Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to get next?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I now have a small fish tank with no light sitting idle and thinking of adding to our small menagerie - dog, cats, fish.

Thinking of spider or scorpion, possibly a giant snail.

Any other suggestions? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well depends on what kind of room or space you have and attention you can give really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

star-pants wrote: »
    Well depends on what kind of room or space you have and attention you can give really.

A small fish tank - 40cm wide, 26 deep, 30 high. I can give loads of attention if needed but would prefer not too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oh sorry, I mis read your post -- I read the tank and the dogs/cats/fish and assumed fish in the tank. I'm not awake!!

are scorpions easy to get here? regarding spiders, they freak me out lol so I know nothing about them. Someone will respond soon with that reptile place that exists, I can't remember the name and search is disabled, but when they do, that place might have something or give you advice even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If you go to whackers either the one in town (parnelly street opposite back end of the Ilac Centre) or the Long Mile Road they'll give you a good steer. The Long Mile Road is much bigger and has way more stuff but the staff in town are probably more experienced especially with exotics. Plus anything they lack in town they can get moved in for you. Suggest you ask for Gavin or Eric. I have no connection to the place except as a customer.

Yep scorpions and or spiders are certainly available there. Never seen giant snails there to the best of my recollection. I have an idea they are not permitted imports.

There is or used to be reptile place up near the Council offices on woodquay...not sure if its still going - think so though and they likely have arachnids too - never been in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Hey,

I keep both spiders and scorpions, and from experience, i'd recommend either.

Just one bit of advice. Do not buy either from a pet shop here.

I buy all of mine from the UK from various forums dedicated to arachnids/insects.

I shop in Wackers and I saw a flower mantis in there the other day for 50 euro.

You could honestly get one for as little as £1. This makes me rage beyond belief as their lifespan is about a year.

Likewise with scorpions, saw them at 40 euro. I got 3 for £30.

Won't even go into how much I've spent on certain tarantulas in there.. No saying they're a bad shop, as I still get stuff for my ratties there, just some of the prices are absolutely extortionate.

Anyway, yeah, have a look about online. Forums such as http://www.bugnation.co.uk/ are great, check the classifieds.

Spiders or scorps are awesome, my scorps hide all the time, as do a lot of my tarantulas but some species are out and about loads.

• Advertisement

Thanks RaeRae, sound advice. The bugnation site looks like a great place to buy. You don't have any problems shipping things over here from the UK?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Boomtastic wrote: »
    Thanks RaeRae, sound advice. The bugnation site looks like a great place to buy. You don't have any problems shipping things over here from the UK?

I bought all my spiders fronm the UK.If youre considering a spider and want to buy from the UK you`d want to be hurrying up a bit.Some suppliers wont ship in the cold weather and its starting to cool down at night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Boomtastic wrote: »

Only ever had one issue with my package being shipped to china before arriving in ireland a week later? But that's a postal mix up and no ones fault but the post office. As it happens it was a package i was sent from one guy who i've gotten most of my spiderlings off and he sent replacements, but a lot wouldn't.

Honestly though, most of the time it's fine. RMSD (Royal Mail Special Delivery) is what most use to send (£6ish) and it gets to you in 3-5 days.

RaeRae wrote: »
    Only ever had one issue with my package being shipped to china before arriving in ireland a week later? But that's a postal mix up and no ones fault but the post office. As it happens it was a package i was sent from one guy who i've gotten most of my spiderlings off and he sent replacements, but a lot wouldn't.

Honestly though, most of the time it's fine. RMSD (Royal Mail Special Delivery) is what most use to send (£6ish) and it gets to you in 3-5 days.

There's a postal strike on it's way in the UK. Could be a long one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You could get a young cornsnake and upgrade it to a larger tank if it outgrows it.

You can get corns in Reptile Haven on Fishamble street

• Advertisement

Tank is currently being used to hatch and grow a load of water snails. I'll hopefully be able to use the proceeds from selling them to buy something new. :D

Advertisement