Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/2/3 "Air" **SPOILERS** Full Premiere Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

VinLieger wrote: »
    The creators have confirmed that we will never see the furlings so no need to worry about that.
    It was by no means a serious post...

We've seen them in 200, that was enough for me. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Pretty good Ep. - I am finding it hard to grasp why they don't use the stones to get ancient experts (i.e Jackson, Carter, McKay) to use them and help figure the whole ship thing out.

Suppose that would suck as a storyline :p

Good Ep and loved the music at the end - song by "Alexi Murdoch" if anyone was interested (as above)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Awesome episode. Looking forward to episode 4.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Enjoyed the episode. Was kind of wondering why everyone was back on the ship, gasping for air while the rest of them played in the sand.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for them all to sit tight on the sand, soak up some oxygen / rays - saving the smelly ship air for a bit longer?

And that stowaway was clearly one of the engineers from Halo ODST

Wonder is it a vessel, or an alien that travels through space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, the whole senator having to die to close the door was a bit badly written for me. There's no mention of gene tech being used in the shuttle, and everyone and anyone seemed to be able to close the door from the inside - so why not use the Kino (Stupid stupid name for the device), to hop up and down off the correct buttons to lock the shuttle down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats what I was wondering too. Presumably they already tried it though. And the controls Rush (look im learning!) Rush used to shut the door locally were touch pad controlls, not buttons or switches. It would have been impossible for a Kino to mash the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

MarkR wrote: »
    Enjoyed the episode. Was kind of wondering why everyone was back on the ship, gasping for air while the rest of them played in the sand.

I found that bit very annoying. Why not kick everyone who didn't need to be on the ship throught he gate and this would reduce the CO2 build up on the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well, the whole senator having to die to close the door was a bit badly written for me. There's no mention of gene tech being used in the shuttle, and everyone and anyone seemed to be able to close the door from the inside - so why not use the Kino (Stupid stupid name for the device), to hop up and down off the correct buttons to lock the shuttle down?

I think the ship Pre-dates Gene Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Peace wrote: »
    I found that bit very annoying. Why not kick everyone who didn't need to be on the ship throught he gate and this would reduce the CO2 build up on the ship.

Because the water is rationed as well, it would be better to fall asleep then be baked alive in a desert.

I really liked the last scene. It was very obviously a 'WTF' moment, but they handled it like there was nothing major about it - no break in the soundtrack at all. Quite liked the way they didn't reveal what happened to the 2 that went through that Stargate; it will obviously be followed up later on in the season.

was that air wisp a lifeform or just a hallucination brought on by dehydration?

Presumably it would be better to keep people somewhere they know they are reasonably safe than bringing them on an uncharted planet. Also you need to remember that most of the people are unqualified and normal civilians, so only those trained should go on those planets.
    Nukem wrote: »
    Pretty good Ep. - I am finding it hard to grasp why they don't use the stones to get ancient experts (i.e Jackson, Carter, McKay) to use them and help figure the whole ship thing out.

Suppose that would suck as a storyline :p

Good Ep and loved the music at the end - song by "Alexi Murdoch" if anyone was interested (as above)

I'd say that will happen eventually. There was more important things to fix in this episode i.e. the air filters. And notifying those in charge that they are still alive and also that the senator is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good ep i thought, nice to know we dont have a bunch of pansies on board, the doc sedating telford so he didnt do more damage to youngs body was good, and the other one from the SGC was probably more of a baby than most people weve seen,

the stones are a great plot device and if used correctly can produce some great episodes, i am awaiting rodney to appear, it should be a given considering he is the foremost expert in ancient tech,

id say that sand thing scott saw was real, probably some lifeform trying to learn about the people who arrived on there planet, although i could only think of cold lazarus when i first saw it, but as people said it could be writen off as a illusion,

id say most of the personel on icarus base would have had gene therapy, and seeing as there the ones exploring the ship they are leaving equipment active for others to use,

i enjoy episodes where there out exploring, it kind of is what stargate was originally, and having the alien ship detach was superb, this ep really show the shows creators are heading in a new direction with the series, more so than part 1-2 did, yet keeping some part of what stargate really is,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I
    was that air wisp a lifeform or just a hallucination brought on by dehydration?
    don ramo wrote: »
    id say that sand thing scott saw was real, probably some lifeform trying to learn about the people who arrived on there planet, although i could only think of cold lazarus when i first saw it, but as people said it could be writen off as a illusion,

It looked more like the dust thrown up by an ascended being - The harssis child from SG1 on abdyobdus caused that same effect before revealing itself.

It probally wasent an acended being but it would be pretty arrogant of us (and the writers)to think only the human race can ascend

EDIT: i forgot to say ratings have gone up for episode 3
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/10/stargate-universe-grows-b.php

now thats unusual - normelly pilots get allot of views which then drop as the series goes on so lets see what the ratings are for ep 4
    These were the best ratings for the Stargate franchise since the Aug. 5, 2005, episode of Stargate: Atlantis, which aired before DVR measurement was included in ratings

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good news - the ratings were higher for this episode - that's very unusual. They were up 22% on the premiere, and bet the surely-soon-to-be-axed 'Dollhouse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ixoy wrote: »
    Good news - the ratings were higher for this episode - that's very unusual. They were up 22% on the premiere, and bet the surely-soon-to-be-axed 'Dollhouse'.
    great news, should hopefully ensure a second season, maybe some sanctuary viewers said they try it out, hopefully it might get some more fans, would be nice for stargate to be on top, i think warehouse 13 is currently the highest rated scripted show syfy has had, i was hopeing universe would do better, youd wonder why it didnt as its a far superior show to warehouse 13, i like shows like eureka and warehouse there fun, but the only true sci-fi fix ATM is stargate, there no other sci-fi show there to challenge it, for quality adventure and entertaiment,

yeah dollhouse has gone into a nose dive, poor whedon:D, although as long as they have eliza im in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Good news - the ratings were higher for this episode - that's very unusual. They were up 22% on the premiere

Wow, that is very usual but great news - hopefully it'll mean a good long run for SGU. I need my Stargate fix :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

they mentioned there are safety sensors inside that must mean an organic being must be present
    the stones are a great plot device and if used correctly can produce some great episodes, i am awaiting rodney to appear, it should be a given considering he is the foremost expert in ancient tech, ,

oh **** no, anyone but him, he would reduce the show to a bad joke in no time
    i enjoy episodes where there out exploring, it kind of is what stargate was originally, and having the alien ship detach was superb, this ep really show the shows creators are heading in a new direction with the series, more so than part 1-2 did, yet keeping some part of what stargate really is,

exactly, as i said before this has something Stargate lost a long time ago, exploration and unpredictability

great! better ratings mean bigger budgets, especially for the planned Atlantis film and any future SG1 films ;)

apparently season 1 of SGU is all shot, so good ratings mean we would get another season :)
    great news, should hopefully ensure a second season, maybe some sanctuary viewers said they try it out, hopefully it might get some more fans, would be nice for stargate to be on top, i think warehouse 13 is currently the highest rated scripted show syfy has had, i was hopeing universe would do better, youd wonder why it didnt as its a far superior show to warehouse 13, i like shows like eureka and warehouse there fun, but the only true sci-fi fix ATM is stargate, there no other sci-fi show there to challenge it, for quality adventure and entertaiment,

there is no good sci-fi at the moment, SGU is the only show im interested now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

SG:U has the higher ratings, but according to the article linked in User45701's post the viewing figures are not all that different.
    [SG:U] with just shy of 2.5 million people watching.... Dollhouse finished the night with 2,235,000 total viewers.

Or am I missing something here? Does SG:U have a bad time slot or something?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Or am I missing something here? Does SG:U have a bad time slot or something?
    Yes it has a bad time slot - Friday night is typically when people go out and that's when it airs. It's seen as the slot-of-death on the mainstream networks (FOX, NBC, etc) to a degree, especially for shows skewed towards a young audience.
    Having said that, some shows do quite well on that night - 'Numb3rs', 'Medium' - and cable channels (including SyFy) have managed to do pretty well.

The key difference with 'Dollhouse' though is that 'Dollhouse' airs on a mainstream network where a 2.5 million audience is atrocious. On cable though that's much more respectable (I seem to recall the likes of 'The Wire' would have gotten those numbers on HBO). What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Just watched episode 3 there. I thought it was the best so far. Wasn't mad about the first episode but by the end of the second I was curious as to where it would go. I was still thinking that it wouldn't be great though, that it wasn't very Stargate in the traditional sense (never watched Atlantis so don't know what it's like) but I loved episode 3, although the apparition of the priest and swirling sand was very Lost.

So is that it for a while now? I mean were those 3 episodes like a big pilot and we'll have to wait a bit for the rest?

Oh and what was with that small shuttle thing coming off the Destiny at the end? Curious to see what that's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    So is that it for a while now? I mean were those 3 episodes like a big pilot and we'll have to wait a bit for the rest?
    No it should keep going now till episode 8 anyway, dont know dates after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Does anyone know what the shuttle detaching from Destiny was at the end?

No that is the source of much speculation yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Missed it on Sky one last night so had to catch up online.

Here's the question I have about the ratings. Do the viewers over here that watch it on Sky one make any difference to the studio keeping the show going or is all the US?

My feeling on the show are thats its good, very good.
    While keeping some of the SG charm its also going for a more BSG feel of dark and gritty.
    I like Dr. Rush's and Msgt. Ronald Greer character, but the whinny Eli Wallace smart kid thing should be played down, down town!!!

Definitely a good plot, being so far out in space they can see thing s that aren't covered in either other shows. Maybe even the Furlings : )

Gonna be glued to this for a while me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Does anyone know what the shuttle detaching from Destiny was at the end?

I think it automatically went back to get the 2 that went to the other planet.
    I was surprised there was no mention of them in the episode, at all!!!;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is it being repeated this week on Sky at all? Missed it last night :(

This is why its shameful you cant get hulu. euro hulu equivalent anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Overheal wrote: »
    This is why its shameful you cant get hulu. euro hulu equivalent anyone?
    It would be nice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

Here's the question I have about the ratings. Do the viewers over here that watch it on Sky one make any difference to the studio keeping the show going or is all the US?

No, not one bit of difference, which is amazing really when more ppl outside of the US watches their TV. We are at the whim of the American Audience. :(

I should also point out that sky pays nowhere near the kind of money that syfy pays for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Good episode. I'm really liking this show. There are a lot of questions to be answered and its holding my interest. Great ending. Its good to have Stargate back. Roll on episode 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is it being repeated this week on Sky at all? Missed it last night :(

Part 3 is on again tonight on Sky 2 @ 9pm

Advertisement