Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi, I've tried to transcribe the route here (may still be saving) http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=134004
    Think it's basically right apart from the start and finish in Greystones (if anyone has a better draft please share).

It's not _that_ hilly, I've already done the same total altitude a few times.
    But it does goes on and on. And on and on...
    Just my perspective - I'll probably live to rue this post when walking up Slieve Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Cheers Last Gap, I knew those links already, but have a nerdy preference to bikeroutetoaster over mapmyride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Unfortunately I am being shipped off to China for 3 months by my company....grrr, as a result I won't be able to do the WW200. I have already entered but haven't received my tags/number etc. yet.
    So if anyone wants an entry pm me your name & address and I'll get the missus to post it off when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Did this yesterday, thinking the climbs and relative flat after the kipure descent would be good for me

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/377127531462094773

my longest cycle to date on a fully locked out full suspension... prep wise for the w100 is this reasonable? I felt fine after, just hungry and my knees a little sore, probably get another longish spin like this in and few shorter ones in before the day... wishing i had a road bike but feel it'd be a good achievement on this and helping me build up my strength on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

lafors wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am being shipped off to China for 3 months by my company....grrr, as a result I won't be able to do the WW200. I have already entered but haven't received my tags/number etc. yet.
    So if anyone wants an entry pm me your name & address and I'll get the missus to post it off when it arrives.

Its taken now, gimmeaminute is taking it.
    Work cancelled my China trip on Friday but I'm not fit enough to do it now seeing as I stopped training for it when I found out i was going :(
    At least the ROK and Etape Hibernia are back on the cards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Did this yesterday, thinking the climbs and relative flat after the kipure descent would be good for me

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/377127531462094773

my longest cycle to date on a fully locked out full suspension... prep wise for the w100 is this reasonable? I felt fine after, just hungry and my knees a little sore, probably get another longish spin like this in and few shorter ones in before the day... wishing i had a road bike but feel it'd be a good achievement on this and helping me build up my strength on it

If you can do that, you can do the 100, no problem. Keep up the mileage until next weekend and then take it easier for the week coming up to the w100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

My entry pack arrived today and I'm number 8, my lowest number in any sportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

My pack arrived too!

Are 1-10 boardsies again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is anyone doing an "unofficial 200"? i.e. stop for food elsewhere along the route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is anyone doing an "unofficial 200"? i.e. stop for food elsewhere along the route?

I may. But will depend on SWIMBO.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I may. But will depend on SWIMBO.

Excellent. I'm hoping that either you, Blorg or someone else might be able to select 2 or 3 stops that are decent quality.

I think a proper stop at the Hippy Cafe is mandatory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah. Fancy meeting it going up the Sugar Loaf and doing a bit of a spin, not necessarily the 200.

...........maybe knock off at Laragh on the way back and have a six course meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Got mine. No.11.

Just add 3 to calculate the amount of hours it will take me to get round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Got out on the bike this evening for the first time really in nearly a month. Felt great to be back out, just up to Enniskerry and back, 28kms in an hour.
    Calf / knee is still not right, so will definitely be doing the 100 rather than the 200 - but still looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If I was to do it unofficially I think that one of two things might be observed
    1. Do a slightly different route (Dublin start not Greystones).
    2. Maybe a different day?

I was sort of thinking of avoiding the scrum that is Crone Wood to Liam Horner and instead approach from Kilakee.
    Food stops,
    Somewhere in Hollywood for Water/light refreshment.
    Lauragh for cake and coffee to fuel us up for the drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Got mine - 6 (or maybe 9:))

Hopefully that's not the number of hours I'm expected to do it in.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jawgap wrote: »
    Got mine - 6 (or maybe 9:))

Hopefully that's not the number of hours I'm expected to do it in.....

It certainly is:
    Second, complete the Wicklow 200 in less than 7 hours....

Unfortunately unless that Icelandic volcano bursts back into life between now and the 13th, I'll be heading off to Miami for a "business" trip while you lot are grinding your way up various climbs in Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Got mine today as well #179

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I got 5 and 6 - unfortunately together. Still 56 is my lowest ever number in one of these. Will have to be more awake/bored at work next time. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I'd be up for joining a group to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I might be too. The trek to Greystones is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

492!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

1836!

The number of metres into the WW200 before I start to regret signing up for the pain?

On a serious note, what's the best time for a WW200 virgin to hit the road?
    Do the majority leave en masse at 7, and is that where you want to be if you're looking for groups to help you around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

1836!

The number of metres into the WW200 before I start to regret signing up for the pain?

On a serious note, what's the best time for a WW200 virgin to hit the road?
    Do the majority leave en masse at 7, and is that where you want to be if you're looking for groups to help you around?

7 or so, i.e. earlier the better would be best for a first timer imo. you'll in all likely hood loose a lot of the groups around you but get dragged along for a few km by different clubs/groups as they past, can really break it up/give you a speed boost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My WW200 entry is still available if anyone wants it (preferably collection from Clonsilla or Dublin 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

daragh_ wrote: »
    Got mine. No.11.

Just add 3 to calculate the amount of hours it will take me to get round.
    Damn, by this reckoning it'll take me 1765 hrs to do it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Number 2 for me.

And no, I won't be doing it in 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    My WW200 entry is still available if anyone wants it (preferably collection from Clonsilla or Dublin 2).

Still have it? I would take it off your hands if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Yeah might do that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am 902

i think its a reasonable assumption that this is the amount of minutes they expect me to get it done in :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

I might cycle to start and do majority of route, branching off at the point where getting home makes it 200km. Do my own food stops too.

Or someone could just organise a boards 200 route if its so porrly organised at WW200? (not me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

42 - the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am 902

i think its a reasonable assumption that this is the amount of minutes they expect me to get it done in :o

They must not think much of me then - 1197.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    They must not think much of me then - 1197.

I get the impression that they are giving a different timescale for everyone so no one gets too egotistical or insulted and is also therefore more adaptable to how you feel on the day. I presume 1197 is in "centi-hours". So they expext you'll do better than me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lack of a Rack (plus wife needing the car) means I'll be cycling from Dun Laoghaire to Greystones that AM. Was thinking of leaving about 6. How long does registration normally take? Should I head off earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Pack arrived in the post today. No. 2137

BTW, Quote from back of the leaflet, and I kid you not :D

"Remember that 2000 other rides will be trying to check in too, so allow extra time."

It's just a cycle around Wicklow right? Or is there something else going on we should know about?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

jimm wrote: »
    Pack arrived in the post today. No. 2137

BTW, Quote from back of the leaflet, and I kid you not :D

"Remember that 2000 other rides will be trying to check in too, so allow extra time."

It's just a cycle around Wicklow right? Or is there something else going on we should know about?:D

Eh I dunno if anyone knows this shoreline place but its tiny compared to UCD I can see mayhem before it even starts.....

Beyond me why they cant have registration on saturday evening for a couple of hours like every other big event ran throughout the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Getting pretty excited about this now...Complete newbie with 3 months training under my belt (2200km).

The only climb of note i've complete is the sally gap from the eastern side, made it over without stopping but found it quite tough. Hows my gearing? Suitable for hilly terain?

CASSETTE
    Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t

CHAINRINGS
    53 x 39T

I can stay in saddle on most climbs but when it gets quite steep I gotta stand and find it saps alot of energy (would prefer to stay seated).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Arthur,

I think a compact setup 50/34 would be a better option for you on the w200. You've good training mileage done already but it's a big day out and there are two long hills in the 2nd 100k.

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Getting pretty excited about this now...Complete newbie with 3 months training under my belt (2200km).

The only climb of note i've complete is the sally gap from the eastern side, made it over without stopping but found it quite tough. Hows my gearing? Suitable for hilly terain?

CASSETTE
    Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t

CHAINRINGS
    53 x 39T

I can stay in saddle on most climbs but when it gets quite steep I gotta stand and find it saps alot of energy (would prefer to stay seated).

yeah 12 - 27 is perfect and yeah staying seated is the best maybe just get out of the saddle for short 10 - 15 second bursts just ease stress on your back......

53 39 will be tough enough but set a steady pace and stick with it in 39 27 you will be fine

Pretty much clueless with regards to the gearing, its only when I'm down wicklow hills I need to stand out of the saddle! Heading down there tomorrow and will try get 120km in including the sally gap.

Stuck with that gearing now so just gotta suck it up, roll on Wicklow 200!!!

I think you will find it tough, no doubt. 39-27 is way too much for sportive riding. It saps a lot of energy.

Try and eat/drink a little and often, you really need to keep your energy levels up as the guys riding on compacts or just really powerful/fit guys who can spin in big gears will be using less energy (or have more energy).

My advice would be don't go crazy on the flats, don't get into a race with anyone and try to take it handy, as in "man this feels easy, I feel fresh!", until you reach Slieve Mann (I think it's around the 120km mark). It's better to find you have too much left and go hard for the last 30-40km rather than feel you have blown up and be left struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

This will be my 4th W200, all done with 53/39 12/25 gearing, I'll meet you Arthur at Slieve Mann and we'll sweat and grind our way to the top:D

Deal lescol, ill be the guy with a beetroot coloured face dripping from every pore!!!

up the 53 39ers sure arent we gunna go faster downhill aswell eh ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

225 for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I think you will find it tough, no doubt. 39-27 is way too much for sportive riding. It saps a lot of energy.

Try and eat/drink a little and often, you really need to keep your energy levels up as the guys riding on compacts or just really powerful/fit guys who can spin in big gears will be using less energy (or have more energy).

My advice would be don't go crazy on the flats, don't get into a race with anyone and try to take it handy, as in "man this feels easy, I feel fresh!", until you reach Slieve Mann (I think it's around the 120km mark). It's better to find you have too much left and go hard for the last 30-40km rather than feel you have blown up and be left struggling.

39-27 is grand! It's only marginally tougher than 34-25 which is what most will have on a compact setup.

Arthur, if you can get over Sally Gap you'll be fine for the rest of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement