Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/2/3 "Air" **SPOILERS** Full Premiere Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Sherifu wrote: »
    It would be nice. :(

surfthechannel.com :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I more thought of the "wind" as an AI controlled device that was invented to keep the surface of the plant "pure".

I'm saying "pure" due to it turning up when they dump the acid into the sand and it can along and sterilized any imperfection.
    User45701 wrote: »
    It looked more like the dust thrown up by an ascended being - The harssis child from SG1 on abdyobdus caused that same effect before revealing itself.

It probally wasent an acended being but it would be pretty arrogant of us (and the writers)to think only the human race can ascend

EDIT: i forgot to say ratings have gone up for episode 3
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/10/stargate-universe-grows-b.php

now thats unusual - normelly pilots get allot of views which then drop as the series goes on so lets see what the ratings are for ep 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

hightower1 wrote: »
    surfthechannel.com :D

:)

its good for the 20 min shows - random episodes of comedy's but its kinda slow to get new episodes compared to else ware

edit

As we previously reported, the 2-hour series premiere bowed in the U.S. with 2.35 million viewers and a 1.7 household rating for Syfy Channel (story). This bested a new episode of FOX’s genre series Dollhouse.

On SPACE in Canada, “Air” premiered to an audience of 565,000, making it the channel’s most-watched single episode ever (story).

In the U.K., Sky1’s premiere drew 1,042,000 viewers for the first hour and 961,000 for the second — the biggest audience for a Stargate series in almost five years, MGM said.

And last Friday in Australia, the pay cable network SCI FI premiered SGU to a 6.4% share, bettering the timeslot’s previous holder by 411 percent.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/10/mgm-touts-viewership-for-sgus-worldwide-debut/

In the U.K., Sky1’s premiere drew 1,042,000 viewers for the first hour and 961,000 for the second

pretty good

:)

its good for the 20 min shows - random episodes of comedy's but its kinda slow to get new episodes compared to else ware

Care to share where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think it automatically went back to get the 2 that went to the other planet.
    I was surprised there was no mention of them in the episode, at all!!!;)

That's not a bad theory! Seen as there seems to be a lot about the safety precautions on the ship.

But yeah a bit stupid that the two who left weren't mentioned, but I suppose they only got back at the very end of the episode.

Also, did you notice how when they came back and everyone was asking what happened to the guy who got shot Rush just said Greer shot him, failing to mention he told him too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Has anyone been to this page yet?

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/

Small spoilers an episode synopsis for season one.
    Interesting bit is that
    a Lucian Alliance leader will be in the series for three episodes, played by Rhona Mitra which will be ....
    nice. :D

Question is how does
    she get on Destiny in the first place
    .... cant wait.
    [KIVA] (35-45, female). Strong willed commander of the Lucian Alliance. Who will do whatever it takes to safeguard her people even if it is at the ultimate expense of the Destiny crew. THREE EPISODE GUEST ARC;

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Has anyone been to this page yet?

http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/

Small spoilers an episode synopsis for season one.
    Interesting bit is that
    a Lucian Alliance leader will be in the series for three episodes, played by Rhona Mitra which will be .... nice.
    :D

Question is how does she get on Destiny in the first place.... cant wait.

FFS. If there is a spoiler, spoiler tag it.

Sorry, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

no its not, its an alien ship leaving us with a cliffhanger and more questions

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62478860&postcount=8

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sorry, lol.

I'm going to get drunk now to kill off those brain cells that retain that information. :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Overheal wrote: »
    This is why its shameful you cant get hulu. euro hulu equivalent anyone?

Course we can get hulu. You just have to jiggle a few wires is all.

I find surfthechannel is grand, SGU airs on a Friday in the US, by the time I get a chance to watch it on Sat on STC there are at least 10 megavideo links up and a few to divx steams also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Is there a transcript for these show i have no idea what the hell is going on...

trishw78 wrote: »
    Is there a transcript for these show i have no idea what the hell is going on...

Here is the transcript for ep1 "air" .....
    http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/transcripts/101.shtml

Others air part 2 and 3 can be found there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Here is the transcript for ep1 "air" .....
    http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/transcripts/101.shtml

Others air part 2 and 3 can be found there also.

Thanks ...pah to reading... decided on watching ep1 & 2 instead. Is this supposed to carry on after SG Atlantis or should I view it as stand alone.

trishw78 wrote: »
    Thanks ...pah to reading... decided on watching ep1 & 2 instead. Is this supposed to carry on after SG Atlantis or should I view it as stand alone.

Timeline wise its set just after Atlantis but it may have one or two references but nothing so far. Can def be watched as a stand alone.

I dont think it was TBH, looking at the hull design its not Ancient and def not a Destiny class shuttle.

Destiny only has x2 shuttles, one had the hole in it and a rotting senator so it unlikely the ship would send off the last usable shuttle to try pick up the other 2 who went to the locked address?

Its more likely that another species found Destiny and naturally was interested in it, boarded to investigate when 80+ humans were fired through the gate carrying weapons. Would be plausible that they hid, observed and left when it was safe to do so.

Here is the Destiny shuttle...

destinyshuttle.jpg

And screens of the unknown detaching from Destiny at the end of Air part 3...

destinyunknown.jpg

destinyunknown2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,629 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Timeline wise its set just after Atlantis but it may have one or two references but nothing so far. Can def be watched as a stand alone.
    Wasnt there an Atlantis spoiler mentioned though? Or was that in this thread.

Atlantis
    Now that its on earth, whats to become of the SGC's stargate?

Wasnt there an Atlantis spoiler mentioned though? Or was that in this thread.

Atlantis
    Now that its on earth, whats to become of the SGC's stargate?

So far there has been no mention of Atlantis in SGU but I suppose at some stage there will be a story ref to something or someone from Atlantis but I am sure they will write in an explanation for anyone who wouldnt have watched it.
    If you didnt watch sg1 you would still have got what was happening in SGU.

In a side note when Atlantis Gate
    came to earth its not a problem, as mentioned in the series in ref to midway station a milkyway gate takes precedence when a Pegasus and milkyway gate are in proximity. The earth gate would work as normal but the Atlantis one wouldnt, they'd have fly it back to Pegasus or far enough away from a milkyway gate for it to work again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 trojan Fury

All of earths starships now have the Asgard drive fitted to them.
    And if ye all remember from SG1 that an asgard drive can transport any Starship across the Universe in a manner of seconds.

The crew of the Destiny know exactly were they are in reference to earth, so why can't the Odyssey or the general Hammond just blast across the galaxy and pick them up.

• Advertisement

And if ye all remember from SG1 that an asgard drive can transport any Starship across the Universe in a manner of seconds.

The crew of the Destiny know exactly were they are in reference to earth, so why can't the Odyssey or the general Hammond just blast across the galaxy and pick them up.

Thats very ture, the asgard hyperdrive is proportional to the amount of energy you have to push into it, with
    Atlantis and its zpm on earth they could make the trip easily....

"the Prometheus needed months to travel between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies (where the more advanced Daedalus made the trip in about four days with a ZPM tied into its power systems), and an Asgard O'Neill-class vessel traveled from the Ida galaxy to the Milky Way in only a few hours."

Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Asgard_hyperdrive

The pegasus galixy is approx 3.5million light years from milkyway, if destiny is "several billion light years" from the milkyway they could make the trip with the following equasion....

Milkyway to Pegasus = 3,500,000 light years
    Trip in Asgard drive ship with ZPM = say 5hrs.

Destiny distance = 7,000,000,000 light years
    Time to reach Destiny in asgard drive ship with ZPM =7,000,000,000 divided by 3,500,000, ans mutilply 5 = 10,000hrs/ or 416 days/ or 1yr 51days.

Not the shortest trip and thats not to say the ZPM wouldnt burn out but its possible.

Now thats on the basis that they can find an O'Neil class Asgard vessel, in a Daedalus class vessel thats a lot longer..

7,000,000,000 light years works out to 21.9 years. The O'neil class ship is 19.2 times faster than a daedalus class ship. Approximitly based on the speed / distance covered by both ship classes from Milky way to Pegasus.

So far there has been no mention of Atlantis in SGU but I suppose at some stage there will be a story ref to something or someone from Atlantis but I am sure they will write in an explanation for anyone who wouldnt have watched it.
    If you didnt watch sg1 you would still have got what was happening in SGU.

In a side note when Atlantis Gate
    came to earth its not a problem, as mentioned in the series in ref to midway station a milkyway gate takes precedence when a Pegasus and milkyway gate are in proximity. The earth gate would work as normal but the Atlantis one wouldnt, they'd have fly it back to Pegasus or far enough away from a milkyway gate for it to work again

Other way around because at the end of sga the [/spoiler] wraith "uber" hive's pegasus gate took priority
    which is why they gated to that ship and not the SGC :)

Its a good point - i had never thought of it but encase yo udont know the US goverment does not have the money to cheyenne mountain and it is going to be cleared out decomissioned and sold.

There was talk on gateworld about should the SGC relocate to coiciencide with the real world shut down of tcheyenne - SGA
    SGA on earth with their gate is the new SGC? - think about it - no weapons platform in antartica/Area 51 so they will keep atlantis there

between galaxies quickly yes. But asgard ships were specially constructed and designed for the task, out of exotic materials and alloys hence why asgard ships are so fragile. And why they are so damned slow when towing a Prometheus class vessel (unnatural selection, season 6).

Earth vessels are not engineered to go that fast. If they tried, theyd be torn apart.
    Remember how long it took the Hammond to fly to Icharus base? Hardly instantaneous, and that was considered to be In The Neighborhood.
    Thats very ture, the asgard hyperdrive is proportional to the amount of energy you have to push into it, with
    Atlantis and its zpm on earth they could make the trip easily....
    Atlantis spoilers below.
    no they cant. That FTL jump cost Atlantis its power reserve. There were severe problems with power management when they committed earth re-entry while fighting the wraith.
    "the Prometheus needed months to travel between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies (where the more advanced Daedalus made the trip in about four days with a ZPM tied into its power systems), and an Asgard O'Neill-class vessel traveled from the Ida galaxy to the Milky Way in only a few hours."

Source: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Asgard_hyperdrive

The pegasus galixy is approx 3.5million light years from milkyway, if destiny is "several billion light years" from the milkyway they could make the trip with the following equasion....

Milkyway to Pegasus = 3,500,000 light years
    Trip in Asgard drive ship with ZPM = say 5hrs.

Destiny distance = 7,000,000,000 light years
    Time to reach Destiny in asgard drive ship with ZPM =7,000,000,000 divided by 3,500,000, ans mutilply 5 = 10,000hrs/ or 416 days/ or 1yr 51days.

Not the shortest trip and thats not to say the ZPM wouldnt burn out but its possible.

Now thats on the basis that they can find an O'Neil class Asgard vessel, in a Daedalus class vessel thats a lot longer..

7,000,000,000 light years works out to 21.9 years. The O'neil class ship is 19.2 times faster than a daedalus class ship. Approximitly based on the speed / distance covered by both ship classes from Milky way to Pegasus.
    that was impressive math. also replicators boosted a gouauld mothership to hop untold distances in no time. nothing to say same cant be done in theory. but unlikely
    Other way around because at the end of sga the
    wraith "uber" hive's pegasus gate took priority
    which is why they gated to that ship and not the SGC :)

Its a good point - i had never thought of it but encase yo udont know the US goverment does not have the money to cheyenne mountain and it is going to be cleared out decomissioned and sold.

There was talk on gateworld about should the SGC relocate to coiciencide with the real world shut down of tcheyenne - SGA
    SGA on earth with their gate is the new SGC? - think about it - no weapons platform in antartica/Area 51 so they will keep atlantis there
    Well atlantis originated at the outpost in Antartica. damn near sat on top of it. would make sense.

also wasnt that wraith gate augmented in some way as to force it to the top of precedence while it was in earth orbit?

Care to share where?

HD torrents ftw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i always found the drives unrealistic, i also think the writers made a big bobo when they first showed us the impressive asguard ships capabilities, they were to unrealistic to maintain in later series, sure an asguard ship moved across a galaxy in seconds at first,

and the weapons
    , didnt a few asguard ship defend the gate when the ori first entered milkyway and got annilated, yet when deadaluas got asguard weapons upgrades they had no problem taking out 2 ori ships single handedly,

also in EATG
    atlantis used most of its power with there fancy new wormhole drive,

in sci-fi its hard to cover all angles, cause you always want an enemy that very strong, yet they are always unrealistically strong in a way that they are unbeatable, baring the good guys getting a really really lucky break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

don ramo wrote: »
    and the weapons
    , didnt a few asguard ship defend the gate when the ori first entered milkyway and got annilated, yet when deadaluas got asguard weapons upgrades they had no problem taking out 2 ori ships single handedly,
    in sci-fi its hard to cover all angles, cause you always want an enemy that very strong, yet they are always unrealistically strong in a way that they are unbeatable, baring the good guys getting a really really lucky break
    The asguard ships that first fought the ORI in the season finale of episode nine were underpowered compared the final of season ten where the asguards had finally developed new beaming weapons of some sort

I agree with you about covering the angles though:)

@ Hightower Destiny's distance is several billion lightyears from earth and growing, this growing factor would make the journey there longer and longer, and also if one were to take into account the expanding universe who's rate is accelerating, the journey home would be wayyy longer again than the journey there:p

In short : If they do make it home, the producers better have a darn good explanation for how it was accomplished :)

Malty_T wrote: »
    The asguard ships that first fought the ORI in the season finale of episode nine were underpowered compared the final of season ten where the asguards had finally developed new beaming weapons of some sort

I agree with you about covering the angles though:)

@ Hightower Destiny's distance is several billion lightyears from earth and growing, this growing factor would make the journey there longer and longer, and also if one were to take into account the expanding universe who's rate is accelerating, the journey home would be wayyy longer again than the journey there:p

In short : If they do make it home, the producers better have a darn good explanation for how it was accomplished :)
    SG1
    There werent asgard ships at that battle there were Free Jaffa Motherships and Deadaulus class battleships in the form of Odyssey and the Kruschev (iirc the name)

But at the same time, why The Hammond couldnt defeat the Aschen Alliance motherships is beyond me. It was no doubt armed to the teeth with the latest beam weaponry. We saw none of that. But hopefully the producers realised having them on earth ships was a bit tacky (fire phasers!) and went back to good awl' railguns and missile batteries. bless.

edit: found a reason for my above question. Atlantis
    The Last Man (an alternate timeline episode) The Phoenix was rushed into service with few of the Asgard subsystems operable. So, back in the regular timeline, this would still be true of the Phoenix (later renamed the Gorge Hammond, in his honor) and the Asgard subsystems would not be fully operable during the Battle at Icarus. This would also hint that the Battle at Icarus happened sometime shortly after the end of Atlantis, in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Looks like head military guy is going to have two love interests.

I thought they were going to try and force the Senator's strangely attractive daughter on Eli.

SG1
    There werent asgard ships at that battle there were Free Jaffa Motherships and Deadaulus class battleships in the form of Odyssey and the Kruschev (iirc the name)

a single asguard ship was involved in the battle

• Advertisement

your mom's an asgard ship.

Advertisement