Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Pizza - ideas pleeease?

Options
  • 10-10-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Ireland v Italy footy is on tonight. I am going over to a mate's and am going to do a pizza and beer night. My friend is vegetarian, can i have some ideas please? I am clueless.
    Looking for toppings ideas for the veggie toppings, and maybe side nibbles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Have a look at delivery pizza menus?

My fave one to make at home is sweetcorn, mixed peppers and pineapple. Nyom! :D
    Plain cheese is good too when I'm lazy.

Nice vegetarian side dishes are spring rolls, garlic bread, wedges and dips, deep fried breaded cheese, onion rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I like a nice veggie pizza myself. One option is the usual tomato sauce and then add some roasted vegetables on top. Depending on your personal taste - add a pile of chopped vegetables to a roasting dish, spritz with olive oil, season with rock salt and black pepper, and roast at 180 for 30 mins, or until tender and just beginning to char. I like to use onions, red peppers and lots of whole cloves of garlic (think 10 - 12 per pizza). Top your tomato sauce with these babies, then top those with mozzarella, and bake til everything is bubble and golden brown. Add back pepper and some grated Parmesan and away you go.

A really nice other veggie pizza is baby spinach, goats cheese and caramelised onions. (Forget the tomato sauce.) Some people prefer blue cheese, but I am not a big blue cheese fan.

Slice a couple of large onions into thick rings. Fry on a medium heat with a glug of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Add a tablespoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of chilli powder. Fry until golden brown and syrupy. This can take about 30 minutes.

Toss your onions with a good handful of baby spinach, coating the spinach in all the lovely syrupyness of the onions. Spread this over your pizza base. Cut a log (or half a log) of creamy goats cheese into cubes and scatter over the pizza. Bake til your base is risen and everything is melty and yum. Top with black pepper and eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

excellent idea Lil Kitten, the simplest ideas the best! :-)
    And THAT last one Neuro sounds divine! Goats cheese, yumm!!
    Thanks so much for sharing that! :-)

Any ideas for nibbles, or you thinkt the pizza is enough? We are both good eaters!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

Sweetcorn + Mixed peppers is legend together,

Reggae Reggae sauce is delicious for a dip

To make it more 'Night in'ish you could go to Dominos or something and pick up some dips on the cheap.

Lidl do these chilli's stuffed with feta cheese which is delicious on a pizza. They are usually down the back of the shop to the left beside the cheese and milk / anti pasta stuff. I'd seriously recommend that if you like hot stuff! Mind you they aren't actually that hot..

A shared pizza + A selfsies 3 in 1 from the chinese is amazin :D

Ooh think I know what i'm having tonight ^__^

Any ideas for nibbles, or you thinkt the pizza is enough? We are both good eaters!!!

If you'll be at the table, a good crisp salad with some tomatoes would be nice. If you're more vegging out in front of the tv I'd say go for some wedges and dips.

Or make your own patatas bravas - amazing! Cube some spuds (about the size of a dice) and deep fry or bake until golden. Top with a home-made tomato sauce - canned tomatoes, cooked with finely chopped onion, garlic and chilli, with a little salt, pepper and sugar. Then top this with some garlic mayo. Yum.

Have a fun night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

honey roasted squash&sweet potato,toasted pinenuts,kalamata olive,sun dried tomato and feta with mint is really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thankyou thankyou thankyou all! really appreciate the ideas!

Well what did you make in the end? And how did it go down?

Advertisement