Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure in the new Programme for Government

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

taconnol wrote: »
    Um..the piece of legislation you quote there is Irish legislation. It is the implementation of the European Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. You seem to be under the impression that every EU Directive is somehow 'forced' on Ireland The BER was actually introduced on 1st July 2008 for all new homes. Jan 1st 2009 was for all existing homes for sale or rent.

I am certainly under the impression that the Greens signed nothing into law in 2006 for implementation in 2008/2009 but that evidently does not stop them dishonestly claiming they did !!!

Most of the rest of that list is equally dishonest :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am certainly under the impression that the Greens signed nothing into law in 2006 for implementation in 2008/2009 but that evidently does not stop them dishonestly claiming they did !!!
    Sponge Bob, I don't see where in the list the Greens claim that they signed it into law. They oversaw the implementation. And I might add that the law was delayed by over 18 months by certain political circles close to the CIF but would have been delayed even further had the Greens not pressed for it. The Greens also pressed for sufficient funds to be set aside for SEI to implement the scheme properly.
    Most of the rest of that list is equally dishonest :(
    I'd certainly like to see you disprove them all.

It is your list, I challenge you to PROVE one of them because I am quite happy I can simply deconstruct any of that prattle :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It is your list, I challenge you to PROVE one of them because I am quite happy I can simply deconstruct any of that prattle :(
    Au contraire, I've already stated my claims. If you want to waste your time here disproving them, be my guest. Don't expect me to do your heavy lifting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Just looking at the Special concervation area for the Tara / Gowra valley in the above post. I was under the impression that the Greens had abandoned Meath - Is the Special Conversation Area proposal to be delivered in place of the railway?

• Advertisement

IIMII wrote: »
    Just looking at the Special concervation area for the Tara / Gowra valley in the above post. I was under the impression that the Greens had abandoned Meath - Is the Special Conversation Area proposal to be delivered in place of the railway?
    I think you're thinking of Special Area of Conservation (SAC) that are designated under the EU Habitats Directive.

The Tara/Gowra Valley will be designated as a Landscape Conservation Area under the Planning and Development Act (2000). This means that no major developments can take place within the area (I believe the exact geographical area is to be outlined shortly). But AFAIK it would have no impact on the M3 road itself as it was Dick Roche that signed off the final legal document on that just before he left office in 2007.

They also would push for Tara to be added to the list of UNESCO Heritage Sites.

The Tara/Gowra Valley will be designated as a Landscape Conservation Area under the Planning and Development Act (2000). This means that no major developments can take place within the area (I believe the exact geographical area is to be outlined shortly). But AFAIK it would have no impact on the M3 road itself as it was Dick Roche that signed off the final legal document on that just before he left office in 2007..

But you mentioned the "National Monuments Bill 2009" in your glib cut and paste above, In typical green style this Bill will not be published in 2009 at all and will have to become the National Monuments Bill 2011 or something more apt like that .

This is what YOU said .
    17 July 09: Landscape conservation area announced for Tara-Skryne valley: National Monuments Bill 2009 sets out to protect archaeological monuments and sites of importance

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/94296
    The latest scandal involves Gormley's own promises as Minister, to strengthen legal protections for national monuments and landscapes. In 2007 he promised new legislation the following year. Then it was promised for 2009, and formally described as The National Monuments (Amendment) Act 2009. Last week we informed by the Taniste that the bill will now not be published until 2010, at least

Please do not refer to legislation that SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST despite Gormleys Promises . Here they be.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Heritage/Archaeology-NationalMonumentsService/News/MainBody,20782,en.htm

as for the Landscape Area ....Gormley only admitted he has started to talk about it . No designation has taken place at all .
    Tara-Skryne Landscape Conservation Area
    “I am also pleased to announce details in relation to a proposed new landscape management project which has been initiated to establish a Landscape Conservation Area in the Tara-Skryne area.

In summary .

1. No National Monuments Bill ( or Act ) in 2009
    2. No Landscape designation , merely discussions of same .

Dishonest green spoofery and waffle . Next one please . Keep them coming !

But you mentioned the "National Monuments Bill 2009" in your glib cut and paste above, In typical green style this Bill will not be published in 2009 at all and will have to become the National Monuments Bill 2011 or something more apt like that.
    Well, the Heads of the National Monuments Bill have already been approved and the texts are being prepared. If it ends up being 2010, so be it. We do happen to have a little thing called a global economic crisis to deal with.
    Please do not refer to legislation that SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST despite Gormleys Promises . Here they be.
    Sponge Bob, the legislation is in the works. If the distinction between the two is too much for you to understand, well it's nothing to do with me.
    as for the Landscape Area ....Gormley only admitted he has started to talk about it . No designation has taken place at all .
    Of course no designation has taken place yet. Significant work needs to happen before hand. Again, I refer you to above statement on your apparent difficulty at differentiating between bills passing through the Dail and legislation that has been passed.
    Dishonest green spoofery and waffle . Next one please . Keep them coming !
    Your aggressive tone does you no favours at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Furet wrote: »
    So can anyone summarise, briefly, what exactly the Greens have achieved in government in terms of changes to planning laws and regulations, energy independence, and transport?

BER
    Insulation (but no inspections)
    Lightbulbs

I think thats it....

Sorry, I'm going to be very lazy but:

28 Sep 09: €500million investment in Irish electricity sector: European Investment Bank helps secure Ireland’s green electricity supplies

I don't think the greens or any political party for that matter can claim credit for what the EIB do.
    11 Sep 09: Guidelines announced to prevent the over-zoning of land: New procedures in the Planning and Development Bill will result in improved city and county development plans

There will be no significant building done for decades if not longer. You missed the boat on that one.
    9 Sep 09: Fixed support prices introduced for new categories of renewable energy: Govt will pay fixed tariffs for CHP, biomass, wind energy and wave and tidal energy for 15 years

And Ireland has the most expensive electricity in the developed world, are about to spend billions on a grid system to suit one off micro generation sites that will not provide secure or reliable power.

At the same time we are spending million on capacity payments to gas generation plants to act as back up to there ludicrous "green" energy supplies.

News flash. Cheap power is one of the most important factors as regards competitiveness.
    17 July 09: Landscape conservation area announced for Tara-Skryne valley: National Monuments Bill 2009 sets out to protect archaeological monuments and sites of importance

You must be joking.....
    8 July 09: Most car dependent town in Ireland receives cycling funding: €1.2million made available to Carrigaline in Cork for a new cycling and walking network

Have you seen the state of the road from Carrigaline to Cork city ? You would want to be suicidal to try want to cycle that.

1 July 09: New electronic planning system will improve the efficiency of applications for both individuals and local authorities

About time but again the building boom is dead.
    22 June 09: Next Generation Broadband Strategy published: Document forms part of a wider strategy to develop Ireland as a smart economy

Will you do me a favour and tell Eamon Ryan that 3G is not broadband. is not recognised as broadband and as a result his pet national broadband scheme is a joke. Next gen my ass. Our infrastructure particularly the last mile is joke.
    Line pairing is still a common issue for gods sake.

17 June 09: 1.3 million subscribers to broadband in Ireland: Report shows numbers up by 28% since 2008

Again 3G is not broadband so should be removed from the report. 3G is a mobile data service nothing more. I use it for that purpose and also have a DSL connection so that means I am counted twice.

Pop into the Ireland Off Line forum.
    14 June 09: €16 million in insulation grants for 12,000 homes: Home energy scheme huge success as 2,000 tradespeople register to carry out home improvement works

Credit where it is due. But you need to appoint independent inspectors to ensure guidelines are followed and that these 2,000 trades people are not cowboys.

4 June 09: €5million announced for cycling infrastructure: including city centre section of the Sutton to Sandycove cycleway in Dublin

Personally YAWN but then perhaps others have a more valid opinion.

28 May 09: Planning Bill published: New bill will ensure transparency, openness and democratic involvement in planning process to avoid rezoning disasters of the past

Again a bit late.
    12 May 09: Directly elected Mayor for Dublin: Mayor will be charged with delivering reliable, integrated and cost effective transport for Dublin; new role will transform public’s connection with local government

And how much will that cost ? Ia there not already a Dublin transport authority ?
    3 April 09: New electric vehicle agreement signed: Eamon Ryan and the ESB sign Memoranda of understanding with Renault-Nissan to ensure the delivery of electric vehicles to the Irish market

Ahh that electricity generated by ...... er coal in the main... The efficiencies of electric vehicles are at best questionable with multiple losses. Also electric vehicles are as of yet a novel idea rather than a practical alternative. Limited range and speed and size mean they are essentially urban short distance units.
    8 Feb 09: €100m national insulation scheme announced. Scheme which will create 4,000 jobs, upgrade 50,000 homes and save householders €700 per year on heating bills

As above.

Also on the math. Divide 100 million by 4,000 jobs.. Then subtract material costs and you are paying people under minimum wage. its math like that destroys your credibility.
    5 Feb 09: Government launches ‘Smarter Travel - A Sustainable Transport Future’ which commits to getting 500,000 commuters out of their cars and 150,000 extra workers cycling every day. The plan will slash CO2 emissions by 4 million tones.

Not seen that one yet. But you assume that 150,000 workers are in a position to cycle... That's a big assumption...

4 Feb 09: Double digit decrease in energy prices will be introduced this year, as Eamon Ryan announces Commission for Energy Regulation Review

30 Jan 09: Additional €4 million announced to fund Galway water infrastructure

Still the highest electricity prices in the developed world.

28 Jan 09: European Commission awards €100m to fund an electricity interconnector between Ireland and the UK to secure energy supply

So we can import nuclear power to back up the half ass ed "wind power" program that's costing us a fortune. That is building small wind farms in areas with load factors as low as 20%.
    1 Jan 09: New energy rating system introduced for all homes for sale or rent. The BER system will rate each home on its energy efficiency, with A being the highest and G the lowest.

Again credit where it is due but one mistake. testers should have been accredited and independent not associated with insulation companies which is a clear conflict of interest.
    1 Jan 09:Green Party launches campaign to promote the Cycle to Work scheme introduced in Budget 2009. Workers will receive up to €1,000 tax break to buy a bicycle and accessories

Again with the cycling. Whats that 3 or 4 of your points relating to cycling... Out of curiosity what has the take up been like ??
    That's just in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

4 June 09: €5million announced for cycling infrastructure: including city centre section of the Sutton to Sandycove cycleway in Dublin

This has been in the works for so long it's getting boring. If work starts in the next year, I'll be impressed but in the meantime, I remain sceptical.
    12 May 09: Directly elected Mayor for Dublin: Mayor will be charged with delivering reliable, integrated and cost effective transport for Dublin; new role will transform public’s connection with local government

It's too late for this now. Demsey has scuppered the plan from under the Greens by changing the DTA (chaired by the Mayor) into an NTA which reports to the Dail. No change, no improvement and no local representation. There may be a mayor but they'll have no control over public transport which was, for me, one of the main reasons for introducing that position.
    3 April 09: New electric vehicle agreement signed: Eamon Ryan and the ESB sign Memoranda of understanding with Renault-Nissan to ensure the delivery of electric vehicles to the Irish market

I hadn't heard anything about that, I'll be interested to see what happens.

I think you're thinking of Special Area of Conservation (SAC) that are designated under the EU Habitats Directive.

The Tara/Gowra Valley will be designated as a Landscape Conservation Area under the Planning and Development Act (2000). This means that no major developments can take place within the area (I believe the exact geographical area is to be outlined shortly). But AFAIK it would have no impact on the M3 road itself as it was Dick Roche that signed off the final legal document on that just before he left office in 2007.

They also would push for Tara to be added to the list of UNESCO Heritage Sites.
    Great. But I wanted to know is Meath getting this instead of the railway? And I don't mean the mile or so across the border from Dublin through Dunboyne.

knipex wrote: »
    I don't think the greens or any political party for that matter can claim credit for what the EIB do.
    Incorrect. Firstly, the EIB set up the €1.5bn fund last year in response to requests from finance ministers and EU leaders, including the Irish. Secondly, the EIB will not just invest anywhere - and the political and regulatory framework for investment is vital.
    There will be no significant building done for decades if not longer. You missed the boat on that one.
    Maybe not but the law is there for the future.
    And Ireland has the most expensive electricity in the developed world, are about to spend billions on a grid system to suit one off micro generation sites that will not provide secure or reliable power.

At the same time we are spending million on capacity payments to gas generation plants to act as back up to there ludicrous "green" energy supplies.

News flash. Cheap power is one of the most important factors as regards competitiveness.
    This part is totally off the mark. We spend €6 billion a year importing energy into this country. Why exactly do you think we have some of the most expensive electricity? Because we buy it off the international market where we are totally open to the vagaries of the market. The IEA has identified us has having significant energy security issues and serious investment in domestic energy ie renewables is advised.

Moreover the hydro etc is not going to be micro-generation for the most part. It's pretty obvious you're not familiar with the renewable energy industry in Ireland or you wouldn't make such uninformed comments.
    You must be joking.....
    In the face of such flawless logic, how can I resist??
    Have you seen the state of the road from Carrigaline to Cork city ? You would want to be suicidal to try want to cycle that.
    The cycling network will be IN Carrigaline.
    About time but again the building boom is dead.
    And what exactly do you expect the Greens to do about that? Bring it back so the laws are more relevant?
    Will you do me a favour and tell Eamon Ryan that 3G is not broadband. is not recognised as broadband and as a result his pet national broadband scheme is a joke. Next gen my ass. Our infrastructure particularly the last mile is joke.
    Line pairing is still a common issue for gods sake.
    Fair enough, I do not know much about broadband.
    Credit where it is due. But you need to appoint independent inspectors to ensure guidelines are followed and that these 2,000 trades people are not cowboys.
    All tradesman are on an SEI-approved suppliers list. All installations are covered under standard insurance.
    Personally YAWN but then perhaps others have a more valid opinion.
    Well good luck to you in your car but for those of us who cycle and give a crap about cycling this is good news. And I'll remind you that for every cyclist there is one less car on the road that gives you more space and parking space. Oh and less air pollution and rates of respiratory disease (and less burden on our nation's hospitals as people partake in regular exercise) but then again YAWN to all that.
    Again a bit late.
    Again, I don't know what you expect the Greens to do about that.
    And how much will that cost ? Ia there not already a Dublin transport authority ?
    Oh come on. You are NOT going to whinge about a direcly elected DUblin Mayor because of the cost. We already HAVE a Dublin Mayor. How do you expect Dublin to have a coherent interconnected policy in areas like transportation, planning and infrastructure if each decision is being made by central government or by a different body? Look at Bordeaux or London where they have a directly elected mayor. Go talk to the DTO, people involved in the day-to-day planning of transportation in the GDA and they'll tell you what they think of a directly elected Dublin Mayor - about bloody time.
    Ahh that electricity generated by ...... er coal in the main... The efficiencies of electric vehicles are at best questionable with multiple losses. Also electric vehicles are as of yet a novel idea rather than a practical alternative. Limited range and speed and size mean they are essentially urban short distance units.
    Oh yes, because Ireland doesn't have any renewable energy...oh except wait they do. With targets to significantly increase, particularly in the area of offshore wind. Electric vehicles are not at best questionable - they are more efficient that FF cars and yes they are better for urban but so what? The vast majority of car trips in this country are short ones. New versions are coming out with bigger range, speed and size. There will also be electric powering stations in the form of petrol stations being rolled out in the future.

On an aside, we really need to get away from this mentality that one thing is going to solve everything. Electric cars only work in urban areas so forget about it. No. Electric cars are PART of the solution.
    As above.
    Ditto.
    Also on the math. Divide 100 million by 4,000 jobs.. Then subtract material costs and you are paying people under minimum wage. its math like that destroys your credibility.
    Do I really have to go through the basic economics of the multiplying factor, etc? The impact of investment on job creation?
    Not seen that one yet. But you assume that 150,000 workers are in a position to cycle... That's a big assumption...
    Where's your proof that the assumption is not fact? Go check out the 2006 Census. It is fact. The average commuting distance is 15kms. That means that there are thousands of people whose commuting distance is a very doable 5-10kms. And there are those that commute even further already.
    Still the highest electricity prices in the developed world.
    And what? You dismiss renewable energy as a source of indigenous energy yet complain about high electricity prices.
    So we can import nuclear power to back up the half ass ed "wind power" program that's costing us a fortune. That is building small wind farms in areas with load factors as low as 20%.
    *sigh* No so that we can become part of the European supergrid and export wind energy when it exceeds our national demand.
    Again credit where it is due but one mistake. testers should have been accredited and independent not associated with insulation companies which is a clear conflict of interest.
    Testers are accredited, are checked at least annually. Random checking of BERs also takes place. And they are not allowed to carry out tests on houses belonging to work/family connections.
    Again with the cycling. Whats that 3 or 4 of your points relating to cycling... Out of curiosity what has the take up been like ??
    I don't know - I don't have access to official figures. The Dublin bikes scheme has been a runaway success.

The Nissan Renault Scam

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1019862_ireland-esb-and-renault-nissan-announce-alliance

April 3rd, 2009
    Energy Minister Eamon Ryan announced a new alliance that will put electric cars on Irish motorways in two years.

So that would be by April 2011

This is but one of 27 Partnership deals that Nissan entered before they announced the Nissan Leaf ...due in 2010

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/01/2010-nissan-leaf-electric-car-in-person-in-depth-and-u-s-b/
    Nissan says it has established 27 partnerships with local governments around the world, and more are on the way. If you're outside of such areas, Nissan says it won't discourage you from becoming an owner/lessee, but obviously home charging will need to be sufficient.

Finding Fuel

How will Leaf drivers find these public charging stations? Every example will be equipped with an integrated computer system that is connected to a GPS system and global data center, allowing the Leaf to display its "reachable area" on its sat-nav screen, as well as the location of nearby charging stations. That same advanced IT system can also communicate with the owner's smart phone, sending them emails to let them know their vehicle's state of charge, allow users to pre-cool or pre-warm the Leaf while it's charging (thus drawing power from the grid and not depleting the onboard batteries), and the system can even be programmed to charge in the middle-of-the-night to take advantage of lower energy costs.

I hope nobody told Ryan about this :p

markpb wrote: »
    This has been in the works for so long it's getting boring. If work starts in the next year, I'll be impressed but in the meantime, I remain sceptical.
    Well it's already almost complete between town and Howth. I've cycled it a few times myself.
    It's too late for this now. Demsey has scuppered the plan from under the Greens by changing the DTA (chaired by the Mayor) into an NTA which reports to the Dail. No change, no improvement and no local representation. There may be a mayor but they'll have no control over public transport which was, for me, one of the main reasons for introducing that position.
    Public transport may have been one of the main reasons but there are other important infrastructural issues the Mayor can handle. And the position is open to being changed in future to include public transportation.
    I hadn't heard anything about that, I'll be interested to see what happens.
    Well they aren't the only ones in the field. I've been in meetings with other foreign companies interested in investing. Personally, I think the government should remain agnostic on which type of car to go for.
    Great. But I wanted to know is Meath getting this instead of the railway? And I don't mean the mile or so across the border from Dublin through Dunboyne.
    I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this issue. Can you elaborate?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this issue.
    Don't worry about it - that seems to be the common Green response about the Navan line for a while now. John Gormley and Trevor Sargent banged on about the railway for years, and Trevor Sargent said a few years ago that if the Greens were in Governement it would already have been built, etc.

All that has gone out the window apparently, and we have this SAC instead it seems.

Don't worry about it - that seems to be the common Green response about the Navan line for a while now. John Gormley and Trevor Sargent banged on about the railway for years, and Trevor Sargent said a few years ago that if the Greens were in Governement it would already have been built, etc.

All that has gone out the window apparently, and we have this SAC instead it seems.
    Hang on a sec - I didn't claim to speak on behalf of the Green party. I'm a member but have only been a member for a few months now. I'm not their spokesperson and I'm not familiar with the issue.

That is a really dismissive response and uncalled for. If you had taken the time to give me a few more details, I could have gone and checked it out.

Incorrect. Firstly, the EIB set up the €1.5bn fund last year in response to requests from finance ministers and EU leaders, including the Irish. Secondly, the EIB will not just invest anywhere - and the political and regulatory framework for investment is vital.

And who exactly is our Finance Minister.... Unless he changed parties recently he is not a Green.

This part is totally off the mark. We spend €6 billion a year importing energy into this country. Why exactly do you think we have some of the most expensive electricity? Because we buy it off the international market where we are totally open to the vagaries of the market. The IEA has identified us has having significant energy security issues and serious investment in domestic energy ie renewables is advised.

Moreover the hydro etc is not going to be micro-generation for the most part. It's pretty obvious you're not familiar with the renewable energy industry in Ireland or you wouldn't make such uninformed comments.

Far far more informed than you (or the Green party for that matter.)

We import 6 billion worth of energy. but less than 3 billion of that is related to electricity.

Ireland is not the only country developed country with no oil or even limited gas supplies yet we still have the highest electricity costs in Europe...

Our Whole sale generation prices are actually pretty OK its the retail prices that are out of whack....

Do some research on the topic...

The Green party and this country have a fetish for wind power and seem to be of the opinion that it is free. Its not. There are HUGE capital costs associated with wind. Somewhere in the region of 1.5 million plus per MW installed. That is before you take load factor into account which varied from 20% to high 30's depending on location. Lets assume an (generous) average of 30% that means a generation cost of 5 million per Mw output. That is order of magnitude higher than the capital cost for oil or gas and icomparable with coal. That higher capital cost has to be paid for.

Wind power is also unreliable and insecure so requires a backup so we are in the ridiculous situation where we are paying companies capacity payments to build CGT gas stations to back up our existing and planned wind supply . We are paying companies not to generate electricity unless the wind does down...... As well as paying a subsidy to the wind generating companies.

The interconnects will address this by allowing us to buy cheap nuclear power from France and the UK.

Wind power is the next .com or property bubble
    In the face of such flawless logic, how can I resist??

The cycling network will be IN Carrigaline.

Carrigaline is a commuter town so it is in effect useless. The vast majority of traffic in Carrigaline is commuter traffic going to and from work in Ringaskiddy and elsewhere. How exactly will a cycle network in Carrigaline help that ?

And what exactly do you expect the Greens to do about that? Bring it back so the laws are more relevant?

It brings to mind shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. You shout loud enough about it but it will actually do very little.

All tradesman are on an SEI-approved suppliers list. All installations are covered under standard insurance.

And how do you get on the SEI approved list ? Is their knowledge tested, training checked, ? (answer is you apply, pay and no-one checks anything but the consumer assumes that as they are approved....)
    Well good luck to you in your car but for those of us who cycle and give a crap about cycling this is good news. And I'll remind you that for every cyclist there is one less car on the road that gives you more space and parking space. Oh and less air pollution and rates of respiratory disease (and less burden on our nation's hospitals as people partake in regular exercise) but then again YAWN to all that.

Ah yes a few cycle lanes in Dublin will do sooooooo much to address that.. And as for every cyclist taking a car off the road... Are you serious... People in the main cycle for exercise and fun, not as a mode of transport.

I live in a commuter village just outside Limerick. We have two bus services a day to Limerick. At 10am to Limerick and at 4pm, from Limerick. ideal times for commuters. No cycle lane will help that...

Again, I don't know what you expect the Greens to do about that.

Stop pretending its a big deal... its not.

Oh come on. You are NOT going to whinge about a directly elected DUblin Mayor because of the cost. We already HAVE a Dublin Mayor. How do you expect Dublin to have a coherent interconnected policy in areas like transportation, planning and infrastructure if each decision is being made by central government or by a different body? Look at Bordeaux or London where they have a directly elected mayor. Go talk to the DTO, people involved in the day-to-day planning of transportation in the GDA and they'll tell you what they think of a directly elected Dublin Mayor - about bloody time.

I asked abut the DTA ? Why elect a politician to do a job that needs a professional ? Local politicians have been so wonderful at planning haven't they ?
    Oh yes, because Ireland doesn't have any renewable energy...oh except wait they do. With targets to significantly increase, particularly in the area of offshore wind. Electric vehicles are not at best questionable - they are more efficient that FF cars and yes they are better for urban but so what? The vast majority of car trips in this country are short ones. New versions are coming out with bigger range, speed and size. There will also be electric powering stations in the form of petrol stations being rolled out in the future.

So the wind will blow when the cars are being charged ?

So you are going to build charging station ? How long does it take to charge a battery ? Very convenient.... (or did you not think of that ? how about battery swapping ? did you ensure that the two companies mentioned make compatible batteries and that they can be easily removed ? Didn't think of that either ?
    Out of curiosity what is the range of an electric car ? (real range using things like wipers and lights and window demisters and radios not the fantasy range) are you going to roll out stations close enough to suit that ?
    On an aside, we really need to get away from this mentality that one thing is going to solve everything. Electric cars only work in urban areas so forget about it. No. Electric cars are PART of the solution.

A very very small part.

Do I really have to go through the basic economics of the multiplying factor, etc? The impact of investment on job creation?

Do I have to explain that 100 million will only go so far.

100 million divided by 4,000 is 25K assuming 50% materials that's 12.5K...

100 million is a finite amount and even if spent every year for ever will not result in 4,000 jobs or anything close to it. Inf at I am willing to bet that at least 20% of it will go on exports.
    Where's your proof that the assumption is not fact? Go check out the 2006 Census. It is fact. The average commuting distance is 15kms. That means that there are thousands of people whose commuting distance is a very doable 5-10kms. And there are those that commute even further already.

And all those people are in a position to cycle ? They don't carry tools etc ? Are fit and able bodied ?

it's an assumption based on poor logic.

And what? You dismiss renewable energy as a source of indigenous energy yet complain about high electricity prices.

You really don't get it. Our high energy prices are because of a poorly planned and executed renewable energy program. Not in spite of it.

Renewable energy is part of a solution but has limitations. As I explained wind energy is not cheap yet you persist with the assumption ti will address our electricity costs. You support Wind farms in areas where load factor is as low as 20% when any one with a calculator and a little knowledge knows that anything under 35% is crazy and will result in massive electricity costs.

Less assumptions and poorly thought out green ideology and a little more rational thinking and planning. Less hyperbole and more deliver ables.

*sigh* No so that we can become part of the European supergrid and export wind energy when it exceeds our national demand.

LOL peddle that somewhere else. We have the most expensive electricity in the developed world and you expect us to be able to sell it on the international markets ? I have no doubt that we will export wind power but only on the spot market. Guess what wind power is worth on the spot market ???

We will be using the inter connectors as a backup to our mass of poorly planned wind-farms, to ensure security of supply and as a result will still be subject to the fluctuations on the international electricity prices.

Testers are accredited, are checked at least annually. Random checking of BERs also takes place. And they are not allowed to carry out tests on houses belonging to work/family connections.

How many testers work for companies that supply and fit insulation ?

Its a clear conflict of interest.
    I don't know - I don't have access to official figures. The Dublin bikes scheme has been a runaway success.

I didnt ask you about Dublin bikes. I asked you about the green party policy implementations you touted.

And who exactly is our Finance Minister.... Unless he changed parties recently he is not a Green.
    I said Finance Ministers AND other members of national governments.
    We import 6 billion worth of energy. but less than 3 billion of that is related to electricity.
    Try factoring in the electrification of transport.
    The Green party and this country have a fetish for wind power and seem to be of the opinion that it is free. Its not. There are HUGE capital costs associated with wind. Somewhere in the region of 1.5 million plus per MW installed. That is before you take load factor into account which varied from 20% to high 30's depending on location. Lets assume an (generous) average of 30% that means a generation cost of 5 million per Mw output. That is order of magnitude higher than the capital cost for oil or gas and icomparable with coal. That higher capital cost has to be paid for.

Wind power is also unreliable and insecure so requires a backup so we are in the ridiculous situation where we are paying companies capacity payments to build CGT gas stations to back up our existing and planned wind supply . We are paying companies not to generate electricity unless the wind does down...... As well as paying a subsidy to the wind generating companies.

The interconnects will address this by allowing us to buy cheap nuclear power from France and the UK.
    Sorry, where did I say that it was free? Strawman. Do some research. I recommend Simon Awerbuch and his work on application of portfolio theory to renewables. Approximately 95% of the costs of wind energy are up front. O&M costs are minimal. You also don't have to worry about pollution or offsetting of carbon, given that those are actual costs.
    Wind power is the next .com or property bubble
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was plenty of energy to go around. Silly me.
    Carrigaline is a commuter town so it is in effect useless. The vast majority of traffic in Carrigaline is commuter traffic going to and from work in Ringaskiddy and elsewhere. How exactly will a cycle network in Carrigaline help that ?
    I have no doubt that a lot of traffic goes between Carrigaline and Cork. But there are services/locations within Carrigaline that people access by car and the point of the cycle network is to allow people to access those routes by bike.
    It brings to mind shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. You shout loud enough about it but it will actually do very little.
    Again, I don't really know what you expect the Greens to do about that - they weren't in power pre-2007.
    And how do you get on the SEI approved list ? Is their knowledge tested, training checked, ? (answer is you apply, pay and no-one checks anything but the consumer assumes that as they are approved....)
    Incorrect. The tradesmen have to provide evidence of qualifications and their backgrounds are checked. Now who's assuming what?
    Ah yes a few cycle lanes in Dublin will do sooooooo much to address that.. And as for every cyclist taking a car off the road... Are you serious... People in the main cycle for exercise and fun, not as a mode of transport.
    Sorry but you don't even cycle. Don't assume to know exactly why everyone does and does not cycle. How do you think cities like Amsterdam get the majority of people commuting by bicycle if "people in the main cycle for exercise and fun, not as a mode of transport". I have been cycling in Dublin for 6 years, worked in the DTO and I understand what makes people want to cycle and not. The main obstacle is fear for their safety and cycle lanes go a long way in providing proper space for cyclists on the roads and a sense of priority in that space.
    I live in a commuter village just outside Limerick. We have two bus services a day to Limerick. At 10am to Limerick and at 4pm, from Limerick. ideal times for commuters. No cycle lane will help that...
    See above.
    Stop pretending its a big deal... its not.
    You don't think having a more transparent planning process is a big deal? Wow.
    I asked abut the DTA ? Why elect a politician to do a job that needs a professional ? Local politicians have been so wonderful at planning haven't they ?
    The point was about the Mayor. I don't see what your problem is the elected mayor position. The position is a political one. You are aware that the current mayor is not a professional either?

So the wind will blow when the cars are being charged ?
    knipex, please go and look up demand management or V2G technology or storage capabilities. Anyway, most cars will be charged up at night when there is a valley in the demand curve.
    So you are going to build charging station ? How long does it take to charge a battery ? Very convenient.... (or did you not think of that ? how about battery swapping ? did you ensure that the two companies mentioned make compatible batteries and that they can be easily removed ? Didn't think of that either ?
    Did I say I was going to build a charging station? No. I said there are private businesses who are going to start building a charging station. Research in the US is working on bringing charging times down to 3 minutes. There will also be the ability to charge in your house at night. Again more lack of knowledge - battery swapping is not going to work.

Note: It would be nice if you didn't use language that sets me up as the government/green party. I am a member of the greens but I don't speak on behalf of them and nor the government. It really is unnecessarily aggressive.
    Out of curiosity what is the range of an electric car ? (real range using things like wipers and lights and window demisters and radios not the fantasy range) are you going to roll out stations close enough to suit that ?
    THe Mitsubishi i-Miev has a range of 160kms. It's my understanding that the stations will be rolled out in Dublin first. Seriously, you would think that fossil fuel cars have limitless range the way you're talking.
    A very very small part.
    I'll just stick with my own opinion on the issue.
    Do I have to explain that 100 million will only go so far.
    Please go over to the Irish Economy forum - I'm really not going to go into the economics of investment and job creation here.
    And all those people are in a position to cycle ? They don't carry tools etc ? Are fit and able bodied ?

it's an assumption based on poor logic.
    Did I say that all of them were the above? No. But again it will be part of the solution. As I said, there are cities where the majority of commuters travel by bike. We may not get the same numbers but the tiny 5% of cycling commuters we have now would be very easy to improve on.
    You really don't get it. Our high energy prices are because of a poorly planned and executed renewable energy program. Not in spite of it.
    Hang on a sec - you just said the wholesale price wasn't bad and it was the retail price. But now it's all the fault of our renewable energy programme?
    Renewable energy is part of a solution but has limitations. As I explained wind energy is not cheap yet you persist with the assumption ti will address our electricity costs.
    Well that's been knocked on the head - see above.
    You support Wind farms in areas where load factor is as low as 20% when any one with a calculator and a little knowledge knows that anything under 35% is crazy and will result in massive electricity costs.
    More is going to be built offshore with higher load factors. Again re costs, see above.
    LOL peddle that somewhere else. We have the most expensive electricity in the developed world and you expect us to be able to sell it on the international markets ? I have no doubt that we will export wind power but only on the spot market. Guess what wind power is worth on the spot market ???

We will be using the inter connectors as a backup to our mass of poorly planned wind-farms, to ensure security of supply and as a result will still be subject to the fluctuations on the international electricity prices.
    Given that we have been identified by Andris Pielbags as having the greatest wind and wave energy resources in Europe, I think your doom and gloom analysis is more than a little wide of the mark. And again I refer you to Awerbuch's work on the economics of wind power.

How many testers work for companies that supply and fit insulation ?

Its a clear conflict of interest.
    I think there are sufficient checks and balances in place. There is a code of practice, BER assessors are regularly audited and thrown of the register if they commit any offences. And some have already been thrown off.
    I didnt ask you about Dublin bikes. I asked you about the green party policy implementations you touted.
    And I've already said I didn't have the figure on it. Why are you repeating it again?

Jesus I've never read such naysaying, negative posts.

Hang on a sec - I didn't claim to speak on behalf of the Green party. I'm a member but have only been a member for a few months now. I'm not their spokesperson and I'm not familiar with the issue.

That is a really dismissive response and uncalled for. If you had taken the time to give me a few more details, I could have gone and checked it out.
    Apologies. I've just got a bit of a bee in my bonnet with the Green's on this issue - it was nearly as if they used the issue to give the impression of a vision on improved public transport, and then dumped it at the door to Leinster house on being elected to Government. It wasn't aimed at you personally

• Advertisement

Apologies. I've just got a bit of a bee in my bonnet with the Green's on this issue - it was nearly as if they used the issue to give the impression of a vision on improved public transport, and then dumped it at the door to Leinster house on being elected to Government. It wasn't aimed at you personally

It's fine IIMII, I just feel like I'm under attack slightly from quite a few posters lately when I try to defend the Greens.

Do you mean the Dublin-Navan line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's fine IIMII, I just feel like I'm under attack slightly from quite a few posters lately when I try to defend the Greens

I reiterate to all: please be courteous and civil to one another. Smart Alecry and obnoxiousness aren't appreciated here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knipex viewpost.gif

THe Mitsubishi i-Miev has a range of 160kms. It's my understanding that the stations will be rolled out in Dublin first. Seriously, you would think that fossil fuel cars have limitless range the way you're talking.

Ryan specifically launched the Nissan Leaf with 'a vision' of electric cars on our "MOTORWAYS" by 2011 to quote Ryan, now we find the chargers will not be installed outside the M50 .

I suppose a towtruck could bring it back to Dublin all the same :(

Ryan specifically launched the Nissan Leaf with 'a vision' of electric cars on our "MOTORWAYS" by 2011 to quote Ryan, now we find the chargers will not be installed outside the M50 .

I suppose a towtruck could bring it back to Dublin all the same :(
    Ah Sponge Bob, I said that they would start in Dublin. I didn't say they wouldn't put them outside Dublin as well.

Personally I find the motorway comment, if that's what he said, a bit odd because at the moment the technology is such that petrol cars are actually more efficient on motorways, going at a steady speed. Perhaps he was referring to PHEVs, which are also a grid car.

Furet wrote: »
    I reiterate to all: please be courteous and civil to one another. Smart Alecry and obnoxiousness aren't appreciated here.

With respect. The poster made a number of claims that do not stand up. Surely we are allowed to question and challenge these claims ? Or are we now supposed to take Green Party press releases as gospel ?

At no time have I, Sponge Bob or any other poster on this thread insulted the poster or made anything approaching a personal comment.

If asking questions and challanging assumptions is now considered smart Alecry or abnoxious then do me a favour and wave your ban stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

With respect. The poster made a number of claims that do not stand up. Surely we are allowed to question and challenge these claims ? Or are we now supposed to take Green Party press releases as gospel ?

At no time have I, Sponge Bob or any other poster on this thread insulted the poster or made anything approaching a personal comment.

If asking questions and challanging assumptions is now considered smart Alecry or abnoxious then do me a favour and wave your ban stick.

Furet was merely giving a reminder to everyone to make sure things are kept civil, we all know sometimes these debates can get heated, and indeed even I observed a few instances where things got a little personal (though within the limits of what's necessary/acceptable to address the point in question).

Furet's message was a light-warning, and it wasn't to you or anyone else in particular so chill a bit.

Also, you'd be well-advised to avoid comments like "do me a favour and wave your ban stick". And that's a serious warning.

I said Finance Ministers AND other members of national governments.

No your initial post claimed full credit for the Greens. A claim that does not stand up.
    Try factoring in the electrification of transport.

You still don't understand.

6 billion in energy imports which includes heating oil, diesel, petrol, gas etc. less than 3 billion of this is for electricity.

Moving cars from petrol and diesel to electricity will not change that total.

Look at the efficiency of a modern diesel engine.

Now look at the efficiency of a power generation plant.
    The efficiency of power distribution systems (including transformation stages)
    Look at the efficiency of a charging system the efficiency of the battery and the electric motors.

Sorry, where did I say that it was free? Strawman. Do some research. I recommend Simon Awerbuch and his work on application of portfolio theory to renewables. Approximately 95% of the costs of wind energy are up front. O&M costs are minimal. You also don't have to worry about pollution or offsetting of carbon, given that those are actual costs.

And You call me a straw man. I agree with you that the costs are all up front. Its the level of those costs that you clearly do not understand. 5 million per MW output is orders of magnitude more expensive that gas, oil coal or nuclear. At 30% efficiency and a life of 25 years power generated by wind is much more expensive than power generated by gas coal or oil. The difference in capital costs more than covers the cost of the fuel...

As for the pollution issue........ What is the greatest carbon sink in Ireland ? Where are wind farms installed ?

Wind Turbines are energy intensive to manufacture, ship and install. They are not pollution free any more than they produce free power. I have looked for but failed to find any independent research looking at the true environmental cost of wind turbines from design to disposal but what little bits I have been able to find shows that they are far from pollution free.
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was plenty of energy to go around. Silly me.

Not silly just miss informed. So some independent research as to the true cost of wind power.

Load factor is the critical issue regarding the feasibility of wind power and there are not an infinite number of sites where higher load factors are available.

Even with a 35% load factor there will be significant periods of low or no power availability. Blackouts are not acceptable so alternative generation capacity needs to be kept as a backup.

At the moment we are paying companies to build CGT generation plants purely to act as a backup for wind. As no business will invest in a power station when they are only allowed to sell power when their competitors (wind) cannot so we are paying them a capacity payment just to be available in case we need them...........

Wind without storage is not a reliable or secure power supply which is why it is worthless for exports. It is also expensive which makes to uncompetitive in an export market. Using what we have at the moment the only way we could export wind power is to back it up with more subsidised CGt stations and subsidise the power so it can compete thereby driving Irish Electricity costs higher.

The Storage required to make wind power a real solution is measured in hundred of Gw hours and this will still not address power generation costs associated with wind.

I have no doubt that a lot of traffic goes between Carrigaline and Cork. But there are services/locations within Carrigaline that people access by car and the point of the cycle network is to allow people to access those routes by bike.

Have you ever actually been to Carrigaline ? Do you know what shift patterns are like in the area ?

Incorrect. The tradesmen have to provide evidence of qualifications and their backgrounds are checked. Now who's assuming what?

No assumption at all. I actually know a number of registered installers and I know exactly what they had to do to become registered and exactly what experience and qualification they have in the field.

Sorry but you don't even cycle.

Oh this is very funny when combined with your next line
    Don't assume to know exactly why everyone does and does not cycle.
    How do you think cities like Amsterdam get the majority of people commuting by bicycle if "people in the main cycle for exercise and fun, not as a mode of transport". I have been cycling in Dublin for 6 years, worked in the DTO and I understand what makes people want to cycle and not. The main obstacle is fear for their safety and cycle lanes go a long way in providing proper space for cyclists on the roads and a sense of priority in that space.

Do you have a problem with maps ? Look at Amsterdam and look where people live relative to where they work.

Look at Ireland and look at where people live relative to where they work.

Its not rocket science it involves look at the reality around you. A minority of people will be able to cycle to work the majority will not. Picking a figure of 150,000 based on the commute distance quoted in the census is a joke.

Imagine your a self employed plumber. What is your commute ?
    A sales man ?

There are many reasons why a short commute would be recorded on the census but would prevent you cycling.

You don't think having a more transparent planning process is a big deal? Wow.

The point was about the Mayor. I don't see what your problem is the elected mayor position. The position is a political one. You are aware that the current mayor is not a professional either?

Having a politician in charge result in a transparent planning system ? That where we have been going wrong....

Oh hang on.... councillors are politicians and were responsible for planning but didn't John Gormley take powers from them because of the mess they were making of planning.

You claimed the mayor was a good thing as an elected politician would be responsible for planning.... Planning should be the responsibility of professionals with overall policy set by government. Once politicians become involved then planning becomes a political issue where votes mean more than good planning.

knipex, please go and look up demand management or V2G technology or storage capabilities. Anyway, most cars will be charged up at night when there is a valley in the demand curve.

Oh this is an area i know a little about. So cars are going ts use charging stations overnight.... Very .......... convenient......
    Did I say I was going to build a charging station? No. I said there are private businesses who are going to start building a charging station. Research in the US is working on bringing charging times down to 3 minutes. There will also be the ability to charge in your house at night. Again more lack of knowledge - battery swapping is not going to work.

A 3 minute charge is years away at best and drive efficiencies down even further resulting in more power wastage.

Battery charging does work as long as you lease the batteries instead of buying them. It may be expensive and a but impractical but that never stopped you before.

You also seem to be confused on this topic. you tell me that electric cars are for urban use only then you have a discussion with Spongebob about motorway usage.

Based on current technology charging stations are a joke as charging times are two long.

It will work where you drive in for work, charge the car while in the office and then drive home but will not work like a petrol station as you previously implied. The range and refueling times mean that electric cars are only suitable for a small minority....
    Note: It would be nice if you didn't use language that sets me up as the government/green party. I am a member of the greens but I don't speak on behalf of them and nor the government.

You were quite happy to make a post claiming allot of credit on their behalf. If you make claims like that then be prepared to defend them.
    It really is unnecessarily aggressive.

Now you are having a laugh.

You made claims, I challenged them and you call be aggressive.

Get a grip.

The i-Miev will not do 160 kms in actual usage when you need to use lights, wipers and even want to turn on the radio.

The manufacturers claims for all electric cars do not live up to real life much like the claims by Toyota for the Prius back in the day.

I drive a diesel car. I have a range of 1,100km per tank (in reall world driving) and takes less than 5 minutes to fill.

Did I say that all of them were the above? No. But again it will be part of the solution. As I said, there are cities where the majority of commuters travel by bike. We may not get the same numbers but the tiny 5% of cycling commuters we have now would be very easy to improve on.

You claimed a figure as fact that you now admit you may not reach. Now that's progress. Its also very expensive progress.. How much will the scheme cost again ?
    Hang on a sec - you just said the wholesale price wasn't bad and it was the retail price. But now it's all the fault of our renewable energy programme?

How hard is this to understand ? The additional costs associated with wind energy is what causes the difference between wholesale costs (ie the cost of a MW of electricity coming out of Money-point) and the cost charged to the consumer.

Well that's been knocked on the head - see above.

Where ???

More is going to be built offshore with higher load factors. Again re costs, see above.

Load factors do improve off shore but so do costs. They increase dramatically for both installation and maintenance so overall efficiencies are the same. Off shore wind power is actually more expensive to produce than on shore.
    Given that we have been identified by Andris Pielbags as having the greatest wind and wave energy resources in Europe, I think your doom and gloom analysis is more than a little wide of the mark. And again I refer you to Awerbuch's work on the economics of wind power.

I refer you to reality..

I will do the math if you wish but to prevent you starting running away after we need to agree some figures.

Are you willing to accept an installed cost for wing of 1.5 million per MW ?

Are you willing to accept an average load factor of 25 to 30% ?

Do you accept that wind power is neither reliable or secure and a backup supply must exist ? Do you accept that this back up must be paid for ?

Once we have agreement on those basic principles then I will be more than happy to do the math.
    I think there are sufficient checks and balances in place. There is a code of practice, BER assessors are regularly audited and thrown of the register if they commit any offences. And some have already been thrown off.

The conflict of interest remains and there are very little checks and balances in place. If you don't believe me ask SEI just how many inspected there are monitoring the BER inspectors ?

Jesus I've never read such naysaying, negative posts.

Reality does suck.....

No your initial post claimed full credit for the Greens. A claim that does not stand up.
    I also said that policy framework is important for attracting investment. You have done nothing to refute my claim.
    You still don't understand.
    Look, comments like this are unnecessary. Disagreement does not automatically mean the other person does not understand. I'm not interested in proving you don't understand, I'm interested in having a debate. I'm open to being proven wrong, and its always nice in a debate if both people are open to ideas.
    6 billion in energy imports which includes heating oil, diesel, petrol, gas etc. less than 3 billion of this is for electricity.

Moving cars from petrol and diesel to electricity will not change that total.
    How will the transfer of some transport from fossil fuel to electricity not decrease imports, assuming we also increase indigenous supplies of electricity (ie renewables)?
    Look at the efficiency of a modern diesel engine.

Now look at the efficiency of a power generation plant.
    The efficiency of power distribution systems (including transformation stages)
    Look at the efficiency of a charging system the efficiency of the battery and the electric motors.
    knipex, the modern petrol car is not efficient - it is about 20% efficient. BEVs are a lot more efficient, but you're right about power distribution systems Power plants are about 35% efficient, but then you have to factor in transmission losses. At the moment I'd say they're both at par.

However, improvements are being made in the efficiency of transmission and a key point is that any improvements in the efficiency of a petrol/diesel car take about 10-15years to spread (time it takes to replace the national fleet). Whereas with BEVs, any improvement in electricity generation or transmission will be passed down the chain almost instantly.

There are other issues like the obviously increasing scarcity of oil and the fluctuations in price. Transport is a tricky one and electric vehicles will never replace a decently designed urban space with proper cycling and transport links to reduce dependency on private cars.
    And You call me a straw man. I agree with you that the costs are all up front. Its the level of those costs that you clearly do not understand. 5 million per MW output is orders of magnitude more expensive that gas, oil coal or nuclear. At 30% efficiency and a life of 25 years power generated by wind is much more expensive than power generated by gas coal or oil. The difference in capital costs more than covers the cost of the fuel...
    What price for oil are you taking? Factoring in carbon taxes? You have not provided any figures to back up your claims.
    As for the pollution issue........ What is the greatest carbon sink in Ireland ? Where are wind farms installed ?
    As I've already said, most MW for future installation will be offshore.
    Wind Turbines are energy intensive to manufacture, ship and install. They are not pollution free any more than they produce free power. I have looked for but failed to find any independent research looking at the true environmental cost of wind turbines from design to disposal but what little bits I have been able to find shows that they are far from pollution free.
    Are you trying to argue that fossil fuels are comparable with renewables in terms of other types of pollution? I didn't say that they were pollution free - another strawman (you seem to like to look at things in absolutes).
    Not silly just miss informed. So some independent research as to the true cost of wind power.
    Where is this independent research?
    Load factor is the critical issue regarding the feasibility of wind power and there are not an infinite number of sites where higher load factors are available.
    Again, go look at offshore - Ireland has 10 times the amount of sea area as it does land. We also don't have to go as far offshore as Germany and other countries to get decent load factors.
    Even with a 35% load factor there will be significant periods of low or no power availability. Blackouts are not acceptable so alternative generation capacity needs to be kept as a backup.
    Perhaps at the moment backup is required but with greater interconnection and demand management technology, baseload capacity can be reduced.
    At the moment we are paying companies to build CGT generation plants purely to act as a backup for wind. As no business will invest in a power station when they are only allowed to sell power when their competitors (wind) cannot so we are paying them a capacity payment just to be available in case we need them...........

Wind without storage is not a reliable or secure power supply which is why it is worthless for exports.
    That doesn't make sense. At times when we have oversupply there is no reason why we cannot export wind energy.
    It is also expensive which makes to uncompetitive in an export market.
    This ignores the fact that many members states have EU obligations for final energy consumption to come from renewables. You're working purely off economics and ignoring the policy.
    Have you ever actually been to Carrigaline ? Do you know what shift patterns are like in the area ?
    Carrigaline, like any town, has local services and destinations that can be reached by bicycle if the will is there. Investment in cycle/pedestrian facilities will encourage people to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle instead. The plan also provides for facilities between Crosshaven and Carrigaline, a significant commuting route. The distance is only 5km - a very doable distance for cyclying to work.
    Do you have a problem with maps ? Look at Amsterdam and look where people live relative to where they work.

Look at Ireland and look at where people live relative to where they work.

Its not rocket science it involves look at the reality around you. A minority of people will be able to cycle to work the majority will not. Picking a figure of 150,000 based on the commute distance quoted in the census is a joke.

Imagine your a self employed plumber. What is your commute ?
    A sales man ?

There are many reasons why a short commute would be recorded on the census but would prevent you cycling.
    More 'all or nothing' logic. I'm aware of the urban patterns in Amsterdam and how they differ from here. The reality is over 200,000 people commute less than 4kms to work every day in Ireland. Many could and would not commute by bicycle/walking/public transport but many would if the right incentives were put in place. You think Amsterdam doesn't have any self-employed plumbers? :p
    Having a politician in charge result in a transparent planning system ? That where we have been going wrong....

<snip>

Planning should be the responsibility of professionals with overall policy set by government.
    Oh but planning policy has to come from somewhere. I don't think the Mayor of Dublin should be directly in charge of planning but in charge of making policy that influences planning decisions I don't see why GDA planing policy should be set by government, as it currently is. I gave the example of Bordeaux of a city where a directly elected mayor has done excellent work with the city in terms of planning, public transport and other infrastructure.
    Oh this is an area i know a little about. So cars are going ts use charging stations overnight.... Very .......... convenient......
    ? If you have something to say, say it. Electric cars will be charged at the person's house overnight.
    A 3 minute charge is years away at best and drive efficiencies down even further resulting in more power wastage.
    Source?
    You also seem to be confused on this topic. you tell me that electric cars are for urban use only then you have a discussion with Spongebob about motorway usage.
    I'm not confused - it's just not as black and white as you like to make it out to be. Personally, I see PHEVs as the best solution if people want grid cars that will also have a decent range in the near future.
    Based on current technology charging stations are a joke as charging times are two long.

It will work where you drive in for work, charge the car while in the office and then drive home but will not work like a petrol station as you previously implied. The range and refueling times mean that electric cars are only suitable for a small minority....
    I disagree. I think that if charging stations are located in areas like shopping centre car parks, or places where people will be willing to stop off for more than 20 minutes, there is no problem.
    You were quite happy to make a post claiming allot of credit on their behalf. If you make claims like that then be prepared to defend them.
    I was not claiming credit. Another poster asked for details on what the Green Party had achieved and I obliged. I am defending their positions but that does not mean you need to use such confrontational language.
    You made claims, I challenged them and you call be aggressive.

Get a grip.
    As I've already said, I don't mind claims being challenged. It is your tone that is aggressive and dismissive.
    The i-Miev will not do 160 kms in actual usage when you need to use lights, wipers and even want to turn on the radio.
    Source?
    I drive a diesel car. I have a range of 1,100km per tank (in reall world driving) and takes less than 5 minutes to fill.
    Well, good luck to you when the diesel runs out.
    You claimed a figure as fact that you now admit you may not reach. Now that's progress. Its also very expensive progress.. How much will the scheme cost again ?
    I didn't say we wouldn't reach that figure. I said we may not reach the figures or percentages of cities like Amsterdam of Copenhagen.
    How hard is this to understand ? The additional costs associated with wind energy is what causes the difference between wholesale costs (ie the cost of a MW of electricity coming out of Money-point) and the cost charged to the consumer.
    According to SEI, we do not have particularly high electricity costs:
    Using purchasing power parities, Ireland is cheaper than the average in the EU for domestic electricity in the two highest consumption bands and specifically in the highest consumption band (band DE) 13% below the average and in the second highest consumption band (band DD) 2% below.
    Load factors do improve off shore but so do costs. They increase dramatically for both installation and maintenance so overall efficiencies are the same. Off shore wind power is actually more expensive to produce than on shore.
    Where are your stats/source for overall efficiencies remaining the same?
    Are you willing to accept an installed cost for wing of 1.5 million per MW ?
    Yes, and say €2m/MW for offshore.
    Are you willing to accept an average load factor of 25 to 30% ?
    Offshore farms have seen average load factors of 35-40% - will you factor that in?
    Do you accept that wind power is neither reliable or secure and a backup supply must exist ? Do you accept that this back up must be paid for ?
    Well, at the moment backup supply must exist but demand management will significantly reduce required back-up capacity. Also, how much capacity already exists and what are the costs for maintaining capacity, even if it isn't used?
    The conflict of interest remains and there are very little checks and balances in place. If you don't believe me ask SEI just how many inspected there are monitoring the BER inspectors ?
    I have discussed this with SEI and each BER assessor is individually checked twice a year with regular random checks on the BER certificate results themselves. Do you have any other proof of the impact of the alleged lack of checks and balances?

knipex, am genuinely interested in your figures for wind costs.

Also, would you have any stats on the cost curves for renewables vs non renewables?

And what about cost of back up capacity vs storage costs? Is there not an issue with the inflexibility of baseload plants, resulting in great inefficiencies?

Also, what would you see as an ideal share of renewables in the electricity mix? Given that wind will probably make up the majority but that newer more reliable technologies like tidal are coming down the line (eg openHydro).

Also, I have seen demand management meters that can almost entirely match demand to supply at a household level.

And what impact would carbon tax have on levelling the cost field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

taconnol,

A quick question - and I know you are not the Green Party spokesman on boards, but you do seem to understand their "policies".

Green strategy seems to be to develop public transport by rail in preference to roads.

A related strategy seems to be to discourage the use of cars through taxing them off the road, through a revised system of motor tax and introducing carbon tax.

In my case, I have to travel from Galway to Dublin and back every weekend to attend to a chronically sick relative. I need my car (or a car) in Galway at weekends. The public transport system in Galway is at best inadequate and will take years if not decades to reach the levels aspired to by the Greens. A bus journey to Galway (and in Galway) take ridiculously long because the Galway Bypass has been opposed at every opportunity by the Greens. New road schemes are to be "reviewed" as part of the PFG and the emphasis is to be on Public Transport.

So....

I have to travel by car. My car is now substantially devalued due to the new VRT regime. My petrol will cost considerably more.

Now forget policy aspirations about mythical green cars (which has been admitted above have only range of 160km and which won't work for inter urban transport) and mythical frequent rail services.

What NOW has the Green Party done for me and the tens of thousands in a similar situation to me who have to travel throughout Ireland other than within Dublin?

Advertisement