Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

escape niteclub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

sorrywhat wrote: »
    You've an awful habit of stereotyping people that go to certain places.

yeah cause its true.and thats why i try and avoid those places.

as Emo said ya wouldnt go to certain places cause ya know what they would be like.with the crowd,drink prices,music etc.so if ya dont like them ya tend to avoid them.thats only my opinion about geoffs,you have your opinions about places and youre entitled to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Out of curiosity Emo, when was the last time you were in Rubys?
    wednesday last week, went there cause most of the people i was with wanted to go there, walked in paid the fiver or whatever it was, stayed ten minutes and left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

anplaya wrote: »
    yeah cause its true.and thats why i try and avoid those places.

as Emo said ya wouldnt go to certain places cause ya know what they would be like.with the crowd,drink prices,music etc.so if ya dont like them ya tend to avoid them.thats only my opinion about geoffs,you have your opinions about places and youre entitled to them.

Yea thats partially true. I dont go to some pubs because I have been in them and didnt like them, but I wouldnt say I dont go to geoffs because they are all pretentious [EMAIL="w@ankers"]w@ankers[/EMAIL].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And Emo, what kind of music do you like? Or do you like to hear in a night club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Yea thats partially true. I dont go to some pubs because I have been in them and didnt like them, but I wouldnt say I dont go to geoffs because they are all pretentious [EMAIL="w@ankers"]w@ankers[/EMAIL].

My feelings on geoffs are known at this stage, BUT I must admit that I went in there las saturday night and I thought it was grand. In saying that I just came up from the wwacky apple and by jesus I'd happily live in Ruby's then go into that fecking place again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

And Emo, what kind of music do you like? Or do you like to hear in a night club?

My opinion music wise in a club, I’m going by the club I play In Clonmel, Your main night club are area would be the latest chart, Commercial Dance and Rnb and the old school tunes, 70 and 80’ are more suited to a disco bar with your current chart stuff, as you have a more mixed crowd and the second area of the club caters for this. Just playing every style of music in the main part of a club doesn’t sound good, you will never keep everyone happy, and you will always get moaners that nothing is ever good enough as proven on this thread

I just find it interesting, I mean, if you don't like old skool, RnB, house, remixes etc...then you have no business going in a niteclub, and consequently, in my opinion, no business complaining about them. Unless of course that niteclub is advertising a rock night or something like that, and you don't get what's on the tin.

Rubys, on some nights, will play a lot of old skool, a bit of old skool hip hop, a smijin of the charts, some house and some dance. For the average nite clubber, this is a perfect mix. Escape, a disco bar, not a nite club, is a superb place to go for people who are not into the night club scene...cocktails, shots, a bit of class as some would say. Harveys, although i haven't been there in a long time, is another classy venue. I was in geoffs today and I really enjoyed it...had a tea first...then a budvar...a great chat with my mate...(music was a bit too loud at times for the time of day that it was - but they were playing the stone roses at the time and i appreciated that) and generally I had a nice few hours.

The problem is that there's not enough people in the town to sustain that many venues...so a lot are closing, and the rest are under pressure to appeal to as many as possible.

Yea thats partially true. I dont go to some pubs because I have been in them and didnt like them, but I wouldnt say I dont go to geoffs because they are all pretentious w@ankers.

i have been there numerous times and i dont like the place.thats what it seems like to me.we'll agree to diasgree ok then? who cares anyway?

Well said, but is Escape not being advertised as a nightclub? Why call it a nightclub if its not one? I agree with you it dosent look like a night club, and anplaya if you dont like that place dont go there, easy as:)

It is, but to be honest if we were in a bigger city there could be 10 night clubs and they'd all look differently...to us it's more of a disco bar

• Advertisement

Well said, but is Escape not being advertised as a nightclub? Why call it a nightclub if its not one? I agree with you it dosent look like a night club, and anplaya if you dont like that place dont go there, easy as:)

as i said only my opinion.sometimes it cant be avoided going there.as i said it wouldnt be my choice. anyway,who cares.ye go wherever ye want to go.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Agree with Bluezar.

More of Disco Bar than a club.

I generally wouldnt be into commercial clubs or any of the sort but went down here to visit a mate on Sunday.
    reminded me of being
    The main dance floor is way to bright aswell.
    Music is terrible, ranging from cotton eye joe to eiffel 65 to new commercial music Terrible dj too. ha

Looks well/modern though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

PatrickD32 wrote: »

Looks well/modern though.

i dont mean to sound lyk a [EMAIL="smart@rse"]smart@rse[/EMAIL] but its a fairly new building so it would want to look modern ha nd the club just opened under a year ago

Ledger

Ledger wrote: »
    i dont mean to sound lyk a [EMAIL="smart@rse"]smart@rse[/EMAIL] but its a fairly new building so it would want to look modern ha nd the club just opened under a year ago

Ledger

I know its new yep.
    Shur I live in town. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ha sorry man lyk i said didnt mean to sound lyk a [EMAIL="smart@rse"]smart@rse[/EMAIL] lol

Ledger

haha no bother

Patrcik D. Can I ask you a question? why are you going to a commerical club if your not into that sort of thing, I normally head in here most Sunday nights after Muldoons as im not a fan of Rubys, and the last time I saw an escape flyer it is a cheese night on a Sunday so you are getting whats on the can, Im a dj myself in Galway and Wexford, and if it is the same dj that is in there on Sundays, he is a good dj, if he was **** I would say it, Muldoons might be more suited to your ears by the sounds of it and if its an i pod dj that you are into that fades one track in after another Muldoons is really the palce for you.

Patrcik D. Can I ask you a question? why are you going to a commerical club if your not into that sort of thing.

I generally dont go to such clubs but I was meeting an old friend there, and the girls bday which she was at wanted to go there.
    So it wasnt out of my choice. That would be why.

Muldoons might be more suited to your ears by the sounds of it and if its an i pod dj that you are into that fades one track in after another Muldoons is really the palce for you.

By the sound of it? My comment on 1 new venue and you are able to narrow down a venue which you think would be to my liking? Hardly now. I do not like Muldoons either.

Im a dj myself in Galway and Wexford, and if it is the same dj that is in there on Sundays, he is a good dj, if he was **** I would say it, Muldoons might be more suited to your ears by the sounds of it and if its an i pod dj that you are into that fades one track in after another Muldoons is really the palce for you.
    Whats a dj supposed to do?
    Disc Jockey.
    Someone that mixes 2tunes together well and smoothly would be my take on it.
    Ipod fade in Muldoons?? dont know about that as I dont go there.
    Numerous spinback sounds before next tune was brought in and played. Mixing was atrocious, song choices were an epic fail.
    Unless your into your "spinback mixing" and " voice over " mixing then grand haha!
    Usually these commercial clubs are cheesy and if I do get stuck going to one, Id expect the usual cheese mixed not so well but when I was in Escape it really took the biscuit. Having to hear "mark mccabe - maniac 2000" being played not long after latest commercial hip hop-tune? and then 'mixed' back into "eifel 65" or "cotton eye joe" Come off it :D

ha ha you make me laugh, fair enough if you were dragged there by friends not your fault, but Patrick as I said its a chessey music night, thats whats your going to hear, and the songs you are saying that he was playing, I play these myself an odd time and the fill the dance floor, but I do hate Mark Mccabe:D but they work im afraid to say, they might not be to your taste but you cant keep everyone happy, Just like yourself ha ha It just annoys me when people dont know what they are talking about, If you ever take up djn you might change your mind , every drunk in the place looking for this and that, Its not as easy as you think, Just standing up for djs:) anyway thats me done

ha ha are you takin the pish?
    So a cheesy Music night excuses terrible mixing, or have you chosen not to reply to that part.
    The crowd that in their falling over themselves on floor dont care whats played and theres no need drag anybody out when ya have such people on the floor. As they wouldnt even notice whats played.

It just annoys me when people dont know what they are talking about, If you ever take up djn you might change your mind , every drunk in the place looking for this and that, Its not as easy as you think, Just standing up for djs:) anyway thats me done

I know exactly what Im talking about, as I dont throw my mouth off on topics I know nothing about. I have decks at home and have well over 20/30 close mates who dj. And when they do have to play cheese, as least its mixed and consistent. Its not as if im just another drunken student requesting rihanna or latest top song in charts mouthing off on something I know nothing about. Also note I was sober going in and when leaving Escape. :D

Maybe i should have got locked before going in to appreciate or just to not not remember the poorness of music choices and so called 'mixing' :D

• Advertisement

Cant comment on the mixing part as I wasnt there:rolleyes: but if you have every drunken knob coming up looking for this and that every 2 minutes, Im sure the mixing goes out the window, most people dont even notice the mixing they are so pissed apart from fellow djs, or if your doing a house or techno night fair enough mixing has to be bang on. You go into a disco bar with a set play list mixed perfect with your bmps flowing at 130 for the night, and I can guarntee you it will go out the window with a mixed crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

Id have to agree with music man, you do your best to plan for a gig but you can get 30 people come up to you during the night asking for songs that are polar opposite to what your doing at the time...gotta read the crowd...tbh not many people listen to the mixing (unless its absolute crap).

As for the 'ive got decks and so do my freinds'...some of my friends have footballs, doesnt mean they know how to play. You can fault mixing as it can be good or bad but song choice is down to what kind of night it is, time of the night and crowd in at the time. Gonna defend dj's on this one...seen some AWESOME djs close up and you cant fault them but ive never been somewhere that makes cheese sound good (unless ive been drinking :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sorry to drag this thread up again but I had to make a comment, I was in Waterford over the Christmas for our annual meet up with two old friends of mine and we ended up in Escape, not knowing much about it.

Seriously, the place is awful, OK, granted it was the Monday night after Christmas but the music was terrible, plenty of tarted up little tramps everywhere and I was just getting a bad vibe from the place. It's tiny too and the music was way too loud! I don't mind good quality sounds played at high volume around the dance floor etc but this place was just too small for the volume the music was.
    Oh, and what's the story with the finger scanning at the cloakroom? OK, a great idea in theory (ya aint going to lose your finger...hopefully!) but the system was pathetic, it took ages to scan, should be dumped if it doesn't work properly.

We left after one [overpriced] round and ended up in Electric Avenue at some Beatles tribute act, had a great night, good atmosphere and lots of decent friendly people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Seriously, the place is awful, OK, granted it was the Monday night after Christmas but the music was terrible, plenty of tarted up little tramps everywhere and I was just getting a bad vibe from the place. It's tiny too and the music was way too loud! I don't mind good quality sounds played at high volume around the dance floor etc but this place was just too small for the volume the music was.

Haha, sounds like they're doing something right to attract the demographic that the likes of Rubys would kill for! Seriously though, of the crowds that populate the "traditional" nightclubs in town (i.e. the ones that play pop and dance music), Escape probably has the best crowd.
    Oh, and what's the story with the finger scanning at the cloakroom? OK, a great idea in theory (ya aint going to lose your finger...hopefully!) but the system was pathetic, it took ages to scan, should be dumped if it doesn't work properly.

With a bit more tweaking (eg: get you to sign up for membership) it will enable the place to actively target people. At the moment it can track the custom/activity of random people (Guest #121 comes in Mondays and Fridays) but if they attach a phone number and name to your fingerprint they can market towards you ("Hey Dave, why not try out Escape this Saturday night - free cocktail especially for you if you get there before midnight").

We left after one [overpriced] round and ended up in Electric Avenue at some Beatles tribute act, had a great night, good atmosphere and lots of decent friendly people.

I'm pretty sure Escape is cheaper than the other nightclubs. As for the night you were out, I would have loved to have gone to that tribute but finished work late. Glad to hear they were good and here's hoping that Lebowski throw on some Beatles wigs again sometime in the future.

I think the man that told them to do a beatles tribute is a genius. Heard he's a handsome fcuker too.

Anyway, I have to laugh about the escape crowd being better than other night clubs seeing as though it seems to be the same crowd going to and from the same clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

AdMMM wrote: »
    Glad to hear they were good and here's hoping that Lebowski throw on some Beatles wigs again sometime in the future.

They're playing another Beatles night in EA in March. It was a brill night on 28th, glad others enjoyed it too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

vixenbees wrote: »
    They're playing another Beatles night in EA in March. It was a brill night on 28th, glad others enjoyed it too :)

Beekay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

kryogen wrote: »
    Beekay?

No - his other half!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

ah ive been in there once or twice (one occasion was PARTICULARLY good:D), and it wasnt bad. the tunes werent bad. its like anywhere youll have some nites better than others, havent been recently due to an abundance of dryarses, but enjoyed it the few times have been. Like Old school dance and alternative classics and some rock, but the few places that play that kind of music can have the aura of being unwelcome to someone, ie; you dont look the part, your not normally here, your hair aint long enough etc:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

jesus this thread is like road runner, it just wont go down :)

Advertisement