Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating circulating pump problem

Options
  • 10-10-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a kerosene room stove with two pots running 8 rads. It worked great Efel brand. The circulating pump was replaced last year after failing. Problem is pump works ok when the stove is warming up rads get warm, when stove is fully hot downstairs rads get cold. I've checked thermostat, it turns pump on/off when stove is hot, and I have bled the pump in situ. Have I a faulty pump that fails when water is hot ?. Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

typerated wrote: »
    I have a kerosene room stove with two pots running 8 rads. It worked great Efel brand. The circulating pump was replaced last year after failing. Problem is pump works ok when the stove is warming up rads get warm, when stove is fully hot downstairs rads get cold. I've checked thermostat, it turns pump on/off when stove is hot, and I have bled the pump in situ. Have I a faulty pump that fails when water is hot ?. Any help greatly appreciated.

First question is, is the pump actually running? You should be able to feel the slight murmer from it when it is, or use the old trick of pressing a screwdriver against it and pressing your ear against the driver handle end (it acts like a stethoscope) although that only tells you the motor is running. Doesn't mean the impeller is. If it is running, is it set to its minimum setting? If it is, turn it up a notch. Third possibility, your radiators need to be balanced -- close in the return valves on all the upstairs rads until the downstairs ones get heat.

I have come across situations where natural circulation (heat rises) caused higher level rads to heat when the pump wasn't running, but it's not very common.

By the sound of it I would guess a mix of radiator imbalance and a pump on the wrong setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 typerated

Hi ART6, yes the pump is running and is set at the highest level, I think you may be right about the impeller though. there is absolutely no circulation down stairs at any setting, I think I will buy a new pump and call the plumber back to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

typerated wrote: »

Sounds like the thermostat is turning the pump off when the boiler heats up.
    Are we talking about a room stat or a pipe stat - is it on the wall or strapped onto a water pipe ?
    It could happen, but it is not likely that the impeller only jams some of the time.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

JamesM wrote: »
    Sounds like the thermostat is turning the pump off when the boiler heats up.
    Are we talking about a room stat or a pipe stat - is it on the wall or strapped onto a water pipe ?
    It could happen, but it is not likely that the impeller only only jams some of the time.
    Jim.

Would it be possible that some crud in the system is causing the pump to lock up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Would it be possible that some crud in the system is causing the pump to lock up?

Dirt can cause the pump to stick.
    Just looked at OP's 2 posts - in one he says that the rads heat sometimes, in the other he says that they never heat, so not sure what's going on.
    Jim

• Advertisement
Advertisement