Cycling Ireland Licence if you are going to do a few of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement