Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're saved...

Options
  • 10-10-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Thank god for that. I've just read the new 'Programme for Government'. Everything will be alright....

err..are the people who drafted this document serious?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1010/programme.pdf

Does anyone else think this is like something my 7 year old would draw up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

a program to save the economy ?

surely that'll cost even more unnecessary money up the swanny ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

robbie_998 wrote: »
    a program to save the economy ?

surely that'll cost even more unnecessary money up the swanny ?

sure its ok, we will make it back on NAMA.

please .... will someone just start shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Tourism
    · We will develop the potential for “Food Tourism”, starting with “food trails” and
    the provision of food in public houses particularly in rural areas.

This is a truly revolutionary PFG and one which I feel will ensure that the Republic of Ireland shall rise,Phoenix Like,from the ashes of self-destruction.

Thankfully the stability brought to the Irish Political scene will therefore allow some further eminent personages to assume the entitlement to an Oireachtas Ministerial Pension....I suggest a robust response from the populace.....Three Cheers perhaps...as Kevin Myers might say....."Huzzah,Huzzah,Huzzah !!"

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I decided to inform myself and read it, but considering the very first paragraph is a lie,
    Fianna Fáil and the Green Party have worked well together over the
    past two years providing good government for country during a
    period of unprecedented global economic turmoil.

And what's with "....providing good government for country....." ? Looks like we need those extra teachers after all!!
    few foresaw that record levels of economic growth were coming to an end

Lie!
    Our banks must reconfigure and reform

....but we'll make sure that it's not in the necessary legislation, even while we give them billions that we don't have.
    Any wrongdoing will be uncovered by the institutions of the state and brought to its logical conclusion

....the logical conclusion being paying them off handsomely, including pensions
    Government will support families having difficulties with their mortgage payments.

Really ? How ? Any details ? Oh, hang on - there are none!
    Credit to Irish business will be guaranteed

Again, why isn't this statement backed up in the NAMA legislation ?
    investing in retraining those who have lost jobs

They don't need "retraining"; they need jobs!
    Taxation

We'll introduce some more stealth taxes; this might be fair if there were less-polluting choices with no tax, but of course there aren't.
    We will take on 1,000 Third and Fourth level graduates to provide additional capacity and skills across the public service

WHAT ????? THEY'RE PROPOSING TO ADD TO THE PUBLIC SERVICE ?????
    We will deliver 100MBs for all second-level schools by 2012

Including the rural ones ? At least kids will have something to look at while they figure out how to wipe their arses due to having no loo roll.
    Re NAMA & Banking; The purpose of this programme of activity is not to benefit bankers or major borrowers

Odd that they find the need to spin this line; I guess they're afraid that the voters today haven't believed them up to now ?
    the Government .... have taken considerable steps within the proposed NAMA legislation to mitigate and control risks and ensure the best possible return for the taxpayer.

Apart, of course, from actually putting the required guarantees into legislation, or paying a fair price for the stuff in the first place.

Anyway, I could go on, but I'd bore myself and everyone else here.

The document looks like it was thrown together by a kindergarten class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It's truly frightening that this is supposed to be a document of serious importance. The FF scribes who drew this up must have been killing themselves laughing that the Green Party could be fobbed off by this. Is there anything 'concrete' in this document or is it a list of vague aspirations (again)?

I just hope some Greens are reading this and they wake up from their delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Woooohoooo!!!! - It's fcukin' brilliant and will solve all our problems - now we can vote for NAMA.

Yours truly:

Mickey the Mink, Sam the Stag and Billy the Badger.

P.S. - see all you people who make a wage from the fur industry - we say fcuk you and the trifling fact that you have families to support. We also say fcuk you to to people who need cars to get places or coal to keep warm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

PFG wrote:

The time for crisis management is over. Now we must set about re-creating the Republic.

Really? Does that mean that no further steps are required to manage the banking crisis? Is this an admission that NAMA is no longer required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

As political leaders we have responsibility to lead by example. We are mindful of our
    role, first and foremost, as servants of the people. We need to start a process of
    radical reform of our democratic structures so that the highest standards apply and
    they are truly representative

I wish they would..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Long Onion wrote: »
    Woooohoooo!!!! - It's fcukin' brilliant and will solve all our problems - now we can vote for NAMA.

Yours truly:

Mickey the Mink, Sam the Stag and Billy the Badger.

P.S. - see all you people who make a wage from the fur industry - we say fcuk you and the trifling fact that you have families to support. We also say fcuk you to to people who need cars to get places or coal to keep warm.
    I'm very pro-environment. That said, the way it's being mishandled by our government is laughable.

The poor eejits who thought they could make and sell biofuels are still waiting for a decision on how their industry is to be legislated, 6 years after a decision was supposed to be made.

The value of every grant for solar panels and the like has immediately been added to the price of the same equipment by the suppliers, negating any potential benefit. Somehow the government think that's ok.

Now they want to start taxing the balls off everybody for polluting, without there being an economically viable alternative in place yet. And as for the ESB and their innovative, "Ah sure, we'll keep burning turf til it's all gone" approach, don't get me started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

its amazing

a program made by the government, for the government, run by the government. :rolleyes:

would we be albe to vote who we see on it ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

"A site valuation tax and water rates, agreed by Fianna Fáil and the Green Party in the renewed Programme for Government, will not be introduced in the “short term” the Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said today." (The Irish Times)

In other words: " They're not called 'green' for nothing. They signed themselves in and we won't bother implementing anything and if we do we can blame them. Result. Now I must dash, the Govt. jet has it's engines running to take me to Louth".

All new taxes will get blamed on the Greens and FF will say that they fought valiantly to protect us from those nasty people. The masters of electoral 'strokes' do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The Greens and FF just betrayed the Irish electorate - again!:mad::mad:

I hope that same electorate remembers that in two years time.

Here's a novel thought - we could have protests demanding that our political parties stop wasting money on spin doctors, who tell us lies - and use our money to do it!!:mad:

For the people, by the people, and with the people - or maybe that should read "For the mugs.........

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Noreen1 wrote: »
    The Greens and FF just betrayed the Irish electorate - again!:mad::mad:

I hope that same electorate remembers that in two years time.

Here's a novel thought - we could have protests demanding that our political parties stop wasting money on spin doctors, who tell us lies - and use our money to do it!!:mad:

For the people, by the people, and with the people - or maybe that should read "For the mugs.........

Noreen

I have an awful feeling that in two years time FF will be voted back in.

There won't be any protests. It needs anger to start a protest - like the Pensioners when their medical cards were threatened. I think most people are more apathetic than angry and just accept what the government is doing because they feel that nothing they can do will make any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

ghost_ie wrote: »
    I have an awful feeling that in two years time FF will be voted back in.

There won't be any protests. It needs anger to start a protest - like the Pensioners when their medical cards were threatened. I think most people are more apathetic than angry and just accept what the government is doing because they feel that nothing they can do will make any difference

Agreed. There also seems to be a feeling that there is no real alternative, coupled with a very real fear that if the necessary steps are taken, people will lose their homes etc.
    The reality is, no matter which party governs now, we are all going to suffer for some time to come :(:(.

As someone who does live within my means (by no means extensive) - it really ticks me off that I (and my children) have to suffer for the excessive greed of the minority. So, I personally am not apathetic, I'm angry..... but I'm still stuck with the decisions being made by a government that the majority of people no longer want.

Noreen

Advertisement