Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco: do they sell any Irish chips now?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

brummytom wrote: »
    They're fúcking chips!!

My family weren't even in this country at the time of any of the things you've mentioned, I've no affiliation whatsoever except being born here. My family were persecuted just as much as anyone - do you think the black and tans didn't go near them?
    I don't have any romantic conception of what the flag means ('your' country is in it too by the way).. it's just a load of colours to me.

You can't hold the actions of a disgusting British tyranny against a load of fúcking potatoes.

Er, when the "load of fúcking potatoes" is using the flag of the British empire, that is the Union Jack you are so keen about defending, it is very much a link of choice. I, as a consumer, also have a right to make my choice. In Ireland, there are many people who still call your flag the "Butcher's Apron". Some day you will, with the help of God, finally learn why. You won't be so quick to defend it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

do your shopping in dunnes, supervalue and other Irish shops. Why give your hard earned money to the brits?
    No i dont go around in a silly english soccer jersey and refer to english teams as "we" and "us"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Er, when the "load of fúcking potatoes" is using the flag of the British empire, that is the Union Jack you are so keen about defending, it is very much a link of choice. I, as a consumer, also have a right to make my choice. In Ireland, there are many people who still call your flag the "Butcher's Apron". Some day you will, with the help of God, finally learn why. You won't be so quick to defend it then.

Ah don't mind him folks, he's a christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm not a moron.. I've a keen interest in Irish history. The actions of the British Government were deplorable - and for the record, I'm not defending them at all, don't you dare accuse me of that.

Fair enough, you don't like products with the flag on.. personally, I find Geri Haliwell wearing the flag far more disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

How about I get "over the past" when that flag is no longer flying in Ireland? Oh, you sounded so cool in the PC sense; all you have to do is block out the reality.

Why don't you just do what ejmaztec said and take the chip off your shoulder and put it in your mouth. Just lounge back in the republican armchair youre lying in atm.
    If you want a free Ireland go out and fight for it and get off the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why give your hard earned money to the brits?
    Cuz Tesco sells nice stuff. A lot of my hard earned money won't be going to "the Brits" anyway - it will be going towards paying Irish Tesco workers.

Presume it's cool that British companies are creating jobs here while the economy's in the crapper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's a myth.

AH poetic licence.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Some day you will, with the help of God, finally learn why. You won't be so quick to defend it then.

I hope that you don't literally mean that because your 'god' has killed more people that the brits. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

What other flag should they put on the packet to inform consumers of the product's origin?

• Advertisement

This thread dispels any notion of Irish comedy being crap.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Well, actually, as I implied, I don't particularly like the British Union Jack gracing the place. With its connotations of centuries of occupation and dispossession, the executions in 1916 and the massacre in Derry, it makes for a rather unpleasant meal. I, accordingly, avoid any product upon which it is emblassoned. And your problem with this is what, precisely?

I expect companies will be owned by people/corporations from many states, be they firms or pension funds. Unlike you, I am not under the illusion that Tesco is wholly British owned. It's not; indeed its largest single shareholder is the global fund of a bank: http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/?lid=253

Grow up and stop swallowing the British media's spin on everything.

Grow up and get over the 'Brits out, Up the Rah' bull****, I'd be quite confident you weren't even born before the majority of the troubles. If you want to actually hit back at the British might as well do it in a significant way, boycotting their chip companines isn't going to do much.

do your shopping in dunnes, supervalue and other Irish shops. Why give your hard earned money to the brits?
    No i dont go around in a silly english soccer jersey and refer to english teams as "we" and "us"
    Presumably you don't watch any tv channels other than RTE/TV3?

You do realize all the Irish stores sell English products? Do you check the label?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Hate the English (chips) ?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This thread dispels any notion of Irish comedy being crap.:pac:

My mother always said "dont feed the trolls" but its soo tempting!

Presumably you don't watch any tv channels other than RTE/TV3?

You do realize all the Irish stores sell English products? Do you check the label?
    Dont watch much t.v, dont buy any english produce in shops either

its realise, not realize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Er, when the "load of fúcking potatoes" is using the flag of the British empire, that is the Union Jack you are so keen about defending, it is very much a link of choice. I, as a consumer, also have a right to make my choice.

Yeah, you make your choice, to shop in a store who sends vast amounts of its profits outside Ireland. You are a plastic Republican. If you were the real deal, you'd only consider buying your groceries in fully Irish establishments and buying only Irish. But, lets be honest, you couldnt be arsed going to that kind of bother. You just spout a lot of hate on web forums and tell yourself you are 'fightin' for Ireland!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've noticed this in the past 4 weeks: Tesco has removed all its Irish French Fries - e.g. Green Isle - and replaced them with British imports, usually with a Union Jack on them. My diet has, needless to say, improved dramatically!

As I sit here eating carrots, I'd like to know: what is going on in Tesco, policy wise, that the Irish produce is certainly been pushed off the shelves in the frozen food section, and appears to be pushed off the shelves throughout their stores?

Thanks.
    Hang on, FRENCH fries? You see no problem with eating those symbols of their colonisation and exploitation of countries in north africa and the west indies? Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I presume the OP supports us removing the irish flag from our exports lest anyone who doesn't support the actions of the IRA (past or present) be offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

All I can say is wow.

Just fukking wow.

its realise, not realize

Any barcode starting in a 5 is from Britian. Just check! You'll be naked and only eating turnip before the nights out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What other flag should they put on the packet to inform consumers of the product's origin?
    "Warning: British produce. But don't let that put you off, I thought we put all that behind us?"

smk89 wrote: »
    Why don't you just do what ejmaztec said and take the chip off your shoulder and put it in your mouth. Just lounge back in the republican armchair youre lying in atm.

If you could get out of the stereotypes you have been fed, think for yourself and contribute accordingly you may be worth listening to. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

We live in hope.

PS: I note nobody has yet answered the original question. The historically illiterate are keen to run to the defence of John Bull, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Namlub wrote: »
    Hang on, FRENCH fries? You see no problem with eating those symbols of their colonisation and exploitation of countries in north africa and the west indies? Disgraceful.
    OP has already eluded towards putting Irishness ahead of humanity with that "What other symbol could mean so much to an Irishman?" comment.

Namlub wrote: »

Good point; and what about the fact that the potato was brought to Europe by a Brit from a British colony. I nearly choked on my gnochi.

smk89 wrote: »
    Any barcode starting in a 5 is from Britian. Just check! You'll be naked and only eating turnip before the nights out

Dont think so boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

If you could get out of the stereotypes you have been fed, think for yourself and contribute accordingly you may be worth listening to. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

We live in hope.

PS: I note nobody has yet answered the original question. The historically illiterate are keen to run to the defence of John Bull, it seems.

It has been answered

its realise, not realize

Actually, both spellings are perfectly acceptable. 'Realise' is just ENGLISH, 'Realize' is American.

Next time you try and be a smart arse, make sure your fúcking grammar is correct.

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I presume the OP supports us removing the irish flag from our exports lest anyone who doesn't support the actions of the IRA (past or present) be offended?

When the IRA runs Britain for centuries, imposes the Brehon Law and Irish upon that society and deprives the natives there of their land and power for centuries, come back to me. In the meantime, try, please try, and not be such an undereducated arsehole. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

original question,more or less,answered in post 5 ,i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Presumably because the baffling attitude of the original post outshone the inanity of the original question.

• Advertisement

Dont think so boss

ok ok its technically 50 heres the link

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp121.htm

barcodes contain 4 pieces of info: country of origin, manufacturers code, product code and check digit.
    Thats the first time ive used stuff ive learned in school in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

When the IRA runs Britain for centuries, imposes the Brehon Law and Irish upon that society and deprives the natives there of their land and power for centuries, come back to me. In the meantime, try, please try, and not be such an undereducated arsehole. Thank you.

The IRA were greatly supported here in Brum you know? Collections for them ran in pubs and folk clubs. Their thanks? Blowing up two of our Pubs... that's gratitude for you :)

Anyway, back on topic... they're chips

See; its much easier for 'Rebelheart' to spout a little bit of bile like the above rather than actually do something that practically supports his dear Ireland and the Irish; like buying Irish in the local grocer rather than going to Tesco as he presently does. He is the definition of a keyboard warrior. Sad.

Isn't Green Isle Foods part of the UK Northern Foods group? You could have been eating alien chips before, and I would seek medical advice immediately.:eek:

They also did the dirty on the Republic and now own Donegal Catch as well.:(

eightyfish wrote: »
    Irish distributors are more expensive and Irish products are more expensive than their British counterparts, especially when sourced with Tesco’s buying might in the UK. They used to source from Irish suppliers in the south, but use their UK channels in the north. As part of the “border prices on your doorstep” campaign, the southern Irish stores have become much more like their NI counterparts, even sharing whole identical product-layout plans. This gets us low prices but is bad for Irish food producer’s jobs. It also means that they can sell products at prices that the Irish supermarkets haven’t a hope of matching at anything like the same profit margin.

Buy Irish!

Thank you, eightyfish, for being the only person to answer my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fucking hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement