Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the Destinys FTL *spoiler*

• 10-10-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Ok, so the Destiny has a FTL and not hyperspace drive. So howcome the ship is so old on the inside. In a ep of Stargate Atlantis they find an Ancient ship travailing at light speed or near to it. They have only aged a few days or months. How come the same didn't happen for the Destiny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Destiny was launched WAAAAAAYYYY before Atlantis was created

actually thats one thing that annoyed me about Atlantis for something that lie there unused for thousands of years it was all nice and spotless inside

anyways the answer is in your question, the ship is not traveling at light speeds, its going faster than light, but not thru hyperspace like later ships

call it warp if you may :D

i think when the focus in stargate shifted from gate traveling to ship traveling thats when it went down the drain, thankfully Universe pays more attention to the gate as ep3 shown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, faster than light, but not hyperspace, so no time-dilation to get in the way. Maybe we'll find out more about how it works as the series progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,628 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sutty wrote: »
    Ok, so the Destiny has a FTL and not hyperspace drive. So howcome the ship is so old on the inside. In a ep of Stargate Atlantis they find an Ancient ship travailing at light speed or near to it. They have only aged a few days or months. How come the same didn't happen for the Destiny?
    The ship found at midway was running at near-light speed running off of sublight engines.

Hyperspace eliminates time dilation.

Whatever Destiny uses must also do the same. Hence the hyperspace-ish surroundings of the ship when it is in FTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

and of course destiny stops every twenty minutes to poop out a gate, so it spends a lot of time at speeds which suffer little or no relativistic effects.

even if its a 1/100th of its total lifetime, over the 100 000 years its supposed to have been arseing about the universe thats still 1000 years in regular temporal passage. how many thousand year old anythings are still working in real life?

mawk wrote: »
    and of course destiny stops every twenty minutes to poop out a gate, so it spends a lot of time at speeds which suffer little or no relativistic effects.

even if its a 1/100th of its total lifetime, over the 100 000 years its supposed to have been arseing about the universe thats still 1000 years in regular temporal passage. how many thousand year old anythings are still working in real life?
    No, Destiny does not poop gates. Lets be very clear on that. There are other ships that were sent ahead of Destiny that plant the gates. Hence why Destiny approached a planet out in the far reaches that - shocker - already had a gate on it.

Those other ships probably use a true hyperspace to go much faster than the destiny. Destiny's role was to receive passengers from Earth at some point in the future of the experiment, and to pool data gathered from the other ships that have been seeding gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

they were traveling at near light speed as there FTL or Hyperdrive was broke during a fight,

the destiny and its sister ship were sent out hundreds of years apart, from what i make of it, you have the factory gate ship which has loads of probes to scan for viable planets, and gathers the raw material builds a gate and plops in on a planet, then maybe a hundred years later another ship arrives at the same planet, scans the planet for life and other life needing resources, it then relays its information to destiny, so when destiny needs raw material it knows where to get it,

my question is, why are the new planet gates so much similar to destiny in the fact that they spin yet dont have the steam ducts destiny has, destiny has an orignal if not experimental gate, and these gates are exactly like them, yet have no steam and no DHD, so no steam means they must have been updated, and no DHD would also say they have been updated, yet milky way gates have no steam and have DHDs, pegasus gates have lights and the space gates have no DHDs, so ancients must have went to some ship to input a new gate design, so far weve been in 3 galaxys with 5 different variations of stargates, probably 5 galaxies when you include the ORI and ASGUARD, who had normal milkyway gates

More likely the gate dissipates a lot of heat which is rarely a problem for a planetside gate. inside of destiny, flush-heating (steam/coolant vents) would help greatly.

The original gate at SGC had this same feature built into its enclosure: liquid coolant was pumped around the gate from the points where it was hooked into the base's power grid. 36 Seconds into video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sg4oZQyBeE&feature=player_embedded

Overheal wrote: »
    More likely the gate dissipates a lot of heat which is rarely a problem for a planetside gate. inside of destiny, flush-heating (steam/coolant vents) would help greatly.

The original gate at SGC had this same feature built into its enclosure: liquid coolant was pumped around the gate from the points where it was hooked into the base's power grid. 36 Seconds into video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sg4oZQyBeE&feature=player_embedded
    never really though of that, but why no DHDs (how do the indiginus people use the gate with no remote) and why multiple designs, i always thought pegasus gates lit up as they were newer model stargates, but seeing as destiny seeded pegasus shouldnt all later gates be similar to pegasus gates, somone must have altered the gate design, but at the same time changed the gate on destiny,

id like to know which gate is the original gate, i would say detinys gate is the newest (given more though as i said earlier it was experimental), as its the same gate thats on the most recently seeded planets, its to hard to tell, this should be explained,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I thought it went that the Milkyway gates (Analog v1) where the first incarnation of the gate system. Then they sent out the Destiny and her sister ships with the SGU gate system (v1.1). After that, they built Atlantis and and the new type digital gates(v2).

As for steam and cooling, I'm thinking that thats not steam but compressed oxygen (air) to make sure the gate room is pressurised when people exit the gate. You'll see at the end of the pilot/second ep that when the Destiny dials the Desert planet, there is no venting. Which only suggests its on inbound wormholes

On the Earth gate, the cooling is liquid nitrogen, remember seeing canisters of it before and Sam saying it.. just cant remember the ep. But its not for the gate, its for the Earth's power capacitors (the red blocks on the out side of the gate). Gates dont need cooling....

The lack of DHD'd are interesting, unless it was just a gate that was missing one. Not be the first time. I always thought the space gates in SGA was due to the wraiths moving the gates so people couldn't use them to get at the wraths when they hibernated. Which is something that always bugged me about SGA, how did the races with out a malp know if it was a space gate or not. As well as how did the SGA team know... they would have lost a malp each time... Which was something they only seemed to go though with 1 of and always had them for the first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Perhaps there are no DHD's because it was meant for Ancient use only for exloration and the likes?

• Advertisement

I thought it went that the Milkyway gates (Analog v1) where the first incarnation of the gate system. Then they sent out the Destiny and her sister ships with the SGU gate system (v1.1). After that, they built Atlantis and and the new type digital gates(v2).

but destiny seeded pegasus we saw it on the map, destiny originated in the milky way, pegasus to my knowledge is neighbouring our galaxy
    As for steam and cooling, I'm thinking that thats not steam but compressed oxygen (air) to make sure the gate room is pressurised when people exit the gate. You'll see at the end of the pilot/second ep that when the Destiny dials the Desert planet, there is no venting. Which only suggests its on inbound wormholes

makes sense

The lack of DHD'd are interesting, unless it was just a gate that was missing one. Not be the first time. I always thought the space gates in SGA was due to the wraiths moving the gates so people couldn't use them to get at the wraths when they hibernated. Which is something that always bugged me about SGA, how did the races with out a malp know if it was a space gate or not. As well as how did the SGA team know... they would have lost a malp each time... Which was something they only seemed to go though with 1 of and always had them for the first season.

but why earth, plus i think the ancients put the gates in space, most likely to limit the wraiths movements at first, plus they had the puddle jumpers, so no need for planet gates, and remember when sheppard tried it on with the ascended one, she was protecting that planet for thousands of years so there was no way the wraith could have moved that gate

don ramo wrote: »
    never really though of that, but why no DHDs (how do the indiginus people use the gate with no remote) and why multiple designs, i always thought pegasus gates lit up as they were newer model stargates, but seeing as destiny seeded pegasus shouldnt all later gates be similar to pegasus gates, somone must have altered the gate design, but at the same time changed the gate on destiny,

id like to know which gate is the original gate, i would say detinys gate is the newest (given more though as i said earlier it was experimental), as its the same gate thats on the most recently seeded planets, its to hard to tell, this should be explained,
    I gather Destiny's is the newest gate.

The Pegasus system was no doubt seeded by an assembly ship long before Destiny's construction or design were complete. Pegasus was the Prototype. The Assembly ship may have simply returned or went to standby when it was done there. At that point Destiny would have been finished and the Assembly ship would have been refitted/redesigned with 3.0 gates in mind. Destiny would have made its maiden voyage across Pegasus to shake down the key systems. This explains why it went there.

Theres nothing to say though how experimental the gate is. When Eli shoves his hand in the puddle the gate was only active for 3-4 minutes at that point. When a Puddle Jumper got stuck in one, it was approaching 38 minutes. Destiny was also the Answer gate not the Dial gate: the Answer gate cannot force a shutoff. We've seen this countless times, it was a common Snake Tactic.

Why no DHDs? The Wraith. And any number of other species that the Ancients wanted to forbid access to the gate system. DHDs were indiscriminate and let anyone through. Now you need a Kino/Kino Pad. All of these techs (including Pegasus DHDs) would have been pre-gene tech. Atlantis was the Ancient's latest project and was full of the gene stuff. Im sure the Pegasus gate system is much older than that.

Hmmm... looks like the Destiny is the first gate system..

linky

thats one samp of logic i suppose. id like to see an interview with deLuise or something to actually clear it up. I still stand behind my DHD summation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

in the 4th episode they mention that Destiny is

"better part of a million years old"

that puts it well before Atlantis being created

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    in the 4th episode they mention that Destiny is

"better part of a million years old"

that puts it well before Atlantis being created

No it dosent. If you watch the first episode of Atlantis it says on the screen several million years ago on the screen before we see atlantis leave earth

However we also know from Darkness, that Destiny definitely pre-dates Gene-Screening tech. The Chair and other Technologies that Atlantis uses rely heavilly on Gene Tech. Its very safe to assume that Destiny is much older.

Of course by the same logic, Destiny's gates are like to be either v1 or v2. Probably v1 then, if you take the wiki's logic, as it has no DHD (...) and more notably, has no Inner Ring. Then again neither do Pegasus Gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i have to say i thought the destiny was built before atlantis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

somuj wrote: »
    No it dosent. If you watch the first episode of Atlantis it says on the screen several million years ago on the screen before we see atlantis leave earth

I think its a continuity error, if Destiny had been built after Atlantis then Destiny would of been fitted the Gene Technology

Not really a continuuity error. Whats several million years versus several million years?

• Advertisement

Not really a continuuity error. Whats several million years versus several million years?

Ok then, it just wasnt made clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

somuj wrote: »

Yea but I thought that Destiny was launched before Atlantis? I thought that was why Destiny was so old looking. So if it was created over a million years ago, and Atlantis and the gene tech was created 6 million years before Destiny, why doesn't it have gene-tech and look oddly clean like Atlantis did?

Well spotted, forgot about the 7million years bit at the start of Atlantis.

Which really messes everything up tbh. Why doesn't Destiny have Hyper space tech then? It's also more basic than Atlantis is. So whats going on there? The writers forget bits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Maybe they are just going fo a different look/feel of the show, make it look more grimey and "realistic"

Much prefer the dirtier look

Which really messes everything up tbh. Why doesn't Destiny have Hyper space tech then?

Remember in the Serpents Lair (end of Season 1) theyre on the Mothership, its in Hypserspace, and They cant get the Stargate to even connect. Like its buried. FTL seems to be as much about being able to receive incoming wormhole signals as it does going fast.

Still, Destiny slows down before the wormhole locks to avoid that whole messy business the writers have never really wanted to tackle and thats an open wormhole between to relatively fast moving objects. A planets orbit and a ship at sublight seem to be within norms. Trying to transit while your destination was faster than light, could get rather dicey. Though possible. Youd probably not be in one piece when you got out the other end though.

So Hyperspace: Cannot make a lock, at all. FTL: Can, but dont throw cherished pets through though. Destiny's FTL lets it sense incoming wormholes, and then for safety reasons, it goes to sublight before the link is up.

I just want to point out that we haven't seen a wormhole connect when Destiny is in FTL so we cant assume that it does.

All we seen in the opening episode was Destiny going into FTL after the gate from Earth dis-connected. And in the desert episode if Destiny could connect while in FTL then why did it start freaking out and wanting to jump when Eli stuck his had in the Event horizon, once all incoming travelers where through it jumped to FTL once again.

It wasnt freaking out, I think it was just powering up the drive from a cold start. When they boarded Destiny, it would have been a hot start: drop out of FTL, take on passengers, off again.

It wasnt freaking out, I think it was just powering up the drive from a cold start. When they boarded Destiny, it would have been a hot start: drop out of FTL, take on passengers, off again.

Looks like we will find out whos right next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i wager 400 hundred quatloos on the newcomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

User45701 wrote: »
    i wager 400 hundred quatloos on the newcomer

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement