Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 out of 10 highest paid wouldn't be RTE. Really??

• 10-10-2009 12:32am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today RTE released the top ten earners for the '07-'08 period.

RTE's defence of these fees basically broke down to them saying that if they didn't pay them that wage then someone else would have, therefore they would have been left scrabbling about looking for (or schooling) alternative talents. This in turn could and would have only ended in disappointment for them (RTE), their sponsors and their audience.

The spokesman speaking on RTE Drivetime went on to say that if every station released the list of their talent's earning that there could be up to 4 other presenters from rival stations that would surpass some of the presenters' wages on their list.

Does anyone reckon that this is true?

I can't think of 4 presenters that I could imagine are on close to RTE's high rollers, especially when appearance time is worked out in relation to wage.
    Ian Dempsey is the only one that comes to my mind but does anyone have any idea who this chap in RTE could be referring to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

there is no market pressure to pay these poeple so well

they can't all go to TV3/Newstalk etc. and no one in the UK has heard of any of them

RTE make me sick, my mother pays the TV license :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

liberal wrote: »
    there is no market pressure to pay these poeple so well

they can't all go to TV3/Newstalk etc. and no one in the UK has heard of any of them

RTE make me sick, my mother pays the TV license :mad:

Was hoping to keep the thread a bit cleaner and clearer on the subject at hand Liberal. It was about a statement made by a rep from RTE and I would like to know if anyone thinks that what he said might be true and if so who.

Sure you could throw your mam a few quid towards the TV licence and have a proper rant, but it is what it is...a TV licence and this is the Radio forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I think Liberal does have a point though.

On subject, Matt Cooper must be on good dosh. Possibly D'arcy (God knows why:eek:). Maybe Cagney on TV

I still find it hard to believe what he said.
    I have a long time hatred of RTE and find it impossible to believe a lot of what they stated over the years. I suspect this is another," we are RTE so it has to be true".

I HATE RtE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I heard the Dawson interview and from what I remember he said something along the lines of - "...speaking to agents and from the best we can ascertain 4 of the top 10....etc. It is in agents interest to exaggerate what their clients could make elsewhere, so I would wonder how reliable this information is. If there are any non-RTE broadcasters in the top 10, I would imagine they would be very much at the bottom end of the scale. And RTE is the only one of these organisations funded by the licence fee payers and that is the crucial difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I wonder what some of the Newstalk flagship names are earning? Especially the ones that were reasonably well known beforehand. George Hook? Tom Dunne, Claire Byrne?

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    I wonder what some of the Newstalk flagship names are earning? Especially the ones that were reasonably well known beforehand. George Hook? Tom Dunne, Claire Byrne?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. Surely it could only have been O' Brien's stables that could have been bumping the stakes up over the last few years. He would have also been quicker and more severe in his pay corrections.
    T. Dunne?
    Hooke?
    Dempsey?
    Cooper?

Newstalk latest filed accounts show accumulated losses of 19 million euros from when the station started to 2007. Given what has happen to advertising revenue since then, I doubt the finances have improved any. I'm sure the top names are reasonably well paid to keep them at the station, but nothing like over in montrose.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0430/1224245682787.html

I wonder if that in such a small country, population wise, and with so much filthy lucre knocking about in the recent enough past would it have been easy for presenters' agents to create the illusion/fear of their clients jumping ship to a greener pasture? Therefore RTE bieng scalped under a created economy?

The traffic really was one way in the end it seams: RTE paying out huge sums in order to retain their talents. With the exception of Dempsey I can't think of one other BIG player to leave the suckling nipple of the mothership for private enterprise.

It's looking like RTE were well and truely taken to the cleaners by the talents.

Their spokesman tried to spin the "stars" being on long term fixed term contracts as being to RTE's advantage i.e RTE doesn't have to renew them... come on, how long have that top 10 been at RTE. And in fairness to Mary Wilson she did point that out to him.

I agree, when TV3 and Today FM came along, RTE percieved a threat that was never realised and a handful of people made a lot of money as a result.

But, in today's Irish Examiner Pat kenny let it be know that this year his salaries will be 630,000 euros as a result of having to recently negotiate a new contract because the old one was up. The same thing will happen to there others in due course. They will still be paid far to much IMO, but to a certain extent - the partys over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    On subject, Matt Cooper must be on good dosh. Possibly D'arcy (God knows why:eek:).
    There is no way RTE can know. If it was a professional interviewer rather than a soft toweling down by a fellow RTE staffer, they would have asked how they got private info from TV3 and Today FM. Otherwise the statement is unfounded speculation.

Cooper works harder than most at RTE. 12.5 hours live radio, plus 1 hour highlights, 2 newspaper columns, regular TV3 sports presentation, a book coming out. And far fewer holidays than RTE staff. Surely the 12 week holidays in RTE need to be factored into any comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

humberklog wrote: »
    Today RTE released the top ten earners for the '07-'08 period.

Strange the way O Rourke,Duffy and Mooney were off on the said day!!!!

Wonder what Mary Wilson earns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I notice there's no mention of "Uncle Gaybo" in all these posts...that's probably because he's under the radar on his RTE Golden Hancuffs of over €300,000 a year so he wont go work for Denis O Brien, but they daren't disclose that info...crazy thinking in RTE, in their own cocoon up there in Donnybrook!

Big Tone wrote: »
    I notice there's no mention of "Uncle Gaybo" in all these posts...that's probably because he's under the radar on his RTE Golden Hancuffs of over €300,000 a year so he wont go work for Denis O Brien, but they daren't disclose that info...crazy thinking in RTE, in their own cocoon up there in Donnybrook!

Holy mother of god. I never heard of the like.
    How come he wasn't mentioned in thew top 10 as the wedge would out do one or two in the list.

Firetrap wrote: »

Claire Bryne pretty much answerd the question today in the Herald - "I work for a private sector company and as such don't have to reveal what I earn, but I can tell you that Marian wouldn't have to work for very much of the year before she hit my pay grade".

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/is-marian-finucane-worth-her-near-euro50-per-minute-yes-1912870.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

humberklog wrote: »
    Holy mother of god. I never heard of the like.
    How come he wasn't mentioned in thew top 10 as the wedge would out do one or two in the list.

Is there any way to confirm it?

Advertisement