Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow 200 - 13th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

chakattack wrote: »
    39-27 is grand! It's only marginally tougher than 34-25 which is what most will have on a compact setup.

Arthur, if you can get over Sally Gap you'll be fine for the rest of it.

It's closer to 34-23 than it is to 34-25, I know which I would prefer to have going around wicklow. Sometimes marginal can be the difference between the red line and "all day pace"

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

Just wondering whats the furthest people have gone in training. I'm probably looking at about 9 hours on the day but my longest is only 85 mile. I know its too late to do anything about it now but just curious about others training...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

I'm in the same boat as you Mattym. Did the Boards Saturday spin a few weeks back and clocked in just over 85K but thats the most I have ever completed in 1 day. I was fine after it and felt I had a bit more in the tank. Cycling in a group helps allot to keep you motivated. I commute 20K every day and try to get in at least 50K to 80K over the weekend so I feel fairly confident that I can take this on next week. I am going to attempt the 200 this year, watch out for number 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

I think 70-75% of the distance beforehand is grand. I wouldn't be happy with any lower than 50%. 85 miles is grand. 85k is a bit too low to be comfortable on the day. It doesn't mean you can't do it, though. The brother did a 160k cycle after not having cycled at all for over a year and never having gone any further than 50k. He's still cursing me for it now though! I told him he'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

rughdh wrote: »
    I think 70-75% of the distance beforehand is grand. I wouldn't be happy with any lower than 50%. 85 miles is grand. 85k is a bit too low to be comfortable on the day. It doesn't mean you can't do it, though. The brother did a 160k cycle after not having cycled at all for over a year and never having gone any further than 50k. He's still cursing me for it now though! I told him he'd be grand.

I agree. My unwritten rule (not anymore i guess) with advice for friends is if you can do 60% in training you can do the whole thing on the day.

I still think it makes sense to save your legs for later in the day on the W200, you see a lot of people going mental up the sally gap. It's probably the toughest climb of the day, but it's only the first climb of the day (well, not sure of actual route from greystones this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Anyone know what time the 100k kicks off at in Greystones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I still think it makes sense to save your legs for later in the day on the W200, you see a lot of people going mental up the sally gap. It's probably the toughest climb of the day, but it's only the first climb of the day (well, not sure of actual route from greystones this year).
    I'm not sure it is the toughest though, the route they've picked for SG is one of the easiest ones.

I'd agree with you about taking it easy on it though.

If you ask me I'd say the toughest part for most will be the climb out of Avoca. It's basically the equivalent of Howth, but with 150k+ on your legs it'll be tough, added to that most people don't really know it's even there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Blowfish wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is the toughest though, the route they've picked for SG is one of the easiest ones.

I'd agree with you about taking it easy on it though.

If you ask me I'd say the toughest part for most will be the climb out of Avoca. It's basically the equivalent of Howth, but with 150k+ on your legs it'll be tough, added to that most people don't really know it's even there.

Howth out of the village or the other way? :) A few people have said that to me and will be doing my best to save 'something' for it.

Went up the Sally Gap via that route this morning and it was much easier than my usual route (Stocking Lane etc). Although I really really really hope it doesn't rain like this next week.

shamwari wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the 100k kicks off at in Greystones?

Same time as the 200 AFAIK. Registration from 6. Leave from 7 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

daragh_ wrote: »
    Howth out of the village or the other way? :) A few people have said that to me and will be doing my best to save 'something' for it.
    Somewhere between the two, it's roughly the same amount of climing as Howth, but isn't quite as consistantly steep as the Village side and isn't broken up as much as the other side. Profile is here. It'll definitely be worth keeping a gel/bar for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I agree. My unwritten rule (not anymore i guess) with advice for friends is if you can do 60% in training you can do the whole thing on the day.

I still think it makes sense to save your legs for later in the day on the W200, you see a lot of people going mental up the sally gap.

Agree 100%. What I'd say to new cyclists is make use of the shelter in a pack and save as much as possible as when you hit the hills your on your own. There isn't much shelter at 15km going up a hill...

Relax on the climb up the gap, leave people to go mental on it and save it as you'll need it later in the trip. Around Blessington lakes and up to Hollywood may catch a lot of people out as well. Constant hills and some can be difficult enough if not very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi, as I'm allergic in equal parts to queues and getting up early, any idea of the consequences of failing to check in at the start?
    Obviously my time wouldn't be published (probably no bad thing), any idea if I would be denied access to the food stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

daragh_ wrote: »
    Same time as the 200 AFAIK. Registration from 6. Leave from 7 onwards.
    Great, thanks! Do you have to go bang on 7am, or can you delay it by a half hour or so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

souter wrote: »
    Hi, as I'm allergic in equal parts to queues and getting up early, any idea of the consequences of failing to check in at the start?
    Obviously my time wouldn't be published (probably no bad thing), any idea if I would be denied access to the food stops?

Once you have the number you got in the post you should be fine, AFAIK registration is only for times to my knowledge, the card and the number should get you your bite to eat. Also if your the last person alo0ng then they may have packed up as they won't be expecting you. I could be completely wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume its not a massed start of 2000+ riders at 7am?

the timings on the website for previous years seem to indicate a staggered start with people leaving as they show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭jimmyjacob

What's the general feeling about an unregistered rider jumping into the 200?

I live in Greystones and it would be a shame to miss out on it, but I was too late off the bat to get an entry. I know I'd have to be independent in terms of refreshments etc. But if it was deemed acceptable, it would be nice to soak up the atmosphere of the event but feel able to bail out at any point with pride intact, saying that was my plan all along :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

jimmyjacob wrote: »

I live in Greystones and it would be a shame to miss out on it, but I was too late off the bat to get an entry. I know I'd have to be independent in terms of refreshments etc. But if it was deemed acceptable, it would be nice to soak up the atmosphere of the event but feel able to bail out at any point with pride intact, saying that was my plan all along :D

A reasonable amount of people do this. I would just stay well clear of official stops (maybe stop the village before or after). Once you dont partatke of the hospitality that other riders pay for, there is nothing at all stopping you enjoying your day.

Thanks. Will do that. Good to know I won't be looked on as a cycling pariah or a leech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

jimmyjacob wrote: »

Despite what they say every year, as far as I'm aware, they always seem to take extra entries on the morning - possibly a surcharge though not totally sure. Depends whether you want to be "official" or not.

Thanks Greyspoke. Will check that out on the morning. Might be better than carrying a lock for stopping off in the shops for extra water along the way. Though if the weather doesn't change I may not have to worry;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is anyone doing the 100? I am in no shape for 200kms unfortunately, but I would be up for quite a reasonable fast pace for the 100kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'll do the 200 ... which is actually not even 200 ( wimps )

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hi, I'm not going to make it on Sunday so have my entry for sale. I don't think you can change names, but you'd get some guilt free food/drink stops! PM me.

I'll do the 200 ... which is actually not even 200 ( wimps )

192k and a bit. Will have to cycle home to make up the 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Is anyone doing the 100? I am in no shape for 200kms unfortunately, but I would be up for quite a reasonable fast pace for the 100kms.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. Training has been brutal for me so I'm nowhere near fitness or weight for 200, but I'm thinking of trying to give the 100 a good lashing. MapMyRide seems to show that the Sugar Loaf climb at the start is the only real hill and it's a descent from that nearly to the end with a speedbump somewhere between Avoca and Redcross.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

AstraMonti wrote: »

Yeah, I haven't cycled more than 80k this year so will be doing the 100k I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Planet X wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't cycled more than 80k this year so will be doing the 100k I reckon.

I know it's organised by the vets, but I don't think they'll make you do it at 40km TT pace.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^
    Good result at the weekend. Great photos going up that hill on FaceB.
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Planet X wrote: »

ah jasus, if i can drag myself around a 200 you'd surely fly around... and you've cycled 80km at race pace which surely counts as 160 anyway

ah jasus, if i can drag myself around a 200 you'd surely fly around... and you've cycled 80km at race pace which surely counts as 160 anyway

Didn't you do something like 250kms at 27km/hr a month or two ago?!

Think this'll be my last 200km, think I've realised my limit of enjoyment when it comes to distances, and over 130km or so the enjoyment just goes out of it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Dónal wrote: »
    Didn't you do something like 250kms at 27km/hr a month or two ago?!

Think this'll be my last 200km, think I've realised my limit of enjoyment when it comes to distances, and over 130km or so the enjoyment just goes out of it for me.

I have to agree with you here. 3-4 hours in saddle is optimal.
    6 hours can be a great challenge.

8hours plus can get really really boring for me. I know this is not the case for lots of people.
    I have only done 2 200km cycles and didn't really enjoy them. Yet I have signed up for 2 in the next month.
    That said I would like to do WW200 this w/e but won't make it. Enjoy folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am number 28 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Do you need to hang around after registration (assuming this doesn't take forever) until 7am or can you just sign on and take off?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Do you need to hang around after registration (assuming this doesn't take forever) until 7am or can you just sign on and take off?

Thanks.

I've done the W200 a few times & have never left at 7am. I usually just head off as soon as I'm registered, whether i'm early or late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Thanks.
    Register at 6am if you like and head straight off and beat the crowds at Donard ()unless you are going to be super quick in which case the Donard checkpoint might not have opened). Last year I left at 6.30 and the water stop at Kilbride wasn't open (or I just didn't see it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Register at 6am if you like and head straight off and beat the crowds at Donard ()unless you are going to be super quick in which case the Donard checkpoint might not have opened). Last year I left at 6.30 and the water stop at Kilbride wasn't open (or I just didn't see it).

Sounds like a good plan. I don't think I'll be breaking any records getting to Donard anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I'm looking to get sell my w200 entry if anyone is interested? Illness has prevented me from getting any training in over the past couple of weeks. Let me know if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I hear there are 4,000 taking part at 40euro a pop

thats 160,000 euro - hmmmm

plus sponsors money

ok they give u a jersey!?

anyone else scratching their head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

No jersey or T-shirt Slideshowbob,just a medal made from a highly precious and rare metal.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I hear there are 4,000 taking part at 40euro a pop

thats 160,000 euro - hmmmm

plus sponsors money

ok they give u a jersey!?

anyone else scratching their head?

Only 2,000 riders have been registered : so it's € 84,000 in reg fees.
    (I know the IVCA organisers of this event).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

abcdggs wrote: »
    I'm looking to get sell my w200 entry if anyone is interested? Illness has prevented me from getting any training in over the past couple of weeks. Let me know if anyone is interested

I missed the online registration.

I only have enough training to do 100km in this years event and I am thinking of just turning up on the day and doing my 100km sans registration.
    (the organisers are adamant that no one will be permitted to register to ride on the day).

I'll think about your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

No jersey or T-shirt Slideshowbob,just a medal made from a highly precious and rare metal.:pac:

Right ...........

eh so rare there are only 2,000 of em!

Best of luck to all participants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

hinault wrote: »
    I missed the online registration.

I only have enough training to do 100km in this years event and I am thinking of just turning up on the day and doing my 100km sans registration.
    (the organisers are adamant that no one will be permitted to register to ride on the day).

I'll think about your offer.

but you cant be stopped riding the course on the day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

thank god !!! cos if i dont bring home something after a 200k cycle theres no way she ll belive i was out cycling for 8 hours !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

abcdggs wrote: »
    Sent pm if still available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I have to pull out of this weekends W200 due to a back injury, I might have been able for the 100 but I couldn't be arsed getting up at 5:30 for it. - giving the entry away but a donation to a charity of your choice would be appreciated.

I don't have the pack with me today but it can be collected from Citywest tomorrow or Dalkey/Kiliney tonight. I ill slo be in he city centre tomorrow evening.

PM my in interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Next in line after Sy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

leftism wrote: »
    Next in line after Sy!

Sy got sorted through someone else, PM sent to Leftism

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

looking for a w100/200 entry - if there is one going please PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement