Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda gives parking fine at 2am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I say bring it to court, make sure your mate dresses in a suit and tie and has all papers relating to the cars tax and insurance in order and with him. The court will be full of scumbags in tracksuits so the judge will be impressed by your friends attire, be concise and explain exactly what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

markok84 wrote: »
    I say bring it to court, make sure your mate dresses in a suit and tie and has all papers relating to the cars tax and insurance in order and with him. The court will be full of scumbags in tracksuits so the judge will be impressed by your friends attire, be concise and explain exactly what happened.

The easy option is to pay up

But its a shame to bow down and grin and bear it as they say

First of all it was not his fault that his access was blocked by taxis to where he would normally load his van

Secondly he was not causing an obstruction --I presume?

Third--how was he supposed to protect his expensive equipment otherwise--leave it in the street to be damaged by drunks??

Its 2am in the morning for gods sake--the judge may say that the garda in question would be serving his time better by keeping an eye on the drug dealers and drunks instead of wasting court time with trivial complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Rules are rules, I love this idea that disabled spots aren't needed in the night! I've heard it so many times.

Or the one where 'I could move if some one wanted the parking spot'.

Couldn't the taxi drivers come back with the same argument, but no one is going to ask them to move.
    You depend on the police to enforce the rules so you don't have to argue the rules of the road with a stranger at 2am. You expect the taxi drivers abid by the law so you can.

As far as I'm concerned zero tolerance. If you have a problem with a law, change the law, don't just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

fair enough he broke the law but it was a bit harsh of the cop. Tell him to ring the station and ask for the sarge who was on at the time and see if he will help your mate out. If not I would just take it on the chin and pay the fine. Wouldnt be bothered going to court about it meself.

Other chap. Your son didnt have tax, he got a fine, tis only a few yo yo's, dont worry about it. Tell your son to get a motorbike. My last bike was 3 months out of date, then it got robbed. Saved meself 70 quid for the years tax.

Couldn't the taxi drivers come back with the same argument, but no one is going to ask them to move.
    You depend on the police to enforce the rules so you don't have to argue the rules of the road with a stranger at 2am. You expect the taxi drivers abid by the law so you can.

As far as I'm concerned zero tolerance. If you have a problem with a law, change the law, don't just ignore it.[/QUOTE]

Well this guy was also working in the same way as the taxi drivers were working --its a pity the cops didnt ask them to move out of his way so he could load his gear
    Would that not have been a fairer way of dealing with it???

• Advertisement

why couldnt he ask them himself.
    Its done now anyways. Whats the point say why didnt ya do this why didnt ya do that. Pay the fine and get on with life. If a crappy little fine is the worse thing that happens in your life, I think you should be able to make it through it.

What time is cut off for disabled people to be allowed outside anyways? I could swear I seen a few on nights out before.

seanybiker wrote: »
    why couldnt he ask them himself.
    Its done now anyways. Whats the point say why didnt ya do this why didnt ya do that. Pay the fine and get on with life. If a crappy little fine is the worse thing that happens in your life, I think you should be able to make it through it.

What time is cut off for disabled people to be allowed outside anyways? I could swear I seen a few on nights out before.

Nothing to do with disabled people--he was with the van all the time with the doors open
    And nothing to do with paying a crappy fine---its the principal of the thing that matters. We need to lose the downtrodden attitude in this country and stand up for ourselves now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i am of the opinion that then most important law regardless of which, land or god, is the law of common sense, can one apply it here, this is what you say to the judge, but make sure that you have a solicitor, judges do not like to have solicitors unemployed.

old boy wrote: »
    i am of the opinion that then most important law regardless of which, land or god, is the law of common sense, can one apply it here, this is what you say to the judge, but make sure that you have a solicitor, judges do not like to have solicitors unemployed.

Well said old boy!!!
    Thats exactly what I was saying earlier
    Even in a foreign country you would be given the benefit of a few minutes to load a van and its not as if this guy was having a night on the town for gods sake!!
    He was working!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

2am is a crazy time for traffic in John St. ive seen taxis getting tickets from Gardai for blocking the street - being in no parking areas. they are treated the same way. sometimes if they think they Gardai are being unfair - they go on strike!!
    same rules for everyone! sorry lads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

foxylad wrote: »
    2am is a crazy time for traffic in John St. ive seen taxis getting tickets from Gardai for blocking the street - being in no parking areas. they are treated the same way. sometimes if they think they Gardai are being unfair - they go on strike!!

Agreed 100%.

The Gardai have been fairly strict in that area especially, all the time, for everyone. That place is mental at 2am - worse then it is a few hours previous and thats fairly bad also. You will all recall the taxi strike because they got a ticket from a guard for blocking it up and on many occasions I have actually seen them on "point duty" effectively at that time of the night. Taxis in Waterford are part of the chaos - they don't give a ****e where they park and have a hissy fit when they are given a fine for blocking everyone.

If the Guard explains to the judge about how bad traffic was, that your van broke not one but three parking laws, and that it was causing problems to an already chaotic scene - you will end up worse then you came in. You can all use your basic theory that "Its 2am - the judge will throw it out!!!" - clearly the judge will be told just how bad the place is and how the OP contributed, making it worse. Then the judge will use his common sense and agree with the Guard. Its not just a quiet all street at 2am where the van is having no effect - its much more (regardless - the Guard was simply enforcing the law you broke anyway. A judge may not throw it out even if it was quiet, since you still clearly broke three parking offenses).

Sorry - but you gotta learn your lesson on this one. Nobody, regardless of the time, is allowed park in such a way thats a nuisance. You effected normal flow of foot and vehicle traffic and blocked a disabled parking space. You deserve more then a small slap on the wrist for that tbh. Anybody who blocks a disabled parking space (or a footpath) should be given 2 penalty points and a large fine for selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

just call it a lesson learned op and park on the double yello lines or a taxi spot the next time and not in the disabled spot,,at least then you wont look like a perfectly able bodied smug git lifting your gear into a disavantaged parking area and at least you will have the garda see you struggling shifting your gear.....hindsight :),,,i do agree with you over the commen sense issue tho but wot can you do

rusty999 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with disabled people--he was with the van all the time with the doors open
    And nothing to do with paying a crappy fine---its the principal of the thing that matters. We need to lose the downtrodden attitude in this country and stand up for ourselves now and again
    Thats fair enough. The principal of it. Do you think that maybe the cop had principals when he was doing his job?
    Dont get me wrong. I think the cop was a bit harsh but his principals where right and he was doing his job.
    Im in court meself the start of next year for something small albeit worse than what this thread is about but Im taking it on me chin. I know I was wrong. People keep telling me to say this and do this and it will help my case but I honestly couldnt be bothered. I done wrong and got caught. What Im getting done for happens every day and night. I done it a few times without getting caught but Im owning upto it.
    Way I am is , ya do the crime ya pay the time.
    Just pay the fine and thats the end of it.

Other chap. There is no use going on about this not happening in other countries . We are in ireland not another country.
    Other countries seem to "accept" honour killings. Should we accept that aswell?
    Didnt think so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

foxylad wrote: »

God I cant believe that. I didnt know guards hand out tickets to taxis for that!! john street is definately mental at night but does giving the taxis tickets change anything there, cos they'll still have to line up the next night? Anyway, least we know its not just a once off or a guard on a power trip... fair enough if its regularly patrolled and he just got caught.

Have to say, it is very squashed around that area and theres not many places to park up, especially if you're unloading heavy expensive gear. The rules of the road tend to bend when the streets are full and cars are everywhere, in bus lanes, sitting in car lanes with blinkers on, waiting on yellow lines, its the NORM. Bands play in Masons, Kazbar, Revolution, Rubys Lounge every weekend so unfortunately a double park might be required to get the stuff out safely. Some have back streets or back entrances where a car could pull in, but others dont. The main streets are jammers with drunk people so having to go further than a few metres with amp's/speakers is not worth the risk. I see them do it week in, week out so I know it is not as black and white as some people see it, there are other priorities to consider (however selfish) and I suppose that comes at a cost. Thats the risk that was taken and the price was paid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It sucks to hell but he was in the wrong, fine is 100% legit,
    Sure I could double park or whatever and I could justify it by saying getting old person, have expensive stuff etc etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well this guy was also working in the same way as the taxi drivers were working --its a pity the cops didnt ask them to move out of his way so he could load his gear
    Would that not have been a fairer way of dealing with it???

Its not the Gardai's job to ask the taxi drivers to move for another party, especially if the taxi drivers were not in the wrong...if the Gardai did go and ask the taxi drivers to move then this is a waste of gardai time.

If the van driver was so pushed he should have asked the taxi drivers to move, but he didn't instead he broke the law and appears to assume that because he "has expensive stuff" it makes it ok to break the law.

Reality says otherwise of course and he was in the wrong :)

old boy wrote: »

Common sense changes person to person, what one person thinks is common sense is far from it for another person.,

That is extremely clear in this thread that what people view as common sense differs, this is why we have laws which are voted on and then put in place. :D

Exactly right!! The taxis were in the wrong

seandepaul wrote: »
    I think its completely understandable what you did. You just know some drunken fool would "fall" over your equipment and try and claim you were in the wrong or worse still try rob it.

Are the taxis not parked illegally outside of the Kazbar? Not sure just wondering?

Sure god forbid the cops do any real work. Whilst they were being completely unreasonable there was probably someone getting there head kicked in down the road. But they couldn't be doing real work when there's money to be made!!!

No they will not replace it but its a lot easier for them to fire out a quick fine at 2am in the morning when half the town is off their heads on booze and stuff. Bad decision by this garda big time as the guy was working late at night and causing no breach of the peace, Disgraceful!!!

DarkJager wrote: »
    I know exactly how you see it, I have to move my DJ equipment (well over 1k+) after gigs and there is no way in hell I would risk not having the car outside the venue. Are the gardai going to replace my gear if it gets wrecked by some drunk clown? I think not.

Exactly right!! The taxis were in the wrong

Doesn't really matter if Taxi's were in the wrong, two wrongs do not make a right so the van driver still broke the law by parking where he did :)

• Advertisement

So what you you have done??

Cabaal wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter if Taxi's were in the wrong, two wrongs do not make a right so the van driver still broke the law :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

vixenbees wrote: »
    God I cant believe that. I didnt know guards hand out tickets to taxis for that!! john street is definately mental at night but does giving the taxis tickets change anything there, cos they'll still have to line up the next night? Anyway, least we know its not just a once off or a guard on a power trip... fair enough if its regularly patrolled and he just got caught.

Have to say, it is very squashed around that area and theres not many places to park up, especially if you're unloading heavy expensive gear. The rules of the road tend to bend when the streets are full and cars are everywhere, in bus lanes, sitting in car lanes with blinkers on, waiting on yellow lines, its the NORM. Bands play in Masons, Kazbar, Revolution, Rubys Lounge every weekend so unfortunately a double park might be required to get the stuff out safely. Some have back streets or back entrances where a car could pull in, but others dont. The main streets are jammers with drunk people so having to go further than a few metres with amp's/speakers is not worth the risk. I see them do it week in, week out so I know it is not as black and white as some people see it, there are other priorities to consider (however selfish) and I suppose that comes at a cost. Thats the risk that was taken and the price was paid.

could they not leave the gear till the next morning then? my mates always do this when playing anywhere on John Street, You are safe enough with Ruby Lounge and that but on that street itself it is much easier to leave the gear overnight.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Common sense changes person to person, what one person thinks is common sense is far from it for another person.,

That is extremely clear in this thread that what people view as common sense differs, this is why we have laws which are voted on and then put in place. :D

have you not learned to multi post in all your years here :)

Can you tell me if the van is taxed as Commercial or private Vixenbee ??

Thanx
    Rusty

Morning all, h

Next thing a guard hops out of a paddy wagon and comes stormin over all high and mighty sa
    I know he was breaking the law and in the wrong but it just seems so petty and unneccessary. You'd think they would have given him a chance to move off. And I know they move every few mins but why arent all the taxis that are parked on double yellows not penalised?

Are you kidding kryogen?
    I know someone who had a very bad personal experience doing just that--leaving gear in a pub and had a 3 grand amp nicked.!!
    No way I would say. Any musician who has respect for his gear would never leave it unattended for 5 mins not alone overnight in a bar and then do a double run the next day Makes no sense in my opinion

kryogen wrote: »
    could they not leave the gear till the next morning then? my mates always do this when playing anywhere on John Street, You are safe enough with Ruby Lounge and that but on that street itself it is much easier to leave the gear overnight.

]

its a commercial rusty.

kryogen: thats a good point and they do leave the gear there the nights that they decide to stay out after a gig and have a few pints. when its collected the next day the taxi rank and town in general is quieter so its no hassle parking near the pubs or back into p**s alley :D

It can depend on the pub too, sometimes if they have stuff going on the next day, they'll want the gear out asap (on the night preferably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Garda seemed to be flexing his might there a bit too much.

Thats a good point--its a commercial van--and i would imagine being used for work yes??

There ya go then--tell it to the judge
    It would be different if it was a family car being used to pick up the family after a few scoops at 2 am in the morning but this poor guy did NOT leave the vehicle unattended--was NOT causing a breach of the peace and was NOT causing a traffic jam. However he WAS using it in the course of his job and even then it was only going to be for a few minutes

No judge worth his salt will make him pay a fine

And yes he IS entitled to represent himself if he wants to

its a commercial rusty.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

None of yee have met Judge Hartnett I presume? This will not end well for the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you are allowed to park on double yellow lines if you are unloading for no more than 30 minutes.. http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/8342-0.pdf page 72

So you could get it thrown out if you want.. but maybe they could argue you were on the path..

Also teh fine is 40 euro

• Advertisement

hes probably not going to take it to court, it was just a suggestion in a previous post that I was curious about. he knows he was in the wrong, just felt a bit hard done by is all given the circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement