Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Donoghue will stand again for election

• 10-10-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

What ****ing planet is this guy on and who does he think he is?
    A former Fianna Fáil TD for Kerry South has said the outgoing Ceann Comhairle, John O'Donoghue, will stand for re-election in the constituency at the next election.

Mr O'Donoghue will resign his position as Ceann Comhairle on Tuesday because of the controversy over expenses.

Speaking to RTÉ's News at One, John O'Leary said Mr O'Donoghue indicated his intention to stand again in Kerry South yesterday.

He said Mr O'Donoghue was going to let it up to the people of South Kerry to decide whether it is right to get him out of office without a hearing

Whether it was right to get him out of office? After his extravagant Rockefella lifestyle at our ****ing expense, and flying his wife around on internal flights -AT OUR EXPENSE? Get the **** out and don't ever come back Johnny. It doesn't matter what people of Kerry have to say about it you greedy clown, the people of Ireland don't want to see you again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

DarkJager wrote: »
    Whether it was right to get him out of office? After his extravagant Rockefella lifestyle at our ****ing expense, and flying his wife around on internal flights -AT OUR EXPENSE? Get the **** out and don't ever come back Johnny. It doesn't matter what people of Kerry have to say about it you greedy clown, the people of Ireland don't want to see you again.

It is up to the people of Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He got a lot of grants for Kerry sporting organizations
    And when he was Minister for Justice it was noted that the Prison Visiting Committee had a large proportion of Kerry member
    Jobs for the boys!

If you had a TD who know how to look after your area, you might support them too and overlook everything else

Look who tops the poll in Tipperary North everytime ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm from Kerry originally - although I've never voted Fianna Fail in my life. He'll get in too because he's done a lot for the locality.

If the Flynns can get re-elected and make their way back into the party fold ANYTHING is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

That's the problem with allowing Ministers/Holders of Office use their postition to buy influence in their local communities. Look at the proposed closures of Dept of Agriculture Offices - unobjectionable in itself given the reduced workload - but how can it be right that the only offices that are "sacrosanct" are those in the Taoiseach's and Minister for Agriculture's area of the country.

Instead of looking at where the best value in economic and social terms for cuts/decentralisation/whatever is to be found, we look at where the person in charge of handing out the money is based. And thus allow them use taxpayers' money to "buy" their seats.

And there's no denying J O'D has done much for his constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What ****ing planet is this guy on and who does he think he is?

He's on planet Earth. What planet the voters of Kerry are on, is what we should be wondering about it, because he's bound to get in.

He knows what he's doing, even if he doesn't care who immoral it is.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

AKK wrote: »
    And there's no denying J O'D has done much for his constituency.

Lets say you've done so much for a company, but you then get caught using MASSIVE amounts of their money to fund your entertainment. Would you be remembered as the good guy, or the scumbag?

Lets say you've done so much for a company, but you then get caught using MASSIVE amounts of their money to fund your entertainment. Would you be remembered as the good guy, or the scumbag?

Oh believe me - I'm very much in the J O'D is a pompous buffoon camp who should have been thrown out of office. I'm just saying that he has done much for the local area - and people tend to put their own interests first. And to take your analagy further - you couldn't even say J O'D did good for the "company" - rather a certain department of the "company" benefitted - and that dept would remember the good done rather than the harm done else where.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

as Ceann Comhairle doesnt he get reelected automatically anyway?

kearnsr wrote: »

Surely not?

If the Greens pull the plug this weekend he does, as the outgoing Ceann Comhairle. Otherwise, from next Tuesday on - he's a T.D. who must contest the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If the Greens pull the plug this weekend he does, as the outgoing Ceann Comhairle. Otherwise, from next Tuesday on - he's a T.D. who must contest the next election.

So if he resigns he goes down?

So if he resigns he goes down?

Well my understanding of it is that he postponed his stepping down from the Ceann Comhairle's office until next Tuesday so that in the event of the Govt collapsing over the weekend, he will automatically retain his seat as the incumbent Ceann Comhairle. By resigning, he becomes an 'ordinary' T.D. once more and must stand for re-election like all the others.

Well my understanding of it is that he postponed his stepping down from the Ceann Comhairle's office until next Tuesday so that in the event of the Govt collapsing over the weekend, he will automatically retain his seat as the incumbent Ceann Comhairle. By resigning, he becomes an 'ordinary' T.D. once more and must stand for re-election like all the others.

Wasn't the start of his downfall a vote of no confidence by Labour? Surely with them still in action he cannot be allowed to retain his position, regardless of what the tree huggers do this weekend?

Wasn't the start of his downfall a vote of no confidence by Labour? Surely with them still in action he cannot be allowed to retain his position, regardless of what the tree huggers do this weekend?

Perhaps - I'm not entirely sure. Maybe someone better informed than I would know more. In the real world of course he should have been frog-marched out the doors of the Dail immediately when the scandal broke - but in our Mickey Mouse land he'll no doubt be well compensated whatever happens. :rolleyes:

Perhaps - I'm not entirely sure. Maybe someone better informed than I would know more. In the real world of course he should have been frog-marched out the doors of the Dail immediately when the scandal broke - but in our Mickey Mouse land he'll no doubt be well compensated whatever happens. :rolleyes:

You mean like what happened in England in their expenses scandal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 MKMaguire

Why all the fuss ... good luck to J.O'D and friends for taking what they can get ... WE elected them all, yes WE!

Poor J.O'D, not an easy decision. If he goes for reelection and, of course gets in with help from Kerry folk, as a TD his salary/expenses will be that of those other 'underpaid' TD's. However if he resigns his seat as TD, he will get a selection of pensions, ie. Ceann Comhairle, exMinister plus exTD. Added together these will exceed what he would get staying in Dail!

What is the point, if serious, of electing your local TD. Our family discuss the merits of each and tend to make a collective decision. At last election we did this, however our chosen one, on every important vote since, just followed the party line. So the idea of electing a local TD, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's Irish politics. Think Lowry. Think BCF.

Apart from the not-insignificant amount of people that will actually doff their caps to people who look after number one - as long as he continues to "look after da parish/town/constituency" I'm sure nobody will care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

stovelid wrote: »

Apart from the not-insignificant amount of people that will actually doff their caps to people who look after number one - as long as he continues to "look after da parish/town/constituency" I'm sure nobody will care.

Theres that and the fevorish loyalty that political parties command in Ireland. (more so in the older generation)
    I was discussing JOD with my father whos a lifelong staunch Fianna Failer, and I practically got him to say "sure fair play to him, hes done alot for the country and he deserves good hotels and limos!"

I mean, theres no argueing with myopia like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I hope he gets re-elected because I think we deserve him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

What Lowry, the Flynns and now O'Donoghue (he'll get back in no problem) prove is the Irish have no backbone.

As long as you throw them the odd sweet they'll roll over and do what they are told.

The only time any of us protest now is, a la taxi drivers and farmers, on a complete self-interest basis.

If NAMA happened in France they'd be ripping up the cobblestones on the streets of Paris and shagging them through bank office windows.

We have become pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

How Many Votes will he top the poll by?

DaveSlats wrote: »
    What Lowry, the Flynns and now O'Donoghue (he'll get back in no problem) prove is the Irish have no backbone.

As long as you throw them the odd sweet they'll roll over and do what they are told.

The only time any of us protest now is, a la taxi drivers and farmers, on a complete self-interest basis.

If NAMA happened in France they'd be ripping up the cobblestones on the streets of Paris and shagging them through bank office windows.

We have become pathetic.

Irish people want and deserve to get robbed. Plain and simple.

It's their fault the likes of John O'Donoghue are in office in the first place. I doubt they'll ever get sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

The state of boggers at the best of times. I could never really understand them.

But if they vote this tool in, then my decision to completely disengage with "rural" Ireland will have been vindicated forever :P

tallaght01 wrote: »
    The state of boggers at the best of times. I could never really understand them.

But if they vote this tool in, then my decision to completely disengage with "rural" Ireland will have been vindicated forever :P

It wouldnt surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »

"Arra shur (s)he's a complaite legend - wudn't ya have done the same yourself" etc...

The popularity of BCF and "Pee" in Mayo doesn't seem to have waned. To be fair to O'Donoghue, if a bunch of tools back him, it's them I personally would have more of a problem with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yes, the people of Kerry will be voting Jackie Healy Rae and J O'D back in after the next election, two of the finest Parish Politicians in the country.

People of Kerry, when these people call to your door, ask them about what they're going to do for the country and not who they'll get to fix the pothole down the road or remove the tree from the field beside you because it blocks the sun's view in the evening!?

You bore the brunt of the Kerryman jokes in years gone by. Do you want this to happen again?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

tallaght01 wrote: »

And who, pray tell, consistently re-elected that arch scumbag Patrick Bartholomew Ahern? And Liam Aloysius Lawlor? And Charles James Haughey? and Raphael Patrick Burke?

All Dublin TDs, as a matter of record. That's just the start.

Electing people who look after your "village" is an Irish thing, not simply a culchie thing. In my experience the biggest "village" in Ireland is in south-east Dublin where everybody knows or has a connection to everybody else. They do favours for friends, or friends of friends who live near them. This reality is rarely if ever given the light of day - an exception is the Brian Murphy trial where all the south Dublin kids got off but the Monaghan kid was jailed. Where are the vast majority of judges from? And barristers? And PR people? And journalists? Dublin 4 is not just a mentality; it's a village that stretches along the south-east coast where they look after each other. This is reality in 2009.

Certain people in Dublin are living under an illusion about how parochial and clannish even the most "liberal" parts of south-east Dublin are in reality.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    And who, pray tell, consistently re-elected that arch scumbag Patrick Bartholomew Ahern? And Liam Aloysius Lawlor? And Charles James Haughey? and Raphael Patrick Burke?

Electing people who look after your "village" is an Irish thing, not simply a culchie thing. In my experience the biggest "village" in Ireland is in south-east Dublin where everybody knows or has a connection to everybody else. They do favours for friends, or friends of friends who live near them. This reality is rarely if ever given the light of day - an exception is the Brian Murphy trial where all the south Dublin kids got off but the Monaghan kid was jailed. Where are the vast majority of judges from? And barristers? And PR people? And journalists? Dublin 4 is not just a mentality; it's a village that stretches along the south-east coast where they look after each other. This is reality in 2009.

Certain people in Dublin are living under an illusion about how parochial and clannish even the most "liberal" parts of south-east Dublin are in reality.

Stroke politics. Simply put. It's a nationwide phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rebelheart wrote: »

Haughey was a legend... leave him out of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement