Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Phones in Ireland.

• 10-10-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Anyone using android phone over here? Wonder which operator are you using. Can use skype?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Magoo

Bought a HTC Hero the other day. Very impressed so far. Using it on Meteor. Haven't tried Skype on it yet - must have a look through the Market (Android App Store) and see what's on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

Do you have to unlock the phone? Can you use all the features of the phone? compass, android app. market, google map and etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dromineer

I got an HTC Hero, which is Android-based... From my knowledge.. these phones do come unlocked, and yes.. all the applications are working just fine, including compass, maps, and weather which automatically detects my location and gives me the current weather pattern. My facebook, twitter and flickr apps work like a charm.. The only problem I am having is my skype.. dunno what is going wrong.. It could be something I am doing wrong as I cannot connect to it.. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Ditto. HTC hero and all apps working GREAT - Anyone try the Google voice search? Really nice.

Haven't tried skype so don't know.
    Dromineer wrote: »
    I got an HTC Hero, which is Android-based... From my knowledge.. these phones do come unlocked, and yes.. all the applications are working just fine, including compass, maps, and weather which automatically detects my location and gives me the current weather pattern. My facebook, twitter and flickr apps work like a charm.. The only problem I am having is my skype.. dunno what is going wrong.. It could be something I am doing wrong as I cannot connect to it.. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dromineer

elderlemon wrote: »
    Ditto. HTC hero and all apps working GREAT - Anyone try the Google voice search? Really nice.

Haven't tried skype so don't know.

Google Voice search? :eek: oh.. sounds awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just done a Google voice search for this forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Coming home in the car last night and the kids were hungry - push the button, said "pizza" and up pops the nearest pizza places. Click on show on map and get directions and bingo! Great.
    Dromineer wrote: »
    Google Voice search? :eek: oh.. sounds awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Meteor are about to release the HTC Hero officially (on November 1st), meaning a) they will guarantee it will work completely and b) it will be cheaper, and you won't have to buy it for full price (unless you want it PAYG, but there may be special PAYG data bundles).

To my knowledge, the HTC Hero is the only Android phone officially available from Irish carriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phantom555

Where did ye guys buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

elderlemon wrote: »
    Coming home in the car last night and the kids were hungry - push the button, said "pizza" and up pops the nearest pizza places. Click on show on map and get directions and bingo! Great.

You're talking about Google maps, yeah?
    Anyone know what 3rd party satnav apps Android supports.
    Are Tomtom navigator, Copilot, Garmin XT, Route 66 etc supported?

I was thinking about the HTC Hero (given that it has proper GPS).

Even though it lacks a hardware qwerty. :mad:
    Any Android devices with similar specs but with a hardware qwerty?

And what's the freeware situation for Android.
    Can you get decent freeware for this OS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

mkennedy wrote: »
    You're talking about Google maps, yeah?
    Anyone know what 3rd party satnav apps Android supports.
    Are Tomtom navigator, Copilot, Garmin XT, Route 66 etc supported?

I was thinking about the HTC Hero (given that it has proper GPS).

Even though it lacks a hardware qwerty. :mad:
    Any Android devices with similar specs but with a hardware qwerty?

And what's the freeware situation for Android.
    Can you get decent freeware for this OS?

I believe the lads on here use CoPilot, though I use my dedicated Sat Nav as I don't have an in car mount or charger.

The G1+Magic, though they are much inferior phones in every other respect. Plethora of Android phones to be released soon, take a look at phonearena.com.

The bulk of Apps are free in line with the "Open community" vibe that Android has. With an Irish carrier releasing an Andoird phone soon, I'd expect paid Apps sans Market Enabler to be available soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cwjcwjcwj

HTC hero is awesome, especially sense UI. But the outlook is not my cup of tea. Might go for HTC tattoo...

Advertisement