Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Anderson: "recovering"

• 10-10-2009 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I can't find the old thread we had here a month ago - the search function is not working - and I wanted to see if anybody has the latest on Gareth Anderson.

Gareth was the 19-year-old from Down whose father Brian was all over the media in September because his son had been on a drinking binge and ended up in hospital with the hospital telling him his son would die in a few weeks unless he received a liver transplant.
    However, because his damage was ostensibly caused because of alcohol abuse, the liver transplant people said he had to be alcohol free for months before the transplant - by which time, of course, he was expected to be dead. The last I heard was when he "escaped" from hospital and went across the road and ordered drinks from a pub. His father, who had been campaigning strongly for him, was livid saying he needed psychiatric help urgently. I had heard his Dad's interview with Éamonn Keane on Newstalk one day and I was deeply moved by him hence my interest.

Anyway, I googled so here's what I've found. According to The Irish Times (1 October), Gareth is apparently recovering back in Belfast after six weeks in hospital in London. Brian Anderson had this to say:

“The news is absolutely fantastic. His liver is beginning to revitalise and our hope now is that he won’t need a liver transplant,”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1001/1224255613938.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Man whose drinking damaged liver recovering

worst headline ever..

good to hear the lads getting better, I hope he learns a lesson from all of this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

worst headline ever..

good to hear the lads getting better, I hope he learns a lesson from all of this

Grammatically, possibly. But I'd be fairly certain - and medical people involved agreed - that he had a weak liver to begin with. Plenty of lads drink much more and survive longer than 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Mister anderson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

is this the guy with all the UDA and UVF sh*t all over his Bebo page???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So after throwing a Tantrum and demanding his Alco son be given a Liver above everybody else and that his son would be dead in a few days without it. Now it turns out he didn't need it after all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's a good thing they didn't waste a liver on him.

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So after throwing a Tantrum and demanding his Alco son be given a Liver above everybody else and that his son would be dead in a few days without it. Now it turns out he didn't need it after all?

He never demanded that his son should be given priority, he only asked that the compulsory 6 month waiting period be waived because of his age and circumstances.

I'm sure any parent would do the same for their child, alco or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

markok84 wrote: »
    is this the guy with all the UDA and UVF sh*t all over his Bebo page???

This appears to be his bebo page - http://o.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1849626349 - but I can't find any loyalist stuff on it. He does, however, seem like an exceptionally immature dickhead (even for a 19-year-old). His father, however, seemed like the nicest and most caring man you could meet. I felt for him and got the impression that maybe his son could someday amount to something more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Rebelheart wrote: »
    This appears to be his bebo page - http://o.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1849626349 - but I can't find any loyalist stuff on it. He does, however, seem like an exceptionally immature dickhead (even for a 19-year-old). His father, however, seemed like the nicest and most caring man you could meet. I felt for him and got the impression that maybe his son could someday amount to something more.

http://o.bebo.com/WhiteBoardThread.jsp?WhiteBoardTopicId=1849946931&MemberId=1849626349

I dunno, maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm indifferent to his plight, I reckon we'll be hearing about him again, hopefully he learned his lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

retard wrote:
    Bout ye! since i left school I'm a full time stoner and alcoholic and growing fonder of perscription drugs...

Dear lord

Happiest When : when the offie opens..havin some smoke

Yeah, he deserves a liver alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysusjones

So Mr Anderson, Whats it to be?

The Red or the Blue Aftershock?

Advertisement