Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Easy Transfer

• 10-10-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Got a new laptop and as both are same manufacturer and vista home premium I was advised to use Easy Transfer rather than just backing up the HD and dumping it across.

However as with many MS apps, there seems to be a problem.
    The easy transfer created a .MIG file of 37GB but even though I have an external HD with 200GB odd free space on it it refuses to copy as it says the "file is too large".
    I was at the point of going out and getting a cross-over cable when I though if I used a file splitter it might get around it.

So I split the file into 5 chunks of 8GB each but it won't let me paste the .MIG.001, .002 etc files saying there's not enough space.
    Even if i try to move them to the external HD one at a time it still says that yet I can copy of 12GB folder to the external HD without any problem.

Anyone encountered any problems with the so called "easy" transfer before and know how to fix it or failing that where I can pick up a crossover cable or a "windows easy transfer cable" in Dublin city centre ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Is the external drive formatted in FAT? If so, FAT has a file limit of ~4GB so you would need to split each file into 4GB chunks. You could alternatively reformat the external drive in NTFS which will let you copy the MIG file in one go (reformatting will wipe anthing currently on the drive though).

Advertisement