Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

When do you usually get your sign in details and numbers or has anybody got them yet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For those of you intending to ride this but not having registered yet, entries close on 17 May (not sure how strictly they enforce this). Details on how to enter here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

been doing nothing but hills for the past 3 months. i am the hill master :)

the fact that i live in the mountains surrounded by hills helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

So how many boards are going to give this a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

mise anseo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I am. First time so will be happy just to finish.

At the moment I'm up to 70k at the weekend (mostly up in the hills) with one 100k spin, plus around a 100k a week commuting.

I planning to start doing another 50k midweek spin in the evenings to clock up some more miles but I still can't help feeling pretty unprepared :eek:

Unionman (from this here Forum) has been very kind over the last few months - giving me advice, encouraging me up into the hills and not laughing at how woeful I am on descents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

If I'm not still a tendinitis sufferer, I'll be there for theh 200km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'd been building up to this, but am struggling with an injury at the moment. My training is up around the 140km mark, taking in the Sally gap and a couple of other climbs. However I'm out of action at the moment, and I'll probably be only be back on the bike a week or two before the WW200 - so seeing it's my first attempt at anything like this - I reckon I'll be doing the 100 on the day, and look at getting back training properly and injury free and build up to a 200 later in the summer.

I'm in for the 200 as well.

joker77 wrote: »
    My training is up around the 140km mark, taking in the Sally Gap and a couple of other climbs.

140k! I'm way behind so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm in (first time) and at the 140k mark also. Next week is the fun one where I squeeze in the 3 main climbs - SG, Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot into a single spin.

daragh_ wrote: »
    140k! I'm way behind so.
    I've no experience so I'm prob not one to be taking advice from / comparing against! Plus I'm now injured.... maybe because I've been over-doing the training, dunno

joker77 wrote: »
    I've no experience so I'm prob not one to be taking advice from / comparing against! Plus I'm now injured.... maybe because I've been over-doing the training, dunno

My original plan had me doing a regular 100k at this stage with a push up to 140/150k in early june followed by a rest the week before the W200. Sadly 'real life' keeps getting in the way and it's a battle to get out for more than 3 or 4 hours at the weekends. Think I'm going to have to start getting up at 5am to get miles in :)

Blowfish wrote: »
    I'm in (first time) and at the 140k mark also. Next week is the fun one where I squeeze in the 3 main climbs - SG, Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot into a single spin.

very same as myself. 140km last saturday and this week planning on the 3 biggies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had never done over 100km in one go before I did the 200. I got around fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm in 2 minds myself. I did just short of 140 last weekend and it hurt and training has been Brutal this year. This weekend looks like being very nice so I'm thinking of doing a similar one this weekend....but maybe I should up the ante a little bit? Anyway, if I get anohter 140 in this weekend and a bit more next weekend I'll be happy with the 200. Otherwise, it will be a hammerfest 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

I had planned on doing the w200 but after completing the M3 spin in 3hrs 36 min and feeling **** at about 85km, i think i will drop down to the 100km. Training not going great so dont think i will be able for the w200.
    Cant get to the mountains for training and not sure how steep the climbs are.
    Any help, suggestions would be great
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If I can get to Dublin that w/e I will probably do my own version of the 200. Starting Stocking Lane. Naturally I wo t rely on the foodstops etc provided by the official one.
    I plan a cake stop at the hippy cafe in Lauragh after SM and SE.

blorg wrote: »
    I had never done over 100km in one go before I did the 200. I got around fine.

That's encouraging. Thanks Blorg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

DeviantD wrote: »
    I had planned on doing the w200 but after completing the M3 spin in 3hrs 36 min and feeling **** at about 85km, i think i will drop down to the 100km. Training not going great so dont think i will be able for the w200.
    Cant get to the mountains for training and not sure how steep the climbs are.
    Any help, suggestions would be great
    D

The W200 is a horse of a different colour, the M3 cycle was a real hammerfest, the W200 will have tough hills but also have moments of respite. Last year I had planned to do the 200 but at the last minute where the 100 and 200 split I went with the 100 and still regret it. I know the 200 will be a long day out but I am sure you are well able for it.

I also felt bad at the 85k mark on Sunday and realised it was down to lack of nutrition, took and energy gel and bounced back for the last 20k.

The W200 is a horse of a different colour, the M3 cycle was a real hammerfest, the W200 will have tough hills but also have moments of respite. Last year I had planned to do the 200 but at the last minute where the 100 and 200 split I went with the 100 and still regret it. I know the 200 will be a long day out but I am sure you are well able for it.
    I was the same on my first one in 2007, not sure whether to do the 100 or the 200, decided at the split to turn right and do the 200km. Tough day but I certainly don't regret it.

Key with the W200 is pacing yourself on the climbs and not putting in too much effort early on. There are thousands of cyclists doing it and the whole thing splits up entirely. No matter where you are there will be cyclists faster than you and cyclists slower than you. Just climb at your own pace and don't be tempted to kill yourself, it is a long day.

Any of you who are knocking out 100km+ should be fine, the spirit of the day will carry you through. 3h36 is a perfectly respectable time for 100km, I'd say anything from around the 4 hour mark on a flat course and you are in good shape.

Cheers for the helpful post there blorg - lifts my spirits a bit

Just have to shake off the injury fully

Thanks highway & blorg,
    That is exactly what happened to me on Sunday, the lack of nutrition was making me feel realy sick and slowed the pace right down.
    As some of you have done the w200 before what way will you be eating on cycle and during at the rest stops?

I had porridge in the morning on sunday and some gel and bananas but i feel i needed more energy.
    can you recommend some bars or other foods please.
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

For all those wondering whether to do the 200 or 100 because of lack of training etc, it is amazing what the excitment, adrenaline etc of the day does.
    Being stuck on your own, or possibly a group of 3 or 4 on a normal weekend cycle can be a hard slog, but being surrounded by 2500 on the day makes things really different. All the different types of people, bikes etc make the whole day enjoyable (except of course for all the pain!!!)

There is little time when you will be entirely by yourslef, either someone will be pulling away or coming back to you. You will find a group that will help you along at different points, and on the parts you feel good you can help others.

The 1st time I did, the longest cycle I had done was 100k the week before, and was totally exhaused by it. Won't pretend the 200 was easy but it was easier than I had expected. Got into a decent group on the way back and let them do all the work:D.

In the end, you are going into the hills of Wicklow, not the Alps, so even if you do bonk you are not far from civilisation so it's not exactly an Sahara expedition.

The W200 is meant to be a challenge, not something you should be doing on a weekly basis. It's an occassion, where with 2500 others and supported you can do something you wouldn't normally even comptemplate.

You've probably already done a 100, so where's the achievement in doing another. Doing 124 miles in one day, not thats pretty awesome. Throw in some hills just for sh1ts and giggles and you're all set for an epic.

You can then go home and bore the pants of everybody with your amazing tales of endurance and daring do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On deviants point, food is a really personal thing, and only trying it will let you know.

Gels etc are clearly the most efficient way of getting the energy in, but they don't suit everybody (certainly I can't stand them) and there is only so much of the stuff you can handle. I find that I have to also eat some solid food.

The foodstops have sandwiches, bananas etc which are great. I'm sure the gels give more bang but getting something solid helps settle the stomoach.

Any advice given here will be based on what works for each person, and may not work for another. Go out an get a few different products and try them out on the next cycle. The main thing is to make sure that whatever you chosse it works for you, not based on what the label says it can do.

The day of the W200 is not the time to be trying things for the 1st time. It puts such a strain on your body that even little irritations which in normal activity wouldn't cause a problem can become major issues.

• Advertisement

I have no affiliation to the club but Sorrento CC are running the Mick Byrne randonee, there is a 100km and a 160km option that might be a good training run for the 13th June.

here is a link to their website

http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/audax/mick-byrne-randonee-2010/

I think their 200km outing is a tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When people use words like "challenge" rather than "fun", what they're really saying is "you will enjoy this only in retrospect".

Anyone who has cycled 100km with some hills can cycle 200km. It's just that the second half will likely be quite physically unpleasant.

The two routes start together, and after a short distance separate. So in theory you can leave the decision quite late. But I think it's best to just decide well in advance that, regardless of training, you'll do the 200. That relieves a great burden.

Also, I think it is best to turn off all bike computers, ignore any information about the route and forget about pacing. The event will start, then at some point it'll stop. As long as you have enough food and don't forget to eat you'll get round eventually.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    For all those wondering whether to do the 200 or 100 because of lack of training etc, it is amazing what the excitment, adrenaline etc of the day does.
    Being stuck on your own, or possibly a group of 3 or 4 on a normal weekend cycle can be a hard slog, but being surrounded by 2500 on the day makes things really different. All the different types of people, bikes etc make the whole day enjoyable (except of course for all the pain!!!)

There is little time when you will be entirely by yourslef, either someone will be pulling away or coming back to you. You will find a group that will help you along at different points, and on the parts you feel good you can help others.

The 1st time I did, the longest cycle I had done was 100k the week before, and was totally exhaused by it. Won't pretend the 200 was easy but it was easier than I had expected. Got into a decent group on the way back and let them do all the work:D.

In the end, you are going into the hills of Wicklow, not the Alps, so even if you do bonk you are not far from civilisation so it's not exactly an Sahara expedition.

The W200 is meant to be a challenge, not something you should be doing on a weekly basis. It's an occassion, where with 2500 others and supported you can do something you wouldn't normally even comptemplate.

You've probably already done a 100, so where's the achievement in doing another. Doing 124 miles in one day, not thats pretty awesome. Throw in some hills just for sh1ts and giggles and you're all set for an epic.

You can then go home and bore the pants of everybody with your amazing tales of endurance and daring do.

Thanks for the comments Leroy, i love the line "Throw in some hills just for sh1ts and giggles and you're all set for an epic.".

It makes it an easier decision now that i now there will be others struggling along the way. I do agree that being in a group really does help you along the way so going to try latch on to the back of a group on the day and see how i get along.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    W200 it is then, no left in kilmacanogue.

I think their 200km outing is a tough one.
    The Mick Byrne 200 is tougher than the Wicklow 200 in my opinion and that of many others. Good event though.

blorg wrote: »
    The Mick Byrne 200 is tougher than the Wicklow 200 in my opinion and that of many others. Good event though.

Do you know if the 100/160 events are well run? not overly worried about food stops but would like decent marshalling at junctions and good road signage. I presume the numbers would be small enough for this and get spread out very quickly (don't want to get too lost). The start/finish is on my doorstep and I was thinking of doing th 160KM route, it would be my first attemt at the imperial 100 distance.

• Advertisement

Food on the Mick Byrne is very good.

I don't think there is marshalling on the junctions IIRC. I got a puncture at 65km last time I did it (2 years ago) and so had to do the rest by myself.

Although it IS an Audax event (many Audax events are completely unsigned) I think there was good signage/road painting. There is a comprehensive route sheet.

Entry is very good value @ €15.

Garmin ran out before the end- it is a full 200km. Profile:

MickByrne200Elevation.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have been commuting by bike ever since I started work 17 years ago but I never took it up recreationally. I have always been a bit 'competitive' on my daily commutes and tend to push myself a bit. I have recently started going out for longer spins on the weekends and took my hybrid about 60 km with a friend in the Wicklow Mountains on Sunday morning (Stepaside-Enniskerry-almost Roundwood-Sallygap-Military Road-Glencullen-Stepaside). I found the hills fine but I had gears you could climb a cliff with (28-32!).

I have just ordered a road bike with a compact chainset. Am I likely to find the hills a lot harder now that Granny has taken her ring back? Would I have any chance of doing the Wicklow 100 and being back in time to get to Croker for the Dubs match that afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have just ordered a road bike with a compact chainset. Am I likely to find the hills a lot harder now that Granny has taken her ring back? Would I have any chance of doing the Wicklow 100 and being back in time to get to Croker for the Dubs match that afternoon!

The Wicklow 100 is quite flat.

I really should do more research. When I think 'Wicklow', 'flat' isn't the first word to enter my head.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

DeviantD wrote: »
    Thanks highway & blorg,
    That is exactly what happened to me on Sunday, the lack of nutrition was making me feel realy sick and slowed the pace right down.
    As some of you have done the w200 before what way will you be eating on cycle and during at the rest stops?

I had porridge in the morning on sunday and some gel and bananas but i feel i needed more energy.
    can you recommend some bars or other foods please.
    D

What works for me is to make sure that I eat plenty of food the night before W200.
    I make sure to eat a lot of pasta based dishes and plenty of veggies.

On the morning of the W200, I normally have a couple of eggs with toast and honey and tea.
    I make sure to bring with me fig rolls, natures way energy bars and perhaps an apple.
    Fluid intake is more important in my book.
    Plenty of water mixed with High5 works for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yes - 100k, setting off at around 7, you should be OK (assuming you are not then cycling back to Dublin!).

I would have thought with reasonable fitness you should be able to do the 100 in less than 5 hours

Would I have any chance of doing the Wicklow 100 and being back in time to get to Croker for the Dubs match that afternoon!

you can start quite early 6:30/7:00am (I think) and you should get the 100 route finished in 5 hrs with food stops.

That sounds about right. It took about 3.5 hours to do the hilly 60k on a hybrid, although we were chatting for a lot of it (apart from the bigger climbs and the faster downhill bits). With a 7 am start on a road bike and a flatter course, I should be back in the car for noon so. Now I just have to see if the missus is happy for me to disappear for the whole day.

Good luck to the 200k posse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Also factor in the extra half hour Dubs fans get to make it to Croke Park. So you'll have plenty of time.

I had forgotten that. I'll have time for one outside Gaffneys so. I will make sure to stand well out on the road. :)

Anyway, if you see some eejit in a Dubs jersey and a suspiciously new looking bike on 13 June, do say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

signed up for the 100 gonna attempt on a mostly locked out full suspension XC with these 2.2 tyres http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3244

can't afford another set unfortunately

doable? I'm fairly fit, tho longest cycle I've ever done is 50k but raced it in just over two hours, thinking with food and rests 5 to 6 hours for the 100km?

signed up for the 100 gonna attempt on a mostly locked out full suspension XC with these 2.2 tyres http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3244

can't afford another set unfortunately

doable? I'm fairly fit, tho longest cycle I've ever done is 50k but raced it in just over two hours, thinking with food and rests 5 to 6 hours for the 100km?

You'll be grand. In terms of bike, I've no doubt someone will do the WW200 on a dublin bike this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

You already have those tyres? If you don't, I'd suggest getting something more road specific, hard and narrow as possible really (I'm assuming that you already have proper off-road tyre). Thread of any type will not be need on the W100. These or these would be faster, though you'll still be at a big disadvantage to the roadie due to weight and position etc.

You'll be fine, and that bike is likely to be the far from the most inappropriate there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Do you know if the 100/160 events are well run? not overly worried about food stops but would like decent marshalling at junctions and good road signage. I presume the numbers would be small enough for this and get spread out very quickly (don't want to get too lost). The start/finish is on my doorstep and I was thinking of doing th 160KM route, it would be my first attemt at the imperial 100 distance.

Did the 160 last year You are right numbers are small ,great food stops , no marshals but VERY GOOD yellow road markings at ALL junctions ... Sorrento certainly know how to run these events most enjoyable day out, tough enough in fairness and quite pacey , managed to stay with group until Glenmacnass then finished with a guy from Orwell. Certainly would recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Also factor in the extra half hour Dubs fans get to make it to Croke Park. So you'll have plenty of time.
    Miaow!! Saucer of milk.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

I should be in for the 200, although I felt pretty bad after a 140 last weekend-I'm hoping it was just because I didn't bring enough to drink. As mentioned above, fluid intake is critical preferably with electrolytes included. I find Nuun very good, and easy to drink, it's not "sticky" like High 5. If you don't start out with enough pre-mixed drink you should bring some extra powder or tablets so you can mix up extra on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

In for the 200KM. Just signed up today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

@joker77 If you're at 140km then 200km on the day should be very doable,especially if you've been over some of the bigger climbs. The first time I tried the 100km, I had done 70km up and down Howth a few times. I did a bit of a hybrid course - Sally gap and then back to the Laragh for the remainder of the 200.

Last year longest training run I managed was 120 (Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap). I tried the 200km and found it tough (like its supposed to be, I imagine) but mainly because I was down of food, having had food poisoning most of the week beforehand. Had a bit of a mini-bonk before Rathdrum but recovered ok in the end.

Hope injuries all sorted before the day

@joker77 If you're at 140km then 200km on the day should be very doable,especially if you've been over some of the bigger climbs. The first time I tried the 100km, I had done 70km up and down Howth a few times. I did a bit of a hybrid course - Sally gap and then back to the Laragh for the remainder of the 200.

Last year longest training run I managed was 120 (Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap). I tried the 200km and found it tough (like its supposed to be, I imagine) but mainly because I was down of food, having had food poisoning most of the week beforehand. Had a bit of a mini-bonk before Rathdrum but recovered ok in the end.

Hope injuries all sorted before the day
    Cheers - great to hear something like that. I'm hoping if the injury clears up I'll be alright on the day. I was out last Sat though and had to stop 10mins in and turn back home, really disheartening training for a couple of months and to get an little injury so close - I was well up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Dónal wrote: »
    You'll be grand. In terms of bike, I've no doubt someone will do the WW200 on a dublin bike this year :)

Do you reckon? that would be something worth seeing....

Advertisement