Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/2/3 "Air" **SPOILERS** Full Premiere Discussion

• 10-10-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,629 ✭✭✭✭

I can't disassociate this song with the Destiny >_>

Stupid car commercial!

Your Impression of SGU? 73 votes

Chevron 9 is Locked
    0% 0 votes
    ♪ Starrr Trekking across the Universe ♪
    64% 47 votes
    McKay
    23% 17 votes
    N'O'Niell
    5% 4 votes
    Damn you all to Hell!
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,629 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yup. I was at 4/5. Now with a full premiere im at 5/5. Shazam. Loved it. This show is going places. Rehashed elements being what they are, you couldnt expect this to be 100% original. Its a little unfair.

What it does have is a lot of promise.
    The hallucination sequence reminded me vagualy of Teal'cs when he went through some mad ****. Not sure what it had to do with anything.. but ill have to watch again. A little too early to be doing too much of this intimate Character stuff. Too early for us to know about or care about the character. What was his name again? <---- Exactly.

I loved the mystery behind what happened with the two that went to the other planet. We have no idea. Never will have an idea. But a lesson is learned here: if the Ship says dont go: Dont ****ing go.

I didnt see the ending coming at all. Again, it bent previously established wormhole rules. However, like the Puddle Jumper incident in Pegasus broke a previous wormhole rule, and this one breaks that one, you also have 3 seperate versions of the Gate System entirely. No DHDs? WTF? Its like.... the movie.... Version 3.0 of Stargate Technology is bound to have quirks seperate to 2.0 (Pegasus) and 1.0 (Milky Way). The gate was also tied to the Destiny's presumed AI - whiched if completely retarded, would have jumped to FTL anyway and severed the connection that way. Anyway this scene was very well done.

Which reminds me, the FTL jump was pretty spiffy.

Previous questions were answered: Ancient comms is or can optionally (?) be two way. Still no clue why if it was automatic, why the Doc (damn I have to lookup his name) didnt take care of (damn i have to remember that too) Carlyle's body when HE contacted the DeptHD (Dept. of Homeworld Defense).

And especially extra spoilerage:
    Who hitched a ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Very good episode this show has a lot of potential
    Was it someone hitching a ride or was it a shuttle taken off from destiny? maybe since they got life support back something happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

toxick wrote: »
    Very good episode this show has a lot of potential
    Was it someone hitching a ride or was it a shuttle taken off from destiny? maybe since they got life support back something happened?

maybe
    the fresh air was toxic to whoever was hitchhiking? and they are the ones who damaged the life support??

and what happened to the two eejits that went thru to other planet? i bet will see them again

i loved the soundtrack (yet again!)

after watching this im definitely 100% sold on universe!!

as i said before Universe has something Stargate lost a long time ago, the adventure and unknowns

i cant just sit there and predict the ending like i could with Atlantis and SG1 later seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Fecking great ep, enjoyed the whole way through out. Cant wait for ep 4 now!!!

Who was that at the end, could have been as said above or maybe a life pod? On closer inspection there didn't seem to be a hatch or hole where it came from. MAybe it was draining power for its-self?

Loved the soundtrack, even ending song. But dont know the name of it.

Still top ep, cant wait for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought the whole point of the destiny was to deposit stargates to new places as it went. Maybe that's what the ending was?

Loved this episode, and love this show. It really is going places, and its not lovey dovey everyone-is-friends like SG1 and SGA. There is conflict, risk, tension and the unknown.

In case anyone is wondering, the song at the end is Breathe by Alexi Murdoch. Beautiful song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Part 3 was amazing. Can't wait to see where the show goes. :D
    Mr E wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of the destiny was to deposit stargates to new places as it went. Maybe that's what the ending was?

No,there were other ships that went ahead of the destiny to deposit stargates. The destiny follows the path the other ships made. I'm not sure what it does exactly,maybe checks to see they're all working/connected?

The thing getting dropped off could be anything. Maybe the senetors body getting sent into space? Or supplies automatically getting sent back to people that get left behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

do i need spoiler tag for this?

anyways :D

the thing dropping of is very likely an alien hitchhiker ship, something we will learn more about i suppose, see my previous theory

checkout these screens, its definitely not of ancient design (different colors) and its 100% not the shuttle pod the senators body is in

shuttlepod on port side of ship one with hole and senator
    http://i34.tinypic.com/nb6y4o.png

alien thingie detaching a few hundred meters to the rear of the pod, on same side of the ship towards the back
    http://i35.tinypic.com/2j362ab.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That was excellent. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A hitchhiker? Cool. Whjat happened to the two that went to the other planet, or will we ever know? I wondered why Eli didn't send the orb through, to have a look around, when he was trying to contact them by radio. Maybe the gate was under water at the other side?

Anyway, a good finish to the opening 3 parter. Pity they didn't show it all together, last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

No doubt the pod is associated with the new enemy that they'll have to deal with in the future. You always have to have the nemesis.

It'll be interesting to see what Ancient tech is on board that requires the Ancient gene (no doubt several people have had a gene shot). The communication device could prove quite useful, allowing them to get any needed skills. Otherwise, in the absence of a qualified surgeon they'll be fairly screwed.

• Advertisement

Then how did it approach 4 stargates along its path into the outter universe?

Destiny as mentioned in pt1 i believe, and all over the wikis for months, was launched after several of her daughter ships. Those ships carried no life support and were essentially insterellar stargate fabrication plants. Whatever galaxy Destiny just passed through, one of its daughters had already been there perhaps thousands of years prior.

jor el wrote: »
    A hitchhiker? Cool. Whjat happened to the two that went to the other planet, or will we ever know? I wondered why Eli didn't send the orb through, to have a look around, when he was trying to contact them by radio. Maybe the gate was under water at the other side?

Anyway, a good finish to the opening 3 parter. Pity they didn't show it all together, last week.
    No the two eeejits scanned ahead of themselves before going through. We honestly dont know what or who got them. And I suspect we never will.

Hitchikers indeed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=92944&stc=1&d=1255183807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I was hoping the closing scene would of been then 2 scientists getting eaten or something.

Another good episode, think this series is so much better than Atlantis already.

I'm also pretty convinced that pod at the end wasn't apart of Destiny has all Ancient ships have Blue/White After Burners (has seen in pic posted above) and this ship had Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Overheal wrote: »

I loved the mystery behind what happened with the two that went to the other planet. We have no idea. Never will have an idea. But a lesson is learned here: if the Ship says dont go: Dont ****ing go.

Eli should have sent the cam thing after them!

couldent have been - the ai is smart enough to know that a planet does not need 2 gates
    jor el wrote: »
    k.

they others guys sent kerno or whatever though and said it was green or whatever so im guessing plague/dangerous preditors or hostile alien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

User45701 wrote: »
    couldent have been - the ai is smart enough to know that a planet does not need 2 gates

They could have been in FTL for hours before that final shot. Doesn't matter anyway.

Originally the Destiny was described as being involved in seeding the galaxies with stargates. Which to my mind implied it was seeding the gates. Closer to the air date of SGU it was made clearer the Destiny was following the seeding ship(s). I think that's where the confusion came from.

That ship that detached is definitely a foreign object. Hell of a last scene. Looking forward to next ep.

User45701 wrote: »
    Eli should have sent the cam thing after them!
    They sent the Kino through the first time. Eli was left without it. A new one was handed to him later from Destiny when they sent a team to follow up.

Anyway, to answer some questions,

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny

Apparently not being in true Hyperspace is what allows wormholes to connect to Destiny while its in transit. Which only bursts the 12 hour bubble, imo. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Nicely done - can't add much that hasn't been said already. I do wish they had aired all 3 parts together, it's so much better when viewed as one long premiere. Roll on next week :).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep very happy with it so far. There's a much more epic feel to the show than SG1 or SGA, enhanced by the lush production values. I almost cringed when I heard a song/montage sequence at the end but they chose a very nice piece and it worked well.

I think Scott is a surprisingly good character but it was maybe a little early for a back story. Only a small quibble though.

Hopefully the ratings will remain good - it's certainly created a busier forum.

His name is Scott?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

They sent the Kino through the first time. Eli was left without it. A new one was handed to him later from Destiny when they sent a team to follow up.

Anyway, to answer some questions,

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny

Apparently not being in true Hyperspace is what allows wormholes to connect to Destiny while its in transit. Which only bursts the 12 hour bubble, imo. :confused:

what im saying is why they didnt send the 2nd one though fater the other 2 after they couldent make radio contact
    His name is Scott?

Matthew scott i think ? the most interesting charactor so far

I wonder how many episodes till they stumble on the Furling home world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

just watched the third epesode just now...

I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Yes, the episodes has not aired on Sky yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Have we seen a wormhole connect while Destiny was in transit though? I thought in the first scene of Air part 1, it dropped out of FTL to accept the incoming wormhole from Icarus Base.

When Eli had stuck his arm through and the timer hit zero, Destiny started shaking and the engines (?) got louder and louder before the away team returned and the wormhole disconnected. Like Destiny was accelerating with handbrake down. Maybe if theres something stuck in the event horizon, the wormhole will stay active for a few seconds overtime before Destiny's AI overrides it, disconnects the wormhole and jumps to FTL?
    EDIT: Just remembered where I recognised Chloe's mam from! She played Dr. Vanessa Conrad in 5x15 'Remnants' of Atlantis :)
    http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/File:Vconrad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sherifu wrote: »
    I wonder how many episodes till they stumble on the Furling home world.

The creators have confirmed that we will never see the furlings so no need to worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Dont think theres any need if the thread title says spoilers?

Loved ep 1 and 2. Found ep 3 a bit boring. Like the characters, but the situation was pretty banal. Whenever anything interesting did happen, it was pretty much ignored. I know alot of it was probably set ups for big pay offs later on, but it left this episode on its own fairly weak.

Really all in all, it didnt fo anything to put my sliders/voyager fears to rest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One of them did question why the ship would only stay 12 hours and if it could be changed - I reckon they'll override this feature at some point in the future.

Also got to wonder - why 12 hours precisely? Why a half Earth-standard day? Wasn't this ship originated before the Ancients ever seeded Earth?

Yes, the episodes has not aired on Sky yet...
    If youre reading this far down the page in a spoilered thread, its your loss.

If it concerns the next episode, use spoilers.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »

Also got to wonder - why 12 hours precisely? Why a half Earth-standard day? Wasn't this ship originated before the Ancients ever seeded Earth?
    The Ancients are apparently from earth. odd I know. Or they at least settled there for a very long time. Most of that settlement would have been in Antarctica.

Destiny, as mentioned from the Starmap, was originally launched from Earth.
    Have we seen a wormhole connect while Destiny was in transit though? I thought in the first scene of Air part 1, it dropped out of FTL to accept the incoming wormhole from Icarus Base.
    I think you might be right, we havent seen it yet. the wiki page does however mention it to some degree, that this is one of the purposes of the FTL drive. Destiny detected Icharus dialing in, dropped to sublight, then resumed course.

Advertisement