Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAS EIRCOM INTRODUCED A NEW BOX THAT REMOVES NEED FOR ADSL FILTER- I/ BT/VODAFONE

• 10-10-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

I am supposed to have up to 7.6mbs but usually get 3.42. However my line and BB is with BT and they have now gone to vodafone. I pay 70 pm for everything, free calls etc but vodafone pacakge is cheaper, doubt I will ever get it reduced. Anyway I was in neighbours hosue receently and notice his bb was hooked up to a wall socket with no sign of an adsl filter and a phone was plugged in as well and worked. i moved phone to another socket and it worked with no filter.

His speed was poor but now he is a steady 6mb. Has eircom a new box that might improve speeds like the UK BT i Plate? And can I get it and fix it myself

I seem to be left in limbo and I am losing the heart to complain.

gb--

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Integrated fliter sockets are not new but eircom fitting one for you is unless the house has a Phonewatch alarm (I think).

Stop a van next time and ask .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Slingers

I got eircom to fit the socket with a built in filter only the other day, because I am having alot of problems with the broadband service, it did nothing to improve anything, although it is tidier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks both, I'll do a separate post for that BT I Plate gadget.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Integrated fliter sockets are not new but eircom fitting one for you is unless the house has a Phonewatch alarm (I think).

Stop a van next time and ask .

I have one of those filters and it made a big difference...However to be honest if you're with Vodafone I can't see Eircom having a big incentive to fit one. If you're good with wiring...It'd be a little more complicated than electrical wiring...but you may be able to fit it yourself. The reason it works is that it means the DSL signal only goes to the router, not the rest of the phone sockets. Also if your router is not plugged into the first socket then that could be the cause of your low speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thank you, there may be hope yet. I have the router plugged into the main socket but there are also about 5 extensions off. I did disconnect all and got no improvement. About 2 miles from exchange. Neighbour is about half a mile closer. He was having problems and that new box has him sorted but they may have done other changes up the chain.

I'll stop a van! Is there any special name for the box?

gbcullen

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I'll stop a van! Is there any special name for the box?

The 'new' socket with the filter in it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As spongebob has said its only a socket with a filter and is known as a SSFP within the UK, it only reduces noise.

Odds are for yourself if your getting 3.4MB then you might get a little bit more but this is it, your on a UPTO 7.6MB service this does not mean eircom are doing anything wrong by not giving you 7.6MB on the button.

Speed you receive is due to physical limitations of ADSL technology and are beyond eircom's control

The i-plate introduced by BT Wholesale in the UK is to do with a specific issue with which can be an issue for some users

Advertisement