Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"..." is not a valid windows image

• 10-10-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend who recently had a power cut. Ever since the power cut (3/4 days ago) when he starts up windows he is met by multiple messages saying

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\... .dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation disk."

... is in replace of the DLL name

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and/or what needs to be done to fix it?
    I haven't tried the installation disk in case i make it worse for him.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Interesting problem... ...In all my years of being the PC family handyman, I think I've only heard that error message once. Which OS is it? - XP? Get a list of the DLL's that the OS is having issues with and try to get them from your Windows CD, and then just copy them across. I find that usually solves such problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it it actually says ... then just do a system restore.

there is no point waisting time trying to fix a potentially corrupt registry only to find out later other parts of it were also corrupt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

hmmm...maybe it's a corrupt Master File Table (MFT) instead? You could try to re-index the disk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Would be a good idea to give the full file path

Sounds like malware to me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

It could be any number of problems. As someone else has said, you will need to give us the full path, up to and including the name of the dll file.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Would be a good idea to give the full file path

Sounds like malware to me though

Ya, me too. Seen it a few times. not good if its the one im thinking off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Can u log in after that message appears?

if so, you could try run

sfc /scannow

it'll probably need the windows cd but it checks all the windows files are matching the originals

Advertisement