Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parenthood

• 10-10-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Lauren Graham will replace Maura Tierney now

It will now be on NBC midseason

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Is Maura ill?...Graham is quite watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is Maura ill?
    Unfortunately, Maura Tierney got diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently undergoing treatment for it.

The show has already a bit of a curse with Maura's illness and an NBC executive collapsing and dying on set last year too (http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE5400AN20090501).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

Graham had better be careful with all that bad luck goin on!

^ latest ep. of Gossip Girl had a message at the end for a member of staff that died.

• Advertisement

Lauren Graham was always superb in 'Gilmore Girls'..

.. was always hoping she'd get a decent role after it ended.

She was in Bad Santa and got banged silly by Billy Bob....major eek moment!
    I saw her in a dire film with one half of Dumb & Dumber recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

basquille wrote: »
    Lauren Graham was always superb in 'Gilmore Girls'..

.. was always hoping she'd get a decent role after it ended.

Absolutely LOVE Lauren Graham, GG best thing ever on TV. Hopefully Parenthood will appear on Irish TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

flutegirl wrote: »
    GG best thing ever on TV.

Over the past month I've started watching the episodes currently running on E4.

Season 4 starting tomorrow, zomg I can't wait for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Known to millions as Gilmore Girls mum Lorelai, Lauren Graham is making her return to the small screen next month in NBC's Parenthood, a one-hour drama series inspired by Ron Howard's 1989 movie. The series - executive produced by Howard - sees Graham playing a cash-strapped single mother with two children who uproots her family to be closer to her parents and siblings in Berkeley. We caught up with the actress to hear her thoughts on the show, how it compares to Gilmore Girls and taking over from Maura Tierney.

What made you decide to come back to television?
    "The decision was a very instinctual one. I have been reading scripts for two and half or three years since Gilmore Girls ended. There just wasn't anything I connected to and that's including things that I was developing that maybe didn't exactly get to the place I wanted them to."

How different is it working as part of a big ensemble cast as opposed to carrying a show like you did with Gilmore Girls?
    "Well, it's more of a sane life to be part of an ensemble! I find that the work can be more specific too and I have to really make sure I know where I am in the story because I'm not in every scene. I have to think about where I am in terms of the arc of each episode in a deeper way."

How does Parenthood compare to Gilmore Girls?
    "The experience of doing the show is so totally different - the tone is so different and they don't remind me of each other at all. This show is less about verbal dexterity and long speeches and more about small moments and real behaviour."

How is Sarah different from Lorelai?
    "Sarah's really struggling in her life and she's not in a great place - she hasn't reached her potential in a lot of ways. The feeling of living in your parents' house at 38 doesn't make you feel too great! The character I played in the past was always winning, in a way. This is someone who has much further to go to reach any of her dreams and that was all appealing to me."

Which character do you have more fun playing?
    "What I've discovered and what I've really enjoyed about [Parenthood] is that I'm finding the many ways in which this character just continues to feel like a failure. Lorelai Gilmore had a very sunny outlook on things and it's been really interesting for me to play someone who is shouldering a lot of baggage in terms of being disappointed about where she is in life."

You replaced Maura Tierney in the role. Have you watched the original pilot?
    "I did not - I didn't watch it, no."

How did it feel to take over from her?
    "It felt really difficult in ways and I've put a lot of pressure on myself to really do a great job. I hoped that the actors wouldn't mind doing a scene a second time with me. It didn't so much feel like taking over - it was like we all started anew. This is a very special group of people and there's a great feeling on set - it's a functional and dysfunctional family of its own."

The show is a re-imagining of the movie. Was it difficult stepping into a role which is based on an existing one?
    "I didn't feel daunted by the movie. I loved that movie and loved Diane Weist so much. The thing you must really do in television is bring yourself to everything you do - you can't try to be anybody else. You can feel the movie in it, but it doesn't feel like a copy in any way."

Parenthood premieres Tuesday, March 2 at 10pm on NBC.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

peter krause and craig t nelson also in the cast should be watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I read a couple of US TV reviews and they both highlights the similarities between this and Brothers & Sisters.

My expectations are low :rolleyes:

It was pretty good, all it has in common with the movie is the title, NOTHING else. No comedy, it's family drama which reminds somewhat of Brother & Sisters. Graham is solid, it's all the interpersonal relationships, family, problems, kids etc.

Nothing new but the pilot was enjoyable enough, i'll watch a couple more eps.
    Did anyone notice Monica Potter?...her face looks different!, i know she's older but she was one of the mostly cutely stunning girl i've seen in many a moon, from her early career etc.

But her mouth looks different, less pouty...like she's had work done to her face. Mae Whitman....ahh, i've been keeping an eye on her for some time!

Christensen, mmmmm.....pish, and people think i'm a girl! [rolls eyes]

TarfHead wrote: »
    I read a couple of US TV reviews and they both highlights the similarities between this and Brothers & Sisters.

My expectations are low :rolleyes:

LOL!...i didn't read your posting before i posted my comments!

Gets a second season: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/20/parenthood-renewed-for-second-season-by-nbc/49188

I stopped watching after ep. 4....not my taste.

Gets a second season: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/20/parenthood-renewed-for-second-season-by-nbc/49188

I stopped watching after ep. 4....not my taste.
    It's a decent show.. the writing is above average (for it's genre) and it's worth it for Graham and Krause (who are two of my favourite TV actors).

I'll definitely keep watching.. but I can see myself growing tired of it (a lá Brothers And Sisters)!

I hope Jason Ritter stays around full time. I like Mark

Joy Bryant and Tyree Brown — who play Dax Shepard’s onscreen girlfriend Jasmine and son Jabbar respectively — have been upgraded to full-fledged series regulars.

I lost all interest in this show after four eps. - but apparently it got better after this, judging by the ratings. meh....not bothered, i need to axe a few shows as it's getting a little hectic.

• Advertisement

I lost all interest in this show after four eps. - but apparently it got better after this, judging by the ratings. meh....not bothered, i need to axe a few shows as it's getting a little hectic.
    Jaysus.. don't judge quality by the ratings!

It's a grand little show.. as I've said, it's definitely better written than some of the family-geared fare that's on network TV!

Not amazing, a tad overly saccharine but entertaining!

Season 2 starts tonight
    William Baldwin reunites with Peter Krause only now he's his mean boss and not his tranny-loving client

BTW Peter Krause and Lauren Graham are dating in real life

No one watching?....the ratings for season 2 are well down on last year, it's quite close to cancellation territory!

Last nights ep. was quite poor:

Parenthood
    - 4.663 million viewers
    - 3.1/5 HH
    - 2.0/5 A18-49

http://tvbythenumbers.com/parenthood-nbc

Parenthood creator Jason Katims has dismissed rumours that the show is about to be cancelled.

The producer confirmed to TV Guide that the NBC comedy-drama had received a full order for 22 episodes.

"The network has been very supportive and there hasn't been any signal at all that they were pulling back from the show," he claimed.

Katims acknowledged that any concerns about the show's future are probably a result of no new episodes airing in December.

"If that rumour came out of not airing [that month], that's been the plan from the beginning," he explained. "The network... wants [the show] to be successful as much as everybody on the show does. So their scheduling is very much part of making us successful. [They want to] air the episodes at times when it has the most chance of being seen by a large audience."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a286326/parenthood-creator-denies-axe-rumours.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Didn't see a thread so thought I'd start one. Based on the film, looks good and has a good cast. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416765/

It's mid-way through it's second season in the US, and it's decent - fairly undemanding but watchable..

.. Lauren Graham and Peter Krause are the best things about it unsuprisingly.

And it's actually the second TV series based on the film - the first was in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I see Monica Potter (from Along Came A Spider) is in this ... Surprised she was picked for this.. She's certainly gorgeous, but I'm not sure she's a good enough actress..

Starts on RTE 2 this Thursday at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Might stick with it this time. Gave up around episode 7 season one stateside.

• Advertisement

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Parenthood-Scott-Foster-1029527.aspx
    Greek star Scott Michael Foster has been tapped to guest-star on NBC's Parenthood, TVLine.com reports.
    Foster will play a love interest for Amber (Mae Whitman) for a multi-episode arc. The pair will meet when Amber gets a job at her aunt's law firm, where he works as a valet
    The 25-year-old actor will first appear in late April. In the meantime, the series finale of Greek is slated to air Monday, March 7 at 9/8c on ABC Family. Parenthood airs Tuesdays at 10/9c on NBC.

:)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://www.tvline.com/2011/08/parenthood-john-corbett-returning/

John Corbett and Jason Ritter return for Season 3
    'The Event' didn't work out very well for him.. did it?! :D

Parenthood returns to NBC for season 3 this Tuesday@10.

Deadline is reporting that Parendhood has had it's episode order expanded from 16 - 18 episodes, it'll probably get the full 22 as NBC is in the toilet and this show is the only bright spot, ratings wise.

• Advertisement

Season 2 starts on RTE 2 late night tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 19 40047002

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Season 2 starts on RTE 2 late night tomorrow
    Is that episode definitely new? A couple of listings magazines and also RTE's online tv guide have it listed as a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zedge789

40047002 wrote: »
    Is that episode definitely new? A couple of listings magazines and also RTE's online tv guide have it listed as a repeat.

I just checked it there. it starts tonight at about 00:50 i think on RTE 2, and it is the new series as the episode title is " I Hear You, I See You" which according to IMBD is the first episode of the second series. Unusual that its on so late though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Was just about to start a thread about this after seeing the listing for tonight.
    Can't wait... yay :D
    Wonder what made them put it on in the middle of the night though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zedge789

stacexD wrote: »
    Was just about to start a thread about this after seeing the listing for tonight.
    Can't wait... yay :D
    Wonder what made them put it on in the middle of the night though

probably something to do with the ratings it got in the US. the amount of other programs on tonight that are in more demand like greys and desp housewives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 40047002

Rte airing it at 12.50 wouldn't have anything to do with it's American ratings as it is the no.1 drama on NBC over there. It's first season ratings were low when RTE aired it on a Thursday at 9pm but they were lot higher than Brothers and Sisters' which aired before it. Really Unfair! I'll agree that it didn't deserve a prime time slot but it deserved a better time slot than 12.50!

Another FNL star joins
    Parenthood showrunner Jason Katims has recruited Matt Lauria to join the NBC drama in a major recurring role for Season 4

He will play
    a returning soldier from Afghanistan who bonds with fellow war vet Zeek (Craig T. Nelson).

Season 4 kicks off tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I like the new addition to the family, but will be sad that Haddie won't be around. Hopefully she'll return for thanksgiving/christmas based episodes at least.

Season 4 finale on Tuesday....dunno about renewal chances or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Renewal chances are quite high according to tvbythenumbers.com and various other sources. It's close enough to syndication and has decent enough ratings to get itself another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I wouldn't be worried about renewal. It's pretty established and popular in its slot.

I find it enjoyable, it does veer into "after school special" at times but it has a talented cast and it's a nice gentle watch.

Renewed for a fifth season, 22 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Delighted, and not just the renewal but a full season to boot. Nicely done, NBC.

Very glad it good the full season renewal... Didn't have near enough Parenthood this year at only 15 episodes...

• Advertisement
Advertisement